Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A pitbull attacked my dog tonight

+5
Sal
Snyderfish
Joanimaroni
QueenOfHearts
Vikingwoman
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1A pitbull attacked my dog tonight Empty A pitbull attacked my dog tonight 10/5/2014, 12:51 am

Vikingwoman

I was walking my dog tonight when we stopped momentarily near a mailbox where my dog was sniffing the grass. I was standing in the road when a woman comes out and says "please don't let your dog poop in my yard. I have kids here." I said "my dog is not pooping". When we were coming back there was a small dog who is usually running around unleashed into everybody's yard and I saw the same woman pick up the dog. I said " you know, your dog is running around pooping in everybody's yard." The woman started screaming profanities and shooting me the bird. I said Ok, i'll just call the animal control when your dog is loose around the neighborhood." The next thing I know another woman standing in the door opens the door and lets out a blue nosed pit bull who attacks my dog biting her on the snout.This dog had a big head and a body like a weightlifter. I'm screaming... my dogs screaming and the pit bull runs back in the house. I rushed my dog home screaming through the neighborhood. My dog had puncture wounds and blood on her snout but was intact.I called the police and told them what happened but knew these people would say the dog just got out. They did and the police said there was no crime committed and I needed to call the animal control.You can just sic your dog on someone and say they got out. The animal control are useless and will not do anything. The point of this whole story is people should be arrested when they use animals like that. The police said there was no law against dog attacks. Well,f..k them and f..k pitbull owners. The next time I'll carry a pistol and shoot that mothereffer!

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Follow through with animal control. It does not matter if the dog just "got out." I never walk my dog without pepper spray.

I hope your dog is not too injured. What a horrible experience.

Vikingwoman

Thank you. I will follow through w/ animal control but I don't really have much faith in them. I had a small poodle that was killed by dogs years ago and they said the dogs have to attack more than once for them to do anything. My big concern was the people sicced their dog and there's nothing you can do about it.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Vikingwoman wrote:Thank you. I will follow through w/ animal control but I don't really have much faith in them. I had a small poodle that was killed by dogs years ago and they said the dogs have to attack more than once for them to do anything. My big concern was the people sicced their dog and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sorry you had that happen....you should have called the SO that night....... Animal control in SRC is useless.......Start at the top of animal control.....if no results go the the county attorney and county commissioner.

Snyderfish

Snyderfish

Another reason to conceal carry.

Sal

Sal

I've had that happen twice.

My dogs are so friendly, they never even see it coming.

Luckily, they've never been seriously injured.

The pit bull breed is worthless and should be exterminated.

Carry a sturdy stick and club the bastards over their heads.

Shooting up the neighborhood is never a good idea.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Pepper spray is a better idea. Also I would still make a police report.....the dog getting out once could be explained as an accident.....twice makes it more than likely intentional.

2seaoat

You are approaching this the wrong way. You need to call an attorney. You need to file a civil suit against the homeowner. If the folks are only renting, they will soon be living somewhere else. If they own, they will be dropped by their insurance carrier, and you will be paid for the injuries to your dog and the fear you experienced during the attack. At most you may be paying filing fees and the attorney will take it on contingency. Forget wasting your time on other avenues.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:You are approaching this the wrong way.  You need to call an attorney.  You need to file a civil suit against the homeowner.  If the folks are only renting, they will soon be living somewhere else.  If they own, they will be dropped by their insurance carrier, and you will be paid for the injuries to your dog and the fear you experienced during the attack.  At most you may be paying filing fees and the attorney will take it on contingency.  Forget wasting your time on other avenues.

That starts with a police report.

2seaoat

No police report needed to file a civil suit against a homeowner who does not control their dog. A police report is inadmissible and does nothing. She called the police and complained and got nowhere. File a civil suit. The standard on a dog attack is strict liability. There will be no defense. It just is not a large damage type of case, but the insurance company will settle, and the homeowners will be dropped by the insurance company.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:No police report needed to file a civil suit against a homeowner who does not control their dog.   A police report is inadmissible and does nothing.  She called the police and complained and got nowhere.  File a civil suit.  The standard on a dog attack is strict liability.  There will be no defense.  It just is not a large damage type of case, but the insurance company will settle, and the homeowners will be dropped by the insurance company.

Did she?

2seaoat

The police said there was no law against dog attacks.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:The police said there was no law against dog attacks.

They still have a record of her call. It serves as backup.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:The police said there was no law against dog attacks.

They still have a record of her call. It serves as backup.

by 2seaoat Today at 2:20 pm
You are approaching this the wrong way. You need to call an attorney. You need to file a civil suit against the homeowner. If the folks are only renting, they will soon be living somewhere else. If they own, they will be dropped by their insurance carrier, and you will be paid for the injuries to your dog and the fear you experienced during the attack. At most you may be paying filing fees and the attorney will take it on contingency. Forget wasting your time on other avenues.
----
Agree

Markle

Markle

I don't understand why Vikingwoman initiated the confrontation. When the woman asked her not to let her dog poop in her yard, all she had so say was "I won't" or "Don't worry, I won't".

Vikingwoman

I didn't initiate the confrontation, Markle and I certainly don't expect people to go off their rocker cussing and shooting the bird merely because you mention their other dog is running unleashed through the neighbor hood pooping on other people's lawns while you're telling people not to poop on yours.

I have begun my own investigation about this dog since my dog was attacked and have found he charged a small child recently. The neighbor grabbed up her 3 yr. old grandson when the dog started charging and stood still and the dog didn't attack but she was traumatized by the incident. I have spent the better part of today at the animal hospital getting my dogs wounds cleaned and on antibiotics. The pitbull severed through my dogs snout and it swelled up distorting her face last night. I didn't know there was a 24 hr. hospital until late last night or I would have taken her sooner. They gave her a pain and antibiotic shot and of course had to run blood tests to see if her liver and kidneys were alright to take the medicine. The bill is now up to $350 and I have to take her back in a few days to her regular vet for a recheck. She is now in a stupor and whining and crying. The animal hospital took her in the back to examine her and I thought this was strange. We were in a waiting room already so why the vet couldn't examine her w/ me there was questionable. I rarely go to the vets so I don't know the protocol.

I do have every intention of following through w/ a civil suit if the pitbull owners do not pay the vet bill. The house is rented where the dog lives and I have already obtained the owners name who lives in Jacksonville. I don't plan on approaching the pitbull owner again for obvious reasons. As soon as I get the police report tomorrow I will know the name of the pitbull owner and will send both a certified letter w/ the bill. I don't really need an atty. as I can file a suit on my own. My neighborhood is in an uproar now about the attack and word is spreading now not to walk by this house. I am touched by my neighbors concerns about my dog as they are coming by and checking on how she is doing.

Joani is right. SRC animal control is worthless but I am on a mission now about this dog. I would not shoot the dog but I certainly would tase him. I don't plan to live in fear in my own neighborhood.I cannot file a report to the animal control until tomorrow but I am bracing myself to deal w/ these rude and incompetent people. I have dealt w/ them before when some dogs killed my poodle and they are not capable of much. My dog is a sweet gentle fearful animal who has suffered due to the neighborhood bully. It has begun.

Markle

Markle

Vikingwoman wrote:I didn't initiate the confrontation, Markle and I certainly don't expect people to go off their rocker cussing and shooting the bird merely because you mention their other dog is running unleashed through the neighbor hood pooping on other people's lawns while you're telling people not to poop on yours.

I have begun my own investigation about this dog since my dog was attacked and have found he charged a small child recently. The neighbor grabbed up her 3 yr. old grandson when the dog started charging and stood still and the dog didn't attack but she was traumatized by the incident. I have spent the better part of today at the animal hospital getting my dogs wounds cleaned and on antibiotics. The pitbull severed through my dogs snout and it swelled up distorting her face last night. I didn't know there was a 24 hr. hospital until late last night or I would have taken her sooner. They gave her a pain and antibiotic shot and of course had to run blood tests to see if her liver and kidneys were alright to take the medicine. The bill is now up to $350 and I have to take her back in a few days to her regular vet for a recheck. She is now in a stupor and whining and crying. The animal hospital took her in the back to examine her and I thought this was strange. We were in a waiting room already so why the vet couldn't examine her w/ me there was questionable. I rarely go to the vets so I don't know the protocol.

I do have every intention of following through w/ a civil suit if the pitbull owners do not pay the vet bill. The house is rented where the dog lives and I have already obtained the owners name who lives in Jacksonville. I don't plan on approaching the pitbull owner again for obvious reasons. As soon as I get the police report tomorrow I will know the name of the pitbull owner and will send both a certified letter w/ the bill. I don't really need an atty. as I can file a suit on my own. My neighborhood is in an uproar now about the attack and word is spreading now not to walk by this house. I am touched by my neighbors concerns about my dog as they are coming by and checking on how she is doing.

Joani is right. SRC animal control is worthless but I am on a mission now about this dog. I would not shoot the dog but I certainly would tase him. I don't plan to live in fear in my own neighborhood.I cannot file a report to the animal control until tomorrow but I am bracing myself to deal w/ these rude and incompetent people. I have dealt w/ them before when some dogs killed my poodle and they are not capable of much. My dog is a sweet gentle fearful animal who has suffered due to the neighborhood bully. It has begun.

Yes, I can tell by your rant that given your peaceful and demur demeanor it would be impossible for you to initiate a confrontation.  I stand corrected....

Why don't you simply call the owner and quietly explain the situation, sans histrionics or accusations and see what they will work out with you. They don't want a tenant with a Pit Bull either and may not be aware of the problem.

You seem to have the attitude that dealing with rude and incompetent people is by being...rude and incompetent.

Vikingwoman

I am far from incompetent, Markle but can be rude when I need to so would you quietly f..k off? See what I mean?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Vikingwoman wrote:I didn't initiate the confrontation, Markle and I certainly don't expect people to go off their rocker cussing and shooting the bird merely because you mention their other dog is running unleashed through the neighbor hood pooping on other people's lawns while you're telling people not to poop on yours.

Awesome!

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

I doubt an attorney will take this on a contingency basis since his fee would be limited to one third of your recovery. You can file a small claims suit on your own. Get a police report. How can one know how many times a dog has attacked if no report is made?

I would call the homeowner and fill him in on some details. Find out his insurer and report it to them. I wouldn't be surprised if the renter either had to get rid of her dog or move.

Hope your pup gets well soon.

Vikingwoman

QueenOfHearts wrote:I doubt an attorney will take this on a contingency basis since his fee would be limited to one third of your recovery.  You can file a small claims suit on your own.  Get a police report.  How can one know how many times a dog has attacked if no report is made?

I would call the homeowner and fill him in on some details.  Find out his insurer and report it to them.  I wouldn't be surprised if the renter either had to get rid of her dog or move.

Thank you Queen. She is doing better. Pain meds are making her unsteady. I filed a report w/ animal control today and even brought my dog w/ me so they could see the damage. I asked them did they want to see my dog and they said "no". Really? I thought so anyone could swear out a complaint w/ no evidence? They said they would be issuing her a ticket. We'll see. I called The SRSO to get the woman's name and they told me there was no report. I have a case # and gave it to them and they said no info was taken. It's listed as a disturbance. I then called the Deputy who told me I could get a report and he says "well, there was no report to take. It didn't happen." I said what didn't happen? He says they didn't let the dog out." I said you were there when it happened? He got pissed and said call the animal control and get a report! I said" no, I'm going to email the Sheriff and discuss it w/ him due to the fact that I just wanted a report documented when and if this happens again. If they do sic the dog on someone again there is now no history of prior reports.I told him I didn't ask him to decide whether it happened or not as I was fully aware the woman would deny it and it was my word against hers." He says well go email the Sheriff all you want. I said I will and hung up. I then called his Sgt. and he was very nice but didn't know anything about it. I also called the Officers Lt. and left a message so I will probably be arrested some time soon for anything this deputy can find. I am emailing the Sheriff in the morning to vent my concerns about this officer who just decides something didn't happen.WTF!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Vikingwoman wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:I doubt an attorney will take this on a contingency basis since his fee would be limited to one third of your recovery.  You can file a small claims suit on your own.  Get a police report.  How can one know how many times a dog has attacked if no report is made?

I would call the homeowner and fill him in on some details.  Find out his insurer and report it to them.  I wouldn't be surprised if the renter either had to get rid of her dog or move.

Thank you Queen. She is doing better. Pain meds are making her unsteady. I filed a report w/ animal control today and even brought my dog w/ me so they could see the damage. I asked them did they want to see my dog and they said "no". Really? I thought so anyone could swear out a complaint w/ no evidence? They said they would be issuing her a ticket. We'll see. I called The SRSO to get the woman's name and they told me there was no report. I have a case # and gave it to them and they said no info was taken. It's listed as a disturbance. I then called the Deputy who told me I could get a report and he says "well, there was no report to take. It didn't happen." I said what didn't happen? He says they didn't let the dog out." I said you were there when it happened? He got pissed and said call the animal control and get a report! I said" no, I'm going to email the Sheriff and discuss it w/ him due to the fact that I just wanted a report documented when and if this happens again. If they do sic the dog on someone again there is now no history of prior reports.I told him I didn't ask him to decide whether it happened or not as I was fully aware the woman would deny it and it was my word against hers." He says well go email the Sheriff all you want. I said I will and hung up. I then called his Sgt. and he was very nice but didn't know anything about it. I also called the Officers Lt. and left a message so I will probably be arrested some time soon for anything this deputy can find. I am emailing the Sheriff in the morning to vent my concerns about this officer who just decides something didn't happen.WTF!

Did you call 911? The dispatch calls are recorded.

2seaoat

You need to go to the Sheriff's office and follow up on the police report. The police officer acting as judge and jury and not writing the report is wrong. He most certainly can write the report and indicate that the owner of the dog denies releasing the dog.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

We have posted on the forum about breeds of dog's that are banned by home owners insurance. Pitbulls top the list. I changed my insurance company and was asked if I had a dog.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum