Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If you get unlucky during the freeze to burst a pipe consider using a compression coupling

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

They make them for all types of pipe galvanized, Cpvc, etc.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Mr Ichi wrote:They make them for all types of pipe galvanized, Cpvc, etc.

HG, after watching the video, I noticed that he stated this compression coupling was good for low and medium pressure lines. That being the case, it would no be useful if a water line under the house cracked,would it?

2seaoat

HG, after watching the video, I noticed that he stated this compression coupling was good for low and medium pressure lines. That being the case, it would no be useful if a water line under the house cracked,would it?

Why would the pressure be greater under a house?

Also, with all due respect to Hallmark, a temporary fix of a frozen pipe should be done with an exterior pressure bladder or clamp. They are readily available at your local ace hardware, and to crawl under your house in the cold and FIX the leak in cold weather is rather silly. It takes thirty seconds to clamp a broken pipe and it will work for weeks until the weather cooperates. Keep your water pipes slightly running with a flow a little above a drip and you will not have a problem.
This one type of clamp, I use a rubber bladder and a three inch metal formed exterior pipe clamp.....they work perfect.

Good point about the pressure but most house water pressures around here are around 60 psi.  They will hold much more.  The advantage is they can be used if you have to cut out a section of pipe. Lots of ways to skin a cat, this is just one of them.

This one from Home depot is rated at 100 psi
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Global-3-4-in-PVC-Compression-Coupling

SPECIFICATIONS

Assembled Depth (in.) 5.5 in Assembled Height (in.) 2.13 in
Assembled Width (in.) 2.13 in Compatible pipe material PVC
Connection Compression Fitting 1 size 3/4"
Fitting 2 size 3/4" Fitting or Connector Type Adapter or Coupling
Manufacturer Warranty 1 YEAR Material PVC
Material PVC Maximum working pressure (psi) 100.0
Pipe or Fitting Product Type Fittings & Connectors Product Height (in.) 2.13 in
Product Length (in.) 5.5 in Product Weight (lb.) 0.35 lb
Product Width (in.) 2.13 in

Trying to replace a PVC fitting and the water keeps dripping out and messing up the glue? Stuff a small ball of bread in the line and you will have enough time to effect the repair. I am a pipe fitter and not a plumber, there is a difference. lol They make a kit where you can freeze a line to stop the flow and make repairs. Novel idea.
Pipe Freezing Tool Avoids the Cost and Inconvenience of a System Shutdown and Purge.

The SuperFreeze Pipe Freezer is an easy-to-use pipe freezing unit that allows the contractor to keep water systems operating while making repairs. The RIDGID Model SF-2500 is a mini-refrigeration unit that circulates self-contained refrigerant to its aluminum freeze heads. This forms an ice plug in as little as 6 minutes in 1⁄2" (12 mm) copper tube and can be used with up to 2 1⁄2" (65 mm) tube or 2" (50 mm) steel pipe. Once the pipe is plugged, repairs can be made while the ice plug is maintained by the unit. Now includes a bottle of specially formulated freeze gel to speed freezing. Apply the gel to freeze heads before placing on pipe.

Shark Bite fittings are also a good way to go.  they make many different type for various uses..

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/

2seaoat

Again, in freezing temps you want to apply a simple frozen pipe clamp, and all the cutting and other plumbing work, you might as well permanently fix the leak which in really cold weather is why they invented the clamps.

Cold is not the only thing that bursts pipes. Just a few thoughts I would pass on. Do it the easy way  Call a Plumber.  LOL

2seaoat

Cold is not the only thing that bursts pipes. Just a few thoughts I would pass on. Do it the easy way Call a Plumber. LOL

I am probably there......but a clamp is so easy even in my state I can do it.

Maybe a better question is "Do you know how to turn your water supply off or isolate the different systems in your house?

2seaoat

Maybe a better question is "Do you know how to turn your water supply off or isolate the different systems in your house?

I have plumbed the last three homes and I always have zone shut offs beyond the master shutoff. It is so simple to anticipate a plumbing problem, and with zone shut offs allow the rest of the home to remain the same when doing a plumbing repair.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Mr Ichi wrote:Maybe a better question is "Do you know how to turn your water supply off or isolate the different systems in your house?

As a matter of fact I do. I even bought a T-wrench to facilitate this task if I ever have too. I do turn off my water to the whole house if I am going to be gone for an extended period of time.

Ghost Rider wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:Maybe a better question is "Do you know how to turn your water supply off or isolate the different systems in your house?

As a matter of fact I do. I even bought a T-wrench to facilitate this task if I ever have too. I do turn off my water to the whole house if I am going to be gone for an extended period of time.

You are a smart man.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

2seaoat wrote:Again, in freezing temps you want to apply a simple frozen pipe clamp, and all the cutting and other plumbing work, you might as well permanently fix the leak which in really cold weather is why they invented the clamps.

I do other work outside when it is cold, why not crawl under a house to make a temporary or permanent fix on a water line.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Mr Ichi wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

You are a smart man.

I used to own a home that was plumbed with polybutelene pipes. I went on vacation one year and when i came home, it was flooded. At the time, there was a class action suit against Shell which I entered. They re-plumbed the whole house with copper, repaired all flooring, wallboard and wallpaper. Fortunately no appliances or electronics were damaged. The amount of money that I received above the repair costs was almost $2000.00.

That taught me a lesson, I now always shut the water off at the meter before I leave home for any extended period.

The supply hoses to your washing machine can burst and cause a lot of damage. Luckily they sell very good ones that minimize that issue. I have replace mine with the supposedly "Burst proof" hoses.

RottiesRule

I think people in Northern climates have better piping designs for houses.
They are smart enough to have a water cut off valve in the home.
My house was built in 2001 and I have to go to the ECUA gate box, dig around in dirt, cob webs and God knows what to cut off water.

polecat

polecat

Leak Ender 2000

RottiesRule wrote:
I think people in Northern climates have better piping designs for houses.
They are smart enough to have a water cut off valve in the home.
My house was built in 2001 and I have to go to the ECUA gate box, dig around in dirt, cob webs and God knows what to cut off water.

LOL Correct.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum