Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So, how long before the smear campaign against the SCOTUS justices who made this HL decison?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

O called them out once in a SOTU address in which Alito visibly shook his head in disgust. Just waiting now for the smear in 5, 4......

2seaoat

"Precisely because 'we are a cosmopolitan nation made up of people of almost every conceivable religious preference,' " wrote Anontin Scalia, quoting from Braunfeld v. Brown, "and precisely because we value and protect that religious divergence, we cannot afford the luxury of deeming presumptively invalid, as applied to the religious objector, every regulation of conduct that does not protect an interest of the highest order. The rule respondents favor would open the prospect of constitutionally required religious exemptions from civic obligations of almost every conceivable kind."

Just saying......the court is entrusted with doctrinal consistency and continuity, and this really can be limited to JUST this case and fact pattern, but the lack of doctrinal consistency is stunning. I really do not have a big problem with this case limited to JUST this case, but after years of lawsuits, I am afraid the Supreme Court has stepped exactly where our founding fathers did not want them to step under the Establishment Clause.......Where the Catholic majority is giving credence to a concept of abortion with the morning after pill, yet fails to recognize a religious ceremony of native Americans........big problems for the Supremes, and there will be plenty of time to qualify this decision, but I agree with the characterization that the Supreme Court just walked into a minefield where Government will decide which religions are sincere and worthy......not the place we want our court.

Sal

Sal

The conservatives on the Court are complicit with the GOP in attempting to establish a theocratic plutocracy to serve their corporatist masters.

2seaoat wrote:"Precisely because 'we are a cosmopolitan nation made up of people of almost every conceivable religious preference,' " wrote Anontin Scalia, quoting from Braunfeld v. Brown, "and precisely because we value and protect that religious divergence, we cannot afford the luxury of deeming presumptively invalid, as applied to the religious objector, every regulation of conduct that does not protect an interest of the highest order. The rule respondents favor would open the prospect of constitutionally required religious exemptions from civic obligations of almost every conceivable kind."

Just saying......the court is entrusted with doctrinal consistency and continuity, and this really can be limited to JUST this case and fact pattern, but the lack of doctrinal consistency is stunning.   I really do not have a big problem with this case limited to JUST this case, but after years of lawsuits, I am afraid the Supreme Court has stepped exactly where our founding fathers did not want them to step under the Establishment Clause.......Where the Catholic majority is giving credence to a concept of abortion with the morning after pill, yet fails to recognize a religious ceremony of native Americans........big problems for the Supremes, and there will be plenty of time to qualify this decision, but I agree with the characterization that the Supreme Court just walked into a minefield where Government will decide which religions are sincere and worthy......not the place we want our court.

We would not be here had the SCOTUS had the cahones to shoot down this crap law in the first place.

2seaoat

We would not be here had the SCOTUS had the cahones to shoot down this crap law in the first place.

The law was always clearly constitutional. This decision if completely limited to the facts presented which the court bent over backwards to explain the same, is perhaps not as clear, but it is constitutional for now. The rubber will hit the road in attempting to apply this twisted contortion act to other facts and then come out with doctrinal consistency.......it is literally a minefield, and that is without addressing the huge equal protection issues which the court did not even want to go near.

I always accept the law of the land, but here I think there must be additional cases to qualify exactly what just happened beyond the artificial baffling mechanism of this case standing only on these facts.........no corporate lawyer in America is going to accept that as they prepare their pleadings using this very case as precedent.......it will be interesting.

Sal

Sal

It's not only Constitutional, but the Court went out of its way to explain that one way to fill the gap would be to extend to these women an accommodation the Obama administration offered to employees of religious nonprofits like universities and hospitals.

It's not that this can't be overcome.

It can and will be.

It's that this is a really bad ruling that sets a horrendous precedent.

2seaoat wrote:We would not be here had the SCOTUS had the cahones to shoot down this crap law in the first place.

The law was always clearly constitutional.   This decision if completely limited to the facts presented which the court bent over backwards to explain the same, is perhaps not as clear, but it is constitutional for now.  The rubber will hit the road in attempting to apply this twisted contortion act to other facts and then come out with doctrinal consistency.......it is literally a minefield, and that is without addressing the huge equal protection issues which the court did not even want to go near.

I always accept the law of the land, but here I think there must be additional cases to qualify exactly what just happened beyond the artificial baffling mechanism of this case standing only on these facts.........no corporate lawyer in America is going to accept that as they prepare their pleadings using this very case as precedent.......it will be interesting.

No, it was not constitutional until the SCOTUS guided Obama's lawyers to that conclusion when it was found out to fail if argued any other way.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It's "Christian" Dominionism...and it's much worse than just this off-the-wall SCOTUS decision.

(Wiki:)

"Dominion Theology or Dominionism is the idea that Christians should work toward either a nation governed by Christians or one governed by a conservative Christian understanding of biblical law. At least under this name, it exists primarily among Protestants in the United States. It is a form of theocracy and is related to theonomy, though it does not necessarily advocate Mosaic law as the basis of government. Prominent adherents of Dominion Theology are otherwise theologically diverse, including the Calvinist Christian Reconstructionism and the charismatic/Pentecostal Kingdom Now theology and New Apostolic Reformation.

Some elements within the mainstream Christian right have been influenced by Dominion Theology authors. Indeed, some writers have applied the term "Dominionism" more broadly to the mainstream Christian right, implicitly arguing that that movement is founded upon a theology that requires Christians to govern over non-Christians. Mainstream conservatives do not call themselves "Dominionists," and the usage has sparked considerable controversy..."

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/27/hobby_lobbys_secret_agenda_how_its_secretly_funding_a_vast_right_wing_movement/

"...But a document published here for the first time reveals Hobby Lobby appears to be going much further than protecting freedom, providing funding for a group that backs a political network of activist groups deeply engaged in pushing a Christian agenda into American law. The document shows entities related to the company to be two of the largest donors to the organization funding a right-wing Christian agenda, investing tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars into a vast network of organizations working in concert to advance an agenda that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays and lesbians and deny their employees contraceptives under a maximalist interpretation of the Free Exercise Clause of the United States Constitution..."

Long article, but it explains much more about the Greens & Hobby Lobby.

Also this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/103232410/Theocracy-Rising-Dominionists-Christian-Nationalists-Reconstructionists-Their-Political-Connections-and-the-Threat-They-Pose-to-our-Nation

2seaoat

Tex,

I disagree. Every person who serves on the Supreme Court is very gifted. Without exception most of these men are brilliant and achieved legal scholars. People attack justice Thomas, but he is extremely bright, but he is rather lazy and follows Scalia religiously. Scalia is brilliant. He is leading the charge to scale back the abuses of government on search warrants and probable cause. Roberts is probably the most common sense and gifted justice the court has seen in thirty years, and they are working to scale back the power of government. They just got this wrong. Not so much in the limited decision, but the doctrinal inconsistency which will be extremely difficult to back out. To suggest that these men put their religion before their decisions based on law I think goes too far, but certainly the majority of the catholic conservative justices have very strong moral frameworks, and I think this case has caused a collision with their otherwise stellar logic.

no stress

no stress

Sal wrote:It's not only Constitutional, but the Court went out of its way to explain that one way to fill the gap would be to extend to these women an accommodation the Obama administration offered to employees of religious nonprofits like universities and hospitals.

It's not that this can't be overcome.

It can and will be.

It's that this is a really bad ruling that sets a horrendous precedent.
And you received your law degree when?........love it when basement dwellers think they know better than sitting Supreme Court Justices.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

It seems to me that nobody has to buy anything from Hobby Lobby if they don't want to. Likewise, nobody has to remain an employee of that firm unless they want to.

In the end, the power always lies with the people, not companies or governments.

Viva la Raza!

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Tex,

I disagree.  Every person who serves on the Supreme Court is very gifted.  Without exception most of these men are brilliant and achieved legal scholars.  People attack justice Thomas, but he is extremely bright, but he is rather lazy and follows Scalia religiously.   Scalia is brilliant.   He is leading the charge to scale back the abuses of government on search warrants and probable cause.  Roberts is probably the most common sense and gifted justice the court has seen in thirty years, and they are working to scale back the power of government.   They just got this wrong.   Not so much in the limited decision, but the doctrinal inconsistency which will be extremely difficult to back out.   To suggest that these men put their religion before their decisions based on law I think goes too far, but certainly the majority of the catholic conservative justices have very strong moral frameworks, and I think this case has caused a collision with their otherwise stellar logic.

BS. 

They can't even issue a ruling without having to "clarify" it the next day. 

Alito's opinion was a mess. 

It's really pathetic. 

2seaoat

Alito's opinion was a mess.

I cannot disagree, but they are hanging their hat on the fact that this is limited to this fact pattern. Not the best law, and I will try to actually read the decision later next week to see if I can understand how they got around equal protection arguments. Certainly women in this country are going to be piszed......as Hillary said it is a sliding scale......and this may not be as bad as female mutilations, or killing female babies, or not allowing girls to go to school, but there is a scent of women as chattel who like a cow carrying a calf, does not have a whole lot to say about being pregnant and having choices......the master makes those decisions.........this thing just smells wrong, and until I can read it, I am a bit confused......but it is now the law of the land, and limited to this fact pattern.....not really the end of the world.

I love how the liberals are in full tilt spazz over this decision. Remember when I said that the pendulum would swing back? Well, it has and you guys are starting to see (as is the rest of America) that pendulum bring things back to the NORM, not the far extreme the liberals wish America to be.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Tex,

I disagree.  Every person who serves on the Supreme Court is very gifted.  Without exception most of these men are brilliant and achieved legal scholars.  People attack justice Thomas, but he is extremely bright, but he is rather lazy and follows Scalia religiously.   Scalia is brilliant.   He is leading the charge to scale back the abuses of government on search warrants and probable cause.  Roberts is probably the most common sense and gifted justice the court has seen in thirty years, and they are working to scale back the power of government.   They just got this wrong.   Not so much in the limited decision, but the doctrinal inconsistency which will be extremely difficult to back out.   To suggest that these men put their religion before their decisions based on law I think goes too far, but certainly the majority of the catholic conservative justices have very strong moral frameworks, and I think this case has caused a collision with their otherwise stellar logic.

In that context, please explain the Citizens United decision and McCutcheon v FEC.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum