Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees

+5
surfnrg
VectorMan
Sal
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/21/harry-reid-likely-to-go-nuclear-today/?hpt=hp_t1

No more filibusters by Republicans to block the President's political appointees. Sad

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Pay back will be hades

knothead

knothead

This is not something to be celebrated . . . of course the Republicans have opposed Obama's policies and have used the standing rules of the Senate to carry out that obstruction. As much as I disagree with that opposition, changing the rules to allow simple majority rule opens the door to tyranny of the majority to use Jefferson's words. PD is correct that there will come a day when the shoe is on the other foot and this also fuels an already bitter divide between the competing political forces . . . I think it was unwise.

Sal

Sal

Let us all shed a tear for the loss of comity in our august Senate.

lmao

The problem is that the pendulum won't always swing the same way and when it comes back, it will come back the other way with a vengeance.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Bad idea. This administration looks to have plenty of those.

The senate was never meant to work in this way... it's a horrible precedent. The process is contentious out of design.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:The senate was never meant to work in this way... it's a horrible precedent. The process is contentious out of design.
BS. 

Congress hasn't been working at all ....

... by Republican design. 

It's too bad it had to come to this. 

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:The senate was never meant to work in this way... it's a horrible precedent. The process is contentious out of design.
BS. 

Congress hasn't been working at all ....

... by Republican design. 

It's too bad it had to come to this. 
Read senate first of all. The senate was a countermeasure. Second what exactly is congress not doing? How much more govt do you want? A new regulation every day? Oh wait... that's about the average. How many do you want comrade?

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Read senate first of all.

I wrote "Congress" on purpose.

The House is a circus.

The senate was a countermeasure. Second what exactly is  congress not doing?
How 'bout starting with good faith votes on executive nominees. 

Let's start with something simple. 

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Read senate first of all.

I wrote "Congress" on purpose.

The House is a circus.

The senate was a countermeasure. Second what exactly is  congress not doing?
How 'bout starting with good faith votes on executive nominees. 

Let's start with something simple. 

Try to imagine an exact opposite of obamacare... R controlled... mixed at best populace... backroom deals...

Even under this dynamic a highly contentious law was passed. I don't think a fair minded person wants this.

Unless the end justifies the means.

knothead wrote:This is not something to be celebrated . . . of course the Republicans have opposed Obama's policies and have used the standing rules of the Senate to carry out that obstruction.  As much as I disagree with that opposition, changing the rules to allow simple majority rule opens the door to tyranny of the majority to use Jefferson's words.  PD is correct that there will come a day when the shoe is on the other foot and this also fuels an already bitter divide between the competing political forces . . . I think it was unwise.
Dear knothead.

WE HAVE TYRANNY!

knothead

knothead

Chrissy wrote:
knothead wrote:This is not something to be celebrated . . . of course the Republicans have opposed Obama's policies and have used the standing rules of the Senate to carry out that obstruction.  As much as I disagree with that opposition, changing the rules to allow simple majority rule opens the door to tyranny of the majority to use Jefferson's words.  PD is correct that there will come a day when the shoe is on the other foot and this also fuels an already bitter divide between the competing political forces . . . I think it was unwise.
Dear knothead.

WE HAVE TYRANNY!
Dear Chrissy,

Those were Jefferson's (obviously a much more wise person than I) words . . . not mine! LOL I don't want to be a plagiarist.

surfnrg

surfnrg

From what i understood this was a procedure that had developed over the last 90 years maybe? But not a "rule" qua rule in the rules of the Senate?

Therefore was this not s shift of procedure? Even so, it has to be changed
As of late filibustering was out of control. I think most people want results,

It simply went to a majority vote on many appointees etc. I mean wtf could b simpler even in ancient Greece they just counted the f---- stones right?

surfnrg wrote:
From what i understood this was a procedure that had developed over the last 90 years maybe? But not a "rule" qua rule in the rules of the Senate?

It simply went to a majority vote on many appointees etc. I mean wtf could b simpler even in ancient Greece they just counted the f---- stones right?
You will see more and more radical decisions by majority... not from just one party or the other. The senate is nothing like it was designed. We really see is less representation of the states... and next to no representation of the people. But I've quit caring.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I think the 60 vote requirement should be reserved only for the 5 circumstances listed in the Constitution, not for every piece of legislation and judicial appointment.

Today's change only applies to removing the filibuster option from judicial and bureaucratic appointments excluding Supreme Court Justices.

The minority party, in this case the Republicans, can still filibuster legislation. They are very good at that, good at being an anchor to progress.

I think at the very least they should bring back the "talking filibuster" and make the person protesting in that way to expend time and effort to make their point not the way they do now by just threatening to filibuster and not even having to reveal who they are.

The Republicans have been abusing the filibuster. I think it just comes down to the fact that the Republicans in office right now just absolutely hate the president and are willing to do anything they can to make him look as ineffectual as possible. I really think this is an emotional, gut reaction on the part of the R party. They just can't believe they aren't in power. They just can't believe a black man is in the white house. It makes them crazy and this is what we get.

Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees DPCC_Cloture-Votes-01

I guess a slight miscalculation that the R's gained control of congress and dissolved obamacare would be ok?

An idea that barely passes mob rule should never appeal to an american.

Sal

Sal

Elections have consequences.

The nihilists in the Congress now have an opportunity to mull over that concept for a while.

Sal wrote:Elections have consequences.

The nihilists in the Congress now have an opportunity to mull over that concept for a while.
BOARDS OF FLORIDA should stick those words to the top of the forum so I can remind you of them later on.....when you are crying like a stuck pig when that pendulum swings back hard.

What you libs seem to not have a fear of is some true civil disorder that dumps over your egg cart. Obama's already prepared for it and is hedging his bets on it and when it comes, you'll be the first to cry and whine.

VectorMan

VectorMan

TOP DEMOCRATS HATED THE ‘NUCLEAR OPTION’ BEFORE THEY WERE FOR IT

The U.S. Senate voted Thursday to invoke the so-called “nuclear option,” making it possible for Congress to confirm most judicial and executive nominees with just 51 votes (as opposed to the previous 61).

“(T)he vote today…is an indication that a majority of senators believe, as I believe, that enough is enough,” President Barack Obama said after the vote. “The American people’s business is far too important to keep falling prey day after day to Washington politics. I’m a former senator.”

“So is my vice president. We both value any Senate’s duty to advise and consent. It’s important and we take that very seriously,” he added.

But here’s something interesting (and perhaps not all that surprising): Top Democrats were at one point fiercely opposed to the “nuclear option.”

Fiercely.

“The threat to change Senate rules is a raw abuse of power and will destroy the very checks and balances our founding fathers put in place to prevent absolute power by any one branch of government,” Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said in 2005 in reference to Republican efforts to invoke the “nuclear option” to expedite the nomination of President George W. Bush’s judicial nominees.

Then-Sen. Barack Obama added in 2005: “I sense that talk of the nuclear option is more about power than about fairness … I believe some of my colleagues propose this rules change because they can get away with it rather than because they know it’s good for our democracy.

“The American people want less partisanship in this town, but everyone in this chamber knows that if the majority chooses to end the filibuster – if they choose to change the rules and put an end to democratic debate – then the fighting and the bitterness and the gridlock will only get worse,” the senator from Illinois added.

And let’s not forget Joe Biden.

“You cannot change the Senate rules by a pure majority vote,” then-Sen. Biden said in 2005.

“Watch the vice president ignore – he’s not required to look to an unelected officer — but that has been the practice for 218 years,” Biden said, referring to Vice President Dick Cheney. “He will make the ruling, which is a lie. A lie about the rule.”

“This is what’s really going on here, the majority doesn’t want to hear what others have to say even if it’s the truth,” Biden continued. “The nuclear option abandons America’s sense of fair play.”

“I say to my friends on the Republican side, you may own the field right now, but you won’t own it forever,” Biden concluded. “I pray God, when the Democrats take back control, we don’t make the kind of naked power grab you are doing.”

VectorMan wrote:TOP DEMOCRATS HATED THE ‘NUCLEAR OPTION’ BEFORE THEY WERE FOR IT

The U.S. Senate voted Thursday to invoke the so-called “nuclear option,” making it possible for Congress to confirm most judicial and executive nominees with just 51 votes (as opposed to the previous 61).

“(T)he vote today…is an indication that a majority of senators believe, as I believe, that enough is enough,” President Barack Obama said after the vote. “The American people’s business is far too important to keep falling prey day after day to Washington politics. I’m a former senator.”

“So is my vice president. We both value any Senate’s duty to advise and consent. It’s important and we take that very seriously,” he added.

But here’s something interesting (and perhaps not all that surprising): Top Democrats were at one point fiercely opposed to the “nuclear option.”

Fiercely.

“The threat to change Senate rules is a raw abuse of power and will destroy the very checks and balances our founding fathers put in place to prevent absolute power by any one branch of government,” Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said in 2005 in reference to Republican efforts to invoke the “nuclear option” to expedite the nomination of President George W. Bush’s judicial nominees.

Then-Sen. Barack Obama added in 2005: “I sense that talk of the nuclear option is more about power than about fairness … I believe some of my colleagues propose this rules change because they can get away with it rather than because they know it’s good for our democracy.

“The American people want less partisanship in this town, but everyone in this chamber knows that if the majority chooses to end the filibuster – if they choose to change the rules and put an end to democratic debate – then the fighting and the bitterness and the gridlock will only get worse,” the senator from Illinois added.

And let’s not forget Joe Biden.

“You cannot change the Senate rules by a pure majority vote,” then-Sen. Biden said in 2005.

“Watch the vice president ignore – he’s not required to look to an unelected officer — but that has been the practice for 218 years,” Biden said, referring to Vice President Dick Cheney. “He will make the ruling, which is a lie. A lie about the rule.”

“This is what’s really going on here, the majority doesn’t want to hear what others have to say even if it’s the truth,” Biden continued. “The nuclear option abandons America’s sense of fair play.”

“I say to my friends on the Republican side, you may own the field right now, but you won’t own it forever,” Biden concluded. “I pray God, when the Democrats take back control, we don’t make the kind of naked power grab you are doing.”

cheers cheers cheers 

PkrBum wrote:
surfnrg wrote:

You will see more and more radical decisions by majority... not from just one party or the other. The senate is nothing like it was designed. We really see is less representation of the states... and next to no representation of the people. But I've quit caring.
Senate Goes "Nuclear" Over GOP Obstruction of Appointees 2Q==

*****SAD SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE

Smile 

When the GOP takes the Senate in 2014, the same tactics will be used to overturn Obamacare...

Sal

Sal

The stuff the Repukes were pulling to obstruct Obama's nominees was unprecedented and intolerable.

It was far past time to call their bluff.

Yes there will be consequences.

But, if you think for one second that the Repukes wouldn't dump the filibuster when they regained control and the Dems tried likewise obstruction tactics, ...

... well, I think you're being a tad naive.

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:When the GOP takes the Senate in 2014, the same tactics will be used to overturn Obamacare...

I'm thinking one shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. As I previously posted I think the rule change was unwise but it cannot go unsaid here that the GOP Senators have used their minority power for the wrong reasons. The President was re-elected to a second term and every President is expected/required to fill vacancies at agencies and judicial appointments. The Senate's role of 'to advise and consent' requires to vet these appointments and then vote their conscience but they (the nominees) are entitled to a voter . . . up or down . . . they just are. Looking at the behavior of the GOP Senators they have had no inclination whatsoever in giving a fair assessment to these appointees . . . they have just been blocked and for no other reason than this President has nominated them. Forget their credentials just block them. The consequences of not filling many of these positions are dire with the court dockets so backed up that it has become ridiculous. I suspect that Mitch McConnell is now wishing he had simply allowed an up or down vote on the three nominees for the DC Court of Appeals . . . . now there are 93 vacancies that can be filled with this change in the Senate's rules. It does work both ways and there are consequences for each party.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum