Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Busting zvugs bubble on high fructose corn syrup

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://m.sweetsurprise.com/hfcs-myths-vs-facts#9

HFCS Myths

You’ve probably seen the negative headlines about high fructose corn syrup. Have you ever wondered if the media hype is true? Let us dispel some of the HFCS myths. Here are some of the most common inaccurate statements about this misunderstood sweetener along with the actual reality.

More
+Myth: Sugar is healthier than high fructose corn syrup.

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup is to blame for obesity and diabetes.

“”

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup is not natural.

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup is sweeter than sugar.

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup is high in fructose.

More
+Myth: Studies conducted with pure fructose can be applied to high fructose corn syrup.

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup is metabolized differently and blocks the body’s ability to know when it is full.

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup contains DNA from genetically modified corn.

More
+Myth: High fructose corn syrup is banned in the European Union.

Hide -Myth: High fructose corn syrup is subsidized.

Reality: Wrong. Manufacturers of high fructose corn syrup do not receive government subsidies. Contrary to what you may have heard, high fructose corn syrup is not a protected commodity. Rather, it is subject to all of the highs and lows of marketplace supply and demand. The corn used to make high fructose corn syrup is purchased on the open market and is subject to trade activity at the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT). The only caloric sweeteners that benefit directly from government support programs in the United States are sugar and honey. While the U.S. Department of Agriculture does not regulate high fructose corn syrup prices or control supply, the Farm Bill provides a safety net to certain corn farmers in the United States if the crop price falls below certain levels. This supports corn growers, not corn refiners. Refiners of these commodities do not receive any government support.

Last edited by PACEDOG#1 on 12/30/2013, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/dec2008_Metabolic-Dangers-of-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup_01.htm

By Dana Flavin, MS, MD, PHD
Metabolic Danger of High-Fructose Corn Syrup

"Americans are being poisoned by a common additive present in a wide array of processed foods like soft drinks and salad dressings, commercially made cakes and cookies, and breakfast cereals and brand-name breads.

This commonplace additive silently increases our risk of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and atherosclerosis.

The name of this toxic additive is high-fructose corn syrup. It is so ubiquitous in processed foods and so over-consumed by the average American that many experts believe our nation faces the prospect of an epidemic of metabolic disease in the future, related in significant degree to excess consumption of high-fructose corn syrup.

The food industry has long known that “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way.” And cane sugar had been America’s most delightful sweetener of choice, that is, until the 1970s, when the much less expensive corn-derived sweeteners like maltodextrin and high-fructose corn syrup were developed. While regular table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, high-fructose corn syrup can contain up to 80% fructose and 20% glucose, almost twice the fructose of common table sugar. Both table sugar and high-fructose sweetener contain four calories per gram, so calories alone are not the key problem with high-fructose corn syrup. Rather, metabolism of excess amounts of fructose is the major concern.

The alarming rise in diseases related to poor lifestyle habits has been mirrored by an equally dramatic increase in fructose consumption, particularly in the form of the corn-derived sweetener, high-fructose corn syrup. In this article, we’ll examine the evidence for these associations, and we’ll attempt to determine if high-fructose corn syrup is a benign food additive, as the sweetener industry has lobbied us (and the FDA) to believe, or a dangerously overlooked threat to public health..."

"... between 1970 and 1990, the annual intake of HFCS increased by more than 1,000%, greatly exceeding the change in intake of any other food or food group. High-fructose corn syrup is now the primary caloric sweetener added to soft drinks in the United States, and comprises more than 40% of caloric sweeteners added to foods and beverages..."

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: HEALTH-DAMAGING EFFECTS OF EXCESS DIETARY FRUCTOSE

Dietary intake of fructose, particularly in the form of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), has dramatically increased in the US in recent decades. Increased HFCS consumption has paralleled increasing rates of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and other conditions associated with poor lifestyle habits.

High-fructose corn syrup is found in sweetened carbonated soft drinks as well as in many packaged foods such as cakes, cookies, jams, jellies, and crackers.

Excess fructose intake has been associated with adverse health effects such as metabolic syndrome, elevated triglyceride levels, hypertension, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, excess uric acid levels (associated with gout), and elevated levels of advanced glycation end products (AGEs; linked with aging and complications of diabetes).

Minimizing intake of dietary fructose is essential to mitigating its potentially dangerous effects. Sources of dietary fructose include HFCS, fruit juices, honey, and table sugar (sucrose; comprising fructose and glucose).

Targeted nutritional strategies can help avert some of the damaging effects of excess fructose intake. Beneficial nutrients include benfotiamine, alpha-lipoic acid, carnosine, pyridoxamine, acetyl-L-carnitine, vitamin C, and fish oil.

---------------------------

Unless you specifically shop for items without it, HFCS is in ketchup, Miracle Whip, table syrup, of course most "soft drinks", and many processed foods.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That's okay, PeeDog. Consume all of the HFCS you want. Hopefully, the stuff you consume will be made with mercury-grade caustic soda, instead of membrane-grade caustic soda. The residual mercury that leaches into the HFCS syrup won't do much more damage to you, since you are already brain-dead.  Razz

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 12/30/2013, 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/dec2008_Metabolic-Dangers-of-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup_01.htm

"Americans are being poisoned by a common additive present in a wide array of processed foods like soft drinks and salad dressings, commercially made cakes and cookies, and breakfast cereals and brand-name breads.

This commonplace additive silently increases our risk of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and atherosclerosis.

The name of this toxic additive is high-fructose corn syrup. It is so ubiquitous in processed foods and so over-consumed by the average American that many experts believe our nation faces the prospect of an epidemic of metabolic disease in the future, related in significant degree to excess consumption of high-fructose corn syrup.

The food industry has long known that “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way.” And cane sugar had been America’s most delightful sweetener of choice, that is, until the 1970s, when the much less expensive corn-derived sweeteners like maltodextrin and high-fructose corn syrup were developed. While regular table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, high-fructose corn syrup can contain up to 80% fructose and 20% glucose, almost twice the fructose of common table sugar. Both table sugar and high-fructose sweetener contain four calories per gram, so calories alone are not the key problem with high-fructose corn syrup. Rather, metabolism of excess amounts of fructose is the major concern.

The alarming rise in diseases related to poor lifestyle habits has been mirrored by an equally dramatic increase in fructose consumption, particularly in the form of the corn-derived sweetener, high-fructose corn syrup.  In this article, we’ll examine the evidence for these associations, and we’ll attempt to determine if high-fructose corn syrup is a benign food additive, as the sweetener industry has lobbied us (and the FDA) to believe, or a dangerously overlooked threat to public health..."

"... between 1970 and 1990, the annual intake of HFCS increased by more than 1,000%, greatly exceeding the change in intake of any other food or food group. High-fructose corn syrup is now the primary caloric sweetener added to soft drinks in the United States, and comprises more than 40% of caloric sweeteners added to foods and beverages..."

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: HEALTH-DAMAGING EFFECTS OF EXCESS DIETARY FRUCTOSE

Dietary intake of fructose, particularly in the form of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), has dramatically increased in the US in recent decades. Increased HFCS consumption has paralleled increasing rates of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and other conditions associated with poor lifestyle habits.

High-fructose corn syrup is found in sweetened carbonated soft drinks as well as in many packaged foods such as cakes, cookies, jams, jellies, and crackers.

Excess fructose intake has been associated with adverse health effects such as metabolic syndrome, elevated triglyceride levels, hypertension, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, excess uric acid levels (associated with gout), and elevated levels of advanced glycation end products (AGEs; linked with aging and complications of diabetes).

Minimizing intake of dietary fructose is essential to mitigating its potentially dangerous effects. Sources of dietary fructose include HFCS, fruit juices, honey, and table sugar (sucrose; comprising fructose and glucose).

Targeted nutritional strategies can help avert some of the damaging effects of excess fructose intake. Beneficial nutrients include benfotiamine, alpha-lipoic acid, carnosine, pyridoxamine, acetyl-L-carnitine, vitamin C, and fish oil.

Unless you specifically shop for items without it, HFCS is in ketchup, Miracle Whip, table syrup, of course most "soft drinks", and many processed foods.  

Darn it, FT, now you are going to make me go on the wagon again. I have been slipping since Halloween. I just love chocolate too much is all....

Blah blah blah

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Chocolate is good in moderation, Z, especially the dark kind...good for the heart. My sister is diabetic. She buys chocolate sweetened with stevia. Don't give up your chocolate. But do stop drinking sodas. The only one I ever have in the house is ginger ale...and that's rare. Too many empty calories, for one thing...plus I'm sure you know you can clean your battery terminals with coke.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:

ANOTHER of your whacko sources.

THE most important text from YOUR SOURCE.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. You should not stop taking any medication without first consulting your physician.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Stick with politics, Markle...snap, oh, wait...

PeeDog's "source" is propaganda put out by the Corn Refiners Association and includes the TV spots we've all seen...it's a pushback from a lucrative industry more concerned with profits than safety.

http://cleanerplateclub.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/sweet-surprise-the-corn-industry-apparently-doesnt-know-whats-wrong-with-high-fructose-corn-syrup-but-i-do/

Oh, makers of high fructose corn syrup. You’re funny. You really are. But here’s what I can’t figure out: are you evil? Or just really, really stupid?

Perhaps you have seen these new ads from the Corn Refiners’ Association, promoting the “sweet surprise” that is high fructose corn syrup:

In each of these ads, you’ll note that there is a conversation that goes something like this:

“Here, try this non-food product.”

“I don’t want to eat that nasty crap. It’s got high fructose corn syrup. And you know what they say about high fructose corn syrup.”

“No…my nutritionally-devoid diet has turned me into a moron, plus I have lived in a darkened cave for the last decade. What do they say?”

…and then the person who didn’t want the HFCS is speechless. Like, gee whiz, now that you mention it, I can’t think of a single thing that’s wrong with it!

Maybe they can’t. But I can.

HFCS folks, allow me to answer the question that your cast members could not — perhaps because they were being paid hefty sums of money out of your multi-million dollar budget, or perhaps because their junk food-addled brains can’t manage a simple Google search.

Americans consume high fructose corn syrup to the tune of a whopping 63 pounds a year. It’s in everything. Not just sodas and ice cream and Pop Tarts, like you’d expect, but also in breakfast cereals, tomato sauce, nearly all breads, Shake ‘n Bake, granola bars, ketchup, crackers, cough syrups, dill pickles, frozen pizzas, meats, marinades, and more. Why is it there? Because it adds flavor, browns bread, helps processed foods keep longer on the shelves, and — thanks to sugar tariffs and corn subsidies — is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Here’s the problem with all of that:

1. HFCS helps empty processed foods be exactly that — empty and processed, so they can sit on the shelves far longer than food actually should. Remember, if it doesn’t go bad, it ain’t good.

2. HFCS has led to the supersizing of the American diet. Remember when sodas were 8 or 12 ounces? Of course you don’t. For years, the low, low price of HFCS has allowed manufacturers to “add value” not by reducing prices (which decreases revenues, and makes shareholders go bananas), but by getting big, then bigger still, then gargantuan. A “small” McDonald’s soda? Sixteen ounces (more than twice the size of the chain’s “large” soda when they first opened). The largest size? Forty-two frickin’ ounces. For a buck. ‘Nuff said.

3. HFCS helps destroy the nation. Says Tom Philpott, “there is no food raised that is more destructive than industrial corn.” 17.8 billion pounds of synthetic fertilizers. 162 million pounds of chemical pesticides. Nearly 49 billion pounds of greenhouse gasses. Ecological dead-zones. Blue baby alerts.

Does HFCS actually metabolize differently than table sugar? Who cares? Either way, it’s a rotten product that does no one any good.

So, to reiterate, the knuckleheads in these ads that make me want to bang my head against the wall could have responded by citing any of the following problems:

1. Obesity

2. Type-2 diabetes

3. The first generation in all of American history to have a life expectancy lower than their parents

4. Environmental catastrophe

5. Nitrogen runoff

6. Babies whose brains won’t get oxygen if they drink the water, right here in the good ol’ U.S. of A.

7. Agri-chemical stews

8. Ever-increasing volumes of food that is more food-like than it is real food

9. An utter lack of discussion about how to actually get this country back to health

10. At least one blogger, me, whose head is about to explode

“Sweet Surprise” my arse. Our agricultural policy is completely whack, and HFCS is a big part of that. Until we face that, any “surprise” is going to be far more bitter than sweet.

And Audrae Erickson, drone-like president of the Corn Refiners Association, if I get a spambot comment from you that tells me that HFCS “has been the subject of considerable attention and misinformation,” like you robotically deposit all over the internets, I shall go stark raving mad.

Thanks to skunk-rescuer, oven-repairer, and mama-extraordinaire Pamelotta, who was the first to point me to these ads.

-------------------------

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:

And Audrae Erickson, drone-like president of the Corn Refiners Association, if I get a spambot comment from you that tells me that HFCS “has been the subject of considerable attention and misinformation,” like you robotically deposit all over the internets, I shall go stark raving mad.

Thanks to skunk-rescuer, oven-repairer, and mama-extraordinaire Pamelotta, who was the first to point me to these ads.

Gee...sorry, I simply quoted YOUR source.  Maybe you should try reading your sources sometime.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Gee...sorry, I simply quoted YOUR source.  Maybe you should try reading your sources sometime.

You know that's a standard disclaimer, and I always read what I post here. You should try taking your own advice...maybe you'd have a better understanding of your job.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

You know that's a standard disclaimer, and I always read what I post here.  You should try taking your own advice...maybe you'd have a better understanding of your job.
Not a "Standard Disclaimer" I've ever seen on any legitimate site.

Sugar = Sugar
Chemical formula for table sugar
Busting zvugs bubble on high fructose corn syrup SugarBusting zvugs bubble on high fructose corn syrup Sucrose-glucose-fructose-sugarsBusting zvugs bubble on high fructose corn syrup Sucrose_a
A molecule of sucrose
Glucose and fructose are monosaccharide sugars. A monosaccharide is the smallest unit of sugar, mono meaning 1.
Sucrose is commonly called table sugar and is a disaccharide. A disaccharide is a sugar that is made up of two sugar units, di meaning 2.
Sucrose is produced as glucose and fructose are joined together by a condensation reaction. In the process a water molecule is eliminated. See the following equation.
C6H12O6 + C6H12O6 => C12H22O11 + H2O
glucose   + fructose => sucrose + water
Hint: This is an easy way to remember the chemical formula for sucrose. 2 x C6H12O6 - H2O = C12H22O11
The molecular formula for sucrose is C12H22O11

Chemical Formula for Sugars
Sugars are a white crystalline group of soluble carbohydrates that are sweet tasting in nature. These sugar molecules include glucose, sucrose, lactose, fructose, maltose, lactose and galactose. Sugar molecules are classified as monosaccharides or disaccharides. The following table lists the common sugar molecules are their chemical formula.
 Name Type of sugar (mono =1 or di =2 sugar units) Chemical formula of sugar
 Glucose Monosaccharide C6H12O6
 Fructose Monosaccharide C6H12O6
 Galactose Monosaccharide C6H12O6
 Lactose Disaccharide (glucose + galactose) C12H22O11
 Sucrose Disaccharide (glucose + fructose) C12H22O11
 Maltose Disaccharide (glucose + glucose) C12H22O11
The monosaccharides glucose, galactose and fructose all have the same molecular formula but they vary in their molecular structure.
Busting zvugs bubble on high fructose corn syrup Monosaccharides
The three common disaccharides lactose, sucrose and maltose also have the same molecular formula but differ in their structural formula
Busting zvugs bubble on high fructose corn syrup Disaccharides
Lactose is also known as ‘milk sugar’ because it is primarily found in dairy products. Lactose intolerance is a genetic disorder which affects many people who lack the enzyme necessary to break down lactose into glucose and galactose. This prevents lactose being absorbed by the body.
Sucrose is obtained from sugar cane and sugar beet and is commonly called table sugar.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That's okay, in order to make HFCS corn starch (essentially, glucose) is chemically altered to where a portion of the glucose becomes fructose. The process of converting corn starch to HFCS requires caustic soda. There are two grades of caustic soda, membrane grade (a new process) or mercury grade (a 19th century process). The problem with mercury-grade caustic soda is that it contains residual mercury contamination. A study from 2009 noted that HFCS manufacturers were not ensuring that they only used membrane grade caustic soda in their manufactueing process. The study tested several food prducts taken from grocery stgore shelves that had HFCS as an ingredient, and found detectable mercury in nearly 1 in 3 of 55 products detected. The FDA has chosen not to regulate this, in the near-term.

http://iowa.sierraclub.org/Mercury/HgandFructose.pdf

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:That's okay, in order to make HFCS corn starch (essentially, glucose) is chemically altered to where a portion of the glucose becomes fructose. The process of converting corn starch to HFCS requires caustic soda. There are two grades of caustic soda, membrane grade (a new process) or mercury grade (a 19th century process). The problem with mercury-grade caustic soda is that it contains residual mercury contamination. A study from 2009 noted that HFCS manufacturers were not ensuring that they only used membrane grade caustic soda in their manufactueing process. The study tested several food prducts taken from grocery stgore shelves that had HFCS as an ingredient, and found detectable mercury in nearly 1 in 3 of 55 products detected. The FDA has chosen not to regulate this, in the near-term.

http://iowa.sierraclub.org/Mercury/HgandFructose.pdf

And that exceeded the allowable level by exactly how much?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Mercury is harmful in any quantity when it is ingested. There are no allowable concentrations of mercury in the food supply.

Please read this, which clearly states the problems with HFCS and refined sugars in general. Chemical formulas may look impressive on the page, but it's the METABOLISM of sugar and particularly HFCS by the body that creates the upsurge in obesity, diabetes, and chronic fatty liver disease. Other than pointing you in the right direction...well you know about horses and water.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/05/13/5-reasons-high-fructose-corn-syrup-will-kill-you/

"IF YOU CAN’T CONVINCE THEM, CONFUSE THEM – Harry Truman

(If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BULLSHIT.)

The current media debate about the benefits (or lack of harm) of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in our diet misses the obvious. The average American increased their consumption of HFCS (mostly from sugar sweetened drinks and processed food) from zero to over 60 pounds per person per year.

During that time period, obesity rates have more than tripled and diabetes incidence has increased more than seven fold. Not perhaps the only cause, but a fact that cannot be ignored.

Doubt and confusion are the currency of deception, and they sow the seeds of complacency. These are used skillfully through massive print and television advertising campaigns by the Corn Refiners Association’s attempt to dispel the “myth” that HFCS is harmful and assert through the opinion of “medical and nutrition experts” that it is no different than cane sugar. It is a “natural” product that is a healthy part of our diet when used in moderation.

Except for one problem. When used in moderation it is a major cause of heart disease, obesity, cancer, dementia, liver failure, tooth decay, and more.

Why is the corn industry spending millions on misinformation campaigns to convince consumers and health care professionals of the safety of their product? Could it be that the food industry comprises 17 percent of our economy?..."

boards of FL

boards of FL

High fructose corn syrup and fried chicken, y'all! That's what life's all about! High fructose corn syrup and fried chicken!

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
Mercury is harmful in any quantity when it is ingested.  There are no allowable concentrations of mercury in the food supply.  

Please read this, which clearly states the problems with HFCS and refined sugars in general.  Chemical formulas may look impressive on the page, but it's the METABOLISM of sugar and particularly HFCS by the body that creates the upsurge in obesity, diabetes, and chronic fatty liver disease.  Other than pointing you in the right direction...well you know about horses and water.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/05/13/5-reasons-high-fructose-corn-syrup-will-kill-you/

"IF YOU CAN’T CONVINCE THEM, CONFUSE THEM – Harry Truman

(If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BULLSHIT.)

The current media debate about the benefits (or lack of harm) of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in our diet misses the obvious. The average American increased their consumption of HFCS (mostly from sugar sweetened drinks and processed food) from zero to over 60 pounds per person per year.

During that time period, obesity rates have more than tripled and diabetes incidence has increased more than seven fold. Not perhaps the only cause, but a fact that cannot be ignored.

Doubt and confusion are the currency of deception, and they sow the seeds of complacency. These are used skillfully through massive print and television advertising campaigns by the Corn Refiners Association’s attempt to dispel the “myth” that HFCS is harmful and assert through the opinion of “medical and nutrition experts” that it is no different than cane sugar. It is a “natural” product that is a healthy part of our diet when used in moderation.

Except for one problem. When used in moderation it is a major cause of heart disease, obesity, cancer, dementia, liver failure, tooth decay, and more.

Why is the corn industry spending millions on misinformation campaigns to convince consumers and health care professionals of the safety of their product? Could it be that the food industry comprises 17 percent of our economy?..."

So you agree that it is not the type of sugar or sugar but rather people consume to much food.  EXACTLY how is that the fault of the corn industry?

Again too, you picked an unknown, web site with no credentials and no references.

Meanwhile, on the very far left web site, "Salon" appears this and your Dr. Hyman.  (Is that a real name)

Why don't you simply post from one of the weirder sites you enjoy, RENSE.COM?

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
Mercury is harmful in any quantity when it is ingested.  There are no allowable concentrations of mercury in the food supply.  

Please read this, which clearly states the problems with HFCS and refined sugars in general.  Chemical formulas may look impressive on the page, but it's the METABOLISM of sugar and particularly HFCS by the body that creates the upsurge in obesity, diabetes, and chronic fatty liver disease.  Other than pointing you in the right direction...well you know about horses and water.

So once again you lied.  Not in the least bit surprised and neither is anyone else.

What are EPA's drinking water regulations for mercury?
In 1974, Congress passed the Safe Drinking Water Act. This law requires EPA to determine the level of contaminants in drinking water at which no adverse health effects are likely to occur. These non-enforceable health goals, based solely on possible health risks and exposure over a lifetime with an adequate margin of safety, are called maximum contaminant level goals (MCLG). Contaminants are any physical, chemical, biological or radiological substances or matter in water.

The MCLG for mercury is 0.002 mg/L or 2 ppb. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems. EPA has set an enforceable regulation for mercury, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 0.002 mg/L or 2 ppb. MCLs are set as close to the health goals as possible, considering cost, benefits and the ability of public water systems to detect and remove contaminants using suitable treatment technologies. In this case, the MCL equals the MCLG, because analytical methods or treatment technology do not pose any limitation.

The Phase II Rule, the regulation for mercury, became effective in 1992. The Safe Drinking Water Act requires EPA to periodically review the national primary drinking water regulation for each contaminant and revise the regulation, if appropriate. EPA reviewed mercury as part of the Six Year Review and determined that the 0.002 mg/L or 2 ppb MCLG and 0.002 mg/L or 2 ppb MCL for mercury are still protective of human health.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/mercury.cfm#four

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Just because the EPA has "allowable" percentages of mercury in water doesn't make it any less toxic to the human body. Nor does it make everything OK to allow levels of mercury in the food chain. Yes, refined sugar is harmful in large quantities, but HFCS throws metabolism completely out of whack. I personally don't care what you eat, though. Chow down; knock yourself out.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Oh Gosh.... Now Markle is posing as an expert on drinking water regulations. Emphasize the word "posing."

And how does mercury levels in drinking water have anything to do with mercury levels in foodstuffs?

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
Just because the EPA has "allowable" percentages of mercury in water doesn't make it any less toxic to the human body.  Nor does it make everything OK to allow levels of mercury in the food chain.  Yes, refined sugar is harmful in large quantities, but HFCS throws metabolism completely out of whack.  I personally don't care what you eat, though.  Chow down; knock yourself out.

Glad to see you finally admit to having lied. Intentionally lied to mislead others.

Was this NOT your exact post?

Floridatexan

Mercury is harmful in any quantity when it is ingested. There are no allowable concentrations of mercury in the food supply.

Little question why you worship at the feet of President Barack Hussein Obama. You have so much in common.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum