Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

4th Georgia Hospital closes in last two years from obamacare payment cuts

+5
TEOTWAWKI
PBulldog2
2seaoat
dumpcare
boards of FL
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

The fourth Georgia hospital in two years is closing its doors due to severe financial difficulties caused by Obamacare’s payment cuts for emergency services.

The Lower Oconee Community Hospital is, for now, a critical access hospital in southeastern Georgia that holds 25 beds. The hospital is suffering from serious cash-flow problems, largely due to the area’s 23 percent uninsured population, and hopes to reopen as “some kind of urgent care center,” CEO Karen O’Neal said.

The federal government has historically made payments to hospitals to cover the cost of uninsured patients seeking free medical care in emergency rooms, as federal law mandates that hospitals must care for all patients regardless of their ability to pay.

Because the Affordable Care Act’s authors believed they’d forced all states to implement the Medicaid expansion, Obamacare vastly cut hospital payments,

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/18/fourth-georgia-hospital-closes-due-to-obamacare-payment-cuts/#ixzz2tmzvQedw

and here, read this as its the orginal version.
http://www.boston.com/business/healthcare/2014/02/09/republicans-debate-mini-bailouts-for-hospitals/hN0hSHdfSbyebDh3X77XsJ/singlepage.html

thug politics kills

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.learningrx.com/reading-help-for-adults-faq.htm

boards of FL wrote:http://www.learningrx.com/reading-help-for-adults-faq.htm

Maybe you not only need to read, but apparently you need to retake your economics courses LOL

must have hit a nerve because you cant discuss, only slander. Usual liberal deflection when they have lost the debate. And you have lost it, and all the liberals in the whitehouse know it too... scramble, scramble.

dumpcare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

25 hospital beds? Who are you kidding they never could compete with the larger hospitals.

I used to somewhat believe you about nurses being layed off because of obamacare, but I believe anyone that was probably deserved it after checking on career builder the other day in the panhandle and several large city's to look whats out there. I cannot believe the postings for nurses at every level and the hiring going on. Layed off is just another word for a firing that probably was well deserved. I don't doubt they work long hours, hell I know a couple of local nurses that have worked long hours for 20 years, so who's to blame for that?

2seaoat

Bingo

ppaca wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

25 hospital beds? Who are you kidding they never could compete with the larger hospitals.

I used to somewhat believe you about nurses being layed off because of obamacare, but I believe anyone that was probably deserved it after checking on career builder the other day in the panhandle and several large city's to look whats out there. I cannot believe the postings for nurses at every level and the hiring going on. Layed off is just another word for a firing that probably was well deserved. I don't doubt they work long hours, hell I know a couple of local nurses that have worked long hours for 20 years, so who's to blame for that?

Lay off the ones who have longevity and higher pay to hire recent grads. its a trend.

however thats another topic, please start your own thread.

as far as that hospital, small as it may be. I can tell you my sister lives in folkston Ga and they lost thier big hospital, and loosing another healthcare facility in these rural areas is harsh.

and even a 25 bed hospital employees a lot of people.

Make light of it if you wish. I didnt expect any different from the brain dead zombies who cant see the light coming right at them lol

Oh, one thing I need to educate you smart lefties on about all of this.

The cuts were made BEFORE all those so called extra insured people ever came to fruition.

Us country chicks call that putting the horse before the cart... = getting your ass runned over.

Oh so the cuts were made before Obamacare? So what does the hospital closing have to do w/ underpayments? This is just another fraudulent article that makes no sense whatsoever to do w/ Obamacare.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

ppaca wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

Chrissy is correct about older nurses being terminated/fired/laid off in favor of hiring younger nurses. I'm a member of multiple national nursing discussion groups who are discussing this trend. It's definitely true, and it's happening all over the country.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Duplicate post.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 2/19/2014, 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dot wrote:

Lay off the ones who have longevity and higher pay to hire recent grads. its a trend.

however thats another topic, please start your own thread.

as far as that hospital, small as it may be. I can tell you my sister lives in folkston Ga and they lost thier big hospital, and loosing another healthcare facility in these rural areas is harsh.

and even a 25 bed hospital employees a lot of people.

Make light of it if you wish. I didnt expect any different from the brain dead zombies who cant see the light coming right at them lol

Thanks for keeping it real Chrissy..when the Guillotine blade is released on their liberal necks in a FEMA execution room their last words will be this wasn't Obama's fault !

PBulldog2 wrote:

Chrissy is correct about older nurses being terminated/fired/laid off in favor of hiring younger nurses. I'm a member of multiple national nursing discussion groups who are discussing this trend. It's definitely true, and it's happening all over the country.

I do not like this practice. I have found in my career that older nurses are more experianced. Younger nurses come in green and want to run the show as with the attitudes of our younger know it all generation and it puts peoples lives in danger.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Dot wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:

I do not like this practice. I have found in my career that older nurses are more experianced. Younger nurses come in green and want to run the show as with the attitudes of our younger know it all generation and it puts peoples lives in danger.

It's all about money, Chrissy.

Young nurses cost less for two reasons: They are healthier and their pay is substantially less.

Firing older nurses and replacing them with young nurses is an appealing tactic for hospital systems that self-insure, too.

Again, this is not just a local issue. It is happening all across the country. It's a huge issue right now with older, experienced nurses.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Dot wrote:Maybe you not only need to read, but apparently you need to retake your economics courses LOL

What do you think they mean when they say...

Many hospitals in the 25 states that rejected the Medicaid expansion are facing similar financial problems.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Several older nurses I know from one particular hospital in the Chicago area were fired for "not living the values" of their hospital system. I'm serious. That was the reason given.

Unbelievable!

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Ppaca, I have to ask. Are you referring to me in your post above?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Even if Medicare needs tweaking or even reforming, don't be against the idea of having Medicare.
All you have to do is think about what it would be like if there was no Medicare and instead all we had was the private insurance system.

At my age, and these were the actual Blue Cross numbers run for me, the monthly premium would be $980.

Now, I'm the youngest age year of anyone on Medicare. SO, if a 65 year old is paying $12,000 a year, what in gods name would be the premium be when we're 75 or 85?
Which of course means that the vast majority of seniors would no longer have insurance and would ALL be going to the emergency room.
And remember we already know doing medicine via ER is very costly.
Not to mention, the next time you have to go to the emergency room, how would you like to get in line behind 50 more people. All of them geezers.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PBulldog2 wrote:

Exactly! I posted about the hospital nurses recently, I talked to several nurses. They are full time but when the census is low they are sent home. Some only have 24 hours on a 2 week pay scale. The nurses work 12 hour shifts. When the census was high they were working 4 12 hour shifts...not a good idea.

dumpcare

PBulldog2 wrote:

I don't doubt that at all it happens in quite a few industry's, get rid of the old guard and hire younger and cheaper ones. That is why I see so many

I don't doubt that at all it happens in quite a few industry's, get rid of the old guard and hire younger and cheaper ones. That is why I see so many nursing ads.

dumpcare

PBulldog2 wrote:

No why? Oh, you thought I meant you deserved to be layed off. Nope was referring to some that may have deserved to go, I should have worded that differently. There are thousands that deserve to keep their job.

I do think that it is shitty that if a nurse or anyone for that matter that has 20+ years on the job and they are performing up to standards there is absolutely no reason to let them go and hire younger one's. I know company's look at this as economic's, but they are not getting the experience in return and someone will suffer.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

ppaca wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:

No why? Oh, you thought I meant you deserved to be layed off. Nope was referring to some that may have deserved to go,  I should have worded that differently. There are thousands that deserve to keep their job.

I do think that it is shitty that if a nurse or anyone for that matter that has 20+ years on the job and they are performing up to standards there is absolutely no reason to let them go and hire younger one's. I know company's look at this as economic's, but they are not getting the experience in return and someone will suffer.

Good. I was having a "moment" there.  Crying or Very sad  I didn't think you were referring to me, but I had to ask.

dumpcare

lol, To tell the truth, like I said, it does piss me off to see someone let go that has a good track record at what they do for someone just out of college for less money. Hell you probably do the job of two and the one from college barely knows how to wipe their noses.

boards of FL wrote:
Dot wrote:Maybe you not only need to read, but apparently you need to retake your economics courses LOL

What do you think they mean when they say...

Many hospitals in the 25 states that rejected the Medicaid expansion are facing similar financial problems.

I think that they are holding a gun to the heads of healthcare facilities. Thats what I think.

Now, what do you have to say about this. Let me say it slowwwwwwwwwwww

THE CUTS CAME BEFORE the actual increase in insured people who were supposed to make up for the cuts.
do you understand that?

do you think these hospitals and other private practices, labs etc that have been closing thier doors has anything to do with medicaid? Because the medicaid expansion just started this past year. The cuts have been going on for far longer. horse before cart.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS BOARDS?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Dot wrote:Now, what do you have to say about this. Let me say it slowwwwwwwwwwww

THE CUTS CAME BEFORE the actual increase in insured people who were supposed to make up for the cuts.
do you understand that?

From where are you getting this?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum