Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Social Security not deal it once was for workers

+3
Captn Kaoz
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SOCIAL_SECURITY_GOOD_DEAL?SITE=COCOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Nekochan

Nekochan

It'll only get worse as benefits are cut and rationed.
I'm still a supporter of some form of social security. I believe that the system has kept millions of elderly Americans out of poverty over the years. But it cannot be sustained as it is now.

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

Social Security needs to be fixed now. It should be gradually shifted to a privatized system. People should have to put 15% of their income into a privately managed growth stock mutal fund. If the government can force people into health care, then they can force people to save. Afterall as our wonderful politicians would say "It's for our own good".

The politicians should quit using this as a scare the recipients issue. It can be fixed without hurting the current or near future recipients.

Currently there a very few politicians Republican or Democrat who have the balls to try to fix the system.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Captn Kaoz wrote:Social Security needs to be fixed now. It should be gradually shifted to a privatized system. People should have to put 15% of their income into a privately managed growth stock mutal fund. If the government can force people into health care, then they can force people to save. Afterall as our wonderful politicians would say "It's for our own good".

The politicians should quit using this as a scare the recipients issue. It can be fixed without hurting the current or near future recipients.

Currently there a very few politicians Republican or Democrat who have the balls to try to fix the system.
Nothing is going to be fixed. Not social security, not medicare and not unnecessary military spending. No one wants to have his oxen gored and the congress knows that. Mark my words, before the January 13 sequestration, Congress will agree to borrow and spend more money and the fed will agree to print more money and the whole can will once again be kicked down the road towards Greece. And it doesn't matter if it's obama or romney or sonny bono or al franken or soupy sales or any other celebrity who is in office.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I agree with Captn but I'm afraid Bob is right.
We need to think about younger Americans. It's not a pretty picture for them unless things change.

Sal

Sal

Captn Kaoz wrote:Social Security needs to be fixed now. It should be gradually shifted to a privatized system. People should have to put 15% of their income into a privately managed growth stock mutal fund. If the government can force people into health care, then they can force people to save. Afterall as our wonderful politicians would say "It's for our own good".

Yeah, privatize it. Nothing ever goes wrong on Wall Street. Rolling Eyes

Here's the deal - the bleak outlook is being driven by the fact that much more wage income is now going to people earning above the taxable cap, as they gobble up a bigger and bigger share of the pie. Eliminate the cap, and SSI is good until 2083. But why stop there? Subject ALL income to SSI taxation, and SSI will be fully funded for eternity.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Too many people collecting from it that never paid in to it.
No one should be able to collect more than they paid.
Not to mention that california lets illegal aliens collect social security.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Of course things go wrong on Wall Street, but if Wall Street crashes do you think US government revenues will be in great shape? I'd put my bets on mutual funds over the government.

"Not to mention that california lets illegal aliens collect social security"

Totally false statement.

Home • Ask FactCheck • Social Security for Illegal Immigrants? Social Security for Illegal Immigrants?
Posted on March 1, 2009

Q: Is Congress about to give Social Security to illegal immigrants?

A: Congress hasn’t voted on any measure to pay benefits to illegal immigrants, and has no plans for any such vote.

FULL QUESTION

Is this true?

SOCIAL SECURITY CHANGES

⬐ Click to expand/collapse the full text ⬏

It does not matter if you personally like or dislike Obama. You need to sign this petition and flood his e-mail box with e-mails that tell him that, even if the House passes this bill, he needs to veto it. It is already impossible to live on Social Security alone. If the government gives benefits to ‘illegal’ aliens who have never contributed, where does that leave those of us who have paid into Social Security all our working lives?
As stated below, the Senate voted this week to allow ‘illegal’ aliens access to Social Security benefits.
Attached is an opportunity to sign a petition that requires citizenship for eligibility to that social service.
Instructions are below. If you don’t forward the petition and just stop it, we will lose all these names.
If you do not want to sign it, please just forward it to everyone you know.
Thank you!

FULL ANSWER

Versions of this whopper have been going around since 2006 and picked up after Democrats won increased House and Senate majorities last November. Since January 1, readers have forwarded to us more than 100 e-mails that claim Congress is about to vote or is voting right now or just voted last week to give Social Security benefits to illegal immigrants. All are false.

We first saw this bogus claim bandied about as a Republican campaign theme during the 2006 midterm elections. As we explained then, no benefits can legally be paid to illegal immigrants and there was never a proposal to change that.

The false claims mischaracterize debate over immigration legislation in 2006. There was a failed attempt by Republicans to change current law in order to prevent immigrants who become citizens, or who are granted legal status, from getting credit toward future Social Security benefits for taxes they paid before becoming legal. Current law allows illegal immigrants to get such credit – but only when and if they become legal. Republicans offered an amendment to change this, but it failed, as did the immigration legislation to which it would have been attached.

But the bunk didn’t die with the bill. During the 2008 Republican presidential primaries, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney attacked eventual nominee Sen. John McCain on this same issue. We noted the falsehood again then. The rumor took on new life last fall when an independent group ran television ads saying Barack Obama’s domestic plan "gives illegals Social Security." As we pointed out at the time, the allegation was simply false.

We’ll just quickly note that illegal immigrants are broadly disqualified from collecting benefits from government programs, according to U.S. Code, with only limited exceptions. Those exceptions are:

■Emergency medical care (which includes emergency labor and delivery)
■Emergency disaster relief that is provided for the short term and is not a cash payment
■Limited immunizations and testing, and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases
■Certain community programs, such as soup kitchens or crisis counseling, as specified by the Attorney General
■Limited housing or community development assistance to those already receiving it in 1996
These are the only circumstances under which illegal immigrants can lawfully receive government assistance. Notably absent from this list is any type of Social Security benefits. To repeat: Illegal immigrants cannot legally receive Social Security benefits, and Congress isn’t about to vote on legislation that would change that.

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

Sal,

You should really use that space in your head for something besides keeping your ears apart. What is the rate of return on the money you have deposited in the social insecurity account? I believe you will find that it is a negative return. Over the course of your life, a good stock growth mutual fund should return 8+%. If we began to privitized social insecurity over a period of time our children may have some sort of social security.

salinsky wrote:

Yeah, privatize it. Nothing ever goes wrong on Wall Street. Rolling Eyes

Here's the deal - the bleak outlook is being driven by the fact that much more wage income is now going to people earning above the taxable cap, as they gobble up a bigger and bigger share of the pie. Eliminate the cap, and SSI is good until 2083. But why stop there? Subject ALL income to SSI taxation, and SSI will be fully funded for eternity.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It is not a matter of can Social Security be fixed. It is more a matter of will it be fixed? I am predicting that partison bickering on both sides will prevent fixes which need to be incorporated now to ever be accomplished. This will lead to the eventual collapse of the system for everyone in just a few years.

In 1997, authors William Strauss and Neil Howe wrote The Fourth Turning; and predicted much of the economic upheaval and trying times we are now in, along with the fiscal conundrum our nation now faces. Here is what they say about Social Security:

[Note that for purposes of explanation, the G.I.s are the generational cohort born from 1901-1924; the Silent is the generation born 1925-1942; you are familiar with the Boomers(born 1943-1960)]

“….Not far into the Fourth Turning, today's long-term projections for Social Security, Medicare, and other elder benefits programs will lie in history's dust bin. The economy will not keep growing as smoothly as the actuaries now assume—and critical events will force the government to reshuffle all its spending priorities. At that point, no one will be entitled to anything; those in need will merely be authorized something. Public figures should alert today's working Americans to their vulnerability….”

Howe, Neil; Strauss, William (2009-01-16). The Fourth Turning (Kindle Locations 6750-6754). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

“……Unlike their predecessors, Boomers will consider their old-age finances to be more a private than public concern. For G.I.s, Social Security has been a generational bond running through government, its monthly checks a standard-issue badge of senior-citizen equality. For the Silent, Social Security will have been a play-by-the-rules annuity, offering a mixture of delight (for sneaking through just in time) and guilt (for burdening their kids). For Boomers, Social Security will be the object of fatalism and sarcasm. Some will get it, and some won't. The typical Boomer will live on bits and pieces of SEP-IRAs, Keoghs, 401Ks, federal benefits, and assorted corporate pension scraps that will vary enormously from person to person. For many, this will add up to a lot; for many others, nearly nothing. When the market hits bottom, millions of Boomers will find themselves at the brink of old age with far smaller nest eggs than they ever expected. They will immediately have to make do with steeply diminished material consumption. Many will have no choice but to live communally or with their adult children, while groping for ways to preserve a meaningful life on very little money……”

Howe, Neil; Strauss, William (2009-01-16). The Fourth Turning (Kindle Locations 6075-6087). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Social Security not deal it once was for workers  Fourth-Turning-cover

What Strauss and Howe are saying here is the parents of the Baby Boom generation was the last generation to receive full Social Security benefits. Older Boomers might slide through for a time, but those on the end of the Boomer generation are going to get IOUs from the government. Generations X and Y are going to go empty-handed. Strauss and Howe also say that when the Millenial generation starts taking over the reigns of governmental leadership (next 20 years), they are going to slash all government transfer obligations to older generations to move the burden off those younger. The cuts won't just be limited to Social Security and Medicare, either, but will target everyone who gets any kind of a government check (all unfunded liabilities).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Slicef18

Slicef18

"Social Security is not the deal it once was"

You're Right. But neither is the veterans benefits, UAW pension, Postal Pension or most any other retirement benefits program.

I'm all for the privitization of Social security.

I am NOT for having the GOV force contributing to it though.

We have got to stop trying to force people into doing things that we think are good for them. Some people are gonna fail, that will dealt with. they will be the few who may qualify for help, they may end up as criminals and will be dealt with that way.

We must accept that we cant save everyone and that people make thier own life choices and live with the outcomes, no matter how dire. becuase when we interfear we remove the drive it takes for people to do whats right for them. Then they think oh well, the GOv will take care of me and they do nothing. Becuase the whole "dont you have pride" thing isnt working out so well these days.

I am Gen X

I know I do not have Social security to fall back on. I will work till I die.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

*Secret_Angel* wrote:I'm all for the privitization of Social security.

We have got to stop trying to force people into doing things that we think are good for them. Some people are gonna fail, that will dealt with. they will be the few who may qualify for help, they may end up as criminals and will be dealt with that way.

We must accept that we cant save everyone and that people make thier own life choices and live with the outcomes, no matter how dire. becuase when we interfear we remove the drive it takes for people to do whats right for them. Then they think oh well, the GOv will take care of me and they do nothing. Becuase the whole "dont you have pride" thing isnt working out so well these days.

I am Gen X

There is some truth to what you say. I look at my FIL, who lives off his civil service retirement and some SS. He is 3rd husband to my wife's mom, but they are 76 and 79 years old and will not outlive the debts they have. He won a $70K settlement in 2004, and could have used this to pay off his mortgage, or invest it and have some supplemental income today. What did he do? Fritter it away over a 3.5 year period. I had to take over management of their finances in 2009, because both are too mentally feeble to do it themselves--they now live from one direct deposit to another with little room for many extras. And then, I found out that when he turned 65 in 2001, he turned down Medicare Part A because he did not want to pay the premium. He assumed his federal BCBS would be sufficient. You can't fix stupid in a great many of people. With FIL, it may have been the drinking that fuzzied up his thinking-but that is no excuse.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Slicef18 wrote:"Social Security is not the deal it once was"

You're Right. But neither is the veterans benefits, UAW pension, Postal Pension or most any other retirement benefits program.

True... One day, everything is going to be put under the microscope. There will not be any sacred cows, either. There will be lots of argument and infighting over who deserves what, but in the end anyone who gets a payment from Uncle Sam in any form is going to take a hit. It may take a dollar-collapse to get from here to there completely, but via some means, we are going to travel to that point.

There will be lots of blame handed out, too. Left vs. Right kind of stuff. Perhaps then we might finally realize that we live in a one-party state. The Republicans and Democrats are simply the left and right factions of a one-party system (a corporate system) controlled by the Federal Reserve, Wall Street, and their corporate lackeys.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

I am Gen X

There is some truth to what you say. I look at my FIL, who lives off his civil service retirement and some SS. He is 3rd husband to my wife's mom, but they are 76 and 79 years old and will not outlive the debts they have. He won a $70K settlement in 2004, and could have used this to pay off his mortgage, or invest it and have some supplemental income today. What did he do? Fritter it away over a 3.5 year period. I had to take over management of their finances in 2009, because both are too mentally feeble to do it themselves--they now live from one direct deposit to another with little room for many extras. And then, I found out that when he turned 65 in 2001, he turned down Medicare Part A because he did not want to pay the premium. He assumed his federal BCBS would be sufficient. You can't fix stupid in a great many of people. With FIL, it may have been the drinking that fuzzied up his thinking-but that is no excuse.

Z, all i can say for people that old and in that situation is this.

Buy a motor home and move over by you. If you cant do that, there are nice homes that offer many ammnities.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

I am Gen X

Buy a motor home and move over by you. If you cant do that, there are nice homes that offer many ammnities.

They live in Pensacola, Chrissy. Moved here when he retired as a DOD civil servant. But, they both have health issues now. I remember my FIL telling me in 2004 that when he got his settlement, he was going to "live high on the hog." I almost said then...."Why don't you just pay off your mortgage....?" They have a small townhome about 3-miles from us. It was a missed opportunity to speak-up, and I now regret it.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

I am Gen X

They live in Pensacola, Chrissy. Moved here when he retired as a DOD civil servant. But, they both have health issues now. I remember my FIL telling me in 2004 that when he got his settlement, he was going to "live high on the hog." I almost said then...."Why don't you just pay off your mortgage....?" They have a small townhome about 3-miles from us. It was a missed opportunity to speak-up, and I now regret it.

sounds like he made osme poor choices with a last chance. Those are the worse ones to have ot live with. Im very sorry for your situation.

They may not be able to have the picture perfect retirment , most people wont.

are they so feeble they cant manage about for themselves?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum