Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I worship the only true God. And it sure as hell aint that limey, Eric Clapton, or that pussy who lived in the Middle East and turned the other cheek. God is a southerner.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Brothers and sisters, I present to you the Lord Almighty.  Listen to him soothe our savage souls,  ya'll.  And it's a sin if you don't have a good subwoofer to hear Berry's bass playing.  The Lord commandeth you to go out and buyeth one before listening.

Sal

Sal

Duane mighta been a saint or something, but if you're talking guitar god, this guy blows him out of the sky .....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

blasphemy

and nobody blows Skydog out of the sky. That's why he's Skydog.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Just kidding,  Sal.  I've always loved Stevie Ray too.

You may not know that Vaughan's truly brilliant keyboard player,  Reese Wynans,  was in a band with Dickey Betts and Berry Oakley called "Second Coming".
Because of that,  Wynans was involved in the initial legendary Jacksonville jam session which led to the formation of the Allman Brothers Band.
He would have been a part of ABB but Duane wanted Greg to be the keyboard player instead.

Sal

Sal

I saw SRV for the first time at the age of 16 at the Louisville Gardens (capacity 6,000).

He was not very well known at the time, and I would make a generous guess that there were 500 people in attendance.

You could literally walk right up to the stage.

He burnt that mother fucker down.

Totally blew me away and changed my perception regarding good music.

A couple of years later he played the same venue to a sold out crowd, and burnt the mother fucker down again.

After that show, my buddies and I went to hole-in-the-wall bar in Jtown to shoot pool and drink beer.

A little after midnight, much to our amazement, in walked Stevie with his entourage.

After a few drinks, he played in impromptu acoustic set on the porch of the bar.

What a night!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:I saw SRV for the first time at the age of 16 at the Louisville Gardens (capacity 6,000).

He was not very well known at the time, and I would make a generous guess that there were 500 people in attendance.

You could literally walk right up to the stage.

He burnt that mother fucker down.

Totally blew me away and changed my perception regarding good music.

A couple of years later he played the same venue to a sold out crowd, and burnt the mother fucker down again.

After that show, my buddies and I went to hole-in-the-wall bar in Jtown to shoot pool and drink beer.

A little after midnight, much to our amazement, in walked Stevie with his entourage.

After a few drinks, he played in impromptu acoustic set on the porch of the bar.

What a night!

I got to hear Stevie Ray at the NO Jazzfest but there was a massive throng of people between me and him and I needed a pair of binoculars to even see the stage.
So I can't really say I got to SEE him. lol
Sal, I say this with no hesitation or compuncuation. You were so very lucky to get to witness an historical musical event of such monumental proportions that it makes me bleed with envy. If such had happened to me I might have to switch gods too.

Sal

Sal

This discussion is bringing back a lot of memories.

For the second sold out show in Louisville Gardens, Jeff Beck was the opening act.

A few years later, I saw him play a sold out show in Freedom Hall (capacity 19,000), and the opening act was the Greg Allman Band.

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Watch this, Sal

Sal

Sal

I love Duane Allman, Bob. 

He was great. 

I'm sure he was a great inspiration to SRV, who was better. 

I think Eric Clapton had both of them, along with Hendrix, assassinated. 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've got all four of em on the jukebox,  Sal.  If you ever get up here to god's country,  stop in for a listen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum