Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When do we start making real cuts in the Defense Budget

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

2seaoat wrote:I would like to see the 25% cut over twenty years.   It would be steady and predictable.   We simply do not need to be carrying offensive wars to other places.  Our carrier groups are insane.   The problem is the next war will not be fought as the last war.  We need more research and development, certainly unmanned drones, and improved laser weapons, but the idea that our carrier groups could not be wiped out entirely by tactical nuclear weapons is absurd.  I am not the slightest bit worried about the other items in the budget until we get back in line with other nations in defense spending.  I do not think across the board is how cuts should be made.  We need a congress which will engage their brains and set priorities.  Right now the defense budget needs to be reduced.  Do we need bases in Germany, Italy, and South Korea?   It is time to talk about real deep cuts, but NOT quickly....planned, consistent, and long term.

I, for one, am extremely happy to be living in a country that dominates in defense spending.  I thought your OP was about the out of control budget, but it seems your issue is with parity in world defense spending.  What is it that is unpalatable about the US dominating? Hasn't that worked to our advantage many times in history?

Your stance on 25% reductions over twenty years amounts to a drop in the debt bucket.  Using your Wiki article, which states that the US spent $640 billion on defense in 2013, a reduction of 25% of $640B each year for twenty years amounts to slightly more than $3T.  That's not going to help much. But, it's true that it's a step in the right direction.  

I am more concerned with the out of control debt, which threatens to doom us all.  

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I, for one, am extremely happy to be living in a country that dominates in defense spending…..  I am more concerned with the out of control debt, which threatens to doom us all.

The biggest problem is that everyone wants to preserve their portion of Big Government, while cutting the other side’s down. It is all Big Government, and all of it has contributed to the large national debt. The best approach might be to slash government spending from all quadrants, to include defense, social programs, and corporate welfare programs. What may eventually happen is the system collapses, and then everything gets slashed all at once. There should be no sacred cows, and if it means a much leaner military, they will have to take their lumps along with all other programs.

Also, there is waste all over the DOD budget. I have seen it from both sides (as an active duty serviceman and as a contractor).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

The pentagon employes almost a million civilian contractors... what in the hell do they do that soldiers couldn't?

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I, for one, am extremely happy to be living in a country that dominates in defense spending…..  I am more concerned with the out of control debt, which threatens to doom us all.

The biggest problem is that everyone wants to preserve their portion of Big Government, while cutting the other side’s down. It is all Big Government, and all of it has contributed to the large national debt. The best approach might be to slash government spending from all quadrants, to include defense, social programs, and corporate welfare programs. What may eventually happen is the system collapses, and then everything gets slashed all at once. There should be no sacred cows, and if it means a much leaner military, they will have to take their lumps along with all other programs.

Also, there is waste all over the DOD budget. I have seen it from both sides (as an active duty serviceman and as a contractor).

Let's cut down welfare. That's where we can start.

PkrBum wrote:The pentagon employes almost a million civilian contractors... what in the hell do they do that soldiers couldn't?

They don't earn government retirements or require government to pay lifetime health care.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think we should take over the entire defense of the world. And do it with no-bid contracts because if we kill time waiting for the bids to happen then the muslims will overrun us. If we don't borrow trillions to have a big enough military to kill all those muslims then you peaceniks and appeasers will have a rude awakening when a million muslims land at Palafox Pier and start raping and pillaging and murdering us in our beds. We'll be helpless to stop them. They'll march north on their camels and then take Chumuckla and Jay and it's on to Monroeville and Montgomery and all points north. And Jesus will be thrown under the bus and Sharia Law will rule the land.

About the only thing good about this is when it happens the queers will all be rounded up and stoned to death. So it might just be worth it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum