Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Op-Ed: Why businesses and citizens should avoid Pensacola at all costs

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

By Justin King
Feb 13, 2014 - yesterday in Politics

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/politics/op-ed-why-businesses-and-citizens-should-avoid-pensacola-at-all-costs/article/370677

Pensacola - The city has suffered international backlash due to a law aimed at making the homeless in the city uncomfortable, but the thought process behind that rule show bad decision making that will hit businesses on their bottom line.
A law passed last summer in the apparent hopes of making the city’s homeless so uncomfortable they flee the area should have businesses and tourists making plans to get out as well. The city council voted 6 -3 in favor of the ordinance it said was aimed at “camping” in public spaces. Their apparent change of heart is too little, too late to ward off the ramifications of their inhumanity. The ordinance stated that no person may be
Read more...
Pensacola mayor now supports repeal of homeless blanket ban
Pensacola conducts 'Running of the Bulls'
Straight to the Street 2009 Helps Toronto's Homeless Special
"adjacent to or inside a tent or sleeping bag, or atop and/or covered by materials such as a bedroll, cardboard, newspapers, or inside some form of temporary shelter."
Confiscating the blankets in freezing temperatures opens the city to massive liability in the event that one of the homeless population dies from exposure. Owners thinking of locating a business in Pensacola would do well to remember that the city council that could not foresee this inevitable liability would be making decisions affecting their bottom line.
The ordinance was ill-conceived from the outset, but the fact that it was defended by the city council until international pressure was brought to bear shows a complete disconnect with reality, and a willingness to punish people who may be in the position they are in because of the absolutely dismal leadership in Pensacola. It cannot be ignored that as soon as one exits the city and crosses the Pensacola Bay Bridge into neighboring Gulf Breeze, the poverty level drops from 16.58%, which is well above the national average, to a mere 4.08%. Being below the poverty level is standard for communities along Florida’s Gulf Coast. In twelve years of poverty records, Pensacola’s lowest reported poverty level was still higher than the highest US poverty level.

The fact that the law enforcement agencies were willing to go along with such an immoral act is par for the course in the city. This is the same community that chose not to file charges against deputies of Escambia County Sheriff’s Office who entered a home without a warrant while the residents were asleep and shot two dogs, killing one. The officers entered through an open window because somewhere in the area earlier in the day there was armed disturbance. No officer reported seeing anyone enter the home, and no suspect was inside the home. Assistant State Attorney Greg Marcille said that charges would not be filed because the actions were not premeditated. Remember that in the Pensacola area, as long as an assailant didn’t plan it out before hand, he can walk into a hotel room and kill the resident’s pets without facing charges.
An officer willing to strip a person of their source of warmth in freezing temperatures simply because they were told to by a city council concerned with “aesthetic” image is not acting as a police officer, but as a hired thug. These are officers who do not care for their fellow man or their community. They are certainly not the officers that should be expected to find a tourist’s child lost on the beach, unless of course that child was hiding under a blanket. The city might be able to save a bit of funding by employing gang members from 6th Avenue to achieve its goals.
It is not a crime in this nation to be poor. For a city to put the lives of people seen as undesirable in jeopardy simply to raise the visual appeal of the community violates basic ideas of humanity, and fails in the attempt to raise the image of the city because the rest of the world sees it for what it is. The actions of the city council have further darkened the black mark on Florida’s Gulf Coast that is Pensacola. They have let the world know that the voting majority of the city council, in what could be another picturesque community, are monsters that would prey on the weak in the cold of night simply to not have to see them on their drive in to work. This is knowledge the business community and the people should not soon forget.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/politics/op-ed-why-businesses-and-citizens-should-avoid-pensacola-at-all-costs/article/370677#ixzz2tLAy1GbG

Im not sure why Pensacola got targeted, but most cities have a no camping in public places law.

I think as the city goes down, and it IS going down the right are fleeing the area except for the too old to move crowd and the left are becoming more prominent.

One thing I noticed when I first moved to Pensacola was that the people in Pensacola have this idea that their city is some how on the map of something special. It really isn't. Most people I talk to out here don't know anything about it.

so how you make your laws, sleeping in public etc, may be what the citizens of pcola want, and that's fine. but don't blame the fact you've had that law for businesses not coming, because its going to be the other way around and this article is more than likely trying to place the blame before the train hits.

People who are successful and want to move to booming areas, who make good money do not want to be surrounded by street bums and people living on the side of the road. sounds harsh but it is reality.

People do not want to spend $250,000. on a home only to have to go home every night and see and wonder about the vagrants who have moved in next to the boat dock.

So for whats its worth, yall have probably hurt your city's prosperity, but I know that will make you happy.

Had the people who were angry about the blanket thing done the RIGHT thing and gotten to together and opened a shelter, you would have come off as a caring community who also respected the city and other people who live there by not supporting people sleeping around in the streets, which is really dangerous anyway, even with a blanket.

So if your happy that BIG business probably wont want to move there due to their types of employees wont want to live there, celebrate. There is a good chance y'all have sealed the deal for a tiny pcola staying off the map. The only thing you have to worry about now is news travels faster than you think amongst the street people. They know you love them. Love them, they will come.

Enjoy.

for the record, I pray pcola only gets the "good" street people". I do love the area.

Sal

Sal

Enlightened individuals have known to avoid Pensacola at all costs, along with the majority of the rest of the panhandle, for some time.

So you're ok w/ the govt. telling people they can't use blankets. I wasn't under the impression it was about camping out at all.

Dreamsglore wrote:So you're ok w/ the govt. telling people they can't use blankets. I wasn't under the impression it was about camping out at all.

who are you talking to?

Had the people who were angry about the blanket thing done the RIGHT thing and gotten to together and opened a shelter

And maybe if people had not torn down and moved the Shelter that we had, things would be different.

Mr Ichi wrote:Had the people who were angry about the blanket thing done the RIGHT thing and gotten to together and opened a shelter

And maybe if people had not torn down and moved the Shelter that we had, things would be different.  

They have a bigger and better shelter and the shelter point is moot. It's about blankets and criminalizing it. I would think the right wingers would have jumped on that? Taking away your freedoms and all that blah.

No solution will be found. Soon it will be summer and people will have other things to worry about. As sure as the rising and setting of the Sun and the Moon the wave of "transients," will always be with us. Only our perception of them will change.

Rick blog
During the early days of his administration, Mayor Ashton Hayward was fond of proclaiming, “Perception is reality".

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Enlightened individuals have known to avoid Pensacola at all costs, along with the majority of the rest of the panhandle, for some time.

I know you'll never accept this, but the panhandle is a melting pot not unlike Miami and it's surroundings. That's the thing I cherish the most about it and why I want to live here. The melting pot provides a really good culture clash and one that's unique to all the other places in America I've experienced. Probably better than any other example, it's where the old south and the new south and the transplants from the north and the transplants from everywhere via the military all meet. Throw in Vietnamese and now neighborhoods representing immigration from just about everywhere and the European tourists coming in through South Walton and the spring breakers and the goddamn thing is a fucking mulligan stew. And all that is in the same place as one of the buckles of the bible belt (which I realize would be a problem for you LOL). And it's a side trip for people from all over the world who make the mecca to New Orleans.

But it has that quality without having all the negatives which come with living in a megalopolis.

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:Enlightened individuals have known to avoid Pensacola at all costs, along with the majority of the rest of the panhandle, for some time.

I know you'll never accept this,  but the panhandle is a melting pot not unlike Miami and it's surroundings.  That's the thing I cherish the most about it and why I want to live here.  The melting pot provides a really good culture clash and one that's unique to all the other places in America I've experienced.  Probably better than any other example,  it's where the old south and the new south and the transplants from the north and the transplants from everywhere via the military all meet.  Throw in Vietnamese and now neighborhoods representing immigration from just about everywhere and the European tourists coming in through South Walton and the spring breakers and the goddamn thing is a fucking mulligan stew.  And all that is in the same place as one of the buckles of the bible belt (which I realize would be a problem for you LOL).  And it's a side trip for people from all over the world who make the mecca to New Orleans.

But it has that quality without having all the negatives which come with living in a megalopolis.  

Well Said Mr Bob Well said cheers 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh and I almost forgot something, Sal. It is literally a buckle of the bible belt but it's also this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day_Pensacola_Beach_Pride

It is no exaggeration to say it's like neocons and taliban all in the same neighborhood.
I spent a couple hours this afternoon talking to a local musician who spent a lot of his life living in Chelsea (the neighborhood adjacent to the West Village where Philip Seymour Hoffman lived). Manhattan is sure some intriguing shit but you gotta be here to experience what it's like when 50,000 queers descend on the buckle of the bible belt. That don't happen NOWHERE else. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Check this out, Ichi.

I used "not being in a megalopolis" as being in our favor. And I used it to make a point.

But in actuality, there are only 11 megalopoli in the United States. And we are a part of one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_%28city_type%29#United_States.5B6.5D.5B28.5D

I find it humorous that people from all over the country devote hour after hour to telling us how fucked up we are.  We try to be polite but do you think we really give shit what you think about local issues? I damn sure don't.

Mr Ichi wrote:I find it humorous that people from all over the country devote hour after hour to telling us how fucked up we are.  We try to be polite but do you think we really give shit what you think about local issues?  I damn sure don't.

Op-Ed: Why businesses and citizens should avoid Pensacola at all costs   Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvWjxFaxezQSlrEQSzeRR6sGnoNLVTqEZmKJ88Ifas8XHNE5fN

I think you're painting with a broad brush.

I've only made one comment on this subject and it involved the creation of shelters which was directed at Dreams.

Otherwise I've been noncommittal on the subject.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmuZsSsyQ-M

Smile 

Bob wrote:

I know you'll never accept this,  but the panhandle is a melting pot not unlike Miami and it's surroundings.  That's the thing I cherish the most about it and why I want to live here.  The melting pot provides a really good culture clash and one that's unique to all the other places in America I've experienced.  Probably better than any other example,  it's where the old south and the new south and the transplants from the north and the transplants from everywhere via the military all meet.  Throw in Vietnamese and now neighborhoods representing immigration from just about everywhere and the European tourists coming in through South Walton and the spring breakers and the goddamn thing is a fucking mulligan stew.  And all that is in the same place as one of the buckles of the bible belt (which I realize would be a problem for you LOL).  And it's a side trip for people from all over the world who make the mecca to New Orleans.

you're disillusioned lol, but it's cute. in a pcola way.

Mr Ichi wrote:I find it humorous that people from all over the country devote hour after hour to telling us how fucked up we are.  We try to be polite but do you think we really give shit what you think about local issues?  I damn sure don't.

well I used to live there and I still have friends and family there. and ive been a core member of this group for many years. so I will give my opinion. just in case your comment was towards me.

but as far as giving a shit about what another thinks here, I can safely say I don't think any of us give a shit about what anyone else says on any topic.

I got to get up now.

carpe dium

How disillusioned? I am fully aware of my surroundings. The fact that we are very vocal about the issues in our community leads to the false assumption that we are all "unenlightened" cretins who live dark and dismal lives.

Sal

Sal

[quote="Mr Ichi"]
Bob wrote:

Sounds like every other town in Florida, but with an even bigger dose of red-neck crackers.

I'm just funnin', y'all.

Tampa is just a bigger stew with less crackers.

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Sounds like every other town in Florida, but with an even bigger dose of red-neck crackers.

I'm just funnin', y'all.

Tampa is just a bigger stew with less crackers.[/font]

lol
[/quote]

It might sound like every other town in Florida.  But you have to eyeball it to know that it's actually very different.  Most of Florida is very new.  Pensacola is very old.  
In 1900,  Pensacola had a larger population (18,000) than Tampa (16,000) and had six times the population of Orlando (3,000).  And Miami was just being incorporated with a whopping population of 300.
Pensacola was settled first in 1559 and then again in 1698.

Pensacola's history is barely known outside the panhandle.
When I was visiting the Nina and Pinta last week,  I had conversations with all three of the crew members who were aboard at the time and all three were amazingly knowledgable about every minute detail of Columbus' voyages.
I asked the first one I talked to "do you know about the history of where you are now?".  He had no clue.  I then told him that only 50 years after Columbus first spotted land in what is now the Bahamas,  that a Spanish explorer with 13 ships (including caravels like the Nina) and 1500 settlers landed in Pensacola.  
He looked at me incredulously like I was making it up.
I thought to myself "shit,  surely one of the other two will know".  But they didn't either.

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:Sounds like every other town in Florida, but with an even bigger dose of red-neck crackers.

I'm just funnin', y'all.

Tampa is just a bigger stew with less crackers.[/font]

lol

It might sound like every other town in Florida.  But you have to eyeball it to know that it's actually very different.  Most of Florida is very new.  Pensacola is very old.  
In 1900,  Pensacola had a larger population (18,000) than Tampa (16,000) and had six times the population of Orlando (3,000).  And Miami was just being incorporated with a whopping population of 300.
Pensacola was settled first in 1559 and then again in 1698.

Pensacola's history is barely known outside the panhandle.
When I was visiting the Nina and Pinta last week,  I had conversations with all three of the crew members who were aboard at the time and all three were amazingly knowledgable about every minute detail of Columbus' voyages.
I asked the first one I talked to "do you know about the history of where you are now?".  He had no clue.  I then told him that only 50 years after Columbus first spotted land in what is now the Bahamas,  that a Spanish explorer with 13 ships (including caravels like the Nina) and 1500 settlers landed in Pensacola.  
He looked at me incredulously like I was making it up.
I thought to myself "shit,  surely one of the other two will know".  But they didn't either.[/quote]

I always think its cute when pcolians go on this " we were first triad" .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida

apparently there are a lot of , short temporary settlements, so the prize went to st Augustine for stay power. St Augustine has massive amounts of history all around that can still be seen, just about anywhere you go.

its unfortunate that a hurricane wiped out your chance of fame of being able to claim 1st long term city ( well established)in America.

with that said, Pensacola is a or was a lovely city. You should be proud of having the whitest beaches on the coast. The very special sand you have there is fabulous.

Pensacola's only hope of being on the map for real in florida is to become a port city for cruise ships.

Your biggest industry there is healthcare, and Obama has killed that. I know those people well and I can assure you major cut backs and down scaling has already occurred.

You could let the Indians have their way and have some casinos. but remember, with gambling big time comes some other stuff you might not like. think vegas.. or who knows, maybe you wont mind all the crime and people sleeping on the street as long as little pcola is famous.  Smile 

BTW.. Tampa is a SHIT HOLE! don't ever become like them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dot wrote:

I always think its cute when pcolians go on this "we were first triad" .

It is so ironic for me of all people to be accused of being "a pensacolian who goes on this we we're first triad", Chrissy.

It's ironic because I'm the one pensacolian who discovered we weren't "the first" and who then tried to make that known by telling the people on this message forum and then by trying to tell the people at the local newspaper. All of which told me I was fulla shit, even though I showed them the proof positive of it. lol

Bob wrote:
Dot wrote:

I always think its cute when pcolians go on this "we were first triad" .

It is so ironic for me of all people to be accused of being "a pensacolian who goes on this we we're first triad",  Chrissy.  

It's ironic because I'm the one pensacolian who discovered we weren't "the first" and who then tried to make that known by telling the people on this message forum and then by trying to tell the people at the local newspaper.  All of which told me I was fulla shit,  even though I showed them the proof positive of it.  lol

did I say you specifically? No i said its cute when pensacolains do it.

and I recall that and hat did I tell you/ I said they were gonna run you outta town. your lucky they didn't picket your house and burn you down.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy,

This is what I submitted to the Pensacola News Journal last April 3rd as a "Viewpoint" piece.

Since the 2nd grade (when I came to Pensacola), I've been told Pensacola was the site of the first European settlement in what is now the United States. I've believed this for over 50 years. And so does everyone else who lives here or visits here. It's taught to us in schools. It's told to us on signs. It's confirmed by local historians. It's celebrated as our main claim to fame.

So you can imagine what a surprise it was when several days ago I was surfing the internet and discovered it's actually not true.
In 1526, more than three decades before the de Luna expedition came to Pensacola Bay, another Spanish Explorer named Lucas Vasquez de Ayllon with an expedition of three ships carrying 600 settlers and 100 horses, established a settlement on the coast of what is present-day Georgia or South Carolina. It was named San Miguel de Gauldape.

At first I was not convinced. So I made an effort to confirm it. And I found numerous history websites which do indeed confirm what I just told you. The precise location of it is still unresolved but there is no dispute that it was located on what is now the coast of Georgia or South Carolina. The best information as of now, places this settlement in Georgia on the bank of the Sapelo Sound on Sapelo Island. If you google map Sapelo Island, GA you will see that it's still virtually in the middle of nowhere.
And because of that I can speculate about how this wrong-headed telling of history has been allowed to happen. Since, unlike with the de Luna settlement, there is no community near it driven by a tourism oriented economy, no one has much cared about calling it "the first". And it could be simply for that reason the erroneous Pensacola claim has always gone unchallenged.

And if not knowing a more exact location (like we do know in the case of the de Luna settlement) is the deal-killer for this, then we really need to strike something else from the history books as well. Because the location Christopher Columbus first came ashore in the Bahamas has not been resolved either. But that doesn't seem to prevent Columbus from having a national holiday and the District of Columbia and a space shuttle named after him now does it.

To it's credit, the Wikipedia page on Pensacola history doesn't even claim us to be "THE first".
Only says it was "a notable early attempt to settle in Florida"... and "Pensacola was the site of one of the first European-inhabited settlements in what would later become the United States of America".
"ONE OF". Not "THE first". It doesn't say that because how could it when it says "San Miguel de Gualdape was the first European settlement inside what is now United States territory" on the Wikipedia page for San Miguel de Gualdape.

"Why does this matter" is the question I've already been asked. My answer to that is, if this does not matter, then all that incorrect history I was told for the last 50 years did not matter either. Anyone asking that question cannot have it both ways.
This morning I told a wiser person than myself that revealing this is going to make me feel like Benedict Arnold. But he responded with "there’s nothing Benedict Arnold about it. History is history. Grown-ups should react as grown-ups should. It’s not like it’s a major scandal".
So I decided to take his advice and that's why you're reading this.

The person I quoted at the end is Mike Suchcicki. He was the one who encouraged me to submit it. So I did. And then it was completely ignored by the newspaper so nobody got to read it.

2seaoat

All of which told me I was fulla shit, even though I showed them the proof positive of it.

There was NO proof positive of a location of this mystical prior temporary settlement which was more in the nature of an exploration than a settlement......which if it was one....please show me the location and the archeology and proof of the same.......you have not shown one scintilla of the proof, but you did refer to a transitory exploration group where they never found any proof of a permanent settlement.

If Pensacola is your idea of diversity and use the analogy of a mulligan stew, then that is the most bland uniform simple meat and potato stew I have ever seen.  Where is the Mexican community, where is the Puerto Rican community, where is the Russian, German, Poles, Pakistani, Egyptian,chinese, Korean, Italians, Brits, and Japanese.......Go to the Pelican drop and you will see a few african americans, a handful of hispanics, and a couple handfuls of asians........and a whole bunch of scotch irish descent white people.......Pensacola a diverse rich mulligan stew......hardly.

http://www.city-data.com/top103.html

Siberians walked across the bering ice bridge and down the west coast about ten thousand years ago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum