Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited?

+6
Sal
2seaoat
Nekochan
TEOTWAWKI
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

All this phony caring about children. Who really gives a damn ? 50 million aborted leads me to doubt most don't care at all. Probably just a selfish motive at best not wanting to pay for the medical consequences

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Boards in order to prevent obesity in the picture you posted....you need to realize it was not McDonald's that caused the situation......100% of the blame lies with the irresponsible parent.
Correct.  So is that a valid explanation then?  "Hmm.  That was the parents decision".  That is the question here.  The kid isn't of the mental capacity to decide to eat McDonald's or not.  Should these kids be afforded any protection by society from irresponsible parents?  At what point do you cross the line from "parental decision" to "illegal"?
How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited? - Page 2 Th?id=H.4732161680999429&pid=1

Both the parents and McDonald's are doing nothing illegal. The better question is...

When does the state cross the line and interfere with the "Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity"?

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
Abraham Lincoln

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VXVIjbeTc

Smile

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Nekochan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote: Didn't you say your parents bought you Happy Meals? Were there standards that low?
We didn't know then what we know now; hence this thread.  Now that we know that McDonald's uses meat that is not fit for human consumption, and basically puts it through an ammonia wash and re-purposes it so that it just meets minimum standards to be consumed by human beings...now that we know this, shouldn't we take the next logical step and say only adults can consume this crap?  At the very least, shouldn't we prohibit the marketing of this waste to children via happy meals?
That is only your opinion that it's not fit for human consumption.   If your thinking was followed, all sweets and snacks would be banned.
This is true, since sugar (fructose) is highly toxic to the human body. It is the main cause of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and hypertension in people. In that photo of that kid, it shows a drink cup in front of him. THAT may be the true reason for this kid's obesity, instead of the burgers.

Prior to the 1400s, table sugar (and hence, fructose) was not available in the Western diet (except natural fructose consumed from eating fruits and vegetables, which is not harmful). The establishment of sugar cane plantations in the New World, supported by cheap labor provided by African slaves, changed this, and sugar became cheaper and more widely available. By 1700, the average Briton was consuming 4 lbs. of sugar per year; climbing to 100 lbs. per year by 1950. The entry of the soft-drink and candy industry in the 1900s helped this. Since the introduction of HFCS in the 1970s, fructose consumption has climbed another 30%, chiefly in soft drinks and sweetened fruit drinks/sports drinks.

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 8/13/2013, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited? - Page 2 Purewh10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

When mcdonalds happy meals are outlawed, only outlaws will have mcdonalds happy meals.

"From my cold dead hands". Charlton Heston.

gulfbeachbandit wrote:When mcdonalds happy meals are outlawed, only outlaws will have mcdonalds happy meals.

"From my cold dead hands".  Charlton Heston.
How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited? - Page 2 Th?id=H.4797200403794769&pid=1

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Very Happy

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 8/15/2013, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Do you think it is ok?  Should the government ban  bourbon?

The boy was a contemporary of mine, so this happened four decades ago.

My mother told me about it.

At the time I think she thought it was irresponsible parenting.

With studies over the past four decades showing the adverse effects of alcohol on the developing brain, today I feel certain it would be considered child abuse.
 It's called a worthless parent. Giving an infant any alcohol is extremely dangerous and illegal. Yes, it is abuse. Breastfeeding mother's, if they consume alcohol are told to pump and dump.....and give the infant their stored (previously frozen)breast milk.

The infants body absorbs alcohol much faster than adults. One ounce of alcohol could be fatal to an infant.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

With studies over the past four decades showing the adverse effects of alcohol on the developing brain, today I feel certain it would be considered child abuse.
 It's called a worthless parent. Giving an infant any alcohol is extremely dangerous and illegal. Yes, it is abuse. Breastfeeding mother's, if they consume alcohol are told to pump and dump.....and give the infant their stored (previously frozen)breast milk.

The infants body absorbs alcohol much faster than adults. One ounce of alcohol could be fatal to an infant.
There you go. 

Parents should have the prerogative to feed kids poison. 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

There you go. 

Parents should have the prerogative to feed kids poison. 
 There you go? Not hardly.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Boards in order to prevent obesity in the picture you posted....you need to realize it was not McDonald's that caused the situation......100% of the blame lies with the irresponsible parent.
Correct.  So is that a valid explanation then?  "Hmm.  That was the parents decision".  That is the question here.  The kid isn't of the mental capacity to decide to eat McDonald's or not.  Should these kids be afforded any protection by society from irresponsible parents?  At what point do you cross the line from "parental decision" to "illegal"?

Hmmm should we limit the rights of free enterprise because some parents are irresponsible?

The obese child in the photo, who is also wearing a "fat-suit", did not get that fat from eating McDonald's Happy Meals. Unless of course he ate them 4-6 times a day for months. If he did that...it was by the choice of his parents because....

1. he can not navigate to McDonald's on his own unless he lives next door.
2. he cannot pay for his purchase unless his parents give him the money...which would be a hell of a lot of money considering how many goddamn happy meals it would take to get that damn fat.

Children do not get that fat on there own unless they have a medically related disorder such as Endocrine disorders, Cushings Syndrome or Chromosomal abnormalities...if he doesn't have those conditions you have to consider genetics and environment.

McDonald's did not force feed the kid....for a child to be that fat without a medical reason is considered neglectful and abusive to the welfare of a child.

You asked....Should these kids be afforded any protection by society from irresponsible parents? The answer is yes....and it falls under DCF. It is their responsibility to protect children from abuse.

Nekochan

Nekochan

The kid in that photo (the photo was posted before when we were discussing this issue) does NOT have a happy meal in front of him. That is a large drink and large fries.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:The kid in that photo (the photo was posted before when we were discussing this issue) does NOT have a happy meal in front of him.  That is a large drink and large fries.  

Dammit, where the hell are his parents? He needs a Happy Meal.

boards of FL

boards of FL

You two are missing the point, and I don't think I am capable of explaining it any better.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:You two are missing the point, and I don't think I am capable of explaining it any better.
I don't think I'm missing the point.  You want to somehow restrict or ban McDonald's for kids.   What about all the other restaurants that serve burgers and fries and milkshakes, etc?   What about parents who shop poorly in the supermarket and buy carts full of junk food to take home for their kids?  Do you want to go into these families' homes and dictate what they can buy at the grocery store and eat?  

As for the ammonia you were talking about yesterday, claiming that McDonald's hamburgers are unfit for human consumption--ammonia is used in LOTS of foods.  So maybe you need to expand your focus to a lot more products than McDonald's Happy Meals.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/04/us-food-ammonia-idUSBRE8331B420120404

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:You two are missing the point, and I don't think I am capable of explaining it any better.
 Well just spit it out instead of speaking in circles waiting for us to guess what answer you are looking for.

You want the government to stifle and control free enterprise, operating within USDA guidelines, because of negligent parents....Parents that refuse to heed warnings regarding unhealthy aspects of a steady diet of fast food is not McDonald's fault.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:
I don't think I'm missing the point.  You want to somehow restrict or ban McDonald's for kids.   What about all the other restaurants that serve burgers and fries and milkshakes, etc?   What about parents who shop poorly in the supermarket and buy carts full of junk food to take home for their kids?  Do you want to go into these families' homes and dictate what they can buy at the grocery store and eat?  

True.  And what about parents that physically beat their children?  There really isn't anything we can do to stop that either, so what sense is there to make that illegal?  

Plus, it's not as if we already have a working model in place for other products that we could follow.  No consumption of any product has ever been prohibited for minors before, so we would be breaking into uncharted territory here.

You're right.  There are simply too many roadblocks to deal with.  The best we can do is basically to allow large, multinational corporations to re-purpose dog food with ammonia and then market it to our children with toys and fancy lunch boxes, and then just deal with the childhood obesity epidemic in the hospitals when costly, long term care that was easily preventable with a common sense regulation will be needed.  It is simply a necessary evil.

Think I'll have a double fat burger with extra sauce for lunch today!

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
 Well just spit it out instead of speaking in circles waiting for us to guess what answer you are looking for.

You want the government to stifle and control free enterprise, operating within USDA guidelines, because of negligent parents....Parents that refuse to heed warnings regarding unhealthy aspects of a steady diet of fast food is not McDonald's fault.
I've said it several times.  If someone isn't of the mental capacity to grasp the long term, negative consequences of consuming a product, there should be a law that prohibits their consumption of said product.

You can't feed alcohol to dogs.

You can't let your 4 year old get a tattoo of a Power Ranger on his forehead.

You can't feed your kid dog food that has been repurposed to look like beef through some processing with ammonia.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
True.  And what about parents that physically beat their children?  There really isn't anything we can do to stop that either, so what sense is there to make that illegal?  

Plus, it's not as if we already have a working model in place for other products that we could follow.  No consumption of any product has ever been prohibited for minors before, so we would be breaking into uncharted territory here.

You're right.  There are simply too many roadblocks to deal with.  The best we can do is basically to allow large, multinational corporations to re-purpose dog food with ammonia and then market it to our children with toys and fancy lunch boxes, and then just deal with the childhood obesity epidemic in the hospitals when costly, long term care that was easily preventable with a common sense regulation will be needed.  It is simply a necessary evil.

If you think beating a child is the same as taking him to McDonald's for a Happy Meal, then you and I will never see eye to eye.

If you think that the US food supply is unsafe and that food companies/restaurants practice unsafe processing methods and that they market dog food to children, then you need to take up your complaint with the USDA and the FDA.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:If you think that the US food supply is unsafe and that food companies/restaurants practice unsafe processing methods and that they market dog food to children, then you need to take up your complaint with the USDA and the FDA.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

Pink slime is the common name for a controversial beef product. The name used in the meat industry is lean finely textured beef (LFTB)[3] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT).[4] It is also known by the dysphemistic slang term soylent pink.[5][6][7][8] Pink slime is a processed beef product that was originally used in pet food and cooking oil and later approved for public consumption.[9] In 2001, The United States approved the product for limited human consumption and it was used as a food additive to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as a filler at a ratio of usually no more than 25 percent of any product. The production process uses heat in centrifuges to separate the fat from the meat in beef trimmings.[10] The resulting product is exposed to ammonia gas or citric acid to kill bacteria.[10][11]

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

If you think beating a child is the same as taking him to McDonald's for a Happy Meal, then you and I will never see eye to eye.

If you think that the US food supply is unsafe and that food companies/restaurants practice unsafe processing methods and that they market dog food to children, then you need to take up your complaint with the USDA and the FDA.  
 Exactly. Restaurants must comply with standards set by the government. McDonald's operates well within the requirements.

Beating your children is illegal.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:If you think that the US food supply is unsafe and that food companies/restaurants practice unsafe processing methods and that they market dog food to children, then you need to take up your complaint with the USDA and the FDA.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

Pink slime is the common name for a controversial beef product. The name used in the meat industry is lean finely textured beef (LFTB)[3] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT).[4] It is also known by the dysphemistic slang term soylent pink.[5][6][7][8] Pink slime is a processed beef product that was originally used in pet food and cooking oil and later approved for public consumption.[9] In 2001, The United States approved the product for limited human consumption and it was used as a food additive to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as a filler at a ratio of usually no more than 25 percent of any product. The production process uses heat in centrifuges to separate the fat from the meat in beef trimmings.[10] The resulting product is exposed to ammonia gas or citric acid to kill bacteria.[10][11]
So?  There are lots of things in dog food that are in people food. Again, if you think something is dangerous, you need to take it up with the Fed government.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Try a 1200 cal. Patty Melt from Whataburger.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

I've said it several times.  If someone isn't of the mental capacity to grasp the long term, negative consequences of consuming a product, there should be a law that prohibits their consumption of said product.

You can't feed your kid dog food that has been repurposed to look like beef through some processing with ammonia.
And, the government can't fix stupid!

ImpishScoundrel wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

And, the government can't fix stupid!
How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited? - Page 2 Th?id=H.4797200403794769&pid=1

Sure they can that's why all Congressmen and other high ranking political figures have to receive a frontal lobotomy prior to taking office.....

Wait a second!!!!!...

??????

scratch 

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Very Happy

VectorMan

VectorMan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Mr. Circular logic strikes again. LOL Why don't you just say what you mean in your first post? Why all the stupid questions about "giving kids cigarettes and liqour"? Not even on the same map. Well, maybe they're on one of your charts/graphs. Sigh...........

Cost is a valid argument. But, I believe liberals are only worried about the cost of certain things when it takes away from their crippling social experiments. This would be another one of those, doomed to fail like so many others.

Another goddamn REGULATION? Are fucking kidding me? Americans and America are so over regulated it's unbelievable. Another regulation to be enforced/regulated by by an over bloated, unorganized government bleeding out money like a busted water balloon. No thanks. I'll vote against that every time.

Wait for the coming culling. Soon, or maybe they can already do it, genetics will tell parents their new child will probably be fat/obese. Take care of it before it costs money and end it in the womb. The liberal progressive way. Bring on the death panels. Deplorable!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum