Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

“The outrage driving the Ferguson debate ignores these three key facts” (Wash Post)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

By Joel F. Shults August 27 at 6:00 AM
Joel Shults is a retired police chief for Adams State University in Colorado. He has worked for more than 30 years in uniformed law enforcement and criminal justice education.

I admit that in a cropped photo it’s hard to distinguish the Gaza Strip from Ferguson, Mo. But the violence that occurred in the St. Louis suburb this month following the shooting of a black teenager by a white police officer isn’t the authoritarian injustice that it has been portrayed to be. It may be hard to hear, but we live quite safely in the United States thanks in large part to our law enforcement system. We experience civil unrest and cruel conflict vicariously, not personally. And our exposure to deadly violence largely comes from the news and entertainment world.

I don’t blame anyone for being shocked and offended when an armed government agent hurts or kills a civilian. Our humane, visceral reaction easily overshadows cold facts. But facts will define the truth in our courts and the truth is that physics and anatomy make sense of a shooting like Officer Darren Wilson’s encounter with Michael Brown. While I don’t have unique access to the details of that deadly encounter, I am familiar with the science of officer-involved shootings. Based on that science, I can confidently dispel some commonly held beliefs about law enforcement and use of force that have colored the debate around Brown’s death.

1. “Police shouldn’t shoot an unarmed teenager.”

No gun doesn’t mean no threat. FBI murder statistics consistently show that more people are beaten to death with hands and feet each year than are killed by assault rifles. In Missouri, nearly a third of the 386 murders that occurred in 2011 were committed without firearms. A person’s size doesn’t mean that they are aggressive, but one’s stature is clearly a factor in a fight.

2. “Even if he did feel threatened, Wilson didn’t have to shoot Brown so many times.”

Brain processes take time and often move slower than reality. A study published in 2003 showed that it takes a shooter about one-third of a second to recognize a threat, then each trigger pull takes one-tenth of a second. But the mental process of deciding to stop shooting takes longer than the decision to shoot. The result is that another two or three shots can be fired as the senses, brain, nerves, and muscles put on the brakes. In other words, an officer can execute several trigger pulls after a visual input indicates a subject is no longer a threat.

Further, multiple shots don’t guarantee that a person will not continue to advance or attack. And it can take over a second for a body to fall to the ground after being fatally shot. This leaves even more time for shots to be fired before an officer’s finger stops pulling the trigger.
In total, whatever happened in Ferguson likely happened in the time it takes to sing the first four words of the national anthem – and the officer was forced to make quick decisions to keep up.

3. “Why do police keep killing all these unarmed people?”

Commentators like to infect sentences with phrase like “increased police violence” and “all these brutality cases.” A society in which children will see 16,000 murders as entertainment on television by the time they are eligible to vote will find it quite easy to believe that the police are shooting up their cities just like on their favorite cop show. But reality is much tamer than popular belief. Police use of force is rare.

A study cited by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that out of a reported 45 million face-to-face contacts annually between citizens and the police, fewer than 1 percent of those citizens reported any use of force. Of those who did report use of force, 74 percent self-reported that their own behavior instigated the force.

The most recent FBI crime report cites 410 people justifiably killed by police in 2011, the most recent FBI reporting period, 310 people killed by citizens acting in self-defense, and a 10-year average of 54 police officers killed in the line of duty. A study reported in 2012 in the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin shows that 70 percent of police officers will face a deadly force decision an average of four times within a career. Just 20 percent shoot, and few kill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/08/27/the-outrage-driving-the-ferguson-debate-ignores-these-three-key-facts/?hpid=z10

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

These are generalities. They do not speak to the particular situation at Ferguson, where the population is predominately black and the police are predominately white. The discussion of how many times the officer fired is instructive but has no real bearing unless he thought his life or someone else's life was threatened.

He says the reaction of the police wasn't authoritarian, even though they used weapons on the crowds that are designed for war. What kind of reaction could reasonably be expected from family, relatives and the community when the body was left on the street for 4 hours?

Plus, unless it escaped you, this guy was a campus cop.

I wonder why a town that is 70% of any particular similarity doesn't control nearly every facet of their local govt?

I'm sure they have elections.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Th Dude wrote:I wonder why a town that is 70% of any particular similarity doesn't control nearly every facet of their local govt?

I'm sure they have elections.

Dude, you have just asked a very good question. A question which should have already been asked by someone in the media.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ferguson MO is similiar to Prichard AL in race demographics.

BUT,  because Prichard has a predominantly black population,  everything in Prichard is controlled by black people.

Why is this not the case with Ferguson?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Prichard city council...

“The outrage driving the Ferguson debate ignores these three key facts” (Wash Post) 0

Prichard mayor...

“The outrage driving the Ferguson debate ignores these three key facts” (Wash Post) Council_ephriam

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Police, with a few exceptions, are hired, not elected.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

That's correct.  And the city police department and it's personnel are under the authority of the elected city officials.
That's the way it works in Pensacola and the way it works in Prichard.
So why not in Ferguson?

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:

Some municipalities have the Chief of Police as an elected office as well as the Sheriff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum