Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees

+5
surfnrg
VectorMan
Sal
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

knothead wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:When the GOP takes the Senate in 2014, the same tactics will be used to overturn Obamacare...
I'm thinking one shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. As I previously posted I think the rule change was unwise but it cannot go unsaid here that the GOP Senators have used their minority power for the wrong reasons. The President was re-elected to a second term and every President is expected/required to fill vacancies at agencies and judicial appointments. The Senate's role of 'to advise and consent' requires to vet these appointments and then vote their conscience but they (the nominees) are entitled to a voter . . . up or down . . . they just are. Looking at the behavior of the GOP Senators they have had no inclination whatsoever in giving a fair assessment to these appointees . . . they have just been blocked and for no other reason than this President has nominated them. Forget their credentials just block them. The consequences of not filling many of these positions are dire with the court dockets so backed up that it has become ridiculous. I suspect that Mitch McConnell is now wishing he had simply allowed an up or down vote on the three nominees for the DC Court of Appeals . . . . now there are 93 vacancies that can be filled with this change in the Senate's rules. It does work both ways and there are consequences for each party.
Y'alls time is almost up and Obamacare renders most every Dem vulnerable to the point that those up for election in 2014 are distancing themselves from it and Obama himself.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I posted this last week, but it needs exposure here.

http://www.cartoonomist.com/2012/10/how-filibuster-is-filibucking-up_30.html

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees - Page 2 Fillibuster+1

I disagree with you, Knot, although I rarely do. The minority should not speak for the majority. That's why we have elections. The losers do not get to obstruct the will of the majority. It's called "democracy" in some circles.

And PeeDog, all I can say is DREAM ON.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Read senate first of all.

I wrote "Congress" on purpose.

The House is a circus.

The senate was a countermeasure. Second what exactly is  congress not doing?
How 'bout starting with good faith votes on executive nominees. 

Let's start with something simple. 
Try to imagine an exact opposite of obamacare... R controlled... mixed at best populace... backroom deals...

Even under this dynamic a highly contentious law was passed. I don't think a fair minded person wants this.

Unless the end justifies the means.
No one has to "try to imagine" the destructiveness of the GOP. The evidence is at anyone's Google fingertips.

2seaoat

The stats tell the whole story.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:When the GOP takes the Senate in 2014, the same tactics will be used to overturn Obamacare...
When have you ever been right in your electoral predictions? LOL! Razz

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Pendulum does swing both ways....

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
When have you ever been right in your electoral predictions? LOL! Razz
Has a political party ever acted as much of an ass as the Dems have even after losing control of the HOR and now soon to be Senate? Glad you guys have stuck to your guns on Obamacare....it's an albatross around your necks along with the POTUS.

Go ahead and continue to be jackasses because that's only going to piss off more folks that skipped voting in 2012 to come out in 2014.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/senate-gops-unprecedented-obstruction-five-charts

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees - Page 2 Jud%20noms%20pie

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees - Page 2 Dc%20circuit%20bars

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees - Page 2 Jud%20noms%20average%20wait

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees - Page 2 Vacancies

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees - Page 2 Exec%20noms%20chart%20update_0

The last chart is too big. The missing numbers are 27 and 45.

Court stacking

I am pro gridlock.

2seaoat

But I've quit caring.

Getting old is not for sissies. There is nothing major which happened on this rule change. The Statistics tell the whole story, and legislative and Supreme Court appointments stay the same. However, I will bet dollars to doughnuts that President Obama will never get another Supreme Court nominee appointed in his last term.

Markle

Markle

As was demonstrated by President Barack Hussein Obama's far left Progressive to the Supreme Court, so are all his other nominations.

After the massive catastrophe with ObamaCare and all the other scandals and fiascos the Democrats know they are facing a landslide loss in 2014 and 1016.

Having accepted that result, Democrats and Progressives have adopted a scorched earth policy.  Worse then ObamaCare, if possible, they are going to move forward rapidly cramming anything and everything through that they possible can before being stopped.

If anyone thought things are bad today, hang on, the ride is going to be getting much rougher.

2seaoat

If anyone thought things are bad today, hang on, the ride is going to be getting much rougher.

I must agree. The Senate was totally obtainable by the Republican Party, and there was a very good chance that but for the President's Veto Congress could have been controlled by the Republican Party. I believe the Senate is lost. I am very concerned that the House may also be lost. This is the reason I do have concern about the rule change in the Senate. However, the abuses on routine appointments necessitated change which allowed judicial appointments to be seated. 10% of our federal courts facing vacancies is simply not acceptable and migrates from political discussion to simple governmental obstruction and destruction.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:If anyone thought things are bad today, hang on, the ride is going to be getting much rougher.

I must agree.  The Senate was totally obtainable by the Republican Party, and there was a very good chance that but for the President's Veto Congress could have been controlled by the Republican Party.  I believe the Senate is lost.   I am very concerned that the House may also be lost.  This is the reason I do have concern about the rule change in the Senate.   However, the abuses on routine appointments necessitated change which allowed judicial appointments to be seated.   10% of our federal courts facing vacancies is simply not acceptable and migrates from political discussion to simple governmental obstruction and destruction.
Yeah, but PaceDog is already predicting a Republican landslide in November of 2014. Are the Democrats already on the ropes?

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:If anyone thought things are bad today, hang on, the ride is going to be getting much rougher.

I must agree.  The Senate was totally obtainable by the Republican Party, and there was a very good chance that but for the President's Veto Congress could have been controlled by the Republican Party.  I believe the Senate is lost.   I am very concerned that the House may also be lost.  This is the reason I do have concern about the rule change in the Senate.   However, the abuses on routine appointments necessitated change which allowed judicial appointments to be seated.   10% of our federal courts facing vacancies is simply not acceptable and migrates from political discussion to simple governmental obstruction and destruction.
All President Barack Hussein Obama had to do was appoint people who were not far, far left Progressives.  Had he appointed reasonable people, his appointees would have been approved long ago.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/20559-focus-the-nuclear-fallout

2seaoat

The Senate’s rules change will likely make it much easier for President Obama to fill the Independent Payment Advisory Board, or IPAB—a 15-member panel…

This is the essence of the article and it is correct. Every President in compliance with our founding fathers makes appointments for the executive branch. If the founding fathers who explicitly put supra majority votes in the constitution on other areas wanted judicial appointments and executive appointments to require a supra majority they would have put the same into the constitution.

The Gentleman's agreement which was contrary to the Founding Father's design ended when the statistics clearly showed that the Senate was not operating like Gentlemen. As to the President making appointments to executive branch boards which have power.......duh.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:
There is nothing major which happened on this rule change. 
The filibuster is a dead man walking. 

Markle wrote:As was demonstrated by President Barack Hussein Obama's far left Progressive to the Supreme Court, so are all his other nominations.

After the massive catastrophe with ObamaCare and all the other scandals and fiascos the Democrats know they are facing a landslide loss in 2014 and 1016.

Having accepted that result, Democrats and Progressives have adopted a scorched earth policy.  Worse then ObamaCare, if possible, they are going to move forward rapidly cramming anything and everything through that they possible can before being stopped.

I VERY much agree with this and you can see it. You have to actually look though because its not on the front page anywhere. All the drama/scandals created take those spots.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

"...they are going to move forward rapidly cramming anything and everything through that they possible can before being stopped..."

What if they can't be "stopped" before Obama leaves office? Are you banking on the Senate majority exchanging hands next year?

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:"...they are going to move forward rapidly cramming anything and everything through that they possible can before being stopped..."

What if they can't be "stopped" before Obama leaves office? Are you banking on the Senate majority exchanging hands next year?
Then we can only hope and pray that the country not be so far destroyed that it can still be rescued.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:"...they are going to move forward rapidly cramming anything and everything through that they possible can before being stopped..."

Then we can only hope and pray that the country not be so far destroyed that it can still be rescued.
Where the hell is Sarah Palin when we really need her? Lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum