Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why good people should be armed

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Why good people should be armed Empty Why good people should be armed 12/3/2013, 8:41 am

http://bearingarms.com/why-good-people-should-be-armed/

2seaoat

I own guns because they have been part of my life since I was a child. I have now lived 62 years and I have only once had to get a gun when voices were outside my residence 45 years ago. I have experienced one earthquake in those same 62 years, yet I neither worship my gun ownership, or tremble for fear of earthquakes. Her analogy of the seat belt is absurd, and the stats show that gun ownership allows this country to lead the world in murder rate per 100k of population.

I have rarely in those 62 years walked the street thinking I would be safer carrying a firearm. I just do not understand how weak and scared a person must be, and perhaps you are correct that women are the fastest growing segment of folks wanting to carry weapons. Living life frightened and scared thinking that something in my pocket is going to change that reality is not a manner I care to live. However, as I grow weaker......maybe I too will be a punk.

Yep, keep thinking that a cop will be there when you need one. Better to be armed and not need it than not armed and need it. There are places in this country more dangerous than the Kornegal Valley in Afghanistan. Chicago and all it's gun violence, despite some of the most draconian gun laws ever created exist there is one example. South Central LA another. Try explaining the homicide rate in Chicago where the gun laws are so strict? Would it be that average citizens cannot conceal carry without bribing the Governor of Illinois? Probably.

I've never felt the need to be armed in public... I would if I thght there were reason. Just never seemed important to me.

knothead

knothead

I also come from a 'gun' culture. Hunting was a rite towards manhood and I owned my first weapon at age 7. It was a single shot .410. I had the importance of safety drilled into my young mind and I knew to never cut corners and violate any safety rules, principally, unload the gun before crossing a fence, never shoot at anything man-high unless there was a clear view of the area around the quarry and always unload before loading up to depart. These are common sense safety rules I knew better than to violate. I have a personal weapon but just do not feel the need to get a CC permit so it would be for protection of family, home property. There seems to be some paranoia in 'what ifs' and it is true that IF an ax murderer shows up at chicken bone beach while I am passing . . . . well I better pick up the pace. It is just so unlikely that I don't feel safer carrying . . . actually it would make me feel rather stupid to be honest rather than safer! My point is simple guns are dangerous in the wrong hands with a screwed up mind or outlook but it is in our constitution so be it . . .

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Good for her, PD. Thanks for posting!

Why good people should be armed 1453426_10152118329490432_1107073124_n

2seaoat

Chit happens and I would rather have my own personal safety compromised, rather than spend the time on my training each and every week once I made the decision to carry. The other reason quite honestly was I never was a good shot with a hand gun. I won awards with rifles, but I struggled with a hand gun, and my biggest fear is reacting in a crisis and missing my target and hurting an innocent person. I would have to dedicate too much time to my training to make up my current deficits. There is a great deal of responsibility when you decide to arm and walk in public. Having my shotguns at home.....no problem....my accuracy matters very little.....I am not going to put a bullet through walls and kill a family member, and if someone was breaking in from a dead sleep I could be loaded and ready in 10 seconds....with the security cameras and sleeping locations.....no problem.

Sorry you feel inept with a handgun , but your own insecurities with a heater should not infringe upon everyone else's right to carry.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Sorry you feel inept with a handgun , but your own insecurities with a heater should not infringe upon everyone else's right to carry.
Agreed.

2seaoat

I have no problem with properly screened and trained individual carrying firearms. None. I however, believe the training should be continuing and intensive. Nothing less and probably more than what is expected of law enforcement.

I just heard that the police in Iceland killed the first person by gun in the history of the country. Most of their police are unarmed. I prefer a slow evolution to that model. I love guns. I just do not like politics and guns. When the merchants of death convince Americans they have to be scared.....something is really wrong.

2seaoat wrote:I have no problem with properly screened and trained individual carrying firearms. None. I however, believe the training should be continuing and intensive. Nothing less and probably more than what is expected of law enforcement.

I just heard that the police in Iceland killed the first person by gun in the history of the country. Most of their police are unarmed. I prefer a slow evolution to that model. I love guns. I just do not like politics and guns. When the merchants of death convince Americans they have to be scared.....something is really wrong.
Luckily the constitution is clear.

" The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum