Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HOW REAGAN SOWED THE SEEDS OF AMERICA'S DEMISE

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/articles/recession_cause.htm

This is a long article but surely worth the time it takes to read, because it clearly exposes the theft that has been going on in this country since the "Reagan Revolution", which was and still is a steaming heap of caca.

"It has been over a year now since "The Great Recession" officially began, and yet even a basic understanding of the real causes of America's economic problems has still not emerged in the public. Indeed new movements have emerged touting as solutions to our current economic problems many of the very policy ideas that are actually the causes of our current economic problems. The rallying cry of conservatives across America has been a "return to the policies of Reagan!" The claim of many American conservatives has been that Ronald Reagan faced similar economic conditions when he was elected, and he was able to turn the economy around, so we need to return to the principles he used to reinvigorate the American economy.

The reality is that the economic policies of the "Reagan Revolution" have been in effect for the past three decades, and it is these very policies that have caused the economic situation that America finds itself in today.

During his first presidential campaign Ronald Reagan campaigned against government spending, he campaigned on reducing the national debt, he campaigned for individual responsibility, and he campaigned for broader American capital ownership.

The effects of his policies, however, had all of the exact opposite effects, and yet amazingly even today the vast majority of all Americans, especially conservatives, still believe Reagan's rhetoric and not the real effects of his policies.

In 1980 Reagan campaigned against what he called "out of control" deficit spending by the federal government. He identified the source of this "out of control" spending largely as social welfare programs. Shortly after taking office in 1981 Reagan gave a televised speech to the country in which he stated:

"By 1960 our national debt stood at $284 billion. Congress in 1971 decided to put a ceiling of 400 billion on our ability to borrow. Today the debt is 934 billion. ...

Here you see two trend lines. The bottom line shows the increase in tax revenues. The red line on top is the increase in government spending. Both lines turn upward, reflecting the giant tax increase already built into the system for this year 1981, and the increases in spending built into the '81 and '82 budgets and on into the future. As you can see, the spending line rises at a steeper slant than the revenue line. And that gap between those lines illustrates the increasing deficits we've been running, including this year's $80 billion deficit. Now, in the second chart, the lines represent the positive effects when Congress accepts our economic program. Both lines continue to rise, allowing for necessary growth, but the gap narrows as spending cuts continue over the next few years until finally the two lines come together, meaning a balanced budget. I am confident that my administration can achieve that. At that point tax revenues, in spite of rate reductions, will be increasing faster than spending, which means we can look forward to further reductions in the tax rates....

Our aim is to increase our national wealth so all will have more, not just redistribute what we already have which is just a sharing of scarcity. We can begin to reward hard work and risk-taking, by forcing this Government to live within its means. Over the years we've let negative economic forces run out of control. We stalled the judgment day, but we no longer have that luxury. We're out of time. ...

We can leave our children with an unrepayable massive debt and a shattered economy, or we can leave them liberty in a land where every individual has the opportunity to be whatever God intended us to be. All it takes is a little common sense and recognition of our own ability. Together we can forge a new beginning for America."
- Ronald Reagan: Address to the Nation on the Economy, Feb. 5, 1981

The irony of this speech is that the national debt was not out of control at all in 1981, in fact the national debt was at the lowest point it has ever been since World War II in 1980. In the speech Reagan cited national debt figures in raw dollar amounts, unadjusted for inflation and not tied to GDP. Those figures are essentially worthless and no economist would ever use them as a measure of the national debt. But presenting the national debt as a problem was a means of justifying significant cuts in domestic spending, which he framed as "redistribution"..."  (and redistribute he did.) Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

Jim Hightower calls it "tinkle down"...aptly.  I am so tired of people supporting what is essentially insane and counterproductive behavior by politicians, talking heads and financial "gurus".

Boards...I would love to hear your input. Seaoat as well. I appreciate your honesty, and I know you "get it", as, thank God, does the majority of the electorate, even if they don't understand the underlying causes.

Just a hit job on one of the greater POTUS ever

Thank goodness our president is determined to not let this out-of-control increase in the National Debt:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I, therefore, intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt."... from his 2006 speech on the debt limit.

Oh wait, Obama has raised the National Debt by over $6T --- that's $6,000,000,000,000 --- more than any other president!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Reagan was not the 'greatest president ever.' I am sorry I voted for him twice. He is the one who showed our government back in 1982 how it could get away with unbridled deficit spending. My only wish is that the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Deficit Reduction Act of 1985 had bore some teeth. It would have stopped Reagan in his tracks and every other politician, Republican or Democrat following him, would have been forced to take a different path.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Just a hit job on one of the greater POTUS ever

Let's just guess here...you didn't read the article.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

colaguy wrote:Thank goodness our president is determined to not let this out-of-control increase in the National Debt:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I, therefore, intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt."... from his 2006 speech on the debt limit.

Oh wait, Obama has raised the National Debt by over $6T --- that's $6,000,000,000,000 --- more than any other president!

What exactly did you expect him to do (or anyone else for that matter) after 8 long disastrous years of Bushonomics resulting in the near collapse of the economy and necessitating (some say) a "bailout" of the banks, insurance companies and Wall Street...the very perpetrators of the excesses that led to the economic crash?

I hope that one day you will be able to objectively analyze the promises/causes and effects/results of all of the govt policies/solutions/interventions. The world wouldn't have ended if the chips were allowed to fall where they may... in fact we the people would've wound up in better long run shape in my opinion... and the bank/corp failures might have/ should have been a lesson to them and the policies that allowed such flawed leverage. Instead the banks/corps were able to hold those toxic assets and trickle them back onto a propped up and manipulated market... nothing free market about it.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I read the article, FT. It was excellent, and is exactly the way it happened. Reagan's "miracle" was an illusion, propped up by the largest deficits created since the end of World War II, 35 years before he was elected. It is a shame that every president since Reagan, to include all Republicans and Democrats (including Barrack Obama), have chosen to follow Reagan's example. But, Reagan was the one who showed everyone else how it could be done.

You forgot to post the photo from the article. It is a good one about Reagan:

HOW REAGAN SOWED THE SEEDS OF AMERICA'S DEMISE Reagan_economy

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Thanks, Z...yes, it is...because it's almost prescient, although the illustration was obviously the opposite of what was intended.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PkrBum wrote:I hope that one day you will be able to objectively analyze the promises/causes and effects/results of all of the govt policies/solutions/interventions. The world wouldn't have ended if the chips were allowed to fall where they may... in fact we the people would've wound up in better long run shape in my opinion... and the bank/corp failures might have/ should have been a lesson to them and the policies that allowed such flawed leverage. Instead the banks/corps were able to hold those toxic assets and trickle them back onto a propped up and manipulated market... nothing free market about it.

Nailed it.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

stormwatch89 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I hope that one day you will be able to objectively analyze the promises/causes and effects/results of all of the govt policies/solutions/interventions. The world wouldn't have ended if the chips were allowed to fall where they may... in fact we the people would've wound up in better long run shape in my opinion... and the bank/corp failures might have/ should have been a lesson to them and the policies that allowed such flawed leverage. Instead the banks/corps were able to hold those toxic assets and trickle them back onto a propped up and manipulated market... nothing free market about it.

Nailed it.

I agree. The bank bailouts were a travesty. One that could have been averted, if only others had listened to those who were speaking out at the time, like Brooksley Born:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1302794657/

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:

Nailed it.

I agree.  The bank bailouts were a travesty.  One that could have been averted, if only others had listened to those who were speaking out at the time, like Brooksley Born:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1302794657/

You are such a terrific foil.  Either that or a slow learner.

Yes, they could have been avoided and here's why.  But they did repay the loans, with interest.  Something the auto companies have not done, are now free from paying corporate taxes and we have one fewer American auto makers.

Just to remind all our FRIENDS from the far left, the responsibility for this mess lies with Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.  AND WITH REPUBLICANS for backing off every time Barney Frank and his cronies played…THE RACE CARD!  The housing bubble is what led to the downfall and that was driven by Democrats, starting with Jimmy Carter and hugely expanded by Bill Clinton. Here are the facts, once again, for you to ignore, put your fingers in your ears and scream la la la la la as loud as you can like screaming little girls.

HUD TO FIGHT DISCRIMINATION, BOOST MINORITY HOMEOWNERSHIP AND WORK WITH URBAN LEAGUE TO FURTHER GOALS
August 5, 1997

http://archives.hud.gov/news/1997/pr97-135.cfm

New York Times -  1999
Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending -
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html

President Bush’s and the Administrations Unheeded Warnings About the Systemic Risk Posed by the GSEs – Fannie and Freddie dating back to 2001
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2008/09/20080919-15.html

By Elliot Blair Smith,
USA TODAY
Fannie Mae to pay $400 million fine
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&refer=columnist_hassett&sid=aSKSoiNbnQY0

Franklin Raines was
Director of the Office of Management and Budget under Clinton and returned to Fannie Mae as its CEO in 1999.  Raines is not a “chief” economic adviser for President Barack Hussein Obama but has advised the administration on mortgage and housing matters.  Obama had hired another former Fannie CEO, Jim Johnson as a member of Obama’s V.P. search committee and who was forced to quit under fire.

Bloomberg News -
How the Democrats Created the Financial Crisis -
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&refer=columnist_hassett&sid=aSKSoiNbnQY0

Democrats in their own words covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqYY72PeRM

Timeline shows Bush, McCain warning Democrats of Financial Crisis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM&feature=related

From the New York Times 
New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae
By STEPHEN LABATON
Published: September 11, 2003 WASHINGTON,

Sept. 10— The Bush administration today recommended the most significant regulatory overhaul in the housing finance industry since the savings and loan crisis a decade ago.

Under the plan, disclosed at a Congressional hearing today, a new agency would be created within the Treasury Department to assume supervision of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored companies that are the two largest players in the mortgage lending industry.

The new agency would have the authority, which now rests with Congress, to set one of the two capital-reserve requirements for the companies. It would exercise authority over any new lines of business. And it would determine whether the two are adequately managing the risks of their ballooning portfolios.

The plan is an acknowledgment by the administration that oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- which together have issued more than $1.5 trillion in outstanding debt -- is broken. A report by outside investigators in July concluded that Freddie Mac manipulated its accounting to mislead investors, and critics have said Fannie Mae does not adequately hedge against rising interest rates.

Read more:  http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/business/new-agency-proposed-to-oversee-freddie-mac-and-fannie-mae.html

[…]

###

From USNews and World Report

Barney Frank's Fannie and Freddie Muddle

By Sam Dealey

September 10, 2008

[…]

So five years ago, there was one of those rare moments in Washington when the branches and personalities of government—in this case, the Bush administration—are less interested in protecting or expanding their turf than in fixing a looming catastrophe. What was Frank's response to the proposal?

''These two entities -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are not facing any kind of financial crisis,'' said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ''The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.'' 

[…]

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/sam-dealey/2008/09/10/barney-franks-fannie-and-freddie-muddle

Wall Street Journal Barney’s Rubble – September 17, 2008

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB122161010874845645

Barney Frank in 2005: What Housing Bubble?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW5qKYfqALE

Maxine Waters & Barney Frank - Then Vs. Now -
http://tinyurl.com/ykcjm4a

Steve Kroft On Credit Default Swaps And Their Central Role In The Unfolding Economic Crisis -
http://tinyurl.com/yk8etks

All this, in addition to the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act by President William Jefferson Clinton caused the meltdown. 

It COULD have been stopped or greatly reduced.  Democrats fought that every step of the way and the Republicans wilted under the barrage of being called racist and worse.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

"It COULD have been stopped or greatly reduced.  Democrats fought that every step of the way and the Republicans wilted under the barrage of being called racist and worse."

HOW REAGAN SOWED THE SEEDS OF AMERICA'S DEMISE 6a00d83451bab869e20120a6fbb792970b-pi

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:"It COULD have been stopped or greatly reduced.  Democrats fought that every step of the way and the Republicans wilted under the barrage of being called racist and worse."

HOW REAGAN SOWED THE SEEDS OF AMERICA'S DEMISE 6a00d83451bab89e20120a6fbb792970b-pi

And nothing to support your childish post.

THANKS! You're a terrific foil!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

And you're teaching real estate? Give me a break; you're either totally stupid or intentionally disingenuous.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
And you're teaching real estate?  Give me a break; you're either totally stupid or intentionally disingenuous.  

Once again, which of those links I posted are NOT true and mostly from the lips of the subject?

Since you cannot dispute anything I posted, you continue to make childish attempts to personally attack me. Why is that?

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan...once again for your very, very reluctant edification.

President Ronald Reagan's fiscal policies lead more than TWENTY FIVE YEARS of economic prosperity and low unemployment?

Progressives should remember that the inflation rate was 13.5% when President Reagan took office. As Progressives SHOULD KNOW, that rate hurts low and middle income earners the most. It was 4.14% the year he left office. Thirty year mortgage rates were 16.6% [They reached over 18%] when Reagan took office (Progressives calculate your mortgage balance at THAT rate), how many homes can be sold at 18% interest. It was 10.32% when he left, sky high by today’s standards but a drastic improvement. The Top Tax Rate was 70% when he took office and 28% when he left.

REVENUES, as a result of those cuts nearly DOUBLED in that decade. The National Debt increased, due to Democrat spending, from $900 BILLION to $2.6 TRILLION over EIGHT YEARS. That is a far smaller increase over EIGHT YEARS than President Barack Hussein Obama has done to us in 2 ½ years, PLUS a projected DEFICIT for 2012 of $1.3 TRILLION!

Unemployment was rapidly increasing when Reagan took office and reached an annual average of 9.7% (10.8% November/December of 1982) his second year before the tax cuts went into effect. After the tax rate cuts, unemployment dropped steadily to 5.3% his last year in office.

Why would Progressives…”mislead”… about these FACTS? Think we had forgotten?

###

I too remember it extremely well. I was selling real estate during Richard Nixon (remember price controls), Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Herbert Walker Bush, William Clinton, George Walker Bush and last, and certainly least Barack Hussein Obama.

We had a usury law here in Florida and mortgages, during the Carter administration could not exceed 10%. Lenders could not fund loans at that rate and stopped closing loans. I went into mortgage companies and loan officers were playing chess in the lobby. They would frankly tell you that they could take the loan application but they could not fund the loan. The usury law was lifted and they began making loans. We had all manner of creative financing.

Let's see, a $100,000 mortgage, in 1981 reached 18%. It was cheaper to put it on your credit card. Payments, for principal and interest only was $1,507.00 per month PLUS taxes and insurance. Reaching very close to $2,000.00 per month. At the end of his term, mortgage rates were just edging UNDER 10% but let's use 10%. At that rate, the payment was more than 40% less than what they were when he took office, $877.57 and with taxes and insurance the same, the total PITI was $1,294.00.

If President Ronald Reagan's fiscal policies were so bad, why did they lead more than TWENTY YEARS of economic prosperity and low unemployment?

As you know too, it was the Democrats, led by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd who forced banks to make riskier and riskier loans all the while telling us that Fannie and Freddie were doing fine.

Keep up the good work, you are amusing I'll give you that!

knothead

knothead

I believe RR policies were possibly the worst thing that ever happened to this country . . . he did not have a clue!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:I believe RR policies were possibly the worst thing that ever happened to this country . . . he did not have a clue!  

Reagan's "miracle" came at the expense of future generations and prosperity. He knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he was elected on the premise of shrinking government and cutting spending, railing against Jimmy Carter, who wanted to run a $40 billion deficit in 1981. What did Reagan do? The exact opposite of what he promised: (1) he ran a $129 billion deficit his first year; (2) grew the government exponentially, especially for the defense department. True fiscal conservatives tried to counter Reagan's dangerously growing deficits with the 1985 Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Deficit Reduction Act, but the old-fox found a way around it.

The Reagan deficits, and all deficits following his were never the sole fault of Democrats; a foil frequently used by our uber-wingnut friend Markle. The Republican Party is full of Big Government spenders. Just try and cut a corporate-welfare subsidy to a favored GOP campaign contributor and watch the whining begin.

Reagan showed American politics how you could cut taxes, run a deficit to cover your spending priorities (and even grow the government), blame the other party for the fiscal mess created by this, and kick the can toward the unborn. Unfortunately, every president following Reagan, from either party, has continued down this same path.  

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:I believe RR policies were possibly the worst thing that ever happened to this country . . . he did not have a clue!  

What you believe and what are the facts are obviously two very different things.

President Ronald Reagan's policies led to more than a quarter century of economic growth.

As opposed to the policies of President Barack Hussein Obama who, FOUR years after the recession ended is still begging for EMERGENCY unemployment extensions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum