Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know.

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This crazy fool...

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Bruce%20Glover%20playing%20Mr%20Wint

is the father of this crazy fool...

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Original

That's Bruce Glover as Mr. Wint in the James Bond movie "Diamonds are Forever".
And Crispin Glover as George McFly in "Back to the Future".

polecat

polecat

not to change the subject Bob but have you seen ''The Grand Budapest Hotel''

It's a old fashioned screwball comedy I think you will like.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

polecat wrote:not to change the subject Bob but have you seen ''The Grand Budapest Hotel''

Haven't seen it but it's a title on my to see list, polecat. Thanks for the tip.

boards of FL

boards of FL

polecat wrote:not to change the subject Bob but have you seen ''The Grand Budapest Hotel''

Enjoyed Moonlight Kingdom. Haven't seen this one yet though.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's a tip for both of you.  Philomena.  I just finished it and it's one of the most compelling and moving stories I've seen in any recent movie.

boards of FL

boards of FL

I've heard nothing but high praise for that movie. That said, I have a tendency to judge movies by their film posters, and that one just doesn't look like my type of movie.

It's on my list, but I have other things to get through before I get to that one.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:I've heard nothing but high praise for that movie.  That said, I have a tendency to judge movies by their film posters, and that one just doesn't look like my type of movie.

It's on my list, but I have other things to get through before I get to that one.

Find a movie poster with google images which would indicate to you that it's your kind of movie and post it and that will help me understand this comment.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here are the posters you're referring to...

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Philom10

This movie is a portrayal of a true story about a practice of catholic nuns ruining the lives of girls that is as equally as horrific as the priests raping the boys.  A story that I had no knowledge of before seeing the movie.

These posters give absolutely no indication of what this movie is about,  how good it is,  what it's theme is or anything whatever about this movie.
If all I had to go on were these posters,  I would have never watched this movie so I'm glad I had not seen them.  
In this case,  using movie posters as a guide to deciding whether to see a film or not would be the worst thing one could do.

Last edited by Bob on 4/17/2014, 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

boards of FL

boards of FL

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFgohoCnZA-JX-dlhK1D7_Nui84Yj0T0xZmLILvGigzn5xpgL5

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFgohoCnZA-JX-dlhK1D7_Nui84Yj0T0xZmLILvGigzn5xpgL5

When I compare this poster with the Philomena posters, the thing that sticks out to me more than the poster artwork is the difference in the movie titles.
The title "Wolf of Wall Street" gives us a very good idea about what to expect with the movie. The title "Philomena" tells us nothing.

Of course which actor(s) is in the cast is another thing we go by. And our individual take on that is subjective.
I'm not particularly a fan of Di Capprio even though many moviegoers are (as you may well be).
However, I think Judi Dench is a wonderful actress so that would be a plus for me.

But the bottom line with all this is "you can't judge a book by it's cover" and you can't judge a movie by it's poster.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Agreed. I'm not trying to justify the practice. Just pointing out the fact that I fall prey to it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And we shouldn't overlook that each poster informs us of who the filmmaker is.
And a Martin Scorcese film will always be a movie I would see so that would be an influence.

It should be pointed out though that both of these movies were nominated for Best Picture (Oscars).  And that would also influence my choice of movies.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Agreed.  I'm not trying to justify the practice.  Just pointing out the fact that I fall prey to it.

Gotcha and I understand. I've been misled by movie posters too.

But this one time just go by me and take my word for it because I know your mind and I'm very confident you will be glad you took the time to see "Philomena". Especially when it's right now only $1.29 at Redbox. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Unless of course you're watching free torrent downloads which is even better.
But I don't have the patience to go through all that when the DVD is only $1.29  lol

2seaoat

You got me thinking about movie posters and the first movie as a child that I realized was special....The bridge over the River Kwai....which was a 1957 film. Well I saw some posters, and one struck me as particularly odd. It had the date 1958 on the poster, but then it had language about the same makers of Lawrence of Arabia......that movie was made in 1962.......this is flat out bizarre.....I feel like I just entered the twilight zone.

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai-1958-Posters_i6285830_.htm

Sal

Sal

Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Blade_runner-poster-681x1024

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:You got me thinking about movie posters and the first movie as a child that I realized was special....The bridge over the River Kwai....which was a 1957 film.  Well I saw some posters, and one struck me as particularly odd.  It had the date 1958 on the poster, but then it had language about the same makers of Lawrence of Arabia......that movie was made in 1962.......this is flat out bizarre.....I feel like I just entered the twilight zone.

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai-1958-Posters_i6285830_.htm

Bridge on the River Kwai was a Christmas movie released to theaters on December 14,  1957 so it was so close to 1958 that would probably explain the poster technically not providing the year accurately.

"From the makers of Lawrence of Arabia" on the 62 poster tells us this poster was produced for a re-release of "Bridge" to capitalize on David Lean's enormous box office success with Lawrence of Arabia.  Which is just movie marketing.

Last edited by Bob on 4/17/2014, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Weirdo movie trivia you didn't know. Blade_runner-poster-681x1024

That's a great movie poster art-wise. And it represents one of the best sci-flicks ever made.
BUT, a poster could be a beautiful work of art like that one and the movie suck big hairy ones because there are a great many examples of that happening.

I have several hundred movie posters and some of the most attractive ones of all were made for some of the most mediocre nothing movies you could ever imagine.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But there again,  with the Blade Runner poster all I need to know is the name of the filmmaker on that poster and that would clinch it for me.
Although he did finally make a dog with that prequel to "Alien" which I now cannot even remember the movie's title.  lol

2seaoat

That makes sense on a release after 1962, and I suppose the 1958 is simply a reference to the original, and prior to videos, the release five or so years after the original was a great revenue flow. I remember seeing gone with the wind in a release in the mid sixties.....it was a big deal.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:That makes sense on a release after 1962, and I suppose the 1958 is simply a reference to the original, and prior to videos, the release five or so years after the original was a great revenue flow.  I remember seeing gone with the wind in a release in the mid sixties.....it was a big deal.

Same thing can happen with actors. An actor's early film can be overlooked by ticket buyers since the actor wasn't known.
But if and when that actor later becomes a box-office superstar, his earlier movie would be re-released with movie posters which promote that.

2seaoat

I remember the popularity of a batman series on TV in the mid sixties when they decided to release the batman movie.....it was an older hokey version and the kids were booing and leaving the theater.....but they made a lot of money on that release of a B movie nobody went to.......and lots of money until the word got out that it was not the Batman on TV.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This very thing you introduced to the discussion is all important in movie poster collecting, seaoat (I'm not one I just accidentally got Wally Yost's posters cheap to re-sell).

When a poster collector is interested in a purchase,  the first thing he wants to know is when the poster was produced.   Before videocassettes were introduced,  it wasn't uncommon to see movies be re-released again in theaters a half-dozen times.  And a poster could be and usually was produced for each subsequent release.
And then when videocassetes came on the scene,  you had different posters for the videocassette release than you did for the theatrical release.

Sometimes,  the later poster is identical or close to identical to the original poster.  And the earlier the poster was made almost always determines the value of the poster.  Sometimes the difference in value is enormous.  That is especially true of the posters for the 50's sci-fi and horror flicks.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:But there again,  with the Blade Runner poster all I need to know is the name of the filmmaker on that poster and that would clinch it for me.
Although he did finally make a dog with that prequel to "Alien" which I now cannot even remember the movie's title.  lol

Prometheus. 

I think you gave it a thumbs up. 

Blade Runner is in my top five movies of all time. 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Prometheus. 

I think you gave it a thumbs up. 

You thought wrong.  I never said anything good about that movie.
What I did say was I dozed through a lot of it.  lol

But to be fair,  I loved both Ridley Scott's Alien and James Cameron's sequel to it Aliens so much that my expectations were too high when I learned Scott was making the prequel to that movie franchise.  
If those movies had never been made I probably would have not disliked it so much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum