Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

113,000 jobs added in January. Unemployment rate ticks down to 6.6%

+2
Markle
boards of FL
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

boards of FL

boards of FL

And the U6 measure - which conservatives like to use because it is a bigger number - dropped from 13.1% to 12.7%.  That one includes discouraged workers.

Just wanted to go ahead and pre-empt that reply.

Yeah so much improvement.... Not

boards of FL

boards of FL

The private sector actually added 142,000 jobs. The reason the headline number is 113,000 is because we also shed 29,000 government jobs.

So the government shrunk while the private sector expanded.

Lost jobs are lost jobs either way you spin it

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Lost jobs are lost jobs either way you spin it

Wait. Here I thought you were for smaller government. So to clarify, you are against the shedding of any government jobs? It isn't a desired outcome of yours for the government to shrink in size?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Lost jobs are lost jobs either way you spin it

Wait.  Here I thought you were for smaller government.  So to clarify, you are against the shedding of any government jobs?  It isn't a desired outcome of yours for the government to shrink in size?

As you well know, we need at least 200,000 to 250,000 new jobs per month just to keep up with the population growth.

From Zerohedge
So much for the hope of either a surge in January jobs, or a massive upward revision in the December print. Moments ago the January jobs number came out and at 113K, it was a huge miss to the expected 180K, but more importantly, the December number which was expected to be revised much higher was virtually unchanged at 75K, compared to 74K originally. The unemployment rate, which has become largely irrelevant, dipped to 6.6% from 6.7%, just so Obama can get the brownie points for fixing the economy. However, judging by the market reaction this is hardly what the traders think.

[...]

Both the number of unemployed persons, at 10.2 million,
and the unemployment rate, at 6.6 percent, changed little in January. Since October, the jobless rate has decreased by 0.6 percentage point. (See table A-1.)  (See the note and tables B and C for information about the effect of annual population adjustments to the household survey estimates.)

Read more:  http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-07/january-payolls-big-miss-again-113k-below-180k-expected-december-unrevised

Slapping lipstick on that pig didn't work so well did it?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:The unemployment rate, which has become largely irrelevant, dipped to 6.6% from 6.7%, just so Obama can get the brownie points for fixing the economy. However, judging by the market reaction this is hardly what the traders think.

LOL.  Yes.  Let's go have a look at that market reaction!

http://finance.yahoo.com/

113,000 jobs added in January.  Unemployment rate ticks down to 6.6% WVKdtxl

It had to bounce back after the losses it incurred

Real unemployment is somewhere near 20%

boards of FL

boards of FL

Define "real unemployment".

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:The unemployment rate, which has become largely irrelevant, dipped to 6.6% from 6.7%, just so Obama can get the brownie points for fixing the economy. However, judging by the market reaction this is hardly what the traders think.

LOL.  Yes.  Let's go have a look at that market reaction!

http://finance.yahoo.com/

113,000 jobs added in January.  Unemployment rate ticks down to 6.6% WVKdtxl

Curious to see the Progressives celebrating the rich getting richer and even more low and middle income workers lose ground and become unemployed.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:Define "real unemployment".

Definition of 'Underemployment'

A measure of employment and labor utilization in the economy that looks at how well the labor force is being utilized in terms of skills, experience and availability to work. Labor that falls under the underemployment classification includes those workers that are highly skilled but working in low paying jobs, workers that are highly skilled but work in low skill jobs and part-time workers that would prefer to be full-time. This is different from unemployment in that the individual is working but isn't working at their full capability.

Investopedia Says
Investopedia explains 'Underemployment'

For example, an individual with an engineering degree working as a pizza delivery man as his main source of income is considered to be underemployed and underutilized by the economy as he in theory can provide a greater benefit to the overall economy if he were working as an engineer. Also, an individual that is working part-time at an office job instead of full-time is considered underemployed because they are willing to provide more employment, which can increase the overall output.

Currently, from Gallup (I trust you can find Gallup) it is 18.6%.

Jake92

Typical AVOIDING the answer. PD came out with "Real unemployment", boards asked for the definition of real employment, and Markle goes on about underemployment... No wonder the country is in the mess it is.

Q: What kind of car do you drive?? A: A blue one..

knothead

knothead

Jake92 wrote:Typical AVOIDING the answer.  PD came out with "Real unemployment", boards asked for the definition of real employment, and Markle goes on about underemployment...  No wonder the country is in the mess it is.

Q:  What kind of car do you drive??  A:  A blue one..

LOLOL

anyone with half a brain cell needs to consider how these numbers are calculated and how they get them.

household SURVEYS, where? what area? who? what were the exact questions? etc

Then if you READ the link boards posted with this thread you woulld have noticed that they CHANGED the CENSUS data, making the population LARGER. making the population larger makes the % go down.

its fuzzy left math at its best attempt. but only works on those who trust without verification aka sheep.

2seaoat

Math and science.......I only smile.

Markle

Markle

Jake92 wrote:Typical AVOIDING the answer.  PD came out with "Real unemployment", boards asked for the definition of real employment, and Markle goes on about underemployment...  No wonder the country is in the mess it is.

Q:  What kind of car do you drive??  A:  A blue one..

I answered the implied question. As you know, the "real unemployment" number is synonymous with Underemployment. Sorry it is so bad for you and your disastrous monetary policies.

Jake92

Might as well say it's "fake unemployment" since they are working but not at the jobs they want or are qualified for. If there are 1,000 jobs for a certain qualification, WHY train 10,000 people to do them? Does that make the other 9,000 underemployed? Since they don't get a job they are trained for, does that mean the company they want to work for should pay for other training, give them a job anyway, or should the person accept a different job doing something they aren't trained for, even though it pays less? Sounds like it's the person's fault for learning a skill there is not a great need for. Maybe I should go to school for a degree in oceanography, then try getting a job using it in Phoenix, Prescott, or Yuma, AZ, then complain to the govt when I can't get one.

Markle

Markle

Jake92 wrote:Might as well say it's "fake unemployment" since they are working but not at the jobs they want or are qualified for.  If there are 1,000 jobs for a certain qualification, WHY train 10,000 people to do them?  Does that make the other 9,000 underemployed?  Since they don't get a job they are trained for, does that mean the company they want to work for should pay for other training, give them a job anyway, or should the person accept a different job doing something they aren't trained for, even though it pays less?  Sounds like it's the person's fault for learning a skill there is not a great need for.  Maybe I should go to school for a degree in oceanography, then try getting a job using it in Phoenix, Prescott, or Yuma, AZ, then complain to the govt when I can't get one.

113,000 jobs added in January.  Unemployment rate ticks down to 6.6% Crazy

2seaoat wrote:Math and science.......I only smile.

you really should try reading the link that came with this thread. then you MIGHT see the irony here.

Establishment survey data have been revised as a result of the annual benchmarking |
|process and the updating of seasonal adjustment factors. Also, household survey data|
|for January 2014 reflect updated population estimates. See the notes at the end of |
|this release for more information

and

Since October, the jobless rate has decreased by
0.6 percentage point. (See table A-1.) (See the note and tables B and C for information
about the effect of annual population adjustments to the household survey estimates

so this is the best lie they could fuzzy up with the increased employment from the holidays, 1.3 million people fall off unemployment rolls and a increase in the total population? that's pretty damn sad. the only thing sadder is this is the best fuzzy lie they could do and it aint even that good. that should tell you right there had bad it really is.

look around you when you are driving down the road. do you see many empty malls, empty store closed down? talk with your friends and family? these are the best indicators of our economy. not fuzzy math.

Jake92

The Wynn Dixie at Pine Forest and I-10 closed a few months ago along with others that were sold to a different chain and changed names like the one on Barrancas, close to Navy Blvd. Cordova mall was pretty busy yesterday when I went to Best Buy.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:
Jake92 wrote:Might as well say it's "fake unemployment" since they are working but not at the jobs they want or are qualified for.  If there are 1,000 jobs for a certain qualification, WHY train 10,000 people to do them?  Does that make the other 9,000 underemployed?  Since they don't get a job they are trained for, does that mean the company they want to work for should pay for other training, give them a job anyway, or should the person accept a different job doing something they aren't trained for, even though it pays less?  Sounds like it's the person's fault for learning a skill there is not a great need for.  Maybe I should go to school for a degree in oceanography, then try getting a job using it in Phoenix, Prescott, or Yuma, AZ, then complain to the govt when I can't get one.

113,000 jobs added in January.  Unemployment rate ticks down to 6.6% Crazy

Very nice self-caricature, Markle!  Razz

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

There has been too much emphasis in education pushing a four year degree as the be all and end all for job security. We are graduating too many people with four year degrees than can't use them and not enough in technical areas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum