Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Confessions of a Medical Heretic..the book that changed my life...

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Medical-Heretic-Robert-Mendelsohn/dp/0809241315%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0809241315#reader_0809241315

The more I learned about medicine and healthcare and physiology... the more I knew we didn't know yet.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yes Pkr, some men get puffed up very quickly in the little they know on any subject.

No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
Job, 12. 2

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Medical-Heretic-Robert-Mendelsohn/dp/0809241315%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0809241315#reader_0809241315

You're joking.... A part time Doctor who practiced 30 years ago. Brilliant!
Sold 300,000 copies in...30 years.... Wow! And this is what influenced you...easily led I see.

Here is a review of Mendelsohn's first anti-medical book:

Book Review: Confessions of a Medical Heretic (Warner Books, 1980)

Whereas a calm, mature, and scholarly application of professional self-examination can readily uncover many areas for correction or modification in the practice of modern medicine, Robert Mendelsohn chooses instead to take the low road in an apparent effort to use shock therapy for the selling of his very private and dogmatic panaceas. What ensues is a boring and repetitive harangue which attacks frontally the patient-doctor relationship and tries ineffectually to foster a hodge-podge of confused views about the physician as a social and scientific manipulator of the patient's well being.

Confessions of a Medical Heretic aims a litany of indictments at most life-benefiting therapeutics whose occasional side effects are considered grounds for outlawing all pharmacologic research, and essentially all physicians whose motivations, mentality, and training are thought by the author to be perverse, and at an entire health care system which is defamed as being diabolically structured and contrived for patient abuse. Although it can be readily acknowledged that medicine as a profession, like most of society, is peopled by a spectrum from good to bad, it is pathetic to find a physician so negativistic and so obviously laying bare his own lack of professional joy.

If this book were merely one man's diatribe about his own career dissatisfactions and misadventures, it could be passed over as yet another commercial "pop'' paperback. What becomes disturbing, however, is the amount of actual misinformation dispensed on such health tenets as childhood immunizations, fluoridation, the causes of breast cancer, and even the alleged transmission of disease via the use of the stethoscope. It is gratifying that some of us can still recall with satisfaction our exposure to some of the giants of medical education whose wise teachings have never reached this overbearing prophet of gloom.

In truth, this book makes several cogent observations such as the overuse of laboratory procedures by physicians and the now well accepted value of second opinions in order to curb unnecessary surgery. But these few appropriate consumer alerts become diluted to near obscurity by the incessant pleas for the author's two ``cures'' for all ills --- home birthing and breastfeeding. In the case of breastfeeding, medical experts have long ago conceded to its nutritional, emotional, and practical superiority over formula feeding, but this principle hardly requires the monolithic arrogance of a pedant. As for home deliveries in an age of life-saving technology for high-risk pregnancies, the author shows an astounding ignorance of biostatistics.

After nearly decimating all systems and people that make up the rubric of modern medical practice, Dr. Mendelsohn puts forth a naive collection of personal notions, hardly new and mostly ethereal, that constitute his "New Medicine.'' As the replacement for all past medical discovery, including the body thermometer, we are subjected to exhortations that we should all love one another, that the home is the temple of all good things, and that marriage and bearing children will counteract most depressions and other feelings of ill health. Such are the simplistic solutions of a pediatrician who has apparently labored too long in the nursery and not experienced sufficient exposure to the real adult world.

If the author has just now made the discovery that a good physician should be a sensitive and caring person who relates warmly and sincerely to his patient, he has fortunately been preempted long ago by the wise writings and humble teaching of Sir William Osler and Dr. Francis Peabody. If the arrogance of the modern day physician must be exposed and dissected in a constructive manner, so be it -- but I would then refer the reader to the posthumous publication of Dr. Franzingelfinger's gentle but persuasive essay in a recent issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. From such responsible writing should blow the winds to change.

Joseph M. Miller, M.D., M.P.H
ACSH News & Views, March/April, 1981

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mendelson.html

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If someone attacked your profession as a dog casing me around peeing on my leg you would write a bad review also. Now get bad dog go home.

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:If someone attacked your profession as a dog casing me around peeing on my leg you would write a bad review also. Now get bad dog go home.

You might want to edit that so it makes some sense. Or did 5:00 come early today? Truly, if that's a book that influenced you in any way, that's pretty sorry.

Confessions of a Medical Heretic..the book that changed my life... 25b9387d-98a3-4a7c-8780-8c1a95b08103

Now quickly get in the last word!  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Makes perfect sense. This is the sickest developed country in the world. IF the medical profession was worth anything that wouldn't be so. Only 8 people were saved in the ark. So stay on the broad way to destruction, it matters not to me. You are certainly old enough to have learned better by now.

Oh and another great book was None Dare Call it Conspiracy...way ahead of it's time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum