Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why are the republicans making it harder to vote?

+5
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
knothead
Markle
Wordslinger
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

voter ID does not disenfranchise poor blacks as the left claims. If having a ID to vote is somehow a disadvantage for poor people, then whites would be the ones at a disadvantage.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

If the government would provide free ID with easy documentary evidence (they could furnish Birth Certificates when necessary) nobody would be against voter ID requirements.

But you would never get the far right republicans to go for such a thing -- because IT ISN'T ABOUT MAKING SURE VOTES ARE PROPER, IT'S ABOUT RESTRICTING FOLKS WHO VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS.

Reality!

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:Pffft... ensuring a free and fair election process is one of the enumerated powers of govt. What I suggested was a govt program to provide those that lack the means or intellect to get an id or register to vote the means to do that.

Considering the basic needs that require an id... this appears to be a leftist construct more than any restriction.

I don't know anyone on the left who would oppose your suggestion. But I've no doubt whatsoever you will get no support from the T-party or the mainstream republican party either.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

colaguy wrote:I agree that limiting the time the polls are open seems to have no good reason.  But I do agree that proper ID is essential.  It’s nothing more than ensuring that the proper person gets access to the polls.  Similarly, we insist on proper ID to get a driver license and also many other benefits or privileges: social security, welfare, gun ownership…

Maybe it’s true that the intent of some of these Republicans is to limit who gets to vote.  But we have similar actions on the other side of the aisle too.  Isn’t Eric Holder spearheading efforts to restore voting rights to felons in all states?  This isn’t just for the felons’ benefit – it also would benefit the Democratic Party: a majority of convicts/felons vote Democrat.

Good post.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:If the government would provide free ID with easy documentary evidence (they could furnish Birth Certificates when necessary) nobody would be against voter ID requirements.

But you would never get the far right republicans to go for such a thing -- because IT ISN'T ABOUT MAKING SURE VOTES ARE PROPER, IT'S ABOUT RESTRICTING FOLKS WHO VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS.

Reality!

Reality? LOL.....

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:
colaguy wrote:I agree that limiting the time the polls are open seems to have no good reason.  But I do agree that proper ID is essential.  It’s nothing more than ensuring that the proper person gets access to the polls.  Similarly, we insist on proper ID to get a driver license and also many other benefits or privileges: social security, welfare, gun ownership…

Maybe it’s true that the intent of some of these Republicans is to limit who gets to vote.  But we have similar actions on the other side of the aisle too.  Isn’t Eric Holder spearheading efforts to restore voting rights to felons in all states?  This isn’t just for the felons’ benefit – it also would benefit the Democratic Party: a majority of convicts/felons vote Democrat.

Good post.

Cola guy omitted mentioning that a large majority of convicted felons are Black. No wonder they'd vote democrat!

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The arguments on this thread are more than perplexing. Republicans argue there's a real need to make sure votes are proper. But several republican leaders at state level brag about how they've crafted laws to cut Hispanic and African-American votes.

If it was made easy for all citizens to obtain necessary ID for voting, I'd be for it. I'd also be for making it a federal crime to propose or attempt to enact voting restriction laws aimed at any political, racial or religious group.

Am I the only real American here?

Wordslinger wrote:The arguments on this thread are more than perplexing.  Republicans argue there's a real need to make sure votes are proper.  But several republican leaders at state level brag about how they've crafted laws to cut Hispanic and African-American votes.

If it was made easy for all citizens to obtain necessary ID for voting, I'd be for it.  I'd also be for making it a federal crime to propose or attempt to enact voting restriction laws aimed at any political, racial or religious group.

Can you tell us how many American CITIZENS don't have ID?

And if so, can you tell us how these people are living in this country? are they crooks/thieves?

And will they be able to sign up for obamacare without a ID? this could be a problem if there are so many of them LOL

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Karma wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:The arguments on this thread are more than perplexing.  Republicans argue there's a real need to make sure votes are proper.  But several republican leaders at state level brag about how they've crafted laws to cut Hispanic and African-American votes.

If it was made easy for all citizens to obtain necessary ID for voting, I'd be for it.  I'd also be for making it a federal crime to propose or attempt to enact voting restriction laws aimed at any political, racial or religious group.

And if so, can you tell us how these people are living in this country? are they crooks/thieves? A few are elderly people who don't drive and who, incidentally, have been regular voters most of their adult lives. I guess you'd like to see these people barred from the voting booth, right?

And will they be able to sign up for obamacare without a ID? this could be a problem if there are so many of them LOL

Google it yourself -- you'll find there are thousands of American citizens who don't have driver's licenses, and that many of the requirements of the newly enacted state voter ID laws require documentation that's expensive and hard to get.

Obamacare doesn't require a driver's license to qualify.

Are you really unable to read about subjects you like to blab about?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger makes it sound like everyone that votes must have a drivers license. Silly boy.

Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Good post.

Cola guy omitted mentioning that a large majority of convicted felons are Black.  No wonder they'd vote democrat!

Most who keep up with current events already know that the U.S. prison population is disproportionately Black. The Democratic Party knows this too.  Do you think the Democratic Party would’ve taken on the issue of felons’ rights restoration had the majority of felons not been traditionally Democrat voters?  

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:Wordslinger makes it sound like everyone that votes must have a drivers license.  Silly boy.

Then correct me Joani. It's my understanding a valid driver's license is required among other documents to register to vote -- this in many states that are pushing voter ID registration.

Fill us in with your facts ...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Wordslinger makes it sound like everyone that votes must have a drivers license.  Silly boy.

Then correct me Joani.  It's my understanding a valid driver's license is required among other documents to register to vote -- this in many states that are pushing voter ID registration.

Fill us in with your facts ...

Picture ID. Not everyone drives.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

I would rather see groups helping people obtain picture identification and assist felons with getting their civil rights restored, than I would the lack of proof of identification at the polls. Helping people in these two areas would actually help the people, not just help the political parties win elections.

Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:

And if so, can you tell us how these people are living in this country? are they crooks/thieves? A few are elderly people who don't drive and who, incidentally, have been regular voters most of their adult lives.  I guess you'd like to see these people barred from the voting booth, right?

Google it yourself -- you'll find there are thousands of American citizens who don't have driver's licenses, and that many of the requirements of the newly enacted state voter ID laws require documentation that's expensive and hard to get.

You have to present a ID when getting treatment or services from a healthcare facility when using your insurance. I know this for a FACT.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Karma wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:

And if so, can you tell us how these people are living in this country? are they crooks/thieves? A few are elderly people who don't drive and who, incidentally, have been regular voters most of their adult lives.  I guess you'd like to see these people barred from the voting booth, right?

You have to present a ID when getting treatment or services from a healthcare facility when using your insurance. I know this for a FACT.

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the ass.

There are people who were born at home in rural communities who have no birth certificate and no driver's license either. Yet they can sign up for Obamacare -- law doesn't permit someone to be disqualified because they don't have a birth certificate or driver's license. Some of these same people have voted for 30 or more years and now they're facing what may be insurmountable hurdles in order to register under the new systems put in place to deny people who most likely would vote for democrats.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:

There are people who were born at home in rural communities who have no birth certificate and no driver's license either.  Yet they can sign up for Obamacare -- law doesn't permit someone to be disqualified because they don't have a birth certificate or driver's license.   Some of these same people have voted for 30 or more years and now they're facing what may be insurmountable hurdles in order to register under the new systems put in place to deny people who most likely would vote for democrats.  

We are not talking about drivers license or birth certificates.....Picture ID, get it? There are many places they can obtain a free picture ID and it includes people born at home.

Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:

There are people who were born at home in rural communities who have no birth certificate and no driver's license either.  Yet they can sign up for Obamacare -- law doesn't permit someone to be disqualified because they don't have a birth certificate or driver's license.   Some of these same people have voted for 30 or more years and now they're facing what may be insurmountable hurdles in order to register under the new systems put in place to deny people who most likely would vote for democrats.  

you are ignorant. go in and try to use your insurance without a picture ID, cant. or anyone could just use anyone's.

Hell, many hospitals are going to a system to where you cant even go visit a patient without presenting a picture ID and getting a PHOTO taken of you and a badge made. They do this at the front door, before you enter the hospital. come in out of the dark ages and get real.

and NO, you can not get obamacare without identification, its just insurance you know, either private or gov run Medicaid. http://www.health.ny.gov/forms/doh-4220b.pdf
 Rolling Eyes 

Markle

Markle

Why are the republicans making it harder to vote? - Page 2 VoterIDLaws_zps004de653

Karma wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Karma wrote:

you are ignorant. go in and try to use your insurance without a picture ID, cant. or anyone could just use anyone's.

Hell, many hospitals are going to a system to where you cant even go visit a patient without presenting a picture ID and getting a PHOTO taken of you and a badge made. They do this at the front door, before you enter the hospital. come in out of the dark ages and get real.

and NO, you can not get obamacare without identification, its just insurance you know, either private or gov run Medicaid. http://www.health.ny.gov/forms/doh-4220b.pdf
 Rolling Eyes 

I'm sorry word, did you have a problem responding to this FACT?

Guess you got bit in the ass huh LOL

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.gregpalast.com/the-great-florida-ex-con-gamernhow-the-felon-voter-purge-was-itself-felonious/

Friday, March 1, 2002
by Greg Palast for Harper's Magazine

In November the U.S. media, lost in patriotic reverie, dressed up the Florida recount as a victory for President Bush.
But however one reads the ballots, Bush's win would certainly have been jeopardized had not some Floridians been barred from casting ballots at all. Between May 1999 and Election Day 2000, two Florida secretaries of state - Sandra Mortham and Katherine Harris, both protegees of Governor Jeb Bush- ordered 57,700 "ex-felons," who are prohibited from voting by state law, to be removed from voter rolls. (In the thirty-five states where former felons can vote, roughly 90 percent vote Democratic.)

A portion of the list, which was compiled for Florida by DBT Online, can be seen for the first time here; DBT, a company now owned by ChoicePoint of Atlanta, was paid $4.3 million for its work, replacing a firm that charged $5,700 per year for the same service. If the hope was that DBT would enable Florida to exclude more voters, then the state appears to have spent its money wisely.

See the article with illustration in PDF

Two of these "scrub lists," as officials called them, were distributed to counties in the months before the election with orders to remove the voters named. Together the lists comprised nearly 1 percent of Florida?s electorate and nearly 3 percent of its African-American voters. Most of the voters (such as "David Butler," (1);  a name that appears 77 times in Florida phone books) were selected because their name, gender, birthdate and race matched - or nearly matched - one of the tens of millions of ex-felons in the United States.

Neither DBT nor the state conducted any further research to verify the matches. DBT, which frequently is hired by the F.B.I. to conduct manhunts, originally proposed using address histories and financial records to confirm the names, but the state declined the cross-checks.

In Harris?s elections office files, next to DBT?s sophisticated verification plan, there is a hand-written note: DON'T NEED.

Thomas Alvin Cooper (2), twenty-eight, was flagged because of a crime for which he will be convicted in the year 2007. According to Florida's elections division, this intrepid time-traveler will cover his tracks by moving to Ohio, adding a middle name, and changing his race. Harper's found 325 names on the list with conviction dates in the future, a fact that did not escape Department of Elections workers, who, in June 2000 emails headed, "Future Conviction Dates," termed the discovery, "bad news."

Rather than release this whacky data to skeptical counties, Janet Mudrow, state liaison to DBT, suggested that "blanks would be preferable in these cases." (Harper's counted 4,917 blank conviction dates.) The one county that checked each of the 694 names on its local list could verify only 34 as actual felony convicts. Some counties defied Harris' directives; Madison County's elections supervisor Linda Howell refused the purge list after she found her own name on it.

Rev. Willie Dixon (3), seventy, was guilty of a crime in his youth; but one phone call would have told the state that it had already pardoned Dixon and restored his right to vote. On behalf of Dixon and other excluded voters, the NAACP in January 2001 sued Florida and Harris, after finding that African-Americans–who account for 13 percent of Florida's electorate and 46 percent of U.S. felony convictions–were four times as likely as whites to be incorrectly singled out under the state's methodology. After the election, Harris and her elections chief Clay Roberts, testified under oath that verifying the lists was solely the work of county supervisors. But the Florida-DBT contract (marked "Secret" and "Confidential") holds DBT responsible for "manual verification using telephone calls."

In fact, with the state's blessing, DBT did not call a single felon. When I asked Roberts about the contract during an interview for BBC television, Roberts ripped off his microphone, ran into his office, locked the door, and called in state troopers to remove us.

Johnny Jackson Jr. (4), thirty-two, has never been to Texas, and his mother swears he never had the middle name "Fitzgerald." Neither is there evidence that John Fitzgerald Jackson, felon of Texas, has ever left the Lone Star State. But even if they were the same man, removing him from Florida?s voter rolls is an unconstitutional act. Texas is among the thirty five states where ex-felons are permitted to vote, and the "full faith and credit" clause of the U.S. Constitution forbids states to revoke any civil rights that a citizen has been granted by another state; in fact, the Florida Supreme Court had twice ordered the state not to do so, just nine months before the voter purge. Nevertheless, at least 2,873 voters were wrongly removed, a purge authorized by a September 18, 2000 letter to counties from Governor Bush's clemency office. On February 23, 2001, days after the U.S. Commission of Civil Rights began investigating the matters, Bush's office issued a new letter allowing these persons to vote; no copies of the earlier letter could be found in the clemency office or on its computers.

Wallace McDonald (5), sixty-four, lost his right to vote in 2000, though his sole run-in with the law was a misdemeanor in 1959. (He fell asleep on a bus-stop bench.) Of the "matches' on these lists, the civil-rights commission estimated that at least 14 percent - or 8,000 voters, nearly 15 times Bush's official margin of victory - were false. DBT claims it warned officials "a significant number of people who were not a felon would be included on the list"; but the state, the company now says, "wanted there to be more names than were actually verified." Last May, Florida's legislature barred Harris from using outside firms to build the purge list and ordered her to seek guidance from county elections officials. In defiance, Harris has rebuffed the counties and hired another firm, just in time for Jeb Bush's reelection fight this fall.

-------------------

polecat

polecat

Why are republicans making it harder to vote...
They are running out of old white people to scare.

polecat wrote:Why are republicans making it harder to vote...

yes white people are going the way of the coo coo bird, but more than that its because we are running out of people not on welfare.

knothead

knothead

crow wrote:
polecat wrote:Why are republicans making it harder to vote...

yes white people are going the way of the coo coo bird, but more than that its because we are running out of people not on welfare.

No Chrissy you are running out of people who have IQ's above 70 . . .

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:http://www.gregpalast.com/the-great-florida-ex-con-gamernhow-the-felon-voter-purge-was-itself-felonious/

Friday, March 1, 2002
by Greg Palast for Harper's Magazine

In defiance, Harris has rebuffed the counties and hired another firm, just in time for Jeb Bush's reelection fight this fall.

-------------------

Just can't accept facts can you?

1. As you well know is that all Al Gore had to do win his home state and he could not win over the people who know him BEST.

2. Once again...AS YOU WELL KNOW...
USA Today
5/15/2001

George W. Bush would have won a hand count of Florida's disputed ballots if the standard advocated by Al Gore had been used, the first full study of the ballots reveals. Bush would have won by 1,665 votes — more than triple his official 537-vote margin — if every dimple, hanging chad and mark on the ballots had been counted as votes, a USA TODAY/Miami Herald/Knight Ridder study shows. The study is the first comprehensive review of the 61,195 "undervote" ballots that were at the center of Florida's disputed presidential election.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/2001-04-03-floridamain.htm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum