Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ObamaCare menu mandate creates headache for restaurants

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tucked deep in the Affordable Care Act is language requiring all restaurants with at least 20 locations to list nutritional information alongside each and every item on their menu.

That edict is now creating headaches for small business owners across the country, particularly pizza chains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Take Domino's. There are 34 million different pizza combinations available at the chain, when all crusts and cheeses and toppings are factored in.

Now imagine walking into a Domino's and navigating a menu board with 34 million different options on it.

Executives say figuring out the small print will be a big burden.

"Our company, like many pizza enterprises, is individual small business franchisees, so these are people that own three or four, or one or two Domino's pizza stores," said Domino's spokeswoman Lynn Liddle. "To have to redo the menu boards every time something changes on a calorie count would cost them several thousand dollars."

Liddle said the FDA has suggested offering a calorie range for different pies, instead of listing each and every possibility -- but she said that isn't helpful, since 90 percent of their business comes in over the phone or online. And none of those people ever set foot in the store, where the menu board would be.

Domino's has posted some nutritional information online for 13 years, and would like that to satisfy the FDA.

Some supporters of the Affordable Care Act are starting to agree.

"What the FDA did, I think, was really an overreach," Rep. Loretta Sanchez, D-Calif., told Fox News.

Sanchez backs legislation that encourages the FDA to allow certain restaurants -- especially places that deliver frequently -- to provide information online or through an app, or offer information for a variety of toppings and combinations.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/25/obamacare-menu-headache/

big brother is here to save you all.. all you damn knuckleheads.

It sounds about like liberal crap of trying to hound business into bankruptcy, but don't forget we had to "pass it to see what is in it".....

Looks like moron z retracted
His stupid statement

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Looks like moron z retracted
His stupid statement

He probably found out it was true lol

and I agree, another costly thing to put a expense on businesses to try and make up for people not taking responsibility for themselves.  Rolling Eyes 

2seaoat

Utter nonsense. I could go online and pay less than a $1000 dollars for database development of a simple SQL server database which would key into the cash register based upon the code for the order which could print the nutritional information on the receipt. This database would work in all restaurants, and would simply need data entry on menu items. Each consumer would know the calories, and the data input could be streamlined with applications which assist a restaurant with input based on simple factors.

If it was so damn hard......why is this here?

http://caloriecount.about.com/pizza-hut-nutrition-m54

I think some forum posters have no idea what is a real bureaucratic mess, and what is not because of utter lack of technical knowledge and common sense. Compliance has become easier in the last 20 years by an entire industry which is building software applications inexpensively which make the cost of compliance minute and nominal.

Seaoat you are utter nonsense

Seaoat you are utter nonsense

2seaoat wrote:Utter nonsense.  I could go online and pay less than a $1000 dollars for database development of a simple SQL server database which would key into the cash register based upon the code for the order which could print the nutritional information on the receipt.   This database would work in all restaurants, and would simply need data entry on menu items.  Each consumer would know the calories, and the data input could be streamlined with applications which assist a restaurant with input based on simple factors.

I think some forum posters have no idea what is a real bureaucratic mess, and what is not because of utter lack of technical knowledge and common sense.  Compliance has become easier in the last 20 years by an entire industry which is building software applications inexpensively which make the cost of compliance minute and nominal.  

if you read the article it states they have it online. its putting all that info on the actual menus that's is a problem.

and I don't know what you are dealing with but compliance has NOT gotten easier over the last 20 years. matter of a fact I have heard you complain many times on here about stupid damn costly compliances put on you buy the gov that cost you money. something about toilets and handles rings a bell.

but even if it is easy, why should the GOV mandate that businesses provide this information? How stupid does the gov think we are? oh crap I dint know that big mac and loaded pizza was bad for me...  Neutral 

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Utter nonsense.  I could go online and pay less than a $1000 dollars for database development of a simple SQL server database which would key into the cash register based upon the code for the order which could print the nutritional information on the receipt.   This database would work in all restaurants, and would simply need data entry on menu items.  Each consumer would know the calories, and the data input could be streamlined with applications which assist a restaurant with input based on simple factors.

I think some forum posters have no idea what is a real bureaucratic mess, and what is not because of utter lack of technical knowledge and common sense.  Compliance has become easier in the last 20 years by an entire industry which is building software applications inexpensively which make the cost of compliance minute and nominal.  

It is so good that we have people like you around to think for everyone else and then NO ONE has to take personal responsibility for themselves.

2seaoat

It is so good that we have people like you around to think for everyone else and then NO ONE has to take personal responsibility for themselves.

A person takes personal responsibility when they read the disclosure and make their decision based on the information online, in the menu, or from other independent sources and referrals for that particular restaurant.

However, all the best intentions to allow information to the food consumer must face in the final analysis the growing problem with reading comprehension which is amply displayed here on an array of issues, and certainly thinking the creation of a simple database is a burden on ownership of 20 or more restaurants is again a simple gap in comprehension.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:It is so good that we have people like you around to think for everyone else and then NO ONE has to take personal responsibility for themselves.

A person takes personal responsibility when they read the disclosure and make their decision based on the information online, in the menu, or from other independent sources and referrals for that particular restaurant.

However, all the best intentions to allow information to the food consumer must face in the final analysis the growing problem with reading comprehension which is amply displayed here on an array of issues, and certainly thinking the creation of a simple database is a burden on ownership of 20 or more restaurants is again a simple gap in comprehension.

Show us the menu that all fits on. Still can't figure out how personal responsibility works can you?

When I order a pizza, I know, without being taught or shown, that it is going to be high calories, high fat and with carbohydrates. WOW!

If I go into a steak house, and order a filet, rare with a salad and asparagus, I know it will be lower in calories. If I order the dinner salad, prime rib with a baked potato and all the toppings along with the asparagus with hollandaise sauce and a piece of key lime pie for desert, it will be a LOT of calories, fat and carbohydrates. Now how are they going to put on the menu a baked potato (they vary in size) then the nutritional by itself, then with butter, then with sour cream, then with chives?

Why not save all the money writing all those regulations and oversight and feed the poor? Educate the children?

How many people actually adjust their meal and by how many calories?

2seaoat

Show us the menu that all fits on. Still can't figure out how personal responsibility works can you?

Its called an asterisk and an Ipad. As was mentioned in the article there can be a range of caloric intake and a simple asterisk which allows the server to bring an Ipad with every specific combination on the menu if the customer wants the same, and the backend database can be easily and efficiently updated with minimal costs to the business. This has nothing to do with personal responsibility and everything to do with full disclosure, food safety, and health.

I bet you got yourself in a real tizzy when they passed the 1968 truth and lending act which disclosed standardized lender information to the consumer of lending products....by golly all those people without personal responsibility getting information......ya just cannot legislate gumption I guess.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Show us the menu that all fits on. Still can't figure out how personal responsibility works can you?

Its called an asterisk and an Ipad.  As was mentioned in the article there can be a range of caloric intake and a simple asterisk which allows the server to bring an Ipad with every specific combination on the menu if the customer wants the same, and the backend database can be easily and efficiently updated with minimal costs to the business.  This has nothing to do with personal responsibility and everything to do with full disclosure, food safety, and health.

I bet you got yourself in a real tizzy when they passed the 1968 truth and lending act which disclosed standardized lender information to the consumer of lending products....by golly all those people without personal responsibility getting information......ya just cannot legislate gumption I guess.

ObamaCare menu mandate creates headache for restaurants AnimatedDogLaughing

Why do you want the children to starve?

2seaoat

I have made different choices when looking at the Mac menu. I prefer breakfast items like their Oatmeal and and egg Mcmuffin, and calories do matter. Some real suprises.

dumpcare

I would think that with TV and all the social media that a disclaimer would be fine:

IF YOUR EAT OUR FOOD YOU MAY HAVE A HEART ATTACK, STROKE OR DEVELOP DIABETES. INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER FOODS MAY CAUSE YOU TO GO BLIND (BUT OF COURSE MASTURBATION CAN DO THAT ALSO) HAVE SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, AGGRESSION, CAUSE LARGE BREASTS IN MALES ALONG WITH ED, DISTORT WOMEN'S BREASTS, LIMBS MAY FALL OF IF ENOUGH CONSUMED LONG ENOUGH AND MOST OF ALL OUR FOOD MAY MAKE YOU DOWN RIGHT OBESE.

That should solve the problems because you cannot possibly get every combination to the exact calorie count, no way, no how. I was in the restaurant business 18 years and owned one of these national franchises, too many variations of hold this, hold that, put light sauce, etc.

Does anybody really believe Domino's has 34 million different pizza combinations?

dumpcare

According to this it's more:

http://www.gamedev.no/articles/PizzaCombinations/PizzaCombinations.html

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:Does anybody really believe Domino's has 34 million different pizza combinations?

Yes.....considering the ingredints , crust, sauce, and size.

I don't believe that.

Sal

Sal

Domino's and Papa John's suck. 

Why do wingnutz run such shitty restaurants?

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:How many people actually adjust their meal and by how many calories?

I have made different choices when looking at the Mac menu.  I prefer breakfast items like their Oatmeal and and egg Mcmuffin, and calories do matter.  Some real suprises.

Must be the drugs.

Here, again, are the questions.

Try harder.

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:Does anybody really believe Domino's has 34 million different pizza combinations?

As you know, someone actually wrote an algorithm which proved the claim true.

Tell me, will they have to write one if your pizza gets 12 slices of pepperoni and another if you get 14?

What about mushrooms?

What percentage of people actually read the worthless information and of them how many change their order? Why do you disdain personal responsibility?

Why do you want children to starve?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum