Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Morgan Is Wrong, Terribly Wrong.. From Slate ( Washintion post)

+3
Joanimaroni
NaNook
2seaoat
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Looks like more good news for Pensacola

Two weeks ago, two Florida deputies shot 15 rounds at a 60-year-old unarmed Florida man who was looking for his cigarettes in his mother’s car, parked in his own driveway. Two of those bullets hit him in his left leg, which was shattered. Roy Howard Middleton says he was compliant when the cops told him to turn around. He says that as he was turning around to face deputies with his hands raised, they opened fire. (He believed his neighbors were playing a practical joke on him). The two deputies said they were responding to a 911 call about a car thief and that Middleton turned and “lunged” at them with a shiny object in his hand. Middleton is black. The two sheriff’s deputies are white.
Sheriff David Morgan of Escambia County hastily took to the airwaves to explain that “the tragedy of this is the noncompliance to the directions of law enforcement officers," and that Middleton was “both a suspect and a victim." The two deputies were placed on administrative leave pending an investigation by the State Attorney’s Office and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Sheriff Morgan was quick to clarify for CNN that the officers followed the correct protocols. “Right now we are comfortable from a training perspective that our officers did follow standard protocols. I believe the standard we use and train to is a landmark U.S. Supreme Court case, which is a reasonable test.” Morgan went on to note that “[t]his is a common occurrence. We live in a very violent society.” Presumably the irony was unintentional.
A week later six Escambia County deputies climbed through the window of a private residence, without a warrant, dragging a sleeping couple out of their bed, shooting at their two dogs, one of which later died. The police were pursuing a suspect in an armed disturbance earlier in the evening on the couple's street, found an upside-down bucket next to a window of their home, knocked on the door, and when nobody answered, they just entered through the window. According to a press release, “Upon encountering the people in the house, the dogs became aggressive. One dog bit at one of the deputy's leg. He pushed the dog away, but it came at him again so he shot the dog in self-defense, at which time the second dog began to run towards him. For his personal safety, he shot the second dog."
The couple, who are white, say they were asleep in bed. Then the cops threw them on the ground, handcuffed them and dragged them into the hallway, and then started shooting at the dogs. No arrests were made. That case is also being investigated.
Now, Sheriff David Morgan is a colorful character. He has garnered public attention for actions as serious as a Justice Department finding in May that the county jail he oversees is plagued by constitutional issues and still suffers from the results of a decades-long racial segregation policy, and as frivolous as wearing his military ribbons on his police uniform in defiance of Defense Department regulations. But one might hope that on the heels of the recent unpleasantness, he would be very, very careful in his public discussions of race, crime, and police conduct.
Well, not so. This week Sherriff Morgan spoke at a weekly Rotary Club of Pensacola meeting and made it clear that the real victim of the racial injustice here is Sheriff David Morgan. You should watch it. It’s a case study in grievance- and blame-shifting. The video includes a horribly painful opening joke referring to the recent police actions and the attention they garnered as “turds” he was being forced to swallow. Your call whether the humor is rankly offensive, mildly inappropriate, or fair game. But the meat of the speech appears to be an attempt to recalibrate the media outrage generated by armed officers shooting at an unarmed black man 15 times, into media outrage that is somehow both race-blind, and targeted at black offenders.
The substance of Morgan’s argument is that the community must "address statistics for what they are and not inject race." Then he proceeds to inject race. And then he does it again.
Let’s go to the tape. Morgan says he is upset at the apparent "lack of race relations" in the county. In Morgan’s telling, he has made a “concerted effort to reach across the racial divide” and he believed he had built some bridges and was appalled at recent events. So far so good. But then he “extends the hand of friendship” and seeks to start a “national dialogue” based on “statistical data and the truth.”
Roy Middleton
Roy Middleton is recovering from injuries after being shot.
Photo by Kevin Robinson/Pensacola News Journal/pnj.com, Copyright 2013.
Morgan says that he is “hobbled by the law” and complains that he is unable to defend the actions of the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office (which he is presumably now doing) because of pending investigations into the misconduct of his officers—a situation he likens, weirdly, to “allowing a deputy to handcuff you and beat you because you can’t defend yourself.” This is of course not far from what his officers allegedly did to the actual victims in these incidents, and comparing what the media is doing to Sherriff Morgan, to what law enforcement officers did to their unarmed victims is so fatuous, it makes you want to weep. He seems to have no notion of the distinction between police violence and media criticism.
But that’s not all. It’s at this point that Morgan pivots to argue that to achieve a real national dialogue on race, “those of you in the white community must overcome your fear of being labeled a racist. Because that’s what we all fear in trying to open a dialogue with minority communities. It’s when we enter that first juncture of the disagreement we will be called a racist. Anybody want that label?”
Then Morgan loftily adds that we “must address those statistics for what they are, and not inject race,” adding, “Last night we had four black male teenagers attacked a 77-year-old white man. Where was the public outrage in that?” He cites another attack in which “two black males and one black female brutally attacked a white female ... beat her to death with a hammer and crowbar . . . where is the public outrage in that?” Then he cites another execution-style murder by an armed black male against a white male. Plus graphic crime scene details. None of these cases involves the police. They’re just examples of vicious black-on-white crimes that presumably justify—what, exactly? Police brutality? Racial profiling? More warrantless searches? Morgan never exactly tells us what we are meant to conclude from all these allegedly neutral “statistics,” but it’s certainly implied: The real racism in America is in fact directed at white people who are not allowed to defend themselves from being called racists whenever they act like racists.
It’s not easy to be a cop in Florida today, making split-second decisions about who is carrying a gun at 2:40 in the morning, especially in light of the fact that at the rate we are going, you’d be insane not to carry a gun at 2:40 in the morning. Nobody really doubts that law enforcement will only become more brutal and violent to accommodate the brutality and violence of our legal rules. But that isn’t what’s actually bothering Sheriff David Morgan this week. What bothers him is that Americans are still capable of outrage when innocent people are brutalized in their homes by his police officers. What should bother the rest of us is that he is not.

2seaoat

Good post......they need the feds or state to come in and start over. I really like Sheriff Morgan, and thought he was trying to do a good job, but he has lost control of the jail, the streets, his officers, and now the public. I cannot say this enough.....it is not his fault.......Escambia is so broken, from years of abuse and neglect, it will have to be a tear down, and rebuild........I do not care if the Sheriff had magic powers.....he was going to lose this battle.......The entire Pensacola and Escambia Sheriff's office needs serious retraining, new outside line officers, and new hirings and replacements with compensation which works getting quality people. Cut 25% of the Department, rehire, retrain, increase wages, and keep outside people in charge for a decade........When I saw four Pensacola officers beating a drunk at Pelican drop a few years back.........I really think it is a complete culture thing which is us vs them.

The SRCSO is not perfect but apparently Sheriff hall is doing a better job. You can email him a complaint and he will call you back. This is the kind of Sheriff I like.

2seaoat

The SRCSO is not perfect but apparently Sheriff hall is doing a better job. You can email him a complaint and he will call you back. This is the kind of Sheriff I like.

I was really turned off by him a few years ago when he began hassling illegal immigrants right before the election primary......smelled a bit like a manipulation of fear and prejudice to create a non problem. I also have a real problem with how over staffed they are.........and I took a great deal of crap pointing this out on the PNJ. However, Santa Rosa is not dealing with the complex social problems of Escambia, and there is real concern that what we are observing is a real meltdown.

NaNook

NaNook

People wonder why there is a line at the Pensacola Gun Shows for carry permits. There will be a Pensacola Gun Show 24/25 of August. Another opportunity to take control of your life...or be a vic.....

Dreamsglore wrote:The SRCSO is not perfect but apparently Sheriff hall is doing a better job. You can email him  a complaint and he will call you back. This is the kind of Sheriff I like.
Horsecrap, he covers misdeeds of his deputies to include fraternization of LTs with their subordinates and then just transfers them elsewhere so they can screw up other districts as well.

EDITED

I am in the process of divorcing an SRSO deputy and the stories I could tell would make you shake your head in disbelief.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Morgan doesn't do well in the "hot" seat.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Joanimaroni wrote:Morgan doesn't do well in the "hot" seat.

Sounds like he's got the toilet seat mastered.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

cheers

The ECSD is a mess but good grief:

Crime in the last two weeks, 1103 just in this mapped section:

David Morgan Is Wrong, Terribly Wrong.. From Slate ( Washintion post) 1005674_358704800928669_2060753568_n

2seaoat

I am in the process of divorcing an SRSO deputy and the stories I could tell would make you shake your head in disbelief.

I hope you can get through the process and you, your wife and the children find happiness. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Kahala wrote:The ECSD is a mess but good grief:

David Morgan Is Wrong, Terribly Wrong.. From Slate ( Washintion post) 1005674_358704800928669_2060753568_n

Not trying to make excuses....but it is not an easy job. No one ever knows for sure if they will make it home everyday but their chances of not making it home are a hell of a lot higher.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Not trying to make excuses....but it is not an easy job. No one ever knows for sure if they will make it home everyday but their chances of not making it home are a hell of a lot higher.

I guess that's where the shoot first and yell officer safety comes from.

Joanimaroni wrote:
That's my point. Dealing with a citizenry that acts like the above is like blaming the teachers in poor-performing schools....

2seaoat wrote:I am in the process of divorcing an SRSO deputy and the stories I could tell would make you shake your head in disbelief.

I hope you can get through the process and you, your wife and the children find happiness.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  
TY

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Kahala wrote:The ECSD is a mess but good grief:

Can you link us to the actual page where we can see this and click on the various locations to learn more about what each crime is.

Here you go, Bob. It's an interesting one to bookmark. You can choose location, select a time range, etc.

http://www.escambiaso.com/index.php/crime-prevention/crime-map/

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:I am in the process of divorcing an SRSO deputy and the stories I could tell would make you shake your head in disbelief.

I hope you can get through the process and you, your wife and the children find happiness.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  

DITTO PD!!!

My divorce was one of the painful things I have ever had to endure. I truly wish you the best in a very difficult time,, Take care... PD

knothead wrote:

DITTO PD!!!
TY

I'm not getting remarried again...if at all until I take my uniform off. Two divorces in 9 years.

ot trying to make excuses....but it is not an easy job. No one ever knows for sure if they will make it home everyday but their chances of not making it home are a hell of a lot higher."

Statistically, that's not true. If there was a larger chance that deputies would not make it home every night than that they would, we'd have no deputies left.

They are far more likely to make it through their day healthy than not.

I agree that it's a difficult job, and that's why the training needs to be better. Morgan has become a national embarrassment to Pensacola, and we certainly don't need that when we depend on tourism for so much of our economy.

Police & Firefighter work dangerous? Yes. And no.
RATE: 0 Flag
Do police and firefighters (who, oddly enough, have almost the same chance of dying on the job) really have higher workplace fatality rates than other occupations?
Yes.

And no.

Check out the 2006 fatality statistics published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor. The national average mortality rate on the job for all occupations is 4 deaths per 100,000 workers. Police and firefighter deaths on the job are a bit over 4 times that average. Clearly their jobs are more hazardous than what most working people have to face.

But let's compare that public safety mortality rate with some other blue collar, mostly male jobs. The figures below are the number of on-the-job deaths annually per 100,000 workers, by occupation (and note the average for men vs. women):

Policemen: 16.8
Firefighters: 16.6
Men: 6.9
Women: 0.7
Farmers and Ranchers: 37.2
Grounds Maintenance Workers: 13.5
Fishers and related Fishing Workers: 147.2
Construction Laborers: 21.4
Roofers: 33.5
Structural Iron and Steel Workers: 61
Operating Engineers and other Equipment Operators: 18.2
Aircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers: 90.4
Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors: 40.7
Logging: 87.4
Mining: 28.1
Taxi and limousine drivers: 22.1
Truck Transportation: 27.2
You can read the entire document by clicking here.

Or here: http://orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/cfoi_rates_2006.pdf

As you can see, a number of occupations entail as great or greater risk. Indeed, a grounds maintenance worker faces almost as much mortality risk as our police and firefighters. Construction laborers face a 28% higher risk. Truck drivers are 63% more likely to die on the job. Roofers face twice the mortality risk of our public safety workers. And then there are some REALLY dangerous occupations to consider.

A common lament is that "police and firefighters' wives -- when they send their husbands off to work -- don't know whether or not they will return that evening." [Somehow it's unmanly to reverse the genders.] True enough.

But the fact is that there are millions of workers who go off to work each morning with less of a chance of returning home than the odds facing a police officer or firefighter.

One reason few people are aware of this fact is that when a public safety employee dies on the job, there is a huge amount of publicity. You seldom have a private funeral for a cop or firefighter -- it's an "all hands on deck" evolution.

Meanwhile every day people die on the job in these other riskier occupations, and such tragedies seldom get even a mention in the papers, let alone on TV.

Every occupational death is a tragedy, and no one should downplay that fact. But the idea that police and firefighters face incredible dangers is simply not true. Public safety jobs entail risk, but not THAT much risk.

In a separate blog item I will deal with the public safety RETIREE morality rate. For now, suffice it to say that there is little difference compared to the general population -- labor union propaganda notwithstanding.
AUTHOR TAGS:
mortality rate, police and firefighters

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That is a cool website.  No recent crimes in my neighborhood, however. We do have a sex offender on a nearby corner. A few other sex offenders a couple of blocks over, including a 32 yo woman (must have been boinking a young teenage stud).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

bluemoon wrote:ot trying to make excuses....but it is not an easy job. No one ever knows for sure if they will make it home everyday but their chances of not making it home are a hell of a lot higher."

Statistically, that's  not true. If there was a larger chance that deputies would not make it home every night than that they would, we'd have no deputies left.

They are  far more likely to make it through their day healthy than not.

I agree that it's a difficult job, and that's why the training needs to be better. Morgan has become a national embarrassment to Pensacola, and we certainly don't need that when we depend on tourism for so much of our economy.
Crime is worse here in Vegas trust me

Thanks for that post Mr Ichi.I was sure it was more dangerous to be a coal miner than it is to be a cop.  I wouldn't work in one of those mines for any amount of money. And the article is right. We only hear of policemen dying because they get so much publicity when it happens.
Evidently our sheriff doesn't think it should get publicity when his officers shoot an innocent man or enter a house without a warrant and shoot the family dogs.

Last edited by bluemoon on 8/17/2013, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum