Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will there be a government shutdown?

+6
Ghost Rider
Sal
ZVUGKTUBM
Markle
Nekochan
boards of FL
10 posters

Will there be a government shutdown? I_vote_lcap58%Will there be a government shutdown? I_vote_rcap 58% [ 11 ]
Will there be a government shutdown? I_vote_lcap42%Will there be a government shutdown? I_vote_rcap 42% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan

Nekochan

I voted NO, but who knows...I don't have confidence in any of the idiots.

boards of FL

boards of FL

I voted yes.

Markle

Markle

If there is, you can bet President Barack Hussein Obama will make it as painful as possible for as many conspicuous people as possible.

We have enough revenues coming in to pay all essentials including our debt, the military, Social Security, Medicare, keeping open public facilities and much more.

Remember the visions painted by the administration about the Sequester. That the government would virtually collapse if we cut expenses by that "massive" amount. What happened? NOTHING.

The road runs two ways. President Barack Hussein Obama is refusing to negotiate on SLASHING SPENDING and DEMANDS that we continue to run ourselves into the ground with massive, unsustainable, un-payable debt.

Why would a president demand the collapse of our country?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

John Boehner is digging a fresh grave for Republicans. There will be a mass burial for them the day after the midterm election in November of 2014.

Anyone have some daisies?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

It's gonna get interesting fosho.

Boehner has no good option.

He can allow the country to default and watch his entire party take the fall.

Or he can go hat in hand to Nancy Pelosi, and make a deal for the support of her caucus.

The wingnut heads exploding in response to that would be truly epic.

The GOP ship is caught up on the shoals, and the coming rounds of pounding waves may be more than enough to splinter and sink the party.

Pass the popcorn.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

I voted yes because all signs I am seeing in pointing in that direction.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:If there is, you can bet President Barack Hussein Obama will make it as painful as possible for as many conspicuous people as possible.

We have enough revenues coming in to pay all essentials including our debt, the military, Social Security, Medicare, keeping open public facilities and much more.

Remember the visions painted by the administration about the Sequester.  That the government would virtually collapse if we cut expenses by that "massive" amount.  What happened?  NOTHING.

The road runs two ways.  President Barack Hussein Obama is refusing to negotiate on SLASHING SPENDING and DEMANDS that we continue to run ourselves into the ground with massive, unsustainable, un-payable debt.

No sir, you got it wrong . . . . . this is about one thing and one thing only and that is to include funding for the ACA which the House has refused to do . . . . thank you Tea Party! It's unbelievable how these morons are willing to hold the nation hostage . . . . . AGAIN. . . . . unless they get everything they want. Go somewhere else and preach propaganda!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:If there is, you can bet President Barack Hussein Obama will make it as painful as possible for as many conspicuous people as possible.

Remember the visions painted by the administration about the Sequester.  That the government would virtually collapse if we cut expenses by that "massive" amount.  What happened?  NOTHING.

The road runs two ways.  President Barack Hussein Obama is refusing to negotiate on SLASHING SPENDING and DEMANDS that we continue to run ourselves into the ground with massive, unsustainable, un-payable debt.

And here we have Markle, attempting to imply that today's Republicans are fiscally responsible and are trying to get the government to slash spending......Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Republicans love big government as much as Democrats do, and no House Republican will do anything to cut-off government largess to any entity that is putting $$$ into their campaign coffers. They will scream and holler about cutting off Grandma's food stamps, while protecting their favored special interests at any cost.

Will there be a government shutdown? Th?id=H.4859211156160789&w=173&h=174&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

Unsustainable spending.

It'll be interesting to see which social programs are cut in the next few years and the ones who think they should be paid to sit playing video games at home have to look for work.

I suppose they'll have to take ag jobs from all those illegal foreign nationals for less pay than the illegals make now.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErUiAyVoGc

Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Will there be a government shutdown?
I don't know and don't care.

But what would a shutdown mean for you? Would your daily life be affected?

(The answer's yes, so keep reading.)

Shutdown showdown: How it plays out this week

Here are 10 ways a government shutdown would affect you.

10. Vacation all I ever wanted: Need to get away? Well, you can't. At least not to national parks. Or to national zoos. Or to national museums. They'd all be closed. That's 368 National Park Service sites closed, millions of visitors turned away.

I can live with that.

Were you thinking more along the lines of a trip to France? If you don't already have a passport, you could bid that adieu. It's unlikely you'd get your blue book in time. The last time the government threw a hissy fit, 200,000 applications for passports went unprocessed. Tourism and airline revenues reeled.

I can live with that.

9. Holiday. Celebrate: Don't come to work if you're a federal employee. You're on furlough. (Offer not valid for workers in "critical services," such as air traffic controllers, hazardous waste handlers and food inspectors.)

Do take some time to celebrate. In previous shutdowns, everyone who stayed home was paid retroactively after peace returned to Washington.

I can live with that.

8. I won't back down: The good news (for you) is that the men and women in uniform would continue to keep you safe. The bad news (for them) is that they'd be paid in IOUs until the shutdown ended. In January, Sens. Mark Udall, D-Colorado, and Jerry Moran, R-Kansas, introduced legislation that would have protected pay for the troops during a shutdown, but it didn't get anywhere.

I can live with that.

Rep. C.W. Young, chairman of the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, told the Air Force Times, "All military personnel will continue to serve and accrue pay but will not actually be paid until appropriations are available."

Their mid-October paycheck would be the first affected. In addition, the congressman told the paper, changes of station would be delayed, medical offerings would be scaled back, facility and weapons maintenance would be suspended and most civilian employees would be furloughed until appropriations are available.

I can live with that.

Scenarios of the shutdown

7. If you drive a car, I'll tax the street: You may be thinking, "No functioning government, no need to pay taxes." Think again. The Man would continue to collect taxes. U.S. bonds would still be issued. And other essential banking functions would go on.

I can live with that.

6. Wait a minute, Mr. Postman: You know that whole "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night" thing? Apparently, the U.S. Postal Service works through shutdowns as well. Sorry, you won't catch a break from the junk mail. But hey, you may already be a winner!

I can live with that.

5. I want a new drug: Oh, the irony. The Republicans want to defund Obamacare in exchange for funding the government. But the health care act at the center of this storm would continue its implementation process during a shutdown. That's because its funds aren't dependent on the congressional budget process.

I can live with that.

4. Pass the ammunition: Not so fast. A shutdown would affect the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Translation: That gun permit you wanted processed wouldn't happen anytime soon.

3. Money (that's what I want): Well, if you own a small business and needed a loan from the government, you'd have to wait. If you were planning to buy a house and needed a federal loan, you'd have to wait. If you're a veteran, you might have to make a few trips to the mailbox before that check arrived.

I can live with that.

If you're on Social Security, however, don't worry -- probably. Social Security payments were sent during the last shutdown. President Obama's expected to keep workers on the payroll to process checks. But would there be enough employees to process new benefits for the newly retired?

2. Anything dirty or dingy or dusty: Oscar the Grouch is a company of one. No one loves trash. But if you live in Washington, expect it to pile up if there's a shutdown. There wouldn't be anyone to collect your garbage. Washington's budget has to be approved by Congress. No budget for the city = no trash collection. And, according to The Washington Post, D.C. produces about 500 tons of garbage each week.

I can live with that.

1. I'm proud to be an American: Perhaps the biggest hit would be to the collective psyche. America is the largest economy in the world and a beacon for how democracy ought to work. To watch elected lawmakers engage in a high-stakes staring contest with no one willing to blink is no way to do business. A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll found that 51% will blame Republicans if the government closes its doors. The U.S. has operated without a budget since 2009 and has avoided a government shutdown with last-minute deals. It's been one stomach-turning sequel after another.

Who cares

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/politics/government-shutdown-daily-life/

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Damaged Eagle wrote:Will there be a government shutdown? Th?id=H.4859211156160789&w=173&h=174&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

Unsustainable spending.

It'll be interesting to see which social programs are cut in the next few years and the ones who think they should be paid to sit playing video games at home have to look for work.

I suppose they'll have to take ag jobs from all those illegal foreign nationals for less pay than the illegals make now.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErUiAyVoGc

Try Baby Boomer Social Security, for one. On the other end of the scale, the DOD is going to face massive cuts in the coming years. The Air Force is already talking about retiring entire fleets of aircraft; the B-1B, the B-52, the A-10, the KC-10. The Navy carrier and submarine fleets are going to shrink.

Smile

Sal

Sal

Shutting down the government is just stupid.

Defaulting on the debt will be disastrous.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Shutting down the government is just stupid.
"Shutting down" the government is hyperbole. The government will still be in business like always.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:

No sir, you got it wrong . . . . . this is about one thing and one thing only and that is to include funding for the ACA which the House has refused to do . . . . thank you Tea Party! It's unbelievable how these morons are willing to hold the nation hostage . . . . . AGAIN. . . . . unless they get everything they want.  Go somewhere else and preach propaganda!
Which is EXACTLY what is being done by President Barack Hussein Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid who are equally holding the nation hostage.

In my opinion...they should simply attach an addendum mandating that all government employees, including House, Senate and all their aids and employees be required enlist in ObamaCare with no subsidies.

Then sit back and watch ObamaCare collapse under its own weight.

I think Sen. Ted Cruz backed himself into a corner. He didn't think the House would pass the legislation defunding ObamaCare.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:

No sir, you got it wrong . . . . . this is about one thing and one thing only and that is to include funding for the ACA which the House has refused to do . . . . thank you Tea Party! It's unbelievable how these morons are willing to hold the nation hostage . . . . . AGAIN. . . . . unless they get everything they want.  Go somewhere else and preach propaganda!
Which is EXACTLY what is being done by President Barack Hussein Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid who are equally holding the nation hostage.

In my opinion...they should simply attach an addendum mandating that all government employees, including House, Senate and all their aids and employees be required enlist in ObamaCare with no subsidies.

Wrong again . . . . this train wreck belongs to the Republicans . . .  AGAIN, and the nation sees who they really are, as sad as it is I say let them dig their hole deeper and deeper . . . . . follow little Teddie Cruz and bring down this nation! Texans will be proud but stupid is as stupid does!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It's your party that want to shut down the government, Marklebot. Why are you in such deep denial?

It's also your party that put us on this road with two wars of aggression. Why do you continue to fight for a losing cause?

I bet that if we sent home each govt employee that makes over 100k we would never notice and have a surplus.

Nekochan

Nekochan

For Navy Federal Credit Union members, this information is on their website:

We're ready to work with you.
Our number one concern is our members and their families. If a government shutdown does occur, we have programs in place to help you through this time of uncertainty. Here is what you can expect:

• All 1 October Direct Deposits will be processed normally.
  • Navy Federal will cover the 15 October payroll for those active duty members who have their direct deposit of pay at the credit union.
Navy Federal already had a program in place for civilian government employees affected by sequestration. This program remains in place. It offers the following:

• Special 3.00% APR Overdraft Line of Credit* If you are a federal government civilian employee, have direct deposit with Navy Federal, and are subject to furlough, you're eligible for a special rate on our Checking Overdraft Line of Credit.
  • Loan Assistance: Understanding that sequestration and furloughs will strain your budget, we are prepared to work with you on any Navy Federal loan payments.
  • Credit Cards: Expedited approvals for line increases for your existing Navy Federal credit card.
  • Personal Loans: Share Savings and Certificate pledged loans can provide instant funds without dipping into savings accounts. Rates are set at the share or certificate rate plus 2.00% APR. Personal expense loans with no collateral are also available.
  • Penalty-free Early Withdrawal on Certificates: If you need to redeem a Navy Federal Certificate prior to its maturity, we'll waive any early withdrawal penalties.
We will be updating this page as more information becomes available. For more information about the potential impact to your pay, visit www.dfas.mil

VectorMan

VectorMan

knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:

Wrong again . . . . this train wreck belongs to the Republicans . . .  AGAIN, and the nation sees who they really are, as sad as it is I say let them dig their hole deeper and deeper . . . . . follow little Teddie Cruz and bring down this nation! Texans will be proud but stupid is as stupid does!
People in your own party called ObamaCare a train wreck. Over half of Americans don't want it. Or does that even matter to you?

I don't know how high your pedestal is for Obama, but if you don't think his agenda, actions and policies aren't going to "bring down this nation", you're more delusional than I thought. Go ahead and follow the bumbling boob.

PkrBum wrote:I bet that if we sent home each govt employee that makes over 100k we would never notice and have a surplus.
Will there be a government shutdown? Th?id=H.4947206445730353&w=185&h=179&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

The simple solution is to get rid of all the public sector unions by placing all government employees on the military pay scale with similar benefits.

The President, Congressmen, Supreme Court Justices, and Governors, make O-10 pay and everyone else will be making less then them dependent on their job.

If they don't like the pay they can find a job in the private sector.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmuZsSsyQ-M

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum