Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success

+2
Sal
gatorfan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

(CNN) -- Charles Barkley hasn't met a sensitive topic he couldn't dig into, and now he's speaking on what he calls a "dirty, dark secret" in the African-American community.
During an interview with a Philadelphia radio station, Barkley expounded on claims that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson wasn't liked by some of his teammates in part because he wasn't considered to be "black enough."
Barkley said he wasn't at all surprised.

"There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success," Barkley said. "It's best to knock a successful black person down 'cause they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful. It's crabs in a barrel. ... We're the only ethnic group that says, 'hey, if you go to jail, it gives you street cred.' "

The concept of "crabs in a barrel" isn't new, and it's universal. If you've ever seen a bucket of crabs at the market, the ones at the bottom will try to pull down the crabs that are closer to the top.
"I lived this, and if it weren't for my parents I wouldn't have pushed through it," one Twitter user said in response to Barkley's comments.

Education advocate and CNN contributor Dr. Steve Perry is another observer who agrees with Barkley.

Others have been irked by Barkley's delivery. When Perry tweeted that he applauded Barkley's remarks, some responded that they bristled at Barkley's tendency to generalize the experience of an entire group.

"Unfortunately, as I tell my white friends, we as black people, we're never going to be successful not because of you white people but because of other black people," Barkley said. "When you're black, you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people. It's a dirty, dark secret; I'm glad it's coming out."

The controversy began with an item from Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, who said some of Wilson's Seahawks teammates don't care for him because "they think he's too close to the front office," he "doesn't always take the blame with teammates for mistakes he makes," and "some of the black players think Wilson isn't black enough."

"There is ... an element of race that needs to be discussed," Freeman said of Wilson's relationship with his teammates. "My feeling on this -- and it's backed up by several interviews with Seahawks players -- is that some of the black players think Wilson isn't black enough. This is an issue that extends outside of football, into African-American society, though it's gotten better recently. Well-spoken blacks are seen by some other blacks as not completely black. Some of this is at play." (Bleacher Report shares a parent company with CNN.)

The report has been denied by Seahawks player Richard Sherman, who said the accusations were "made up," and Wilson too has shaken off Freeman's point of view.

"Black enough? I don't even know what that means," Wilson said. "I'm just an educated, well-spoken male."
But to Barkley, Freeman's assertions are a very real part of being successful and black.

"For some reason we're brainwashed to think if you're not a thug or an idiot, you're not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent and don't break the law, you're not a good black person," he said. "It's a dirty dark secret. I hate to bring white people into our crap, but as a black person, we all go through it when you're successful."

Sal

Sal

There you have it.

The only reason that black people haven't had more success in the United States is because of other black people.

I'm so glad that the always tactful Charles Barkley could feed your white privilege.

gatorfan

Sal wrote:There you have it.

The only reason that black people haven't had more success in the United States is because of other black people.

I'm so glad that the always tactful Charles Barkley could feed your white privilege.  

Yawn.

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:

Yawn.

Sorry.

I didn't realize that you wanted to have a substantive dialogue about how the darkies really just want to be shoeless and sing da Blues.

It's not the entirety of the issue, but Chuck hits the nail on the head and it irks you to see an AA man explain how his race is being used by the Democrats.

2seaoat

It's not the entirety of the issue, but Chuck hits the nail on the head and it irks you to see an AA man explain how his race is being used by the Democrats.

Thank you for proving Sal's point. I think Sir Charles makes some sense, but I do not think it is race limiting. Across the board Junior High can be tough on high achieving kids where being cool does not involve getting good grades. If you look at how movies portray nerds white, black, or hispanic, you will find a commonality which crosses race lines where high achieving students are out of step with being cool. However, poverty and the culture of poverty harbors resentment toward those who are successful. I think President Obama has been an excellent role model for non white Americans. He has shown that being intelligent is cool.

Just another noble cause perverted by progressivism. Look at our prohibitions, State education, obamacaid...

the agenda isn't to necessarily solve problems... it's to exploit them. Results matter.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:It's not the entirety of the issue, but Chuck hits the nail on the head and it irks you to see an AA man explain how his race is being used by the Democrats.

I think President Obama has been an excellent role model for non white Americans.  

Doesn't explain the following very well given the worsening impression during this divisive presidency.....

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Poll

nadalfan

gatorfan wrote:
2seaoat wrote:It's not the entirety of the issue, but Chuck hits the nail on the head and it irks you to see an AA man explain how his race is being used by the Democrats.

I think President Obama has been an excellent role model for non white Americans.  

Doesn't explain the following very well given the worsening impression during this divisive presidency.....

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Poll

Are you saying that the drop in those numbers is directly caused by Obama?
How so? How is he divisive when it comes to race relations?

gatorfan

nadalfan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

How so?  How is he divisive when it comes to race relations?

Read the thread string. 2SO feels Obama has been an excellent role model, I presented some evidence to the contrary. If he is such a great role model why is the racial divide growing during his Presidency? You draw your own conclusions. Or don't, makes no difference to me.

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:

If he is such a great role model why is the racial divide growing during his Presidency?

I can't imagine why ....

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success RacistObamaPic14

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success RacistObamaPic16

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Obamabucks3

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Obama_racist_image1

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Racist-Obama-email-

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Image_7048215

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success African-lion

nadalfan

gatorfan wrote:
nadalfan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

Read the thread string. 2SO feels Obama has been an excellent role model, I presented some evidence to the contrary. If he is such a great role model why is the racial divide growing during his Presidency? You draw your own conclusions. Or don't, makes no difference to me.

I agree that Obama is a good role model. Can you explain why you think your table presents direct evidence to the contrary or how he has hurt race relations (you said he was divisive)?

my belief - I think Sal's images are a better indicator of what has happened to race relations since Obama took office.

2seaoat

Crickets

Markle

Markle

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Racist_zps8e02fabb

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Racist_zps8e02fabb

Sane.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I don't think Allen West knows he's a black man.

I also think you're losing your marbles.

Markle

Markle

nadalfan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
nadalfan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

I agree that Obama is a good role model. Can you explain why you think your table presents direct evidence to the contrary or how he has hurt race relations (you said he was divisive)?

my belief - I think Sal's images are a better indicator of what has happened to race relations since Obama took office.  

In what manner do you believe semi-retired President Obama is a good role model?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I don't have to give you examples; I simply respect the man. He has led in the face of almost unprecedented opposition...theater of the absurd by your party, which is headed for the trash bin of history, because the GOP doesn't represent the people.

Thank you for proving Sal's point.   I think Sir Charles makes some sense, but I do not think it is race limiting.   Across the board Junior High can be tough on high achieving kids where being cool does not involve getting good grades.  If you look at how movies portray nerds white, black, or hispanic, you will find a commonality which crosses race lines where high achieving students are out of step with being cool.  However, poverty and the culture of poverty harbors resentment toward those who are successful.  I think President Obama has been an excellent role model for non white Americans.   He has shown that being intelligent is cool.

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStcPVo8NJDBZUn3O6nw6UkP7iPxTa7U5CY1MPha3IGL2Xrls1_0Q

...and that you can rake millions of dollars of off the tax payer, for your own personal income, as a non-profit community organizer turned blood splattered Nobel Hero.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE

Smile

nadalfan

Markle wrote:
nadalfan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
nadalfan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

In what manner do you believe semi-retired President Obama is a good role model?

I'm pretty sure you're not really interested in my answer considering your feelings toward the President. But since I stated that I think he is a good role model, I'll give you a couple of examples.

He has courage,for instance, he was vocal in his opposition to the Iraq war at a time when it was considered almost treasonous and political suicide to do that.

He's highly intelligent and approaches issues with a more complex thinking style; usually thinking more of long term effects and consequences than instant political gain.

I'm not really sure how this thread became about this. I would still like to know why some people say race relations have deteriorated because of him.

Floridatexan wrote:
I don't have to give you examples; I simply respect the man.  He has led in the face of almost unprecedented opposition...theater of the absurd by your party, which is headed for the trash bin of history, because the GOP doesn't represent the people.

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2ZMbX_0aaXlpBiWw-8gKeRDdDaH7BhslDxLp5HuGKFoLmEjao

Right! And bombing seven sovereign nations back to the stone age without the American peoples or Congress's consent represents the people.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlOx649rAoM

Smile

nadalfan wrote:

I'm not really sure how this thread became about this.  I would still like to know why some people say race relations have deteriorated because of him.

Charles Barkley: 'Brainwashed' blacks hold up success Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvfpJXRW1qPNO5zMNDrEdydbL26JBVtsJ5C5ijgab6spPv_OV6

Hate Crime legislation,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOABBn5Tnm0

...Zimmerman, Ferguson MO, the amnesty issue.

Should I go on?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlOx649rAoM

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum