Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got to love it.........

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Got to love it......... Empty Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 5:33 pm

Remember all the heat us old timers got about driving beach buggys on the beach? I guess these little SOBs are just fine. LOL
Got to love it......... Bilde?Site=DP&Date=20120824&Category=HURRICANE&ArtNo=120824011&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Escambia-Santa-Rosa-begin-preparations-ahead-Isaac

2Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 5:48 pm

nice.................
Why not post the other picture that shows them carting off the lifeguard station for safe keeping before the storm hits ?

3Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 10:52 pm

jeeperman wrote:nice.................
Why not post the other picture that shows them carting off the lifeguard station for safe keeping before the storm hits ?

Welcome, Jeep!

Georgie Boy, we didn't drive no storm shutters on the beach.

Hey, y'all. That reminds me of stuff we used to put in sand for traction purposes. One was stiff sheets of metal about 2' wide and 10' long, and they had big holes punched in them... Morriston Matting?

The other product was kinda like a bunch of chains side by side, but they weren't chains. They could be rolled up, though. I'm looking for that chain-type material. I have an area down the side of my house in Hoover that has at least a 30 degree slope and it is slippery. I'm thinking of anchoring a chain mat or two to the slope to increase traction. Any ideas?

Last edited by Yomama on 8/24/2012, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 11:02 pm

Something is strange. That is not the picture I posted. It changed some ways. I can not find the photo I posted on the PNJ. Weird I was going to repost it but maybe it got pulled. who knows...LOL

5Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 11:12 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

It's a conspiracy i tell ya !

6Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 11:14 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:Something is strange. That is not the picture I posted. It changed some ways. I can not find the photo I posted on the PNJ. Weird I was going to repost it but maybe it got pulled. who knows...LOL

I think it was an operator problem. Razz

Hey, read my post above and see what you think.

7Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 11:51 pm

I am not familiar with chain stuff(I will research it) But the other things we used we Air craft Landing mats.
Got to love it......... _1-psp-mats-001
The Pierced Steel Plank or PSP Landing Mat
The Pierced Steel Plank, or PSP Mat, was developed by the US Army Corp in anticipation of our involvement in World War II. The US Army Air Corps summoned representatives of America’s leading steel companies to help in this development:

“Gentlemen, we want you to build a good portable airport. It must be strong, light, simple, fool proof, safe and inexpensive. It must be so simple that it can be laid on any fairly level piece of land with a few days work. It must be so foolproof that if some parts are lost, it will still be useful. It must be safe for any type of airplane, under any weather conditions. It must be so light that it can be transported swiftly and easily to any spot.”

This sounded like a tall order, but American ingenuity persevered and within a short period of time, the US Pierced Steel Plank mat or PSP mat was in production. Many historians believe the Pierced Steel Planks were a primary tool in winning the war.

Over the years, there have been updates and changes, but the initial design for the Pierced Steel Planks or PSP mat is and has served our country quite well. These mats are still in use by the US Army Air Corps for temporary runways, storage and parking areas for heavy equipment.

The Pierced Steel Planks are 10′ long x 16″ Wide and made out of 10 gauge steel. The PSP mat was designed with holes to reduce the weight, improve aircraft traction and facilitate drainage. Flanging the holes kept the mat durable by compensating for the strength lost by removing a portion of the metal.

The planks joined together by a locking mechanism consisting of alternating rows of slots on one side and sliding interlocking projection on the other. The use of a spring clips lock the mats in place.

PSP Mat Applications
Calumet Industries Inc has offered used government surplus landing mats for sale to the general public for over 50 years. The sale of these mats are to a wide variety of consumers.

The Pierced Steel Plank mat is utilized by many construction and oil field drilling companies for temporary roads, parking areas and storage of heavy equipment at drilling sites.

Using PSP mats as temporary roadways has the added advantage of combating weather conditions that would normally delay construction. They are also utilized in environmentally protected areas and wetland application. Some other common uses include:

1. Temporary and permanent aircraft landing fields or runways
2. Temporary roadways or access routes for trucks, heavy equipment, backhoes, concrete trucks, tree trimmers and cranes.
3. Construction Sites
4. Helicopter Landing Pads
5. Irrigation Tracks
6. Launches and boat ramp extensions
7. Corrals and chutes for livestock
8. Warehouse flooring
9. Mobile home moving
10. RV tracks or storage areas
11. Storage platforms for heavy equipment, supplies or runways.

Pierced Steel Plank can also be used to pave driveways. Find out how PSP was used to pave temporary road in the Rosedale Driveway Project.

Contact Calumet for more information about Pierced Steel Plank landing mats.

8Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/24/2012, 11:55 pm

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Hallmark, I saw the old photo. The PNJ obsessive-compulsiely tweaks the articles so when such a change was made in this article they swapped photos even though the link stayed the same. My guess is that they do that when the comments take a turn they don't like. New article.....all prior comments squelched.

(Nice to see you around, Jeep. Had been wondering where you had been. Maybe this hurricane will land you another boat, lol).

9Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/25/2012, 11:05 am

Yomama wrote:

Welcome, Jeep!
Thanks

I have an area down the side of my house in Hoover that has at least a 30 degree slope and it is slippery. I'm thinking of anchoring a chain mat or two to the slope to increase traction. Any ideas?

How about some chainlink fence without the hardware?
Just lay it down and stake it.
Grass will still grow and you can mow right over it.

10Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/25/2012, 12:50 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

jeeperman wrote:

Howdy, Jeep! Good to see you here! Very Happy

11Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/25/2012, 4:54 pm

jeeperman wrote:
Yomama wrote:

Welcome, Jeep!
Thanks

I have an area down the side of my house in Hoover that has at least a 30 degree slope and it is slippery. I'm thinking of anchoring a chain mat or two to the slope to increase traction. Any ideas?

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking at stuff like this:

Got to love it......... Gsimg510

Hallmarkgrad, that stuff you showed is what we used to call Morisston Matting. I obviously don't know how to spell it. We used it a lot at my dad's marina.

12Got to love it......... Empty Re: Got to love it......... 8/26/2012, 8:41 pm

Here.... Mr Jeeper man Noth Escambia had the picture Leave nothing but tire tracks
Got to love it......... Isaaclifeguard-540x282

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum