Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

one in three of homeless are vets

+11
Joanimaroni
TEOTWAWKI
othershoe1030
gulfbeachbandit
PBulldog2
Floridatexan
Hospital Bob
Nekochan
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1one in three of homeless are vets Empty one in three of homeless are vets 11/15/2013, 11:56 pm

2seaoat

Are we breaking our vets, or is their something fundamentally different about this generations vets and our parents generation who came back from WWII? Was the person being drafted in WWII different than the Viet Nam to current vets? Bill Mahr is talking about this tonight, and I was shocked that one in three homeless are vets. I remember going the the VFW fish fry every friday night and seeing vets working and raising families in the 1950s. I do not get this. Why are vets failing at this level?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Perhaps this has something to do with it:

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/viewart/20131114/SHE0101/311140439/Young-adults-stay-put-cope-money-challenges

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

You did not see the ones that did not make it or had issues.  They were not at  the VFW.  That would be one of the last places they would want to be.  War is no ficking joke.  Maybe they are like me and have a "Inferiority complex" that you always claim I have.  

2seaoat

Z,
I think it is more complex. One of my best friends as a kid went to a Catholic Military school in high School, was accepted in Annapolis and became a Navy officer and put in a 20 year career, and left and joined a fortune 500 company and worked 15 years in the private sector and just retired raising a family.

My son's friends who enlisted after high school are all single, cannot hold a job, and to the last one of them they fooled around with school for about 5 years and never got their degrees. Those who did marry got divorced. I have known these kids since they were 8, and they just seem broken to me.

How do we get 1/3 of our homeless to be veterans? Are we not providing better attempts to transition out of the military into careers. My banker's son is in the airforce as a air traffic controller. He will go into civilian air control and get credited 8 years credit for his military service and he will put his 20 years in, but he knew what he wanted from the military before he enlisted, just like my boyhood friend. Should there be a plan for every kid to get them back into the economy after service. It seems like this is a major failure.

2seaoat

Maybe they are like me and have a "Inferiority complex" that you always claim I have.

I think when I talked about inferiority complex, I was referencing the totality of Pensacola mentality that everything was going to fail whenever something like Maritime Park is proposed . I do not ever remember saying.....Hallmark you individually have an inferiority complex. I also never discussed your service to this country in that context, so I really do not understand your comments tonight about a very real and continuing problem which somehow you now want to attack me that 1/3 of our homeless are vets.

One of my son's friends has just received total disability because of his mental issues. He was seriously ill before he entered the armed forces and he served in Iraq and he came back even more damaged. It is very sad, and hopefully this disability will give him some security, but both his mother and father have died in the last five years, and this kid is simply alone, and damaged.

It seems like this is a major failure.

Duh!!! Of course it is. the Army chews up people and spits them out. We are now paying for all the shit people were told that being a combat troop is a good deal. It is not. Now everyone was a Air Force traffic controller liike your Bankers son. Gee-zus All the talk, all the years and now you seem to think because some TV talking head said it, that we have a problem. No shit...Welcome to the real world.....

2seaoat

Geez,
I sorry I talked about Bill Mahr tonight, because I never heard that statistic. One in three vets are homeless. Total system failure, and you are right I had not put the problems that my son's friends have had since discharge with the overall problem.

Sorry I apologize. I should not have lashed out. At least you do care and give a damn. My Bad.

2seaoat

Sorry I apologize. I should not have lashed out. At least you do care and give a damn. My Bad.

No problem. It is tough to see this kid who my son played little league with so deeply disturbed. His mother died while he was still in High School, and after she died he pushed the limits and was a bit of a wild man. After high school he enlisted. He served in Iraq and when he came back he married and had huge problems and got divorced. He then moves in with some of my son's single friends and they all had to get mace because they were frightened for their well being as his mental health go more erratic after his father died. Friends tried, but he was institutionalized and released and put on full military disability.

I just do not think people realize how many people are having problems. I did not know 1/3 of homeless are vets, and my son's friends were in the normal range in junior high and high school, but something is wrong.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Are we breaking our vets, or is their something fundamentally different about  this generations vets and our parents generation who came back from WWII?  Was the person being drafted in WWII different than the Viet Nam to current vets?   Bill Mahr is talking about this tonight, and I was shocked that one in three homeless are vets.   I remember going the the VFW fish fry every friday night and seeing vets working and raising families in the 1950s.  I do not get this.  Why are vets failing at this level?
Bill Mahr is not known for his strict adherence to facts. I'd like to know where his figure came from and how they arrived at their figures.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Markle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Are we breaking our vets, or is their something fundamentally different about  this generations vets and our parents generation who came back from WWII?  Was the person being drafted in WWII different than the Viet Nam to current vets?   Bill Mahr is talking about this tonight, and I was shocked that one in three homeless are vets.   I remember going the the VFW fish fry every friday night and seeing vets working and raising families in the 1950s.  I do not get this.  Why are vets failing at this level?
Bill Mahr is not known for his strict adherence to facts.  I'd like to know where his figure came from and how they arrived at their figures.
cheers

2seaoat

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2013/11/12/va-dedicates-another-4-9-million-toward-ending-veterans-homelessness/

It does appear that people are trying to get funding to address this problem.

Nekochan

Nekochan

The article says that there are 62,000 homeless veterans...this is 1/3 of the homeless population in the USA?  I don't think so. 

62,000 is a high number but I don't think it's 1/3 of the homeless.

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://moveforhunger.org/hunger-and-homelessness/?gclid=CO7T37zE6boCFa5r7Aod8nwAOg

This site also says 62,000 which amounts to 13% of homeless being veterans. Still a high percentage but nowhere near 1 in 3.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Bill Maher is always lying. And so is any of that liberal commie stuff you see on the internet which says that every 22 minutes another combat vet commits suicide.
It's all obama commie lies to convince you the war on terror did not bring democracy to the middle east like it did.

2seaoat

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/veterans.html

One in three of homeless men are veterans. The national coalition for the homeless is a reliable source. Bill Mahr's guest was the one who stated the statistical reality of veterans, and it is shame that the VA has not done more to address the problem. The numbers will come down when they give a crap.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

One of the major problems is the multiple deployments that many of these soldiers were forced to endure...and the head injuries. Plus, many of them must have realized at some point that they'd been HAD. Exporting democracy, indeed. What a pile of manure.

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158729/men-women-veterans.aspx

OK, so 24% of men in the US are veterans and 33% of homeless are male veterans.   

This is different than 1 out of 3 of all homeless being veterans. 

Veterans do have unique issues.  One problem I see is whether military type work can be translated into civilian type work.  For those kids joining the military who can get a specialty that has high value training that is transferable to the civilian world, I would guess that the rate of homelessness declines by a lot.   But if an 18 or 19 year old goes into the service and is in a job that has no real use in the civilian world, he's going to be at a disadvantage 4 years later when he gets out.  That's where the GI Bill comes in, which I'm a big supporter of,  but you still have to have a place to live and be able to eat if you're in school.   I might also note that after living far away from "home" for several years, many of these guys are reluctant to move back home with family while pursuing a college degree. 

That is not to mention other issues, such as PTSD, that some veterans suffer from.

2seaoat

they have to do a better job training before discharge for specific job skills. There needs to be aggressive tax credits for employers who join the military in a career track for discharged veterans. The truth is many of these kids lacked the skills going in, and lacked the skills going out. In the all volunteer armed services we are fed the line of how qualified the same are, but the stats tell a different story. There is no excuse for allowing a 1/3 of all male homeless to be vets.

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:they have to do a better job training before discharge for specific job skills.  There needs to be aggressive tax credits for employers who join the military in a career track for discharged veterans.   The truth is many of these kids lacked the skills going in, and lacked the skills going out.   In the all volunteer armed services we are fed the line of how qualified the same are, but the stats tell a different story.   There is no excuse for allowing a 1/3 of all male homeless to be vets.
The military is very good at teaching discipline.  This discipline can follow through into the civilian world in a positive way.  Veterans who are able to transition into the civilian world are dependable workers and they know how to listen to instructions.  But being in that kind of disciplined environment for several years and then finding yourself back in the civilian world with skills that don't transfer to civilian jobs is a problem.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Floridatexan wrote:
One of the major problems is the multiple deployments that many of these soldiers were forced to endure...and the head injuries.  Plus, many of them must have realized at some point that they'd been HAD.  Exporting democracy, indeed.  What a pile of manure.
Of course, that is how the Iraq war was sold. But, you can bet that the 145 billion barrels of light-sweet-crude beneath Iraq's soil was the bigger reason--it just could not be packaged that way. All so China could reap the reward of becoming Iraq's biggest petroleum customer after the shooting stopped. Whodathunk it would end up that way?

The PTSD of the returning troops is real.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

22one in three of homeless are vets Empty Thank you. 11/16/2013, 3:08 pm

Bob wrote: Bill Maher is always lying.  And so is any of that liberal commie stuff you see on the internet which says that every 22 minutes another combat vet commits suicide.
It's all obama commie lies to convince you the war on terror did not bring democracy to the middle east like it did.
What is sad is that we put these young people in an insane situation, and we expect them to act sanely.
Thanks.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Nekochan wrote:The article says that there are 62,000 homeless veterans...this is 1/3 of the homeless population in the USA?  I don't think so. 

Based on anecdotal evidence, I suspect this number is correct. I expect it may even be higher.

Nekochan

Nekochan

PBulldog2 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:The article says that there are 62,000 homeless veterans...this is 1/3 of the homeless population in the USA?  I don't think so. 

Based on anecdotal evidence, I suspect this number is correct. I expect it may even be higher.
I don't really question the 62,000, I question that 62,000 equals 1/3 of the homeless people.   Seaoat cleared it up in a later post--One out of three homeless males are supposedly veterans.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/veterans.html

One in three of homeless men are veterans.  The national coalition for the homeless is a reliable source.  Bill Mahr's guest was the one who stated the statistical reality of veterans, and it is shame that the VA has not done more to address the problem.   The numbers will come down when they give a crap.
I KNEW Bill Mahr was, once again LYING. From YOUR LINK!

Here are some statistics concerning the veterans homeless [2]:

23% of homeless population are veterans

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum