Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I really got carried away and bought myself a pricey Christmas present.

+3
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hey,  I've never bought myself an expensive Christmas present before and I won't ever again so that's how I can rationalize er I mean justify it.  lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221338277501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2seaoat

You will probably double your money by getting it back to the area......the Cuban Pensacola port connection sure makes this product reflect a little bit of history. Normalization of relations with Cuba, and expansion of the port could be a great thing for the area.....but.......people are getting bent out of shape over a handshake.

cool....  Cool 

Carpe deum...

Enjoy...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's really weird. I've been collecting pensacola stuff for many decades and especially any items like this. But I've never seen or heard of either this cutter or a brand of cigars called "Pensacola Cigars" before. And a google search finds to mention of Pensacola Cigars either.

I'm gonna have to appoximate the date of this thing and then go back to the city directories of that period and see if there's a listing.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:You will probably double your money by getting it back to the area...  

Well I'm not opposed to recycling christmas gifts. But I've never heard of recycling a gift I bought for myself. I guess there's always a first time for everything though. lol

Bob wrote:It's really weird.  I've been collecting pensacola stuff for many decades and especially any items like this.  But I've never seen or heard of either this cutter or a brand of cigars called "Pensacola Cigars" before.  And a google search finds to mention of Pensacola Cigars either.

I'm gonna have to appoximate the date of this thing and then go back to the city directories of that period and see if there's a listing.

Oh how fun.  Very Happy 

Not just a gift to use in case you want a cigar and a nice little cutter, but this thing is going to take you on a trip. Investigating.  Cool 

That's friggin awesome! I hope you post it here for all of us to see. I love it when you do that stuff. Very interesting!  Smile 

2seaoat

Well I'm not opposed to recycling christmas gifts. But I've never heard of recycling a gift I bought for myself. I guess there's always a first time for everything though. lol

What was I thinking....I have heard your hording is monumental.....just make sure you appoint an honest administrator of your estate.....I have seen horror stories among collectors who did not do the same. That Cigar cutter may end up at the fish house after your passing........picked up for a quarter.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nice find Bob.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I can probably sell it for a profit to Bill Martin (McGuires).  I've sold him stuff before and he pays good money to pickers for stuff he wants.  And,  like me,  he's a real sucker for a thing like this too.  I can already see it displayed on the backbar in the front room.  lol

Watcher

Watcher

Excellent score! Wouldn't mind having that myself.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

There is a Pensacola, Oklahoma too.  

Very nice find!  You'll have to make sure you thank yourself for the great gift.  Very Happy

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A little sideline picker story.

If you're in the main room at McGuires there is a huge embossed metal Spearman beer sign on the wall.  If I remember right it's about 7 feet wide.

About 20 or more years ago I had an ad running in the Shopper week after week wanting to buy Spearman items.
A guy calls me who lives in Navy Point and says he has some metal Spearman signs.
I went out there and my jaw dropped.  There was an old tin shed in his backyard.  But as I got closer I realized the whole shed was walled with those same Spearman signs.  Dozens and dozens of those signs all used to make this shed.
But they were so rusty that I walked away from it (feeling sick that they'd been left to ruin).

I then called a beer collector friend and told him about it.  
He goes out there and digs around and finds two that were never used to build the shed and they are in good condition and he buys those two for cheap.  One for himself and one he sells to Martin.  That one is the sign you see at McGuires.

I think McGuire paid him a lot of money for that sign.  And even though I'm the one who found em I was so unobservant that I missed seeing the two good ones.   Still kicking myself in the butt over that.   Especially since we've never seen any other examples of that particular sign anywhere.  lol

I helped clean out and tear down Spearman brewery. There were 1,000s of bottle and stuff that were just thrown in the trash(dont think we used dumpsters back then. But the biggest prize that I wanted, but did not get, was a 1953 ford Panel Wagon. It was a off white cream colored truck with 4 beer taps on each side and a stainless Steel tray under the taps. It was their mobile party wagon. Inside the truck were coolers for kegs of beer. They would load the thing up with Kegs of beer and Ice and take to different events. It was really neat.
The ice house(next door) had a little building with beer taps. They sold beer by the gallon, quart, what every you wanted. It was always unlocked because the ice house was open 24/7. We would sneak over and load up gallon jugs of the crap. It was pure shit. After awhile when it kept making every one sick, we did not even steal it any more. I think they knew we were hi jacking the beer but they did not care. Green Spearmans beer, Damn makes my head hurt just thinking about it. Oh yea, the taps had a long rubber hose on them so you could fill up a gallon jug with out it foaming all over when you were filling it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:I helped clean out and tear down Spearman brewery.   There were 1,000s of bottle and stuff that were just thrown in the trash(dont think we used dumpsters back then.  But the biggest prize that I wanted, but did not get, was a 1953 ford Panel Wagon.  It was a off white cream colored truck with 4 beer taps on each side and a stainless Steel tray under the taps.  It was their mobile party wagon.  Inside the truck were coolers for kegs of beer.  They would load the thing up with Kegs of beer and Ice and take to different events. It was really neat.  
The ice house(next door) had a little building with beer taps. They sold beer by the gallon, quart, what every you wanted.  It was always unlocked because the ice house was open 24/7.  We would sneak over and load up gallon jugs of the crap.  It was pure shit.  After awhile when it kept making every one sick, we did not even steal it any more.  I think they knew we were hi jacking the beer but they did not care. Green Spearmans beer, Damn makes my head hurt just thinking about it.  Oh yea, the taps had a long rubber hose on them so you could fill up a gallon jug with out it foaming all over when you were filling it.

I remember you telling me about loading up the jugs with that beer.  lol

For newcomers to P'Cola,  the Spearman Brewery is sort of a local legend around here...

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Spearman_Brewing_Company

It was located on Barrancas Ave.  I think about where Main St intersects,  wasn't it Ichi?

I really got carried away and bought myself a pricey Christmas present. Spearman-brewery_sfw_26-june-11-fhp

Yes  You are almost correct.  Next to crystal ice. Little more to the east toward Goverment st. I forget people dont know about Spearman Ace High beer and Ale.  They used to cook the hops about 4 am.  I was a paper boy and you could spell the hops for miles.  But when you got close to Smiths Bakery (South of Cervantes) the smell of fresh baked bread was great. Remember the Train car restaurant at Main and Barrancas?

I really got carried away and bought myself a pricey Christmas present. MeM1ihiPJfIdMr172936Uzw

Note the Spearman building is bigger at the top than the bottom.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Since Spearman was a small brewery it's stuff is scarce and highly in demand by breweriana collectors everywhere. The early screw top Spearman cans bring $800 to $1000.

Guy Spearman lived in Navy Point and that shed made of signs was probably a neighbor near him.
I didn't know about Spearman living there until all of a sudden two years ago an estate sale popped up which was advertised as Guy Spearman's house and estate.
The usual Pensacola memorabilia and local Spearman collectors lined up for it and I was there too. I bought a few Spearman items (they were all priced too cheap) and I got this for a dollar. It was what he'd had made to hang over the front door.

I really got carried away and bought myself a pricey Christmas present. Sign10

When they tore down the Spearman building they left some of the steel framework. It stayed like that for years. One day a fellow hung him self from the frame work. I did not see him hanging but I remember all the commotion that it caused. I think it was all removed after that. Tomorrow, I might go see if I can still walk around where it was.

One day I will take you on a West side "I remember when trip."

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The very first soft drink bottles were called Hutchinson bottles. But they're better known as "blob tops". They were closed at the top with a rubber stopper.

The most sought after of all are the Coke and Pepsi blob tops.
The Coke blob tops were made in a dozen different cities across the south.

BUT, the only Pepsi Hutchinson bottle ever made was made only in Pensacola by the Escambia Bottling Company.

I really got carried away and bought myself a pricey Christmas present. 200512311716_pepsi

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:When they tore down the Spearman building they left some of the steel framework.  It stayed like that for years.  One day a fellow hung him self from the frame work.  I did not see him hanging but I remember all the commotion that it caused.  I think it was all removed after that. Tomorrow,  I might go see if I can still walk around where it was.

One day I will take you on a West side  "I remember when trip."

I remember all during my youth seeing that gutted steel framework on Barrancas.
I never got to see the building before it got like that.

I want to take that trip.

2seaoat

I am dead serious......you guys need to put together that tour, and if Bob could tie in historic items from those long ago businesses, and apply for a grant on some of the BP money to set up historic tour of pensacola. Pick up an older 25 passenger bus.......have them set up the tour stops by the fish house, Jacksons, the ball park, and the naval museum.......call it two old guys and a historic van........and pass the items around as to what was manufactured in Pensacola......I would take that ride as long as Bob has not been drinking and driving, and Hallmark's vision is ok.....better yet....get drivers, and you guys tell people about the city while they drive.....a little more overhead.....but perhaps safer.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:call it two old guys and a historic van....

But we'd need two young guys in the historic van to have enough energy to do it. lol

Damn it I just lost a long post. Oh well Check out this place on Face book,
You grew up in Pensacola FL if you remember

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Awesome, Ichi

https://www.facebook.com/search/228628277178964/members

Another Facebook  link............  You Might Be From Pensacola If...https://www.facebook.com/groups/2211970130/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum