Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GOP does have health care plan but Dems don't like it because it puts the patients in charge

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323665504579026711985090336

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323665504579026711985090336

More than that, the most important part of the GOP plan is that it is NOT based on the transfer of wealth.

It will have turned out much cheaper and effective to have just set up govt med clinics across the country.

The ultimate solutions won't involve the pricing or coverage or even access... it will focus on behaviors and edicts.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323665504579026711985090336

LOL! You have to pay a dollar to read it.

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:

LOL! You have to pay a dollar to read it.
So you can save your buck to help the children.

Wall Street Journal

By Karl Rove
August 22, 2013

Republicans Do Have Ideas for Health Care

[...]

But liberals don't like to admit it because the GOP would put patients, not government, in charge.

Mr. Obama and his hallelujah chorus are wrong. Republicans have plenty of sensible ideas to make health coverage more accessible and more affordable.

Many congressional Republicans, such as Oklahoma's Sen. Tom Coburn and Wyoming's Sen. Mike Enzi, have long advocated making health insurance completely portable so workers can take their plans with them from job to job. This means giving individuals who buy coverage for themselves a tax advantage similar to the one that employers enjoy when they cover employees. That change also could make coverage more affordable for the self-employed and even universal for all workers.

In the House, Republicans such as Texas Rep. Sam Johnson and Louisiana's Charles Boustany (a cardiovascular surgeon), want to allow smaller companies to pool their risk to get the same discounts from insurance carriers that bigger companies do. Others, including Rep. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, want to spark increased competition by allowing health-insurance policies to be sold across state lines, as are auto insurance policies.

ObamaCare reduced the amount families can save tax free for medical expenses; the House Republican Study Committee wants to raise the amount. Paired with health-savings accounts, this can put quality health care within the reach of many more families.

Defensive medicine—the use of unnecessary tests and procedures to ward off malpractice suits—cost Medicare and Medicaid an estimated $55.6 billion in 2008, according to a 2010 study in Health Affairs. Thus Texas Rep. Lamar Smith has championed medical liability reform at the federal level to rein in junk lawsuits, despite qualms that the issue should be left to the states.

Texas Reps. Mike Burgess (who practiced obstetrics and gynecology) and Joe Barton have introduced bills to establish transparency in pricing and medical outcomes so patients can compare the costs for procedures at area hospitals and their relative success in performing them. Louisiana Rep. Bill Cassidy, also a physician, has introduced a bill that would allow Medicaid patients to convert the value of their government benefit to pay for private coverage.

Republicans have put these and other ideas into comprehensive reform packages. Georgia Rep. Tom Price, an orthopedic surgeon, has introduced a comprehensive alternative to ObamaCare that includes many of the GOP's reforms. Tennessee's Phil Roe, a retired OB/GYN, will introduce a new ObamaCare replacement package next month when Congress returns. Mr. Enzi first introduced a comprehensive bill including GOP reform proposals in 2007 and has updated it regularly.

The president and his liberal posse have a fundamental, philosophical objection to conservative ideas on health care. They oppose reforms that put the patient in charge rather than government, that rely on competition rather than regulation, and that strengthen market forces rather than weaken them.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid recently called ObamaCare "a step in the right direction," but noted that his goal is "absolutely" a single-payer system in which government delivers all health care. When he was running for president in 2008, Mr. Obama admitted he "would probably go ahead with a single-payer system" if he was "designing a system from scratch." It's no surprise that he professes not to have heard any good ideas from Republicans.

Read more: http://www.rove.com/articles/488

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

By Karl Rove

August 22, 2013

I'd say the author for that piece is a wingnut principal. And you pick on us for using politically-biased sources?

GOP does have health care plan but Dems don't like it because it puts the patients in charge Laughi17

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:It will have turned out much cheaper and effective to have just set up govt med clinics across the country.

The ultimate solutions won't involve the pricing or coverage or even access... it will focus on behaviors and edicts.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic here.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:By Karl Rove

August 22, 2013

I'd say the author for that piece is a wingnut principal. And you pick on us for using politically-biased sources?

GOP does have health care plan but Dems don't like it because it puts the patients in charge Laughi17
Of course Karl Rove is a partisan.  We agree on that, what a step forward.

NOW tell us what was posted which is not true.

Then laugh at yourself for, once again, being such a great foil!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Given where the country is now re health insurance reform, perhaps some of the items listed in the WSJ article can be incorporated into the current system? Competition across state lines and portability of policies are both good ideas.

Call me skeptical but somehow I sense there must be a catch in the way ideas were written that made them ultimately unattractive to the left (or to the health insurance industry).  That is just a sense of things on my part. I do not know what the problem would be because on the face of it they sound good.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:It will have turned out much cheaper and effective to have just set up govt med clinics across the country.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic here.
Ya... what was I thinking? The govt should just nationalize the hospitals.

GOP does have health care plan but Dems don't like it because it puts the patients in charge 2Q==

After we nationalize the health care industry we can put all those health care workers on the military pay scale.

I'm sure they'll all love the great pay the services offers to people with similar skills that the military pay scale pays.

We'll just rename it the government pay scale.

If we put all government employees on the new government pay scale our Congressmen will only have to decide once on how much of a pay raise 'all' government employees should receive a year.

Look! I just saved our Congressmen tons of time and money each year.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Very Happy

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

We all know that we pay more for health insurance or medical care than any other developed country by a long shot. Here's another reason this happens and it is something that can cost the patient plenty if they aren't watching out.

The NPR program Market Place today at five reported on this case. A woman had a fall and went to the ER. She was a Medicare patient so, like most people would think her medical costs would be 80% covered by Medicare. Well, not so much.

The hospital kept her for two nights for "observation" but they never admitted her. It was billed as outpatient care rather than hospital care. She ended up with a huge bill. This is the way hospitals bill more since they are billing the patient and not Medicare. I would hope that if a person was in the ER they could request to be admitted if they weren't sent home?Maybe this is something as potential patients we need to watch out for?

"ObamaCare reduced the amount families can save tax free for medical expenses; the House Republican Study Committee wants to raise the amount. Paired with health-savings accounts, this can put quality health care within the reach of many more families."

How absurd can you be? They want poor families who can barely afford rent and food to put money in a health savings account? Yes, let's see? We'll just save up $50,000 for that surgery! Bahahahaha!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

othershoe1030 wrote:We all know that we pay more for health insurance or medical care than any other developed country by a long shot. Here's another reason this happens and it is something that can cost the patient plenty if they aren't watching out.

The NPR program Market Place today at five reported on this case. A woman had a fall and went to the ER. She was a Medicare patient so, like most people would think her medical costs would be 80% covered by Medicare. Well, not so much.

The hospital kept her for two nights for "observation" but they never admitted her. It was billed as outpatient care rather than hospital care. She ended up with a huge bill. This is the way hospitals bill more since they are billing the patient and not Medicare. I would hope that if a person was in the ER they could request to be admitted if they weren't sent home?Maybe this is something as potential patients we need to watch out for?
So, you assume it is the hospital deciding, right? Medicare guidelines have changed and many patients too sick to leave may not meet those guidelines for Medicare covered admission.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2013/september/04/observation-care-faq.aspx

I wonder how many doctor visits it takes to cover a 5k deductible? Or let's say 1/1 you go to the er... is the 5k due?

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:We all know that we pay more for health insurance or medical care than any other developed country by a long shot. Here's another reason this happens and it is something that can cost the patient plenty if they aren't watching out.

Kindly provide a reliable source and link to this anecdote.

They have no sources or links, just lies and innuendo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum