Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dollar Tumbles to 3.5 Month Low vs Yen... Yields Drop

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA330R620140519?irpc=932

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The dollar fell to its lowest in more than three months against the yen on Monday, pressured by a drop in U.S. Treasury yields that may be due to persistent uncertainty about U.S. economic growth prospects.

Mixed economic data and a generally dovish outlook from the Federal Reserve have weighed on U.S. bond yields, consequently tempering the dollar's ability to sustain meaningful gains this year.

"U.S. yields are still the main story," said Vassili Serebriakov, currency strategist, at BNP Paribas in New York. "The general feeling seems to be that the market is still vulnerable to the downside in terms of yields."

The dollar/yen pair is the most vulnerable to movements in U.S. yields because it is where the market holds the largest long positions on the greenback.

Benchmark U.S. 10-year yields fell to 2.51 percent on Monday from 2.52 percent late on Friday. Yields have fallen in four of the last five sessions and last Thursday, they tumbled to six-month lows.

The dollar fell as low as 101.11 yen, the weakest since early February. It was last at 101.18, down 0.3 percent. The greenback's break below 101.20 yen was the first time since November that it has traded lower than its 200-day moving average, which was at 101.17 yen.

It has been a choppy period for currency markets, hamstrung this year by a lack of clear differentiation between the economic stories of Japan, Europe and the United States.

Growth is now moving at different rates, although official borrowing costs in all three remain near rock bottom. Signs the European Central Bank is preparing to loosen monetary conditions even further knocked the euro back last week.

The single currency gained 0.2 percent on Monday to $1.3720 after a volatile session on Friday.

BNP's Serebriakov said the euro's strength was just a result of the dollar's broad weakness. "I don't think anybody wants to buy the euro at this point."

Analysts from Credit Agricole said the euro's resistance to further losses at the end of last week raised prospects it may head higher.

"This week's focus will be on PMI releases, which we expect to confirm a trend of further improving growth conditions," they said in a morning note.

"Under such conditions, position squaring-related EUR upside cannot be excluded. We advise against selling the single currency around the current levels. From a broader angle, however, we expect rallies to remain a sell."

The dollar index stood at 79.971 .DXY, down slightly on the day after notching up a modest 0.2 percent gain last week, when it touched a six-week peak of 80.338 on Thursday.

Investors also await minutes later this week of the Federal Reserve's April 29-30 policy meeting, as well as a private survey on China's manufacturing sector for May.

boards of FL

boards of FL

So what do you conclude from an article like this, PkrBum?

That the war of real significance is fought with currency... and we will lose by default.

2seaoat

So what do you conclude from an article like this, PkrBum?

Why bother......the posting of the article tells the whole story......I think it is called an empty suit.

In 1982, we got 275 yen for one dollar.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:That the war of real significance is fought with currency... and we will lose by default.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean?

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:That the war of real significance is fought with currency... and we will lose by default.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean?

I've wondered why you've never spoken of it. Even bernanke spoke of a comparison to the thirties a few years ago.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Interesting.  Can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean?  

I've wondered why you've never spoken of it. Even bernanke spoke of a comparison to the thirties a few years ago.

So...can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean? I swear this isn't a trick question.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Interesting.  Can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean?  

So...can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean? I swear this isn't a trick question.

Why don't you contribute here? I would think you have some knowledge of value to the forum on this subject?

My understanding is simply result oriented... the original policy intent, examples of application, and the results.

Everyone should know that already.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Why don't you contribute here? I would think you have some knowledge of value to the forum on this subject?

My understanding is simply result oriented... the original policy intent, examples of application, and the results.

I don't see this as a significant story, hence why I was curious as to why you posted it.  I still don't know why you posted it, and you're leaving me no choice but to assume you don't know why you posted it either.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Why don't you contribute here? I would think you have some knowledge of value to the forum on this subject?

I don't see this as a significant story, hence why I was curious as to why you posted it.  I still don't know why you posted it, and you're leaving me no choice but to assume you don't know why you posted it either.

Surprising... does economics not bother itself with currency manipulations? What are your views of ending the gold standard? The fed actions in the 30's to use devaluation as a tool? I'm not even sure what you think of the federal reserve?

You really don't contribute much to the forum... beyond blind faith support for all policies obama. You should be able to give us some insights... perhaps even an interesting economic anecdote. But no... the air of superiority is all we get.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Surprising... does economics not bother itself with currency manipulations? What are your views of ending the gold standard? The fed actions in the 30's to use devaluation as a tool? I'm not even sure what you think of the federal reserve?

You really don't contribute much to the forum... beyond blind faith support for all policies obama. You should be able to give us some insights... perhaps even an interesting economic anecdote. But no... the air of superiority is all we get.

I don't contribute much?  You're saying this within a thread that you created in which you have been asked to simply communicate your beliefs on the very subject that you started.  That's it.  So far, you don't seem to be able to do that.  I've given you every chance to prove me wrong, but alas.  

(insert air of superiority)

Prove you wrong about what? Lol... you haven't postulated anything. Are you denying currency manipulation takes place?

That is doesn't matter? Or is this where you say "AHHA"... and pretend you've proven some point above our heads?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Prove you wrong about what? Lol... you haven't postulated anything.

boards of FL wrote:So what do you conclude from an article like this, PkrBum?

boards of FL wrote:Interesting.  Can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean?  

boards of FL wrote:So...can you elaborate on that, specifically explaining what it is that you mean?  I swear this isn't a trick question.

boards of FL wrote:I don't see this as a significant story, hence why I was curious as to why you posted it.  I still don't know why you posted it, and you're leaving me no choice but to assume you don't know why you posted it either.

boards of FL wrote:I don't contribute much?  You're saying this within a thread that you created in which you have been asked to simply communicate your beliefs on the very subject that you started.  That's it.  So far, you don't seem to be able to do that.  I've given you every chance to prove me wrong, but alas.  

(insert air of superiority)

Hmm.  It appears that I have asked you to explain your beliefs/conclusions/etc that you derive from an article like this that would lead to you to post it here.  So far, you don't seem to be able to do that.  Should you ever muster something more substantive than "It's the government, bra!  Like, it should be obvious what my point was, or something!", then I will happily stand corrected.

If someone where to ask me "Does PkrBum know anything about currency markets?", I would have to reply with "No", and I would link to this very thread as evidence to explain how I arrived at that conclusion.  And the person wouldn't have to ask me that same question four times to get a straight answer.  Just once.  

But, again, I could easily change my mind if you were to simply speak about the subject of the thread that you created in some form that is more substantive than a vague one liner.  

What does PkrBum conclude from an article like this?  We may never know.

Last edited by boards of FL on 5/21/2014, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corrected about what? Lol... why would I need to explain an article about currency to an economist?

If you have a specific question I guess I could try to help you... but if your looking for a primer you should start w google.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:If you have a specific question I guess I could try to help you...  but if your looking for a primer you should start w google.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:If you have a specific question I guess I could try to help you...  but if your looking for a primer you should start w google.

Why would an economist be interested in what a random internet dude thinks about currency? Do you have a point?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Why would an economist be interested in what a random internet dude thinks about currency? Do you have a point?

Why can't you simply explain the importance of the article that you posted? You're making it seem as if I'm asking you to take a test on the subject of neuroscience that is written in mandarin Chinese. In reality, I'm only asking you to state your opinion...on one article...that you posted.

I already said that this story doesn't seem that significant to me. I can't imagine why it would be significant to you either. Hence why I asked you to state whatever it is that you conclude from an article like this. I'm interested in understanding whatever importance you derive from this article that would lead you to share it here.

I read an article similar to this one about the time the fed began the qe... although it focused on the yen vs yuan:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/07/13/who-are-the-biggest-currency-manipulators/

My interest was mainly focused on the national role of central banks and the domestic effects of currency manipulation...

but it's interesting internationally too... atleast to me. Has economics evolved beyond trade and currency now?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum