Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need some kudzu plants. Can anyone advise me where I might dig some in southern escambia county?

+6
cool1
Yella
2seaoat
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

where is a good spot of accessible woods which has lots of kuzdu?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

North Carolina.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

NC is a little farther than I wanted to go. lol

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:where is a good spot of accessible woods which has lots of kuzdu?

Why do you want kudzu?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

There was some along I-65 in Alabama between the Flomaton exit and Evergreen.

Problems with a neighbor?

2seaoat

Do not encourage Bob to go onto somebody's property and steal something. There are seed catalogs with bare roots for sale......but I guess it is easier to just think the woods do not belong to anybody and that property rights mean nothing......from a guy with steel burglar doors on every door in his house. I could give you my aunts farm in Alabama....but she is dead and the farm is sold. It is still pretty warm to be getting up in that stuff with snakes. I do not know if the high sand content of the soil is going to support the plant, but you could always bring a dump truck and steal some soil to boot.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Do not encourage Bob to go onto somebody's property and steal something.  There are seed catalogs with bare roots for sale......but I guess it is easier to just think the woods do not belong to anybody and that property rights mean nothing......from a guy with  steel burglar doors on every door in his house.  I could give you my aunts farm in Alabama....but she is dead and the farm is sold.  It is still pretty warm to be getting up in that stuff with snakes.  I do not know if the high sand content of the soil is going to support the plant, but you could always bring a dump truck and steal some soil to boot.

Encourage Bob to go on someone's ptoperty? It grows along side of the roadway.

Yella

Yella

Why do you want them, Bob? Are you gonna smoke 'em? And then theres this.

How much zu could a kudzu do if a kudzu could do zu?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:

Why do you want them, Bob?  

I'm still hanging on to the stupid idea of covering the fence with it.
I read where kudzu can grow as much as 12" in one day. By my cipherin the fence will be fully covered in two months. lol
I thought I'd get a couple of plants and see what they do.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's a marvel of nature.  from wiki...

The secret to the plant's durability is in the roots -- they sprout new ones to reproduce very quickly. These root crowns are relentless and have been known to hitchhike in truckloads of fill dirt and take up residency hundreds of miles away. They set up camp right on the soil surface of the ground. From there, these starch roots grow as deep as 12 feet (3.66 meters) and can weigh up to 300 pounds (136 kilograms) [source: Everest]. These roots are rich in carbohydrates and have the unique ability to tap water from deep underground sources, which makes kudzu survive in dry, hot conditions where other plants can't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisteria

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Try some Carolina jasmine or clematis vine.

cool1

cool1

there is a piece of property this guy has and he put an add out that whoever wanted plants to come on over and dig them up so I did , I think he had some kind of plant that did that I took a couple to plants and decided not to so I got rid of them because I didn't want it to grow wild and keep growing - although its good for a fence if ya plan on keeping it covered !!!! the man doesn't live to far Bob . If you want me to check to see if he still has some I will , Just let me know and the next time I go to bank I could slide over and ask him --he had it on craigslist for a while , just wanted people to take the plants if they wanted them.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Kudzu is an aggressive invasive plant species.

This species is listed on the Florida Noxious Weed List – Rule 5B-57.007, making it “. . . unlawful to introduce, multiply, possess, move, or release . . . except under permit issued by the department . . . .” See 5B-57.004 for more information.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/354

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

You had better turn the cold water on concerning your kudzu idea, Bob...... Suspect

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Seriously, Bob, you don't want to introduce such an invasive plant into your landscape. You have several other options.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Star Jasmine is an excellent choice. Fast growing and fragrant.

Wisteria is pretty too... and it would literally tear the fence apart in a few years.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I need some kudzu plants.  Can anyone advise me where I might dig some in southern escambia county? Carolina-Jasmine-Large-iStock_000008998100XSmall

This is Carolina jasmine.

It won't destroy your fence. Wisteria, on the other hand, probably will.

cool1

cool1

wow--kudzi whatever Shocked  pretty serious plant there !!!  I wouldn't want that stuff though takes over buildings and stuff and kills everything else , sounds hard to get rid of Suspect

cool1

cool1

Floridatexan wrote:I need some kudzu plants.  Can anyone advise me where I might dig some in southern escambia county? Carolina-Jasmine-Large-iStock_000008998100XSmall

This is Carolina jasmine.  

It won't destroy your fence.  Wisteria, on the other hand, probably will.  

AHHH now that I wouldn't mind against my fence Razz

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think ya'll have talked me out of using the kudzu.

cool1

cool1

Bob wrote:I think ya'll have talked me out of using the kudzu.

lol!

24I need some kudzu plants.  Can anyone advise me where I might dig some in southern escambia county? Empty Kudzu 9/13/2015, 4:26 pm

hoabuoitim

hoabuoitim

Are you still looking for kudzu vine?

2seaoat

Are you still looking for kudzu vine?

We are all waiting for a photo of his dueling water spitting frogs.....the Kudzu would take care of his back yard bare spots.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum