Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another question for our libertarian minded forum members

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

You all voted 8 to 1 in the previous health care pole that in a libertarian utopia, hospitals should still be required to treat people - regardless of their ability to pay - in the ER no matter what.

Now that we have established that, how would this care be paid for in "Libertopia"? You're forcing a business to provide service - an expensive service - to roughly 15% of the population for free. If a hospital is to be financially viable, it is going to have to generate enough revenue to cover the costs of services provided for paying and non-paying customers. Also note that an ER visit is at the very least three times as costly as a regularly scheduled appointment at the doctors office. So that said, how will this be handled? Will hospitals in "Libertopia" raise the cost of care? Will the invisible hand just magically make everyone better? Given the fact that you are a subscriber of this political philosophy, you should clearly have at the very least a theoretical explanation as to how this would work.

A hospital won't be able to raise costs... certainly not that will be reimbursed anymore. Are you paying attention?

The controls and effects have been going on for many more decades than the sixties. I've listed them. What's ur point?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:A hospital won't be able to raise costs... certainly not that will be reimbursed anymore. Are you paying attention?

The controls and effects have been going on for many more decades than the sixties. I've listed them. What's ur point?

I have no point beyond an honest attempt to learn.  I'm honestly asking you how this would work in the most optimal scenario as you see it.  Hospitals are required to treat 100% of the population regardless of their ability to pay.  How is this paid for?  Will the paying segment of the population eat a higher cost and subsidize everyone to go to the costly ER?  Will they be sensible and acknowledge that since they are paying no matter what, they may as well work something out so that the cost delivered to the non-payers is cheaper and more efficient?  What gives?  You subscribe to the philosophy for a reason.  Show us the reason.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I was the 1 vote of the 8-1 so this isn't my problem.
I say wait for them to die, then sell off the parts to the highest bidder to keep the costs under control.

And no, I'm not kidding.

I'll turn on my learned progressive gene. We will have a beautiful vision that seeing a doctor is a magic wand... we will soon realize that most healthcare is based on prior personal decisions (insert edicts/mandates). Emergency care will be funded at actual emergency needs... less deductibles and co-pays (unrecoverable)...

New laws.

2seaoat

No answer. Suspected the least. Gulf was honest, but some who preach the purity of libertarian views will not have Gulf's honesty......they pretend their abstract world does not have to interface with the real world. Nothing new here.

2seaoat wrote:No answer. Suspected the least. Gulf was honest, but some who preach the purity of libertarian views will not have Gulf's honesty......they pretend their abstract world does not have to interface with the real world. Nothing new here.
LOL... You've got to be kidding. Stop... turn around... look back... try to focus. That's all I can do. Sorry sir.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Boards, I understand your question and am not sure of the answer.

I believe in humanity and don't think any of us would allow a person dieing in the street alone. My objection is being "mandated" to prove ourselves human.

Since the legislatures of Johnson etc I've given freely to animal societies rather than 2 legged ones. I think the more govt mandates, the less we are inclined to give.

At least that's my mindset.

2seaoat

Gulf gave a true libertarian answer. You are a pretender, or maybe we misunderstood your sophistry. Boards asked a simple question. There is an actual nexus between his question and the issue. You ran away as you always do when dealing with your abstract concepts when they have to deal with the real world. Gulf is a true libertarian. His honesty makes you uncomfortable......but say it.....who gives a rat's tail about people who are sick.....it is survival of the fittest.....but your smoke and mirrors and veiled criticism of all government never gives an answer to Boards or any other function of government.....pure sophistry. Thank you Gulf for having honesty.

Sophistry = new laws

Boards... did you shorten the time that is allowed before an edit is announced?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum