Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you believe women have a biological mechanism to prevent them from getting pregnant if they are raped?

+5
Slicef18
Sal
TEOTWAWKI
PBulldog2
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

What say you?

Where in hell did that congressman get that idea anyway? I've never heard that.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:Where in hell did that congressman get that idea anyway? I've never heard that.

He's opposed to abortion even in the case of rape. So he came up with that as argument to support his case. His thinking is that since women have this "biological mechanism" then they won't get pregnant as a result of a rape anyway so they don't need the right to abortion.

Did you know Paul Ryan is also opposed to abortion even in the case of rape, Eric?...

"A Romney-Ryan campaign official, speaking on condition of not being identified, confirmed to CNN that Ryan's personal view opposes abortion in the case of rape."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/politics/campaign-wrap/index.html

Since Ryan is a staunch Catholic is that that also the position of the Catholic heirarchy that a rape victim who is made pregnant should be prevented from having an abortion.

Oh hell yeah it must be true since a Republican congressman says it is! We all know that the Republicans never ever lie and neither do the Democrats.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That congressman's name is Todd Akin.

Paul Ryan and Todd Akin Partnered On Radical ‘Personhood’ Bill Outlawing Abortion And Many Birth Control Pills

The bill declares that a human egg obtains “all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood” the moment it merges with a human sperm. Thus, a Blastocyst-American would not only enjoy the same constitutional status as a fully grown adult, it would also enjoy any “legal” attributes enjoyed by adults. Because every states’ law makes it a crime to kill a human adult, the likely effect of Ryan and Akin’s personhood bill would be to treat killing a fertilized egg as the same thing as homicide.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/20/712501/paul-ryan-and-todd-akin-partnered-on-radical-personhood-bill-outlawing-abortion-and-many-birth-control-pills/?mobile=nc

That would outlaw abortion for rape victims or anyone else under any circumstances and at any stage of pregnancy.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The bill states that "the right to life guaranteed by the Constitution is vested in each human being" and then defines a fertililzed egg to be a "human being".

I remember all the times conservatives have argued that "there is no separation of church and state" because the words "separation of church and state" are not found in the Constitution.

With that in mind, I'm trying to understand where exactly the Constitution states that "a fertilized egg is a human being with all the rights of a human being"?

I guess the conservatives Akin and Ryan believe that it's only appropriate to make up stuff about what the Constitution says when that stuff is 'conservative'. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There's something even more depressing about all this for me than these congressmen advocating something like this OR even the fact that one of these congressman is the Vice Presidential nominee.

And it's that I feel pretty certain that many of the posters here who think of themselves as republicans and conservatives do not share this view of these republican congressmen. But so far none of our conservative posters have replied to this thread. Which tells me they just can never bring themselves to say anything against what the political celebrities say is conservative.

I find exactly the same thing happens when some liberal democrat political celebrity tells our liberal democrat posters what it is to be liberal and democrat. Even when they don't agree with it they have a tendency to not take issue with that either.

I think it's time to emphasize this English word that Teo likes to use because it applies in spades to all this...

Sheeple

As unpopular as it may seem, and obviously ridiculous as it may seem to you, Bob, I am against all abortion.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:As unpopular as it may seem, and obviously ridiculous as it may seem to you, Bob, I am against all abortion.

One question.
If your mother or wife or daughter was the victim of a violent rape, would want your loved one to be legally forced to give birth to the rapist's child? What if your loved one (your elderly mother or your wife or your daughter) was adamant that she did not want to be forced to give birth to the rapist's baby? Would you still want that decision to be taken away from your loved one herself and that decision be given over to politicians who made the law?

Last edited by Bob on 8/21/2012, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

No. Nada. Akin is an idiot - not for his beliefs, but for his non-mastery of simple biology.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote: I am against all abortion.
Even when the life of the mother is in jeopardy? Even then?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PBulldog2 wrote:No. Nada. Akin is an idiot - not for his beliefs, but for his non-mastery of simple biology.
What about his and Ryan's "parenthood" bill outlined in my earlier post?

The only time I am not against abortion is in cases of rape and incest. On election day this is a complete non issue for me, I could careless what someones stance on abortion is.

I stated my belief. There are no exceptions.

Now, the life of the mother is a compelling argument, but I hold fast in my belief.

Should my beliefs be forced upon those that don't feel that way? No

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I wonder if god knew this world would get this complicated ? So-called modern medicine has given us many quandaries.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Yomama wrote:Where in hell did that congressman get that idea anyway? I've never heard that.

He's opposed to abortion even in the case of rape. So he came up with that as argument to support his case. His thinking is that since women have this "biological mechanism" then they won't get pregnant as a result of a rape anyway so they don't need the right to abortion.

Did you know Paul Ryan is also opposed to abortion even in the case of rape, Eric?...

"A Romney-Ryan campaign official, speaking on condition of not being identified, confirmed to CNN that Ryan's personal view opposes abortion in the case of rape."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/politics/campaign-wrap/index.html

Since Ryan is a staunch Catholic is that that also the position of the Catholic heirarchy that a rape victim who is made pregnant should be prevented from having an abortion.

This isn't some extreme position relegated to the fringe elements of the party. This is an official and longstanding plank of the GOP platform, the latest iteration of which will be unveiled shortly at the RNC in Tampa.

Sal

Sal

Yomama wrote:

So, I take it that you do not believe it should be illegal. I feel the same way about adultery.

Slicef18

Slicef18

(A)That ranks right up there with the belief:
Men have the ability to voluntarily ejaculate only sperm that is sterile and cannot cause pregnancy.

(B)That ranks right up there with the belief:
Both the Republicans and Democrats have the ability to balance our federal budget within thirty days.

salinsky wrote:
Yomama wrote:

So, I take it that you do not believe it should be illegal. I feel the same way about adultery.

Adultery is still illegal in some states though it is very seldom prosecuted, it is illegal nevertheless. In the military it is punishable under the Articles of the UCMJ.

Nekochan

Nekochan

No, I don't believe that women have a biological mechanism like that. The man is an idiot but I hope he does the right thing by stepping down.

What I find funny is the democrats helped his election campaign.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/democrats-spent-1.5-mil-to-help-akin-win-gop-primary/article/2505373#.UDOrobSea71

salinsky wrote:So, I take it that you do not believe it should be illegal. I feel the same way about adultery.

I don't think abortions are right. I'm trying to put aside my religious beliefs because government shouldn't be in the business of enforcing religious standards. But it is a moral standard that I support... a standard of not killing another human being.

The more I think about it, I AM against legal abortion. But if society decides it is acceptable, I will not break the law to do something stupid like bomb an abortion clinic. I will vote my conscience at the ballot box.

I don't believe in government-sponsored abortions. I certainly don't think I should be forced to subsidize health insurance that uses a portion of my money to provide abortions to others.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Yomama wrote:
salinsky wrote:So, I take it that you do not believe it should be illegal. I feel the same way about adultery.

I don't think abortions are right. I'm trying to put aside my religious beliefs because government shouldn't be in the business of enforcing religious standards. But it is a moral standard that I support... a standard of not killing another human being.

The more I think about it, I AM against legal abortion. But if society decides it is acceptable, I will not break the law to do something stupid like bomb an abortion clinic. I will vote my conscience at the ballot box.

I don't believe in government-sponsored abortions. I certainly don't think I should be forced to subsidize health insurance that uses a portion of my money to provide abortions to others.

If you're "voting your conscience at the ballot box", isn't that the same as saying you're bringing your religious beliefs to bear? Let's be perfectly clear; the Republicans have a history of using the abortion issue as a wedge to capture the extreme right-wing "Christian" vote, and it's rarely been more clear than in this election year.

I am also personally opposed to abortion, but with exceptions. Each case is different; rape, incest and medical necessity all weigh in the decision, and it's a monumental decision with lasting consequences. If you oppose paying for abortion in the above cases, what you're really saying is that it's available as a last resort only to those who can afford to pay for it. This places an undue burden on women, because pregnancy and all the attendant complications thereof are without a doubt a woman's burden. I truly resent the politicization of this issue. Like it or not, women and their doctors need to be able to make these decisions on a case by case basis because pregnancy is a part of a woman's total health care. That's just the way things are. The laws are there out of necessity, because in the past the woman suffered all the consequences whether or not she was a victim or whether she was in danger of losing her life.

if nothing else... this should illustrate why using the govt to mandate healthcare or any other private decision is flawed. sooner or later there will be arbitrary edicts that you disagree with but no longer have the power to control.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum