Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Airplane Accident Thread

+2
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/07/30/soldier-daughter-killed-by-plane-landing-on-beach.html

Another Airplane Accident Thread Plane-10

This actually happened on Sunday, in Venice Beach, FL. The 57 yo pilot and his 60 yo passenger lost power in their Pikper Cherokee airplane. The pilot declared an emergency and stated his intent to try and make it back to Venice Airport. Instead, he aimed for the beach and made a crash-landing there.

Unfortunately, A 36 yo Army E-7 and his 9 yo daughter--vacationing in Venice Beach--were directly in the path of the landing plane and were struck by it as it landed. He was killed instantly and the girl died the next day.

Lots of what-ifs for this incident. I tend to agree with commenters for this article and others I have seen covering this incident who are pilots and who said the pilot of this aircraft should have taken every step to put the safety of beachgoers before the safety of himself and his passenger. He is definitely going to need a lawyer.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

I saw where the pilot said he was trying for a soft landing on the water but missed.

How do you miss the friggin' ocean??

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I think the pilot was more worried about saving his own skin and keeping damage to the plane minimal.

I am sure he did not have a lot of time to react and was overloaded with tasks when this happened. The what-ifs here will be thoroughly looked at. His skill level and experience were heavy influences on the outcome.

Some commenters were saying the man and the girl should have jumped out of the way. I bet the aircraft came down from behind them, so they did not see it in time to react. If the engine was out, you would not hear it as it glided down.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Very sad!

gatorfan

I'm not a pilot but does this type aircraft have retractable landing gear? If it does then his wheels down configuration tells me he wasn't trying to land in the water. Probably was nose high trying to get as slow as possible and didn't see the people. They didn't have a chance - pretty sad.

knothead

knothead

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time . . . very tragic!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:I'm not a pilot but does this type aircraft have retractable landing gear? If it does then his wheels down configuration tells me he wasn't trying to land in the water. Probably was nose high trying to get as slow as possible and didn't see the people. They didn't have a chance - pretty sad.

I will qualify my answer by saying most of my flight hours were in helicopters. You can't be in a nose-high attitude in power-off situations, because you will stall. The nose of both helicopters and planes wants to "fall-through" when power is removed. The key for that pilot was maintaining enough airspeed to attain maximum-glide rate, minimum rate of descent, while preventing a stall. Headwork becomes paramount as you multi-task on the way down. This pilot had to decide what to do, where to go, likely implement procedures related to his emergency, communicate, and most importantly--fly the aircraft. You always "fly the aircraft first" in any emergency--it won't fly itself while you deal with the emergency.

Oh, and I think the Piper Cherokee is a fixed gear aircraft, though I am not certain.

Not a pilot, here - but couldn't these light aircraft have a warning device - like a horn?  It might've alerted the beach walkers.  Seems like a simple precaution.

BTW - I've been on that beach - Caspersen Beach. It's notable for the pre-historic sharks teeth that wash up.  I collected a handful after a local taught me how to spot them.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My heart goes out to this family. I hope this wasn't pilot error, but it doesn't look that way (from the comments of pilots at the site).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum