Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's get inspired today! Be happy! :)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sometimes everyday is just a challenge. We may have to remind ourselves often about being inspired, or inspiring others, finding happiness, love in our daily lives. And each day we may need to try to find a way to do that. That's ok.

1. Let it go.

When someone criticizes you or says something not-so-nice, just forget it. Worse things have been uttered in human history. Even when you know the person meant it, remember that you become stronger by accepting them for who they are and knowing your capabilities.

2. Be kind.

People who are mean and feel the need to put others down are insecure with themselves. But when you are kind to others, kindness returns to you.

3. Think of your problems as challenges.

When you come up against a difficulty, whether a person or an event, consider what your future self will have learned from it. I believe it was Kanye West, or maybe Nietszche, who said, “What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.”

4. Express gratitude.

When you let people know that you appreciate them, they are more willing to help you in the future. Saying thank you is more than good manners—it’s karma.

5. Dream big.

The happiest person has reached the highest level of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs—self-actualization. If you want to be happy you must work hard to achieve something, and strive to attain that life goal.

6. Speak well of others.

The Buddhist notion of “right thought, right action” is an important one. It’s in the mind that negativity starts. By clearing your head of negative ideas of others, you will clear your mind of problems, worries and fears, and you won’t be tempted to gossip or speak ill and bring that negativity back to you.

7. Be in the now.

Yes, you have to do your laundry and clean the bathroom when you get home, but while you’re here now eating this cheeseburger, just enjoy the cheeseburger. Then apply this lesson to all other moments of pleasure and work—you can deal with the little stuff later.

8. Do not compare yourself to others.

As soon as you start this, you fall into a trap of ego, a grasping at the temporal, fleeting aspects of reality. Instead, think about what you have that makes you happy, or at least satisfied.

9. Realize you don’t need others’ approval.

As long as you do what makes you happy, you don’t need other people to condone your actions. This will free you to act on what you believe, which will instill confidence into your every act.

10. Be honest.

Lies, even little ones, imply that you are willing to be lied to in return. But when you keep your conversation honest, you will maintain a higher level of integrity in your world.

11. Take time to listen.

The happiest person doesn’t interrupt because she knows that if she wants to be heard, she has to listen to others. By listening instead of waiting to speak, you can understand what motivates others, which can help you build rapport with them and understand yourself.

12. Accept what can’t be changed.

Sure, I wish I was taller, smarter, and better looking. But I’m not. As soon as I realized that I wasn’t going to be President of the U.S.A., I figured out what I did want to do with my life: write.

13. Read daily selections from a book of wisdom.

Magazines and newspapers are all well and good, but the reason people throughout history have dedicated their lives to religion and philosophy is because of the wisdom these sacred texts hold. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Bible, Torah or Quran verse, reading these books of wisdom will remind you of what came before and what will come after you.

14. Travel at least two weeks of the year.

It’s even better if it’s foreign travel. Alas, getting out of the country can be expensive. When you go somewhere different, to remind yourself of how people live in places other than those that you’re used to, you will be happy to return to what you have when it’s time.

15. Catch yourself before negativity starts.

Yeah, it’s easy to read the above points and say, okay, I get it. But the hardest part of being happy is realizing when negativity starts to creep into your mind and from there, getting rid of it.

16. Dress well.

You’re only as good as you feel, and you can only feel good if you look good. Personal hygiene, grooming, and fashion enter into this. Rarely will you find someone well-dressed crying by themselves.

17. Enjoy sadness.

John Keats said that in the “temple of delight melancholy has her sovran shrine.” In other words, at the heart of every joy is a glimmer of sadness waiting to shine through. The same goes for sadness—within every pain is a reversal of fortune that will lead you to feel happy again. So when those moments come, enjoy them. They won’t last long.

18. Eat well.

You are what you eat, so if you’re stuffing yourself with cheeseburgers and hot dogs every day, chances are you are overweight and you lack energy and mental clarity. Instead, make sure to eat enough fruit and vegetables, protein and carbohydrates—and indulge in moderation.

19. Keep in touch with your friends and family.

Your family—in most cases—loves you unconditionally. It’s important to keep in touch with them, whether it’s a weekly phone call or an annual visit. Friends too help to inspire and support happy people. Take time out of your week to communicate with them.

20. Be alone.

The happiest person is comfortable spending time by himself. That’s because he loves himself. A lot. He is just as comfortable spending an entire day alone as he is spending it with someone else. You should be too.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/starting-today-you-can-the-happiest-person-you-pick-these-habits.html

I love you 

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

OK, I'll bite. I plan to be quite happy for the rest of this week.

Tomorrow, I will be taking a load of electronics, furniture and clothes to the new Sean's Outpost Thrift Store on north Palafox Street.

Sean's Outpost, as we all know, is responsible for the nine acre Satoshi Forest, the new campground/sustainable living center off Massachusetts started by Jason King and Michael Kimberl. Nathan Monk manages the thrift store when he is not otherwise occupied writing petitions (that tend to garner national attention) on behalf of the homeless.

On Thursday evening, I will be attending the City Council meeting at City Hall during which the proposal to do away with the "no blankets" ordinance will be discussed. Like many others, I, too will be wearing a light blanket around my shoulders. Actually, I have a poncho that is made out of an old Mexican blanket, so I think I shall don that. It will match my kick-ass boots.

On Friday, I will be volunteering with Lost and Found Pets of Pensacola.

On Saturday, I may be heading back to the Thrift Store to help sort "stuff."

On Sunday, we have the second organizational meeting for Lost and Found Pets.

----------------------

Walk your talk, folks. Live your passions. It will make you happier than anything else you could ever do.

Let's get inspired today! Be happy! :) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLiFGT-QEd-7szVJYBfmAoFD3yhXuBNeR2GCEfVMVl1M041Jn7

*****HAPPY CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Very Happy 

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Dreams really do come true....

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Meanwhile...."if you know what life is worth".....let's bring them in from the cold.

PBulldog2 wrote:OK, I'll bite. I plan to be quite happy for the rest of this week.

Tomorrow, I will be taking a load of electronics, furniture and clothes to the new Sean's Outpost Thrift Store on north Palafox Street.

Sean's Outpost, as we all know, is responsible for the nine acre Satoshi Forest, the new campground/sustainable living center off Massachusetts started by Jason King and Michael Kimberl. Nathan Monk manages the thrift store when he is not otherwise occupied writing petitions (that tend to garner national attention) on behalf of the homeless.

On Thursday evening, I will be attending the City Council meeting at City Hall during which the proposal to do away with the "no blankets" ordinance will be discussed. Like many others, I, too will be wearing a light blanket around my shoulders. Actually, I have a poncho that is made out of an old Mexican blanket, so I think I shall don that. It will match my kick-ass boots.

On Friday, I will be volunteering with Lost and Found Pets of Pensacola.

On Saturday, I may be heading back to the Thrift Store to help sort "stuff."

On Sunday, we have the second organizational meeting for Lost and Found Pets.

----------------------

Walk your talk, folks. Live your passions. It will make you happier than anything else you could ever do.

That's very good,PB. Like many groups of people there are good and bad. I have come to know many homeless over the years and there are lots of good ones who just can't get it together enough to provide for themselves.What time is the city council meeting?

ah i see. take a perfectly nice post and drag shit into it.

well, you ask for it.

about homeless people? ive taken in about a dozen in my life, got raped by one. had another hold a knife to my throat over a ciggerette. and theres more, this is the nice stuff.

so excuse me if i do tend to want to keep my distance these days.

but i do contribute to many charities but im sure that doesnt meet your demands. all of you are so much more charitable than I. So much more compassionate.

But it's good to be alive. and Happy!  Smile 

Hey, don't let a little reality poo poo on your go get em parade. I certainly haven't let all these troubles in life stop me. Im a full advocate of go getters.

I believe in inspiration.  Very Happy 

I understand what its like to be down and out.to walk amongst the lesser of humanity. You cant stop me because I have been made solid by life.

I do not regret even the worse things that have happened in my life, and you don't know a smear. Im a survivor. Ive survived rape, kidnapping and cancer.

and yet I am happy.

Im sorry if the cat got your tongue, it shouldn't. because no one here knows what another person has gone through when they pass a judgment, same goes for me. I don't really know you.

But I can tell you, I am a happy person. or at least I think I am lol

Ive traveled a long hard road to reach where I am today. and I am the wiser for it. a chameleon. I can go from street hooker to business executive in 10min flat LOL

many of you make assumptions about who you are dealing with, and for the most part, you havnt nailed it. but only because your thinking to simple.

No fault of your own, its just most of you lack real world experiences as some others here might have. That's part of life, living life to the fullest.

I actually encourage you to go out and do what you can for those homeless people, odds are youll probably not have a issue because you are old, rarely does old people get raped. but they do get robbed so I caution you.

what have we learned here? never judge a person for what you perceive online. will some of you realize that? I doubt it. why do I think that, because I know how much fun it is for you to be like you are. But it doesn't mean I have to play along anymore. I will play along with it at my leisure.  Cool 

Youll find your way back from this. I know you will. I have faith that the hate in you is so strong, nothing can keep it down.  Very Happy 

sorry for being so cheesy. Wink

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Chrissy, I was still reeling from the discussion on the PNJ a couple of weeks ago about Satoshi Forest when I read your comment on another thread that generalized the homeless as "drug addicts, alcoholics....and rapists."

I now understand. It appears you have been through one of the worst experiences a woman can survive:  rape. However, I know you realize that the homeless are no more likely to be rapists than people who live under a roof, just as the homeless are no more likely to be pedophiles than those who live in a house.

The thread on the PNJ included over 100 posts, which is rare for the PNJ these days. Some of the residents of Mayfair, which is close to Satoshi Forest, expressed concern that homeless people might "talk to their children." For that reason, those specific residents of Mayfair wanted Satoshi Forest gone.

Other residents of Mayfair were concerned that Satoshi Forest would lower their property values. This, after the founders of Satoshi Forest removed literally tons of garbage and debris from the nine acre site, including quite a few crack pipes and assorted drug use gear.

All of the posts made by the concerned residents of Mayfair were judgmental. All of them. No compassion; only judgment.

Satoshi Forest came about as a private response to a pronounced lack of sufficient shelter for the homeless population in our area. I suspect the "blanket ordinance" was another contributing factor, but I don't know. Its founders are working with the county to iron out all of the code kinks, and it looks like Satoshi Forest is here to stay. I am glad.

So many people, including a few people who contributed to that thread, seem to think generic "charity" is the answer. It is demonstrably not. During our recent freezing rain and ice event, did you know that NOT ONE CHURCH in Escambia county opened its doors to the homeless? NOT ONE. Yet people continue to believe that supporting a charity, or a church, is enough. It isn't.

I digress here. Your post above was about finding happiness, about the state of being happy. Like you wrote, I am old. With age, I suppose, came the wisdom to know that happiness comes from what we do for others. Happiness comes when we find the courage to act upon our beliefs and our convictions rather than sitting on the sidelines hoping others will step up. Happiness comes from focusing on the world outside ourselves rather than on our own inner turmoil.

I used to think it was the other way around - that easing that inner turmoil was the answer to happiness. That therapy would rid us all of the demons that stand in the way of our happiness. I believed that for decades. I was wrong.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Let's get inspired today! Be happy! :) Aaaaan11

PB. I beleive that if you beleive in something so strong, you should take action. I have lived this way my entire life. Because of the way I was raised. It has made me poorer and it has put me in danger from time to time.

I am not against you or the others helping these people. I have stated so and wished you well. BUt what I said is that I do not care to be around them becuase of my experiance of which I disclosed. They now scare me. If that is wrong and it makes me a bad person to this forum, I dont care. I was already a bad person to this forum lol

I have my charities that I support. and i beleive in them.

I see all of you are in a frenzy about these homeless people. I wonder have you even gone to talk to any of these poeple? other than handing a $ out the window at the red light.

and I disagree, while there may be bad people in homes, there is a reason many of these people are living in the woods. If you go hang out with them a little bit, I can bet you it wont take long to find out why.

build your tent city. march for the homeless. and when pensacola becomes known to the traveling homeless groups as freindly to thier needs. understand if crime goes up and it will,and visitors do not think well of a city full of panhandlers< how fitting.... then dont go crying about it. Say to yourself, we did the right thing .Even if your city disenigrates into a trashy out of control mini detroit.

all I can say at this point is, I sure hope yall get on down there and mingle with these people side by side. yall need to wake up to reality. Because getting involved with these people directly can be extremly dangerous.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yes, Chrissy, I've "mingled" with the homeless personally and in a professional situation. I got to know some of them quite well, in fact.

Let me clarify my personal position with a little anecdotal evidence. I nearly found myself homeless in 2002. With only one year to go on my mortgage, I was having serious financial difficulties. The mortgage company pounced. I was very close to losing everything I worked for all of my life. I didn't know where I was going to go or what to do. Had it not been for a friend who helped me at the last minute, I would have been homeless.

I had been sober for 14 years when I almost became homeless. I remember all too well how that felt.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 2/13/2014, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2 wrote:Yes, Chrissy, I've "mingled" with the homeless personally and in a professional situation. I got to know some of them quite well, in fact.

Let me clarify my personal position with a little anecdotal evidence. I nearly found myself homeless in 2002. With only one year to go on my mortgage, I was having serious financial difficulties. The mortgage company pounced. I was very close to losing everything I worked for all of my life. I didn't know where I was going to go or what to do. Had it not been for a friend who helped me at the last minute, I would have been homeless.

I had been sober for 14 years when I nearly became homeless.

i have been homeless. for years actually. I know what some of these people are like. I prefer to not mingle with them because it is dangerous. It is not my charity of preference so it is up to yall to do this one. I have my own charities.

You wont want bums living under your steps, behind your house or in your house. if any of you say you do, I still call you a liar. Because honestly throughout my entire life, the only people Ive seen except bums are bums themsleves. with very few exceptions.

so you guys go on down there and change that no camping ordinance. and when you have bums camping all over the city, coming to your city and filling up your city, know I really dont care. because I dont live there LOL

and really. this has been beaten to death. I have VERY VALID reasons for being afraid to deal with vagrants. and YOU or anyone one here can not change that because YOU and most likely anyone on here has not had to go through it. so I think it is insensative of yall to continue to harras me because of my fear of this situation.

good luck turning your city into a safe haven for many people who are drug addicts, rapist etc. because theres a reason why those people are in that situation. sure there are a few good ones in there, not many because any half way normal person can get out of that situation if they choose to.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Chrissy, you are not a "bad person", and I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was trying to show you that homelessness can affect anyone.

We all have our charities and causes, and our reasons for supporting the same. I respect your reasons; I only hope you can respect mine.

The Bee Farm was a lot more fun, eh?

PBulldog2 wrote:Chrissy, you are not a "bad person", and I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was trying to show you that homelessness can affect anyone.

We all have our charities and causes, and our reasons for supporting the same. I respect your reasons; I only hope you can respect mine.

The Bee Farm was a lot more fun, eh?

yes, I really had a lot of fun with the bee farm. That was the most fun I had ever had on here.

I just hope you understand my concern with this. I understand how yall feel. proceed with caution. I can only imagine that some of you if you had a teen daughter who was walking down the road and 3 homeless men jumped out from the woods and raped her at knife point, I dont think you would be going down town trying to help them out. That has always been my point.

Im not an advocate of encouraging bad behavior either. You should be instead of marching to have the no camping ordinance removed which would be a bad thing for the city, you should be marching to get someone to open up a shelter. matter of a fact, you guys are very driven it seems on the subject, perhaps teo could sell one of his motor cycles ( or some other generous person ) and rent a place, and then you could write a request for a grant from the gov.

dont yall ruin your city because you dont want to go the extra mile of doing something about the problem.

either way, remember this, many if not most of these people choose to be in the street. Ive had a many tell me this. They have zero responsibility and like it that way.

Good luck

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum