Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

http://chicksontheright.com/posts/item/25292-correcting-grammar-and-spelling-is-racist-you-racist-jerks
--------
Really?

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Don't correct their grammar. Just mark off for their mistakes and give them a flunking grade if they make too many mistakes.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Unbelievable.

amazing.

however there are things like this going on all over the country and the department of justice is leading it.

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhLNpTYFLeOqtCNyTfzz440fo2XlFu4bfNHJynRmx0YXHHdOLNxg

It's all a Republican obstructionist and Bush's fault that grammar is taught in school. They just want to suppress the individuality of other races even though the same is expected of white people.

Just ask Seaoat, FT, and our other supposedly enlightened progressive liberal friends... and quit being a bunch of unenlightened hic's.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfmYCM4CS8o

Very Happy 

It's stupid and if the admin at UCLA doesn't get a handle on it then their diplomas aren't going to be worth the paper they are printed on....I guess we are talking about the state that tried, in the public schools, to teach Ebonics as an official language.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

No worries. Affirmative action will find them work.

Don't expect business correspondence to look the same.

I always assumed the Balkanization of our country would come from outside sources, not those within

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I sincerely doubt the veracity of this claim, but I see it repeated on every right-wing site as if it's gospel. I doubt it. I believe this professor could possibly have been grading papers with a racist eye. It wouldn't be the first time, despite all the protestations here about "liberal" professors. I had such a professor in 2002, who kept ranting about affirmative action and even polled the...integrated...classroom to identify the racists, who were all, BTW, sitting at the back of the class. There were quite a few people who actually held up their hands and identified themselves as racists.

Floridatexan wrote:
I sincerely doubt the veracity of this claim, but I see it repeated on every right-wing site as if it's gospel.  I doubt it.  I believe this professor could possibly have been grading papers with a racist eye.  It wouldn't be the first time, despite all the protestations here about "liberal" professors.  I had such a professor in 2002, who kept ranting about affirmative action and even polled the...integrated...classroom to identify the racists, who were all, BTW, sitting at the back of the class.  There were quite a few people who actually held up their hands and identified themselves as racists.  

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTken27zOW_CYSv8VZxGZC8S5eku4goHRwmSqk4ThFqc-kDSBwF

You forgot to mention that it was the Republican obstructionists and Bush who caused the students to segregate like that thereby causing all those racists sit in the back of the classroom like third class citizens.

How are we supposed to get over our differences if desegregation doesn't happen?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8PC1_3fjvs

Laughing 

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My guess would be that they chose to sit in the back because they weren't very good students.

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5yVAIz7ybV1b-FERga8sRQwzTGthn18YtRL_YHqisE7i4PKDh

Yeah they probably can't speak or write proper English because of the Republican obstructionists and Bush so were sent to the back of the classroom to sit.

*****SARCASTIC CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDch1p4c_M

Laughing 

Floridatexan wrote:
I sincerely doubt the veracity of this claim, but I see it repeated on every right-wing site as if it's gospel.  I doubt it.  I believe this professor could possibly have been grading papers with a racist eye.  It wouldn't be the first time, despite all the protestations here about "liberal" professors.  I had such a professor in 2002, who kept ranting about affirmative action and even polled the...integrated...classroom to identify the racists, who were all, BTW, sitting at the back of the class.  There were quite a few people who actually held up their hands and identified themselves as racists.  

It is, in fact, a valid claim; and is found on some less-than-conservative sites:

HuffPo:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-kruth/ucla-more-speech-is-the-a_b_4620245.html

Inside Higher Ed:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/11/25/ucla-grad-students-stage-sit-during-class-protest-what-they-see-racially-hostile

The OP singled out one aspect of, what appears to be a student protest of percieved injustices against minorities.  Faculty members came to the professor's defense, citing that it was the job of the professor to correct grammatical errors.

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:It is, in fact, a valid claim; and is found on some less-than-conservative sites:

What, specifically, is a valid claim? This thread title? Are you under the belief that UCLA now deems it a racist act if a professor corrects the grammar of a minority?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

OK...read it. Possibly these students could have used a better approach to their perceived problem. But why make such an issue of it? There is no real way to determine whether racism was an issue in the classroom or in grading. And it's a convenient way to cast aspersions at black students in academia. Otherwise, except for the fact that every single right-wing site picked it up and made it a national issue, who cares? It's an internal problem for the school to handle...not the public...unless you're one of those who want to express outrage over any issue in which you can display your racial bias.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

OK...read it. Possibly these students could have used a better approach to their perceived problem. But why make such an issue of it? There is no real way to determine whether racism was an issue in the classroom or in grading. And it's a convenient way to cast aspersions at black students in academia. Otherwise, except for the fact that every single right-wing site picked it up and made it a national issue, who cares? It's an internal problem for the school to handle...not the public...unless you're one of those who want to express outrage over any issue in which you can display your racial bias.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Damaged Eagle wrote:It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5yVAIz7ybV1b-FERga8sRQwzTGthn18YtRL_YHqisE7i4PKDh

Yeah they probably can't speak or write proper English because of the Republican obstructionists and Bush so were sent to the back of the classroom to sit.

Laughing 

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Bush_bookupsidedown

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA 23445GB

Floridatexan wrote:OK...read it. Possibly these students could have used a better approach to their perceived problem. But why make such an issue of it? There is no real way to determine whether racism was an issue in the classroom or in grading. And it's a convenient way to cast aspersions at black students in academia. Otherwise, except for the fact that every single right-wing site picked it up and made it a national issue, who cares? It's an internal problem for the school to handle...not the public...unless you're one of those who want to express outrage over any issue in which you can display your racial bias.

The students made it an issue. No, you didn't read it obviously.

Where's the assertion that there's no way to substantiate the claim? There must be records... simple enough to prove.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

FT, I like you, really. Please don't be offended if I save your post .

It's just bound to come up again against the right.

FT, Dreams, Sal.....they are so full of "White Guilt" that they look to blame Caucasians at any chance they get....you'd think that their ancestors owned huge plantations where slaves were mistreated and they are trying to make up for it now. Contrary to popular belief, most white people didn't own slaves. Only the privileged few...

Floridatexan wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

Laughing 

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Bush_bookupsidedown

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA 23445GB

It's now racist to teach proper grammar to minority students at UCLA Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD6LFujk0i8RF-ac24ZHKLKhGjJHBmV2cEXv6abeELQ-9idpel

We already know that in your mind those thar' Republican obstructionists and Bush don't know how to speak correctly much less what way to hold a book. That's why they sit in the back of the classroom... What's your point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFM9MmD_Mk

Laughing 

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Where's the assertion that there's no way to substantiate the claim? There must be records... simple enough to prove.

If people can no longer read and comprehend the meaning of a fairly straightforward article, there is no hope.

PkrBum, which statement best summarizes the article?:

A) UCLA now deems it a racist act if a professor corrects the grammar of a minority student.

B) A student group staged a protest during the class of a professor whom they thought was committing an act of racism in correcting a grammatical error.

Boards .... Quit acting as if you don't understand the actual ramifications of this whole story and what it means to higher education

Besides, not everyone is university material anyhow

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum