Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

American Exceptionalism, My Ass ....

+2
nadalfan
Sal
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

On a recent afternoon, Hampus Elofsson ended his 40-hour workweek at a Burger King and prepared for a movie and beer with friends. He had paid his rent and all his bills, stashed away some savings, yet still had money for nights out. That is because he earns the equivalent of $20 an hour - the base wage for fast-food workers throughout Denmark and two and a half times what many fast-food workers earn in the United States. "You can make a decent living here working in fast food," said Mr. Elofsson, 24. "You don't have to struggle to get by."

Denmark has no minimum-wage law. But Mr. Elofsson's $20 an hour is the lowest the fast-food industry can pay under an agreement between Denmark's 3F union, the nation's largest, and the Danish employers group Horesta, which includes Burger King, McDonald's, Starbucks and other restaurant and hotel companies. By contrast, fast-food wages in the United States are so low that half of the nation's fast-food workers rely on some form of public assistance, a study from the University of California, Berkeley found. American fast-food workers earn an average of $8.90 an hour.As a shift manager at a Burger King near Tampa, Fla., Anthony Moore earns $9 an hour, typically working 35 hours a week and taking home around $300 weekly. "It's very inadequate," said Mr. Moore, 26, who supervises 10 workers. His rent is $600 a month, and he often falls behind on his lighting and water bills. A single father, he receives $164 a month in food stamps for his daughters, 5 and 2. "Sometimes I ask, ‘Do I buy food or do I buy them clothes?' " Mr. Moore said. "If I made $20 an hour, I could actually live, instead of dreaming about living." Mr. Moore's daughters receive health care through Medicaid, while he is uninsured because he cannot afford Burger King's coverage, he said. "I skip the doctor," he said, adding that he sometimes goes to work sick because "I can't miss the money."

Denmark's high wages make it hard, though not impossible, to maintain profitability at his restaurants, said Martin Drescher, the general manager of HMSHost Denmark, the airport restaurants operator. "We have to acknowledge it's more expensive to operate," said Mr. Drescher. "But we can still make money out of it - and McDonald's does, too. Otherwise, it wouldn't be in Denmark." He noted proudly that a full-time Burger King employee made enough to live on. "The company doesn't get as much profit, but the profit is shared a little differently," he said. "We don't want there to be a big difference between the richest and poorest, because poor people would just get really poor," Mr. Drescher added. "We don't want people living on the streets. If that happens, we consider that we as a society have failed."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/business/international/living-wages-served-in-denmark-fast-food-restaurants.html?_r=1

Maybe, this is because the Danish corporate class are not trained from their adolescence to become public sociopaths.

nadalfan

That kind of thinking is probably why Denmark enjoys one of the highest standards of living.
How do you argue against that kind of philosophy?

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Denmark

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

All fast food workers should make the same money as plumbers, electricians and healthcare workers. If they are in a management position they should make a salary equivalent to a doctor or CEO.......just because they do not possess the same level of education and skills is no reason to hold them back.

They need to live the good life without the worry and stress of having to have planned for their future.

Sal

Sal

By golly, our friend in Denmark can work at Burger King, enjoy universal health care and paternity leave, take five-weeks of vacation a year, receive a pension and free college tuition for his kids, and bargain collectively for good working conditions.

Of course, he has to pay higher taxes and suffer a higher cost of living for all of this.

But here's the tricky part - he can enjoy all those things, and still have a decent life for himself, despite paying those higher taxes and suffering that higher cost of living.

Now, I'm not a degreed economist, but I think that's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make.

But, Joanie says he doesn't deserve it.

It's incredible that someone could look at the wealth gap in the United States, and want to argue about what's fair.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:By golly, our friend in Denmark can work at Burger King, enjoy universal health care and paternity leave, take five-weeks of vacation a year, receive a pension and free college tuition for his kids, and bargain collectively for good working conditions.

Of course, he has to pay higher taxes and suffer a higher cost of living for all of this.

But here's the tricky part - he can enjoy all those things, and still have a decent life for himself, despite paying those higher taxes and suffering that higher cost of living.

Now, I'm not a degreed economist, but I think that's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make.

But, Joanie says he doesn't deserve it.

It's incredible that someone could look at the wealth gap in the United States, and want to argue about what's fair.

Nope...I said fast food workers should make the same as educated skilled workers......assembling food and filling orders requires sophisticated expertise.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I know a few health care professionals in this town who could use a raise, or perhaps a more reasonable patient load...or more maternity leave.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

That's always been the situation for hospital nurses. No matter the load the hospital KNOWS the nurses will provide for their patients. That is what dedicated nurses do!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:That's always been the situation for hospital nurses. No matter the load the hospital KNOWS the nurses will provide for their patients. That is what dedicated nurses do!

I have personally witnessed a walkout of nurses over working conditions. The hospital is a building...it doesn't "know" anything.

Please explain how upper management should receive compensation many times that of the average working professional...in any business.

Do the stats below surprise you, and do you see anything wrong with this picture?

http://www.aflcio.org/Corporate-Watch/Paywatch-2014

In 2013 the CEO-to-worker pay ratio was 331:1 and the CEO-to-minimum-wage-worker pay ratio was 774:1. America is supposed to be the land of opportunity, a country where hard work and playing by the rules would provide working families a middle-class standard of living. But in recent decades, corporate CEOs have been taking a greater share of the economic pie while wages have stagnated and unemployment remains high.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:That's always been the situation for hospital nurses. No matter the load the hospital KNOWS the nurses will provide for their patients. That is what dedicated nurses do!

I have personally witnessed a walkout of nurses over working conditions.  The hospital is a building...it doesn't "know" anything.  

Please explain how upper management should receive compensation many times that of the average working professional...in any business.

Do the stats below surprise you, and do you see anything wrong with this picture?

In 2013 the CEO-to-worker pay ratio was 331:1 and the CEO-to-minimum-wage-worker pay ratio was 774:1. America is supposed to be the land of opportunity, a country where hard work and playing by the rules would provide working families a middle-class standard of living. But in recent decades, corporate CEOs have been taking a greater share of the economic pie while wages have stagnated and unemployment remains high.

Are you arguing with me for agreeing with you. Nurses have always been over worked and under paid.

Floridatexan wrote:

I have personally witnessed a walkout of nurses over working conditions.  The hospital is a building...it doesn't "know" anything.  

American Exceptionalism, My Ass .... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ52lrt1LOyB47MTIHoFu4zbfaUwAFMtwLZdoLJNTgQyi6oSh_A3w

Who was in the White House in 2013?... That's right the party that promised us change 5 years prior...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 10/29/2014, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

nadalfan wrote:That kind of thinking is probably why Denmark enjoys one of the highest standards of living.
How do you argue against that kind of philosophy?

Population LESS than that of New York City.

Taxes in Demmark
ALL income, regardless of how low is subject to an 8% gross tax.
The state income tax has two income brackets (base and top). In 2014 income from DKK 42,900 to DKK 421,000 is taxed at 5.83% and income above DKK 422,000 is taxed an additional 15%. Other taxes include Municipal income tax, currently in the range 23% - 28%, though on average 24.09%. A Health contribution of 6% apply on all income above the tax free allowance in year 2014, though from there the health contribution is getting merged with the regular income tax by one percent per year. Under the Danish tax system, it is possible for a high-wage earner to pay up to 51.5% of their total income after gross tax, giving a total of 57% of total income.

Then, in addition to all those taxes, remember half our population pays NO INCOME TAX. Denmark has a non-deductible value added tax (VAT) of 25%,[7] - MOMS (Danish: merværdiafgift, formerly meromsætningsafgift). The tax is subject to the European Union value added tax Directives.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Are you arguing with me for agreeing with you.  Nurses have always been over worked and under paid.

I believe your comment about "equal pay" across the spectrum of the workforce was sarcastic. I happen to agree that nurses are and have been underpaid...as I am familiar with the dedication of medical professionals in general. Please explain to me how the CEO of a company should make 331 times what a highly trained and dedicated nurse makes.

Markle

Markle

The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, standards of living, and quality of life for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, a developing or an underdeveloped country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. The index was developed in 1990 by Pakistani economist Mahbub ul Haq[3] and Indian economist Amartya Sen.[4]

American Exceptionalism, My Ass .... StandardofLiving10Countries2014-10-29_zps0a84a91c

More lies from our far left Progressive good friends.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, standards of living, and quality of life for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, a developing or an underdeveloped country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. The index was developed in 1990 by Pakistani economist Mahbub ul Haq[3] and Indian economist Amartya Sen.[4]

American Exceptionalism, My Ass .... StandardofLiving10Countries2014-10-29_zps0a84a91c

More lies from our far left Progressive good friends.

Go back to your wikipedia link and scroll down to the part where they account for inequality. When inequality is accounted for, the US is ranked 28th, just behind Hungary.

Yes...Hungary...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Are you arguing with me for agreeing with you.  Nurses have always been over worked and under paid.

I believe your comment about "equal pay" across the spectrum of the workforce was sarcastic.  I happen to agree that nurses are and have been underpaid...as I am familiar with the dedication of medical professionals in general.  Please explain to me how the CEO of a company should make 331 times what a highly trained and dedicated nurse makes.

There is no justification for a CEO making that much money. Yet hospital staffing has been reduced....it's easy to manipulate the nurse patient ratio. You will not see nurses in this area walk out. It won't happen unless there is a union.

Yes, my comment about equal pay between fast food workers and professional/skilled workers was tongue in ckeck.

What are the taxes on that $20 an hour?

Maybe Denmark can find someone else to save its ass the next time a hitler comes to power in Eurotrash land? Hey Seaoat, did you pay your unskilled and uneducated entry level workers $20 an hour? I doubt it. Why not?

Move there then....

by Joanimaroni Today at 12:49 pm
That's always been the situation for hospital nurses. No matter the load the hospital KNOWS the nurses will provide for their patients. That is what dedicated nurses do!
-----
Taken advantage of like teachers are at school.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PACEDOG#1 wrote:by Joanimaroni Today at 12:49 pm
-----
Taken advantage of like teachers are at school.

Of course.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum