Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Storm damage could be as much as 400 million dollars

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

So the rumor goes.  Might not be far off.  Lets see.  Whats your guess?

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 5/3/2014, 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

The biggest damage which is very difficult to assess is the total destruction of the myth that the Panhandle may be a safe place for Babyboomers to retire. I know people who are selling and moving to rural KY TN, and North Carolina where the cost of living is reasonable, and the fear of natural disasters are much less than the Panhandle. I think the shine has been off that apple for the last decade, and the severity of these weather patterns is something I have never experienced in my life. As demand for housing diminishes, many of the tourists who have been coming to the panhandle to scout retirement are going to be taking vacations to the above mentioned states. TN around Nashville is simply booming, and yes they have tornado activity, but nothing like what Florida is experiencing with floods, hurricanes, and tornado activity which has been a constant. NW Florida may soon become Forgotonia.

2seaoat wrote:The biggest damage which is very difficult to assess is the total destruction of the myth that the Panhandle may be a safe place for Babyboomers to retire.  I know people who are selling and moving to rural KY TN, and North Carolina where the cost of living is reasonable, and the fear of natural disasters are much less than the Panhandle.   I think the shine has been off that apple for the last decade, and the severity of these weather patterns is something I have never experienced in my life.  As demand for housing diminishes, many of the tourists who have been coming to the panhandle to scout retirement are going to be taking vacations to the above mentioned states.  TN around Nashville is simply booming, and yes they have tornado activity, but nothing like what Florida is experiencing with floods, hurricanes, and tornado activity which has been a constant.  NW Florida may soon become Forgotonia.

I can only hope they hurry. Maybe Studer and his gang of merry men will join them. It will be a great day when 1/2 or more, if we are lucky,of these ass holes leave. Hows that for being Politically Correct. LOL

So how did the ball park hold up Ichi?

Have not been downtown yet,  But I am sure it did well.  I am also positive it would be on the news if something washed out.   Not so sure about City Hall across the street.   King Studers Building is very very close to the edge of the retention pond.  I would be interested to see if any of that washed away.  I will head that way in  a day or so, as soon I quit playing around here.  Lots to see and do Smile

I want to walk this pipe to the other side. Sunday Morning might be a good time. Maybe no one will be on site. I dont know , just an idea.
Storm damage could be as much as 400 million dollars 15n3r4m

All games for the Pensacola Men's Baseball League scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled as we work on repairs to the stadium. Please stay tuned here on Facebook for updates about rescheduling. Thank you!

Pensacola Blue Wahoos Thank you very much for the kind words, everyone. Kim Owens and Debbie Gosselin Casalina - we have sustained some damage at the stadium, but we'll be fine. Chris Manno Sr - thank you for your support and offer to help. We certainly appreciate it, and especially appreciate your kind words about the folks of Pensacola. Thank you!

dumpcare

I'll guess at over a billion. Also weartv fb page either yesterday or Wednesday had pics from the air of the ballpark and the area around it and it looked severely flooded.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:The biggest damage which is very difficult to assess is the total destruction of the myth that the Panhandle may be a safe place for Babyboomers to retire.  I know people who are selling and moving to rural KY TN, and North Carolina where the cost of living is reasonable, and the fear of natural disasters are much less than the Panhandle.   I think the shine has been off that apple for the last decade, and the severity of these weather patterns is something I have never experienced in my life.  As demand for housing diminishes, many of the tourists who have been coming to the panhandle to scout retirement are going to be taking vacations to the above mentioned states.  TN around Nashville is simply booming, and yes they have tornado activity, but nothing like what Florida is experiencing with floods, hurricanes, and tornado activity which has been a constant.  NW Florida may soon become Forgotonia.

Do you have some evidence that we're going to have more big flood events any time soon?

And we haven't had a hurricane in ten years.  That's better than average for us with or without and before or after climate change.

And what is the "tornado activity" in Florida (and particularly Pensacola) which is "now constant"?  I'm not aware of that.

Last edited by Bob on 5/2/2014, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: I know people who are selling and moving to rural KY TN, and North Carolina where the cost of living is reasonable, and the fear of natural disasters are much less than the Panhandle.  

Cape Hatteras NC ranks number 1 in tropical cyclone strikes.
Pensacola ranks 38th.

2seaoat

People are going to inland retirement locations and away from the water. My evidence is pretty simple. One quarter of all the homeowner insurance claims since the 1920s have originated from Florida. This was openly discussed when insurance companies ran from the state of Florida, and you can bet NOT ONE insurance company ran from KY, TN, or NC.....the people I have heard from are looking for mountains, inland lakes and rivers and natural beauty.....they are sick of Florida. My beloved neighbor who I would sit and drink beer and talk about the world was a pilot who had enough after Ivan and has moved to NC. My other neighbor is trying to sell his house and plans to move to a lake in KY. Both of them shared one common denominator......they simply had gotten too old to deal with the chit, and the risk that more was coming. Both had four feet of water with Ivan, and less with Dennis, but enough to turn them sour on the realities that a great place to visit for a couple weeks or months may not be a place for an older person to spend his final years when they are frail and vulnerable.

2seaoat

Cape Hatteras NC ranks number 1 in tropical cyclone strikes.
Pensacola ranks 38th.

The people I have been talking with would want to go move to NC and be near the ocean like they would want a bullet hole in their head......they have had it with hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

A lot of those homes that had major flooding from the rains are located in Flood Zone X, and likely did not have flood insurance. I live in a Flood Zone X location, but I still carry flood insurance.

When we moved here in 1990, I watched how heavy rains pooled water almost to the top of the footers of our foundation. I mitigated this through shaping and landscaping, but bought flood insurance in case heavy rainfall ever caused the runoff to seep into our house. It never has, and the premium for my 2014 renewal is $414, but I am taking no chances. Carpets are being ripped out of homes within a couple of blocks from where we live from flood damage caused by Tuesday's rain.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat wrote:People are going to inland retirement locations and away from the water.  My evidence is pretty simple.  One quarter of all the homeowner insurance claims since the 1920s have originated from Florida.   This was openly discussed when insurance companies ran from the state of Florida, and you can bet NOT ONE insurance company ran from KY, TN, or NC.....the people I have heard from are looking for mountains, inland lakes and rivers and natural beauty.....they are sick of Florida.  My beloved neighbor who I would sit and drink beer and talk about the world was a pilot who had enough after Ivan and has moved to NC.  My other neighbor is trying to sell his house and plans to move to a lake in KY.   Both of them shared one common denominator......they simply had gotten too old to deal with the chit, and the risk that more was coming.  Both had four feet of water with Ivan, and less with Dennis, but enough to turn them sour on the realities that a great place to visit for a couple weeks or months may not be a place for an older person to spend his final years when they are frail and vulnerable.

They are sick of Florida

I live here.  I was born here.  My family settled in south Florida in the late 1800s.  My Grandparents and my parents are buried over looking Escambia bay.  They never thought of running away or choosing to live where life was "Easier"   They were smart enough not build in a swamp or low lying areas.  Their houses, like mine, are off grade.  My Grandfather had a 8th grade education but even he, knew the simple things about Florida living. I am damn proud to be a Floridian.
I sometimes really get pissed with constant whining about our /My area.  

This is great "They simply had gotten too old to deal with the chit, and the risk that more was coming."   Good luck with that.  But I guess when you value money and ego inflating structures more than the simple beauty of the area, you would think like that.  Even crap like this rain event is and awesome thing to experience.  We learn from such events, but when we try to share this knowledge with others we are often met with "Gee, This guy has a "inferiority complex, he says it is not a good idea to build here" as he points to property that only a few years before was under 2 feet of water.

I hope many of the people who have chosen to live here, stay here, they are my friends.  I will do everything I can to share what I know and assist them in enjoying the beauty of this place.  It is for everyone, not just the lucky few who were born here.
But to those who choose to degrade and mock my life style, I can only hope they hasten their departure.  We will be better off with out them..

You tell em hallmark... the gulf coast will always be in my blood... from Texas to Florida. Good riddance losers.

If I had my choice I would be out of this godforsaken place. I am sick of the high insurance, hurricanes, floods, lack of employment and republicans. If my children would leave I'd be gone!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just came in from downtown.  I witnessed the best live music I have ever seen in my life.  That includes all the concerts I've seen recently and all the live music I've taken in while traveling in other parts of the country for the last four years.
Pensacola is the farthest east you can see this artist because his tour schedule doesn't take him any farther.
It was at Bartram Park.  To get there,  you park about 3 blocks away and walk through a beautiful historic district.  Then through one of the greatest victorian era city parks I've ever found.  Anywhere.  Walk right by one of the Panton houses.
It was built in the 18th Century and it has been preserved in it's original condition.   Ancient and crude with a roofline that you only see in our town.

Do you know that name Panton?  If you want to know anything about the real history of our country you should.
Outside of Tristan de Luna himself,  Panton Leslie and Company is the most significant contribution our town has made to American history.  It was one of the original outfits to do commerce with the native americans in a big way.  You could say it's among the first examples of corporate america.   Right here.

But what is so fucking amazing about our town is how you can see and experience all this in such a laid back way.  Not the crowds in larger places.  Not the traffic in larger places.  But just big enough for goldilocks to say it's "just right".
And tonight,  after the flood,  you just cannot imagine how absolutely perfect it was to be outside.  Perfect temperature.  Low humidity.  Hawaii eat your heart out.

I aint goin nowhere.

My house is not worth much.  My street has issues.  But  3 blocks away is a great park with Picnic tables, BBQ Grills, a Children's play ground and a nice pier that goes out into the bayou.  I can walk or ride my bike and enjoy nature or just sit and see what is happening on the bayou.  Like Bob...I aint going anywhere..

Storm damage could be as much as 400 million dollars Eqqs6p

Even in High water it is nice
Storm damage could be as much as 400 million dollars Eupva0

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:My house is not worth much.

Mine neither,  Ichi.  And I like it that way.  Makes for lower property taxes.  lol

2seaoat

You tell em hallmark... the gulf coast will always be in my blood... from Texas to Florida. Good riddance losers.

HMMMMMM I must say you are strikingly consistent.......how are you enjoying your place in Michigan.

2seaoat wrote:You tell em hallmark... the gulf coast will always be in my blood... from Texas to Florida. Good riddance losers.

HMMMMMM I must say you are strikingly consistent.......how are you enjoying your place in Michigan.

A great deal... I've almost cleaned up from winter. Nothing is green yet... the ice just melted on the lake two weeks ago. The loons have paired up and we have bald eagles nesting across the lake. I'll be a little late visiting FL this summer... such is life.

Mr Ichi wrote:
2seaoat wrote:People are going to inland retirement locations and away from the water.  My evidence is pretty simple.  One quarter of all the homeowner insurance claims since the 1920s have originated from Florida.   This was openly discussed when insurance companies ran from the state of Florida, and you can bet NOT ONE insurance company ran from KY, TN, or NC.....the people I have heard from are looking for mountains, inland lakes and rivers and natural beauty.....they are sick of Florida.  My beloved neighbor who I would sit and drink beer and talk about the world was a pilot who had enough after Ivan and has moved to NC.  My other neighbor is trying to sell his house and plans to move to a lake in KY.   Both of them shared one common denominator......they simply had gotten too old to deal with the chit, and the risk that more was coming.  Both had four feet of water with Ivan, and less with Dennis, but enough to turn them sour on the realities that a great place to visit for a couple weeks or months may not be a place for an older person to spend his final years when they are frail and vulnerable.

They are sick of Florida

I live here.  I was born here.  My family settled in south Florida in the late 1800s.  My Grandparents and my parents are buried over looking Escambia bay.  They never thought of running away or choosing to live where life was "Easier"   They were smart enough not build in a swamp or low lying areas.  Their houses, like mine, are off grade.  My Grandfather had a 8th grade education but even he, knew the simple things about Florida living. I am damn proud to be a Floridian.
I sometimes really get pissed with constant whining about our /My area.  

This is great "They simply had gotten too old to deal with the chit, and the risk that more was coming."   Good luck with that.  But I guess when you value money and ego inflating structures more than the simple beauty of the area, you would think like that.  Even crap like this rain event is and awesome thing to experience.  We learn from such events, but when we try to share this knowledge with others we are often met with "Gee, This guy has a "inferiority complex, he says it is not a good idea to build here" as he points to property that only a few years before was under 2 feet of water.

I hope many of the people who have chosen to live here, stay here, they are my friends.  I will do everything I can to share what I know and assist them in enjoying the beauty of this place.  It is for everyone, not just the lucky few who were born here.
But to those who choose to degrade and mock my life style, I can only hope they hasten their departure.  We will be better off with out them..

cheers cheers cheers 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum