Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Armstrong is Dead

+2
TEOTWAWKI
Nekochan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/25/2012, 4:05 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

It's a sad day in America.

2Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/25/2012, 4:18 pm

Nekochan wrote:It's a sad day in America.

Yep. RIP

3Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/25/2012, 5:25 pm

damn shame... what an amazing life tho.

4Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/25/2012, 5:41 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Neil Armstrong is Dead Neil_armstrong

5Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/25/2012, 9:35 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Here is the Wickipedia article on Neil Armstrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

The article states Armstrong flew 78 combat missions over Korea in 1951-52 as a Navy F9F fighter pilot.

The article goes on to say that after the moon landings, both political parties tried to woo him to run for national office like John Glenn had. Armstrong refused because he was pro-States' rights and was against the U.S. acting as the policeman of the world.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

6Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 1:15 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This one is even much more than that. Our generation is sometimes too close to it to comprehend what it means. He represents something as wondrous as what Christopher Columbus did. Or Magellan or any of those names which preceded him. But this time we left planet earth and walked on another heavenly body for the first time.
A thousand years from now his name will be better known than any of them.
And it happened in our lifetime.

7Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 6:00 am

Bob wrote:
This one is even much more than that. Our generation is sometimes too close to it to comprehend what it means. He represents something as wondrous as what Christopher Columbus did. Or Magellan or any of those names which preceded him. But this time we left planet earth and walked on another heavenly body for the first time.

What amazing bravery to have the guts to go in a vessle, travel away from your planet, then get out and step on another planet. An amazing person.

You know neil said that there is a alien base on the dark side of the moon.

8Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 12:17 pm

Neil Armstrong is Dead Flag301

*****SAD SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

Smile

9Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 12:46 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy8 wrote:

You know neil said that there is a alien base on the dark side of the moon.
What makes you think he said that, Chrissy?

10Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 1:05 pm

there is no such thing as the dark side of the moon.

unless you're channeling Pink Floyd.

11Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 1:10 pm

Neil Armstrong is Dead Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-1973

That use to be part of my profile at the various Gannett sites...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLOth-BuCNY

Smile

12Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 1:26 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

thread_bear wrote:there is no such thing as the dark side of the moon.

unless you're channeling Pink Floyd.

The far side of the Moon, sometimes called the "dark side of the Moon" in the sense that it is in a radio blackout in respect to transmitters on Earth,[1][2] is the lunar hemisphere that is permanently turned away, and not visible from the surface of the Earth. The far hemisphere was first photographed by the Soviet Luna 3 probe in 1959, and was first directly observed by human eyes when the Apollo 8 mission orbited the Moon in 1968. The rugged terrain is distinguished by a multitude of crater impacts, as well as relatively few lunar maria. It includes the second largest known impact feature in the Solar System, the South Pole-Aitken basin. The far side has been suggested as a potential location for a large radio telescope, as it would be shielded from possible radio interference from Earth. To date, there has been no ground exploration of the far side of the Moon.

Neil Armstrong is Dead 300px-Back_side_of_the_Moon_AS16-3021
Far side of the moon photographed by Apollo 16.

I remember very clearly the night Armstrong first stepped on the moon. It was truly amazing. And something my Dad said is stuck in my mind forever - You gotta have brass balls to do that kinda shit!

13Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 2:40 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The following is an excerpt from the transcript of the Apollo 11 technical debriefing;

Aldrin: The first unusual thing that we saw I guess was one day out or something pretty close to the moon. It had a sizeable dimension to it, so we put the monocular on it.
Collins: How'd we see this thing ? Did we just look out the window and there it was.
Aldrin: Yes, and we weren't sure but what it might be the S-IVB. We called the ground and were told the S-IVB was 6,000 miles away. We had a problem with the high gain about this time, didn't we ?
Collins: There was something. We felt a bump or maybe I just imagined it.
Armstrong: He was wondering whether the MESA had come off.
Collins: I don't guess we felt anything.
Aldrin: Of course, we were seeing all sorts of little objects going by at the various dumps and then we happened to see this one brighter object going by. We couldn't think of anything else it could be other than the S-IVB. We looked at it through the monocular and it seemed to have a bit of an L shape to it.
Armstrong: Like an open suitcase.
Aldrin: We were in PTC at the time so each of us had a chance to take a look at this and it certainly seemed to be within our vicinity and of a very sizeable dimension.
Armstrong: We should say it was right at the limit of the resolution of the eye. It was very difficult to tell what shape it was. And there was no way to tell the size without knowing the range or the range without knowing the size.
Aldrin: So then I got down in the LEB and started looking for it in the optics. We were grossly misled because with the sextant off focus what we saw appeared to be a cylinder.
Armstrong: Or really two rings.
Aldrin: Yes.
Armstrong: Two rings. Two connected rings.
Aldrin: Yes.
Collins: No, it looked like a hollow cylinder to me. It didn't look like two connected rings. You could see this thing tumbling and, when it came around end-on, you could look right down in it's guts. It was a hollow cylinder. But then you could change the focus on the sextant and it would be replaced by this open book shape. It was really weird.
Aldrin: I guess there's not too much more to say about it other than it wasn't a cylinder.
Collins: It was during the period when we thought it was a cylinder that we inquired about the S-IVB and we'd almost convinced ourselves that's what it had to be. But we don't have any more conclusions than that really. The fact that we didn't see it much past this one period --- we really don't have a conclusion as to what it might have been, how big it was, or how far away it was. It was something that wasn't part of the urine dump, we're pretty sure of that.

In his book "RETURN TO EARTH" Buzz Aldrin. writes the following on pages 223-224;

In the middle of one evening, Houston time, I found myself idly staring out the window of the Columbia and saw something that looked a bit unusual. It appeared brighter than any star and not quite the pinpoints of light that stars are. I pointed this out to Mike and Neil, and the three of us were beset with curiosity. With the help of the monocular we guessed that whatever it was, it was only a hundred or so miles away. Looking at it through our sextant we found it occasionaly formed a cylinder, but when the sextant's focus was adjusted it had a sort of illuminated "L" look to it. It had a shape of some sort -- we all agreed on that -- but exactly what it was we couldnt pin down. We asked Houston some casual questions: "How far away is the Saturn third stage?" The response was in the vicinity of six thousand miles. That wasn't it.

It could possibly have been one of the panels of the Saturn third stage which fly off to expose the LM and cannot be traced from earth. We could see it for about forty-five seconds at a time as the ship rotated, and we watched it on and off for about an hour. We debated whether or not to tell the ground we had spotted something, and decided against it. Our reason was simple: The UFO people would descend on the message in hordes, setting off another rash of UFO spottings back on earth. We concluded it was most likely on of the panels. Its course appeared in no way to conflict with ours, and it presented no danger. We dropped the matter there.

14Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 4:12 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:

That is exactly the way I think about it. I was young, but I remember when we all gathered around the TV to watch. It was the summer I turned 7. I remember maybe a year later, when I was in 3rd grade, I think, there was a lesson in our school textbook about true and false statements. One statement was: "Man has walked on the moon." The textbook said that the phrase was "False" but I remember our teacher smiling and saying that the textbook was wrong and had been printed before man had walked on the moon.
To anyone over age 50 this event was the biggest and most important American scientific event in our lifetime.

15Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 7:51 pm

I remember very clearly the night Armstrong first stepped on the moon. It was truly amazing. And something my Dad said is stuck in my mind forever - You gotta have brass balls to do that kinda shit! [/quote]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

hmmm. according to Teo the whole thing was faked.

it's amazing what they accomplished with less computing power than a cell phone.

16Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 8:03 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

thread_bear wrote:I remember very clearly the night Armstrong first stepped on the moon. It was truly amazing. And something my Dad said is stuck in my mind forever - You gotta have brass balls to do that kinda shit!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

hmmm. according to Teo the whole thing was faked.

it's amazing what they accomplished with less computing power than a cell phone. [/quote]

Hey faked or not those guys climbed on top of enough fuel and oxidizer to blown to eternity and rode it into space. That's not something to scoff at. If travel to the moon by living things isn't possible then I am sure they had a good reason at the time to fake it. It was the cold war and we had to beat the Russkies cause they had already beaten us into space. I in no way hold the Astronauts accountable for any government deception.

I think this pretty much nails the fact that man can't go to the moon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MalYSn_qIU4
Neil Armstrong is Dead Foot10

17Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 9:28 pm

after all that has happened, referring to you as a buffoon would be redundant. the fact that you still defend your obtuse notion in the face of all of the evidence only helps you look foolish.

what's next...?

is that mars rover also being faked....?

come on Teo. there's always a tipping point and you crossed that a long time ago.

18Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 9:40 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

thread_bear wrote:after all that has happened, referring to you as a buffoon would be redundant. the fact that you still defend your obtuse notion in the face of all of the evidence only helps you look foolish.

what's next...?

is that mars rover also being faked....?

come on Teo. there's always a tipping point and you crossed that a long time ago.

I got more understanding of Physics and science in my little finger than you can ever imagine having. Why don't you just toddle along ? Oh of course you haven't got a chance lately to name call and threaten. Your insanity at your lack of accomplishment must be swelling and goading you to attack whoever provides you with a "righteous" fight. You now must try to make a big show of yourself because that's all you got is bluster and a near bovine bullish intellect. I won't feed your need. KMA.

19Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 9:47 pm

I got more understanding of Physics and science in my little finger than you can ever imagine having. Why don't you just toddle along ? Oh of course you haven't got a chance lately to name call and threaten. Your insanity at your lack of accomplishment must be swelling and goading you to attack whoever provides you with a "righteous" fight. You now must try to make a big show of yourself because that's all you got is bluster and a near bovine bullish intellect. I won't feed your need. KMA.[/quote]

uh huh....

no doubt about it. you are the most smarterist in this equation.

20Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 10:03 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

thread_bear wrote:

it's amazing what they accomplished with less computing power than a cell phone.
The so-called Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) used a real time operating system, which enabled astronauts to enter simple commands by typing in pairs of nouns and verbs, to control the spacecraft. It was more basic than the electronics in modern toasters that have computer controlled stop/start/defrost buttons. It had approximately 64Kbyte of memory and operated at 0.043MHz.

http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Apollo-11-The-computers-that-put-man-on-the-moon

21Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 10:06 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ten little-known Apollo 11 facts

1. The Apollo’s Saturn rockets were packed with enough fuel to throw 100-pound shrapnel three miles, and NASA couldn’t rule out the possibility that they might explode on takeoff. NASA seated its VIP spectators three and a half miles from the launchpad.

2. The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone.

3. Drinking water was a fuel-cell by-product, but Apollo 11’s hydrogen-gas filters didn’t work, making every drink bubbly. Urinating and defecating in zero gravity, meanwhile, had not been figured out; the latter was so troublesome that at least one astronaut spent his entire mission on an anti-diarrhea drug to avoid it.

4. When Apollo 11’s lunar lander, the Eagle, separated from the orbiter, the cabin wasn’t fully depressurized, resulting in a burst of gas equivalent to popping a champagne cork. It threw the module’s landing four miles off-target.

5. Pilot Neil Armstrong nearly ran out of fuel landing the Eagle, and many at mission control worried he might crash. Apollo engineer Milton Silveira, however, was relieved: His tests had shown that there was a small chance the exhaust could shoot back into the rocket as it landed and ignite the remaining propellant.

6. The "one small step for man" wasn’t actually that small. Armstrong set the ship down so gently that its shock absorbers didn’t compress. He had to hop 3.5 feet from the Eagle’s ladder to the surface.

7. When Buzz Aldrin joined Armstrong on the surface, he had to make sure not to lock the Eagle's door because there was no outer handle.

8. The toughest moonwalk task? Planting the flag. NASA’s studies suggested that the lunar soil was soft, but Armstrong and Aldrin found the surface to be a thin wisp of dust over hard rock. They managed to drive the flagpole a few inches into the ground and film it for broadcast, and then took care not to accidentally knock it over.

9. The flag was made by Sears, but NASA refused to acknowledge this because they didn’t want "another Tang."

10. The inner bladder of the space suits—the airtight liner that keeps the astronaut’s body under Earth-like pressure—and the ship’s computer’s ROM chips were handmade by teams of “little old ladies.”

22Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 10:21 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Neil Armstrong is Dead Apollo_11_plaque_closeup_on_Moon

23Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/26/2012, 11:19 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ran across this interesting photo.
The Apollo 12 moon landing (the 2nd one) was able to land the lunar module very near to another unmanned lander (called Surveyor) that was put on the moon in 1967. Here you see the astronaut standing beside Surveyor with his lunar module in the background.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/43ancients/04images/Moon9/Surveyor_3/GPN-2000-001316.jpg

24Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/27/2012, 2:29 am

VectorMan wrote:I remember very clearly the night Armstrong first stepped on the moon. It was truly amazing. And something my Dad said is stuck in my mind forever - You gotta have brass balls to do that kinda shit!

Neil Armstrong is Dead Th?id=I5019189636235280&pid=1

34 meganewtons of thrust kicking me in the ass as I light off the torch! Sign me up! Oh yeah!!!!!!...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erL15K5eRnI

Smile

25Neil Armstrong is Dead Empty Re: Neil Armstrong is Dead 8/8/2019, 1:07 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Anyone remember a TV host from the fifties called Gary Moore? Carol Burnett and Durwood Kirby were regulars on his show. Anyway they did a sketch in Moore's variety show back in the early sixties with Moore playing the first man sent to the Moon. His name was "Armstrong." In 1962, on the day Armstrong became an astronaut for NASA, Armstrong's parents were guests on Moore's "I've Got A Secret" show. Moore asked Neil's mother how she would feel if her son was the first man to go to the Moon. Maybe Armstrong was chosen to be first man long before they said he was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum