Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another opportunity for improvement, why not?

+3
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
othershoe1030
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It is no secret that when it comes to paid parental leave, the United States is among the least generous in the world, ranking down with the handful of countries that don’t offer any paid leave at all, among them Liberia, Suriname and Papua New Guinea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/your-money/us-trails-much-of-the-world-in-providing-paid-family-leave.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Americans are fond of saying we are number one but what criteria are we using? If we are ideally supposed to be a country of family values why do we fall short in this area? I think it is basically ignorance of what goes on in the rest of the world that leads us to think we are in such good shape. If most other countries can provide paid family leave, why can't we?

Another opportunity for improvement, why not? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqDrJpvv3fA-ufAVC938g_XoYf7OlR7u7CLACCGqsQesWYj8EA

More progressive government solutions that will cost businesses money.

Yeah team!

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRpRMSu4g

Smile

maybe we were number one because we were a functioning country with a grade A credit rating and few people on welfare and good jobs for most. but all that was before all of you started feeing like you need to compare us to lower grade countries, then we had to set the mark lower to reach because up is down.

Paid parental leave cost the company and that cost is passed on to the consumer. Working and raising a family is a sacrifice. The sacrifice either comes in loss of wages and buckling down to a smaller home budget or a sacrifice of spending time with the kids. Whether it's a father or mother,I don't see why an employer should pay someone to have family leave.

Thanks, Mom, for making the choice to stay home. The budget was tight (I see that as an adult) and I know sacrifices were made.

People today want it all with no sacrifice. Let the employer pay is the mentality.

It's led us down a path of destruction.

JMHO...dated as it may be. Wink

othershoe1030 wrote:It is no secret that when it comes to paid parental leave, the United States is among the least generous in the world, ranking down with the handful of countries that don’t offer any paid leave at all, among them Liberia, Suriname and Papua New Guinea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/your-money/us-trails-much-of-the-world-in-providing-paid-family-leave.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Americans are fond of saying we are number one but what criteria are we using? If we are ideally supposed to be a country of family values why do we fall short in this area? I think it is basically ignorance of what goes on in the rest of the world that leads us to think we are in such good shape. If most other countries can provide paid family leave, why can't we?

$15 an hour minimum wage, pay us when we aren't working and pretty soon you'll just want a paycheck for not working is where this ends up.

BTW, we already PAY people not working to stay home with their kids and that is funded by the taxpayer. Just look at all the baby-mommas that are collecting welfare (subsidized housing, SNAP etc) for 1-9 kids or more....mo kids= mo money is their mantra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v921CaZYsow

"Someone needs to pay for all my children" starts at 3:14

Last edited by PACEDOG#1 on 6/24/2014, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:Paid parental leave cost the company and that cost is passed on to the consumer.  Working and raising a family is a sacrifice.  The sacrifice either comes in loss of wages and buckling down to a smaller home budget or a sacrifice of spending time with the kids.  Whether it's a father or mother,I don't see why an employer should pay someone to have family leave.

Thanks, Mom, for making the choice to stay home.  The budget was tight (I see that as an adult) and I know sacrifices were made.  

People today want it all with no sacrifice.  Let the employer pay is the mentality.

JMHO...dated as it may be.  Wink

Dammit, what a disgusting attitude. This is America where entitlement is expected. It's not something that has to be earned. It's not about tightening the belt or doing without. Time off with pay!!!!

Some employers have combined sick days, vacation days and comp time to be used as needed for paid time off (PTO). Who the hell wants to use their own paid time off for their personal stuff?

SheWrites wrote:Paid parental leave cost the company and that cost is passed on to the consumer. Working and raising a family is a sacrifice. The sacrifice either comes in loss of wages and buckling down to a smaller home budget or a sacrifice of spending time with the kids. Whether it's a father or mother,I don't see why an employer should pay someone to have family leave.

Thanks, Mom, for making the choice to stay home. The budget was tight (I see that as an adult) and I know sacrifices were made.

People today want it all with no sacrifice. Let the employer pay is the mentality.

JMHO...dated as it may be. Wink

Dated or not... that's a good objective post. There is no free lunch... go earn it.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The company I worked for before I retired wound up with a PTO program. It was rather generous, I thought. Everyone got 4 sick days added to their annual PTO allotment (vacation time), which if you did not use it for sickness, you could use it as vacation. The flip side was, if you got sick and needed more than 4 days, you then had to use your PTO, and if you were out longer than your vacation allotment, you took unpaid family leave.

The extra 4 days was a business decision enacted around 2001. Before that, you could simply take a sick day now and then and be paid for it. What they found were employees abusing that system. Employees were calling in sick just to have a paid day off and some female employees were taking one or two days off monthly to cover their periods. When they saw folks taking 10-12 sick days per year on a routine basis, they had to clamp-down. But, for those of us who did not engage in such abuses, the new policy was a boon (yay, 4 more days to take).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Give me, Give me, Give me, Give me!

Me, me, me, me, me!

I've gotten addicted to some pretty heavy war movies lately and the truth is we don't have a clue how dam lucky we are.

Put your hands slowly back in your pocket and be grateful.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

My, my, my, what interesting reactions to discovering that we are among three nations that do not provide paid family leave.

Why is there no curiosity re how other countries (except two others and us) have set this up? Why do we not see this benefit single-handedly causing the destruction of the global economy? Obviously all the other countries have figured out how to do this and find value in it.

As for claiming that we are not number one because we are comparing ourselves
to "lower grade countries", I presume that means less developed? So if other countries have lower infant mortality and longer life expectancy rates they are really inferior to the United States because...why? This defies all reason.

I guess I shouldn't have been shocked (and really wasn't) by the knee jerk, gut reactions of the folks posting here. But I think this is part of our problem of being able to evaluate and improve our country in a less emotional way than that shown here.

If we can not even acknowledge the existence of actual facts and a basic reality about our performance as a nation in various fields such as health care, infant mortality, life expectancy, efficiency of the health care system, rate of unwanted pregnancies, housing, income gaps, educational levels, etc. then we will never be able to improve and make life better for our citizens.

I know, I know, it is each person's individual responsibility to climb the ladder of success for him/her self. We all know this and have heard this expressed loud and clear over and over on this forum, and I totally agree with this outlook to a great extent, however, there seems to be a significant difference between the ladder we have set up for our citizens to climb and those created by other countries for their people.

In our passion to love this country we should not exclude the option of looking at it with a clear eye to the disregard of reality. How can we improve by keeping the blinders of non-rational pseudo patriotism on?

othershoe1030 wrote:My, my, my, what interesting reactions to discovering that we are among three nations that do not provide paid family leave.

Why is there no curiosity re how other countries (except two others and us) have set this up? Why do we not see this benefit single-handedly causing the destruction of the global economy? Obviously all the other countries have figured out how to do this and find value in it.

to "lower grade countries", I presume that means less developed? So if other countries have lower infant mortality and longer life expectancy rates they are really inferior to the United States because...why? This defies all reason.

I guess I shouldn't have been shocked (and really wasn't) by the knee jerk, gut reactions of the folks posting here. But I think this is part of our problem of being able to evaluate and improve our country in a less emotional way than that shown here.

If we can not even acknowledge the existence of actual facts and a basic reality about our performance as a nation in various fields such as health care, infant mortality, life expectancy, efficiency of the health care system, rate of unwanted pregnancies, housing, income gaps, educational levels, etc. then we will never be able to improve and make life better for our citizens.

I know, I know, it is each person's individual responsibility to climb the ladder of success for him/her self. We all know this and have heard this expressed loud and clear over and over on this forum, and I totally agree with this outlook to a great extent, however, there seems to be a significant difference between the ladder we have set up for our citizens to climb and those created by other countries for their people.

In our passion to love this country we should not exclude the option of looking at it with a clear eye to the disregard of reality. How can we improve by keeping the blinders of non-rational pseudo patriotism on?

I wonder why all those generations before could raise their children without this being in play and every kid turn out OK? My dad raised my sister and myself because my mom ran off and partied his money away.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I wonder why all those generations before could raise their children without this being in play and every kid turn out OK? My dad raised my sister and myself because my mom ran off and partied his money away.

All those generations and perfect kids??? Talk about using an air brush on history! Oh, so life was perfect in the U.S. back in the day? Really?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

othershoe1030 wrote:It is no secret that when it comes to paid parental leave, the United States is among the least generous in the world, ranking down with the handful of countries that don’t offer any paid leave at all, among them Liberia, Suriname and Papua New Guinea.

Reading your posts......are you proposing paid family leave is going to improve infant mortality rates?

by othershoe1030 Today at 9:33 am

All those generations and perfect kids??? Talk about using an air brush on history! Oh, so life was perfect in the U.S. back in the day? Really?
--------
Considering what I see in my day job out of kids today, yes on average kids were more respectful

Had a better grasp of basic academics, and were more focused and less distracted.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

We already reward the poor for breeding by increased handouts as well as the ever increasing illegal immigrants.

Some Corporations are already providing it as a benefit in order to become more competitive in obtaining decent hires.  If one has a modicum of something to offer an employer and it's an issue for them, nothing prevents them from seeking out those employers.

Isn't that something more for your Union to take on?

Not government mandate.  Something must give.  What would you suggest eliminating to help defray additional costs via increased costs of goods or increased taxes or both?

Where does it end?  The money supply is not unlimited and I personally have no interest in paying even more people to breed if they can't afford to or aren't willing to make some sacrifices.

Last edited by stormwatch89 on 6/25/2014, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

othershoe1030 wrote:My, my, my, what interesting reactions to discovering that we are among three nations that do not provide paid family leave.

Another opportunity for improvement, why not? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTgs9y5NGSFjR0w-Oj1-eh9z-aOVFVBwc9luRZp_GrVBQ3bWgW

Does China, India, and all the other countries that use child labor offer this incentive to the laborers?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0

Smile 

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PACEDOG#1 wrote:by othershoe1030 Today at 9:33 am

--------
Considering what I see in my day job out of kids today, yes on average kids were more respectful

Respectfully, every generation thinks the next group coming up lacks manners, motivation, etc. and it always turns out okay in the end. This is not a new attitude.  

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Damaged Eagle wrote:

Does China, India, and all the other countries that use child labor offer this incentive to the laborers?

Read the article.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Given the responses of basically "hell no" offered here I have another question:   Is it possible for another country to have a better idea about some situation than we do or are we just the only country on the planet that can come up with correct solutions? Are we allowed to admit that we can improve?

Have other countries come up with solutions/methods of dealing say, with their healthcare system that are more efficient than ours and deliver better care than our judged by outcomes? Can we learn anything from them?

Do other countries have better more efficient and productive educational systems than ours? Can we learn anything from them?

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-efficient-health-care-countries

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-20498356

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Education..In Korea many businesses and corporations offer college educations for employees children as an employee benefit.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Of course other countries can do some things better.

For one, have an education system that's not controlled by Unions.

Still, there has to be a reason illegals are flocking here.

"Entitlements??"

You are just suggesting more.

no stress

no stress

SheWrites wrote:Paid parental leave cost the company and that cost is passed on to the consumer.  Working and raising a family is a sacrifice.  The sacrifice either comes in loss of wages and buckling down to a smaller home budget or a sacrifice of spending time with the kids.  Whether it's a father or mother,I don't see why an employer should pay someone to have family leave.

Thanks, Mom, for making the choice to stay home.  The budget was tight (I see that as an adult) and I know sacrifices were made.  

People today want it all with no sacrifice.  Let the employer pay is the mentality.

JMHO...dated as it may be.  Wink
EXCELLENT!!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Markle

Markle

Why is it important that we lead the world in forcing employers to give money away? How does lower production make us a better nation in any way whatsoever?

No, we're no longer in such good shape, President Barack Hussein Obama has seen to that with his doctrine's and policies.

MINUS 2.9% GDP for the first quarter. Hard to get much worse. You should be celebrating.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

You should hide your head in shame for supporting an ideology that's destructive to our citizens. But then you know that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum