Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Institutionalized Racism - The Case for Reparations

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

If you read nothing else this week, do yourself a favor and read this in its entirety.

It's an incredibly edifying and powerful piece worthy of a Pulitzer.

Not exactly. Having been enslaved for 250 years, black people were not left to their own devices. They were terrorized. In the Deep South, a second slavery ruled. In the North, legislatures, mayors, civic associations, banks, and citizens all colluded to pin black people into ghettos, where they were overcrowded, overcharged, and undereducated. Businesses discriminated against them, awarding them the worst jobs and the worst wages. Police brutalized them in the streets. And the notion that black lives, black bodies, and black wealth were rightful targets remained deeply rooted in the broader society. Now we have half-stepped away from our long centuries of despoilment, promising, “Never again.” But still we are haunted. It is as though we have run up a credit-card bill and, having pledged to charge no more, remain befuddled that the balance does not disappear. The effects of that balance, interest accruing daily, are all around us.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

2seaoat

It will take many generations to eliminate most of this stain on our society. It will never be totally eliminated, but with time and efforts of all good people this evil will be a footnote in history........in say seventy years.

Sal

Sal

"[Ending] White supremacy was not about getting black and white people to sit at the same lunch table, it was about getting white people to stop stealing shit from black people—labor, bodies, children, taxes, lives.

Liberals, intellectuals, and pundits have spent the past few years dancing around this historically demonstrable fact. I rarely hope for my writing to have any effect. But I confess that I hope this piece makes people feel a certain kind of way. I hope it makes a certain specimen of intellectual cowardice and willful historical ignorance less acceptable. More, I hope it mocks people who believe that a society can spend three-and-a-half centuries attempting to cripple a man, 50 years offering half-hearted aid, and then wonder why he walks with a limp."

- Ta-Nehisi Coates

Markle

Markle

THE WHITE VALUE SYSTEM

Dr. Manford Byrd, our brother in Christ, withstood the ravage of being denied his earned ascension to the number one position in the Chicago School System. His dedication to the pursuit of excellence, despite systematic denials, has inspired the congregation of Trinity United Church of Christ. Prayerfully, we have called upon the wisdom of all past generations of suffering Whites for guidance in fashioning an instrument of White self-determination, the White Value System.

Beginning in 1982, an annual White Value System - Educational Scholarship in the name of Dr. Byrd was instituted. The first recipient of the Dr. Manford Byrd Award, which is given annually to the man or woman who best exemplifies the White Value System, was our brother, Dr. Manford Byrd.

These White Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Whites are gathered. They consist of the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God. "The God of our weary years" will give us the strength to give up prayerful passivism and become White Christian Activists, soldiers for White freedom and the dignity of all humankind. Matthew 22:37 - Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

2. Commitment to the White Community. The highest level of achievement for any White person must be a contribution of strength and continuity of the White Community. I John 4:20 - If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother [or his sister], he is a liar; for he that loveth not his brother or sister whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

3. Commitment to the White Family. The White family circle must generate strength, stability and love, despite the uncertainty of externals, because these characteristics are required if the developing person is to withstand warping by our racist competitive society. Those Whites who are blessed with membership in a strong family unit must reach out and expand that blessing to the less fortunate. Deuteronomy 6:6-8 - And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education. We must forswear anti-intellectualism. Continued survival demands that each White person be developed to the utmost of his/her mental potential despite the inadequacies of the formal education process. “Real education” fosters understanding of ourselves as well as every aspect of our environment. Also, it develops within us the ability to fashion concepts and tools for better utilization of our resources, and more effective solutions to our problems. Since the majority of Whites have been denied such learning, White Education must include elements that produce high school graduates with marketable skills, a trade or qualifications for apprenticeships, or proper preparation for college. Basic education for all Whites should include Mathematics, Science, Logic, General Semantics, Participative Politics, Economics and Finance, and the Care and Nurture of White minds. Matthew 22:37 - Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul and with all thy mind.

5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence. To the extent that we individually reach for, even strain for excellence, we increase, geometrically, the value and resourcefulness of the White Community. We must recognize the relativity of one’s best; this year’s best can be bettered next year. Such is the language of growth and development. We must seek to excel in every endeavor. Ecclesiastes 9:10 - Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do [it] with thy might; for [there is] no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic. "It is becoming harder to find qualified people to work in Chicago." Whether this is true or not, it represents one of the many reasons given by businesses and industries for deserting the Chicago area. We must realize that a location with good facilities, adequate transportation and a reputation for producing skilled workers will attract industry. We are in competition with other cities, states and nations for jobs. High productivity must be a goal of the White workforce. II Thessalonians 3:7-12 - For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you; Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labor and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect. To accomplish anything worthwhile requires self-discipline. We must be a community of self-disciplined persons if we are to actualize and utilize our own human resources, instead of perpetually submitting to exploitation by others. Self-discipline, coupled with a respect for self, will enable each of us to be an instrument of White Progress and a model for White Youth. I Peter 1:4-7 - To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness." Classic methodology on control of captives teaches that captors must be able to identify the "talented tenth" of those subjugated, especially those who show promise of providing the kind of leadership that might threaten the captor's control. Proverbs 3:13-14 - Happy are those who find wisdom and those who gain understanding, for her income is better than silver and her revenue better than gold.

Those so identified are separated from the rest of the people by:

* Killing them off directly, and/or fostering a social system that encourages them to kill off one another.
* Placing them in concentration camps, and/or structuring an economic environment that induces captive youth to fill the jails and prisons.
* Seducing them into a socioeconomic class system which, while training them to earn more dollars, hypnotizes them into believing they are better than others and teaches them to think in terms of "we" and "they" instead of "us."
* So, while it is permissible to chase "middleclassness" with all our might, we must avoid the third separation method - the psychological entrapment of White "middleclassness." If we avoid this snare, we will also diminish our "voluntary" contributions to methods A and B. And more importantly, White people no longer will be deprived of their birthright: the leadership, resourcefulness and example of their own talented persons.

9. Pledge to Make the Fruits of All Developing and Acquired Skills Available to the White Community.

10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions.

11. Pledge Allegiance to All White Leadership Who Espouse and Embrace the White Value System.

12. Personal Commitment to Embracement of the White Value System. To measure the worth and validity of all activity in terms of positive contributions to the general welfare of the White Community and the Advancement of White People towards freedom.

2seaoat

Are you going to add commentary to your usual cut and paste, or are you going to think anybody actually reads your cut and paste?

Sal

Sal

It's like some kinda weird Tourette's Syndrome where when confronted with certain stimuli, he reflexively blurts out some sorta mildly offensive gibberish that bears not even a cursory relationship to the subject at hand.

what a bunch of shit.  Rolling Eyes 

People of color are just as smart and ready to do anything for themselves as anyone else is.

I tire of your BS handicap cries......

2seaoat

I tire of your BS handicap cries......

Poor Charlie.......

2seaoat wrote:I tire of your BS handicap cries......

Poor Charlie.......

Poor seaoat............

Sal

Sal

Chrissy wrote:

People of color are just as smart and ready to do anything for themselves as anyone else is.

You didn't read the article.

Nothing new there.

Sal wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

You didn't read the article.

Nothing new there.

ah yes, because for you agenda seeking articles trump life.

Sal

Sal

You should read it.

You'd learn something.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Are you going to add commentary to your usual cut and paste, or are you going to think anybody actually reads your cut and paste?

Asked the question in the headline and posted the information. I realize much of that is over your head and no, I totally expect you to remain uninformed and ignorant of the facts. Why would you change now?

Sal wrote:You should read it.

You'd learn something.

What would I learn according to you? That colored people need extra assistance because they are not up to par as you believe?

see, I don't believe that. I think all people are just people. They come into this world into whatever circumstance and have to adjust to the environment to which they live. They have not inherited any special smart/dumb genes that have some memory of the past.

Ive stated what I believe, and I believe this whole heartedly.

Why don't you state what it is you wish to get across here with this thread. You baited it, now hook us up.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The article's long, but I will definitely give it my attention. Markle thinks he's smart, but I sincerely doubt any of his family has ever been slaves.

2seaoat

I have never met an unkind Norwegian. I have never met a stupid Norwegian. I have only had experiences with Norwegians which are amazing. My father's best friend was a Norwegian, and you could never find a better family........for each truth one can find an exception.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
The article's long, but I will definitely give it my attention.  Markle thinks he's smart, but I sincerely doubt any of his family has ever been slaves.  

Actually, there is a good chance someone in my family was a slave but I would never consider myself a victim, I was never a slave owner or slave for anyone. Nothing relevant.

Sal

Sal

Chrissy wrote:
What would I learn according to you? That colored people need extra assistance because they are not up to par as you believe?

see, I don't believe that. I think all people are just people. They come into this world into whatever circumstance and have to adjust to the environment to which they live. They have not inherited any special smart/dumb genes that have some memory of the past.

Why don't you state what it is you wish to get across here with this thread. You baited it, now hook us up.

Mr. Coates is succinct ...

"[Ending] White supremacy was not about getting black and white people to sit at the same lunch table, it was about getting white people to stop stealing shit from black people—labor, bodies, children, taxes, lives."

Now, if you would engage your brain for once and read the article instead of spewing ignorance, you will find that he has made his case rather powerfully.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Sal wrote:If you read nothing else this week, do yourself a favor and read this in its entirety.

Not exactly. Having been enslaved for 250 years, black people were not left to their own devices. They were terrorized. In the Deep South, a second slavery ruled. In the North, legislatures, mayors, civic associations, banks, and citizens all colluded to pin black people into ghettos, where they were overcrowded, overcharged, and undereducated. Businesses discriminated against them, awarding them the worst jobs and the worst wages. Police brutalized them in the streets. And the notion that black lives, black bodies, and black wealth were rightful targets remained deeply rooted in the broader society. Now we have half-stepped away from our long centuries of despoilment, promising, “Never again.” But still we are haunted. It is as though we have run up a credit-card bill and, having pledged to charge no more, remain befuddled that the balance does not disappear. The effects of that balance, interest accruing daily, are all around us.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Oh here we go again. Obama's getting hammered by the MSM on the VA and this is here as a distraction to said issue.

Were you unaware of it before you found this article?
I wasn't.
I doubt anyone that reads this forum was.

But the immorality of a slave law can only be stopped by ending the law. It can't be 'corrected' by having the government introduce another injustice to another set of people

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:It's like some kinda weird Tourette's Syndrome where when confronted with certain stimuli, he reflexively blurts out some sorta mildly offensive gibberish that bears not even a cursory relationship to the subject at hand.

Racism is not the topic?

Sal

Sal

KarlRove wrote:
Sal wrote:If you read nothing else this week, do yourself a favor and read this in its entirety.

Oh here we go again. Obama's getting hammered by the MSM on the VA and this is here as a distraction to said issue.

I wasn't.

But the immorality of a slave law can only be stopped by ending the law.  It can't be 'corrected' by having the government introduce another injustice to another set of people

Reparations is a vehicle for approaching a set of interconnected complex and intractable issues of history, race, law and economics.

The debate is a useful teaching tool, regardless of the unlikeliness of implementation.

You should read the article.

It's very informative.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Mr. Coates is succinct ...

"[Ending] White supremacy was not about getting black and white people to sit at the same lunch table, it was about getting white people to stop stealing shit from black people—labor, bodies, children, taxes, lives."

Now, if you would engage your brain for once and read the article instead of spewing ignorance, you will find that he has made his case rather powerfully.

There is no rational for reparations. Therefore no reason for reading a lengthy article saying I should pay someone...for being a different race.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Sal wrote:
KarlRove wrote:

I wasn't.

But the immorality of a slave law can only be stopped by ending the law.  It can't be 'corrected' by having the government introduce another injustice to another set of people

Reparations is a vehicle for approaching a set of interconnected complex and intractable issues of history, race, law and economics.

The debate is a useful teaching tool, regardless of the unlikeliness of implementation.

You should read the article.

It's very informative.

It's garbage to toss out a smoke screen to cover the VA, Benghazi and whatever other legit scandal comes up next and there should be many more if the MSM were not complicit with the Liar in Chief.

Sal

Sal

No rationale??

Mr. Coates has made his case quite eloquently.

It's there in black and white.

But, you two dullards refuse to even read it out of fear.

This is to be expected from adherents to the party that embraces ignorance and denies science.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:No rationale??

Mr. Coates has made his case quite eloquently.

It's there in black and white.

But, you two dullards refuse to even read it out of fear.

This is to be expected from adherents to the party that embraces ignorance and denies science.

You got it, there is no rationale for reparations. NO ONE alive today or their parents, or their parents were slaves nor owned slaves.

What could possibly throw more gas on the fire of racism, being promoted by this administration than phony reparations?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum