Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited?

+6
Sal
2seaoat
Nekochan
TEOTWAWKI
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

boards of FL

boards of FL

I know I know.  "The government has no right to come between me and whatever crap I feed my child!"

http://politicalblindspot.org/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver famously coined this the “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” Oliver asked.

Should it even be legal for a parent to serve a food to a child - someone without the mental capacity to weigh the long term consequences of what they consume - that in its early stages isn't even fit for human consumption?  

Can we start putting cigarettes in happy meals?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:I know I know.  "The government has no right to come between me and whatever crap I feed my child!"

http://politicalblindspot.org/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver famously coined this the “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” Oliver asked.
Should it even be legal for a parent to serve a food to a child - someone without the mental capacity to weigh the long term consequences of what they consume - that in its early stages isn't even fit for human consumption?  

Can we start putting cigarettes in happy meals?
 A steady diet of fast food is not good for anyone.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You mean like gardasil that has killed over a hundred girls ? I don't know ask seagoat he's a eugenicist I think.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Has the USDA named this process (“washed” in ammonium hydroxide) as safe?  Do other companies/products use this process?  

Why pick on McDonalds?  Just ban all processed foods!

2seaoat

T's fantasy..............

Merck & Co. conducted a Phase III study named Females United to Unilaterally Reduce Endo/Ectocervical Disease (FUTURE II). This clinical trial was a randomized double-blind study with one controlled placebo group and one vaccination group. Over 12,000 women aged 16–26 from thirteen countries participated in the study. Each woman was injected with either Gardasil or a placebo on day 1, month 2, and month 6. In total, 6,082 women were given Gardasil and 6,075 received the placebo.[13] Subjects in the vaccine group had a significantly lower occurrence of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia related to HPV-16 or HPV-18 than did those in the placebo group.[13] On February 27, 2006, the independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board recommended the clinical trials be terminated on ethical grounds, so that young women on placebo could receive Gardasil.

You go ahead and give your loved ones placebos.......do not let the science get in the way of your superstition and paranoia.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:Has the USDA named this process (“washed” in ammonium hydroxide) as safe?  Do other companies/products use this process?  

Yikes....we need to ban beer, malts, and distilled spirits containing more than 15% alcohol. They contain ammonium.

Boards stop indulging in alcoholic beverages!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Has the USDA named this process (“washed” in ammonium hydroxide) as safe?  Do other companies/products use this process?  

Yikes....we need to ban beer, malts, and distilled spirits containing more than 15% alcohol. They contain ammonium.

Boards stop indulging in alcoholic beverages!
Wink 

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Boards stop indulging in alcoholic beverages!

I possess the mental capacity to weigh the long term consequences of consuming alcohol.  The target market for happy meals does not.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:T's fantasy..............

Merck & Co. conducted a Phase III study named Females United to Unilaterally Reduce Endo/Ectocervical Disease (FUTURE II). This clinical trial was a randomized double-blind study with one controlled placebo group and one vaccination group. Over 12,000 women aged 16–26 from thirteen countries participated in the study. Each woman was injected with either Gardasil or a placebo on day 1, month 2, and month 6. In total, 6,082 women were given Gardasil and 6,075 received the placebo.[13] Subjects in the vaccine group had a significantly lower occurrence of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia related to HPV-16 or HPV-18 than did those in the placebo group.[13] On February 27, 2006, the independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board recommended the clinical trials be terminated on ethical grounds, so that young women on placebo could receive Gardasil.

You go ahead and give your loved ones placebos.......do not let the science get in the way of your superstition and paranoia.
Bullshit. Just big pharma bullshit...any fool that lets their child have these shots deserve to be charged with child abuse.

Spain Withdraws Merck Gardasil Vaccine After Illnesses - AGE ...

France Says "No" As They Ban Gardasil Ads

http://sanevax.org/

http://sanevax.org/gardasil-changed-our-dreams-to-nightmares/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Boards stop indulging in alcoholic beverages!
I possess the mental capacity to weigh the long term consequences of consuming alcohol.  The target market for happy meals does not.
Even though your drinks contain ammonium? Might as well light up a cigarette.

As far as mental capacity regarding Happy Meals.   Isn't that what parents are for?

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 8/13/2013, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Who controls the information about drugs? The FDA? The doctors who write the study reports? No...it's the drug companies. This is just one of the things that Dr. Oz tells about in his show. He's entertaining as he interviews and gets across these truths about Big Pharma.

http://www.gaia-health.com/articles451/000459-dr-oz-four-things-drug-companies.shtml

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Isn't that what parents are for?
Fair enough then. So parents should be able to serve harmful foods to children? That is your stance?

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Fair enough then.  So parents should be able to serve harmful foods to children?  That is your stance?
If a parent serves ice cream to their child as the main course for breakfast, lunch and dinner....do you want to ban ice cream parlors?

A McDonald's hamburger, once in a while, is not going to harm a child. Neither is an ice cream cone.

Just about anything, including water, can be harmful if too much is consumed.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Fair enough then.  So parents should be able to serve harmful foods to children?  That is your stance?
 Awe.   Is that what you think I said?

Parents are suppose to possess the mental capacity to weigh the long term consequences of consuming too many Happy Meals.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 8/13/2013, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sal

Sal

True story ...

I knew a boy who as a toddler, when he became too rambunctious, his mother would mix a shot of bourbon in with his formula, so he'd get sleepy.

Is that OK?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:True story ...

I knew a boy who as a toddler, when he became too rambunctious, his mother would mix a shot of bourbon in with his formula, so he'd get sleepy.

Is that OK?
Do you think it is ok?  Should the government ban  bourbon?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:If a parent serves ice cream to their child as the main course for breakfast, lunch and dinner....do you want to ban ice cream parlors?

A McDonald's hamburger, once in a while, is not going to harm a child.  Neither is an ice cream cone.  

And in a perfect world, parents would be of sound mind and would recognize McDonald's to be serving food that for the most part is not fit for human consumption.  They would eliminate or, at least reduce their trips to McDonald's.  Children would be healthy and there would be no obesity epidemic.

How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWvUr--ZPl1dwpFL38JhYS6-g7ugPII4CxakA7kKbjSlX6s11TPA

Hell, a little dog food every now and then isn't going to kill a kid. I can't help but cringe seeing an adult rationalize feeding shit to a child due the reasoning that "Well, it won't kill them if you only give it to them every now and then." Is that really where society should set the legal limit on what an adult can give a kid? Are our standards really that low?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Parents are suppose to possess the mental capacity to weigh the long term consequences of consuming too many Happy Meals.
Should society protect children like those shown in the picture I posted above, or is that just a parental decision?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:If a parent serves ice cream to their child as the main course for breakfast, lunch and dinner....do you want to ban ice cream parlors?

A McDonald's hamburger, once in a while, is not going to harm a child.  Neither is an ice cream cone.  

And in a perfect world, parents would be of sound mind and would recognize McDonald's to be serving food that for the most part is not fit for human consumption.  They would eliminate or, at least reduce their trips to McDonald's.  Children would be healthy and there would be no obesity epidemic.

How bad must a product be before consumption by children is prohibited? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWvUr--ZPl1dwpFL38JhYS6-g7ugPII4CxakA7kKbjSlX6s11TPA

Hell, a little dog food every now and then isn't going to kill a kid. I can't help but cringe seeing an adult rationalize feeding shit to a child due the reasoning that "Well, it won't kill them if you only give it to them every now and then."  Is that really where society should set the legal limit on what an adult can give a kid?  Are our standards really that low?

Didn't you say your parents bought you Happy Meals? Were there standards that low?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote: Didn't you say your parents bought you Happy Meals? Were there standards that low?
We didn't know then what we know now; hence this thread. Now that we know that McDonald's uses meat that is not fit for human consumption, and basically puts it through an ammonia wash and re-purposes it so that it just meets minimum standards to be consumed by human beings...now that we know this, shouldn't we take the next logical step and say only adults can consume this crap? At the very least, shouldn't we prohibit the marketing of this waste to children via happy meals?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Boards in order to prevent obesity in the picture you posted....you need to realize it was not McDonald's that caused the situation......100% of the blame lies with the irresponsible parent.

Worst obesity problem in a child I witnessed was a 250 lb 8 year old. He died in the ER of congestive heart failure.....it was not caused by McDonald's.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Boards in order to prevent obesity in the picture you posted....you need to realize it was not McDonald's that caused the situation......100% of the blame lies with the irresponsible parent.
Correct. So is that a valid explanation then? "Hmm. That was the parents decision". That is the question here. The kid isn't of the mental capacity to decide to eat McDonald's or not. Should these kids be afforded any protection by society from irresponsible parents? At what point do you cross the line from "parental decision" to "illegal"?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Do you think it is ok?  Should the government ban  bourbon?
No one has suggested as much. Re-read the thread title.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote: Didn't you say your parents bought you Happy Meals? Were there standards that low?
We didn't know then what we know now; hence this thread.  Now that we know that McDonald's uses meat that is not fit for human consumption, and basically puts it through an ammonia wash and re-purposes it so that it just meets minimum standards to be consumed by human beings...now that we know this, shouldn't we take the next logical step and say only adults can consume this crap?  At the very least, shouldn't we prohibit the marketing of this waste to children via happy meals?

That is only your opinion that it's not fit for human consumption. If your thinking was followed, all sweets and snacks would be banned.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Do you think it is ok?  Should the government ban  bourbon?

The boy was a contemporary of mine, so this happened four decades ago.

My mother told me about it.

At the time I think she thought it was irresponsible parenting.

With studies over the past four decades showing the adverse effects of alcohol on the developing brain, today I feel certain it would be considered child abuse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum