Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals

+8
Floridatexan
VectorMan
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
boards of FL
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should fast food restaurants be allowed to market their products to children?

Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals I_vote_lcap67%Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals I_vote_rcap 67% [ 8 ]
Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals I_vote_lcap33%Taco Bell to stop serving kids meals I_vote_rcap 33% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Should other restaurants follow suit?  I would argue that fast food is nearly on par with smoking.  Should these restaurants be allowed to market their "food" to children?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/news/companies/taco-bell-kids-meals/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Nekochan

Nekochan

They absolutely shouldn't be restricted by law from offering kids' meals. I don't think a kid's meal once in a while is going to hurt a kid.

That said, when I was growing up (before Happy Meals!)--a trip to McDonald's was a special occasion. Back then, getting fast food wasn't something most families did often.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Why not? Most fast food chains do it.

Like Neko said, it's a treat for kids. Occasional meals from fast food franchises will not harm kids. A steady diet of fast food is another thing.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Nekochan wrote:They absolutely shouldn't be restricted by law from offering kids' meals.   I don't think a kid's meal once in a while is going to hurt a kid.  

That said, when I was growing up (before Happy Meals!)--a trip to McDonald's was a special occasion.  Back then, getting fast food wasn't something most families did often.  

I remember when you could get a McDonald's burger, fries and a small coke for $0.35. They cut their own fries from potatoes back then, and I am sure cooked them in lard, because they tasted really good.

We didn't get fast food often either back then (mid 1960s time frame).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Occasional meals from fast food franchises will not harm kids. A steady diet of fast food is another thing.

Nor will the occasional cigarette.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Junk food marketed to kids

+

Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents in the past 30 years.1, 2

The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2010. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.1, 2

In 2010, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.1

Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3 Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.4

Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6

+

Childhood obesity has both immediate and long-term effects on health and well-being.

Immediate health effects:

Obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. In a population-based sample of 5- to 17-year-olds, 70% of obese youth had at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease.7

Obese adolescents are more likely to have prediabetes, a condition in which blood glucose levels indicate a high risk for development of diabetes.8,9

Children and adolescents who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self-esteem.5,6,10

Long-term health effects:

Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults11-14 and are therefore more at risk for adult health problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.6  

One study showed that children who became obese as early as age 2 were more likely to be obese as adults.12

Overweight and obesity are associated with increased risk for many types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, colon, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, pancreas, gall bladder, thyroid, ovary, cervix, and prostate, as well as multiple myeloma and Hodgkin’s lymphoma.15

=

Forever rising healthcare costs that dwarf that of the rest of the world.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Occasional meals from fast food franchises will not harm kids. A steady diet of fast food is another thing.

Did you ever have a Happy Meal while growing up?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Did you ever have a Happy Meal while growing up?

I did.  Probably shouldn't have, but I did.  And I wanted them more than other foods because I was incentivized by a toy, an interesting lunch box, and a playground.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

When McDonalds opened up where I was raised , I had 10 hamburgers and two vanilla shakes my first visit..Best thing had I had ever eaten...We ate a lot of wonder bread and baloney back then....

2seaoat

I did. Probably shouldn't have, but I did. And I wanted them more than other foods because I was incentivized by a toy, an interesting lunch box, and a playground.

I am eating at Macs more than I ever did. I have oatmeal and an egg mcmuffin in the morning, and chicken wraps and a side salad, sometimes for lunch. The oatmeal with fruit is the best. I rarely have fries or a hamburger, and often get fruit slices which they give the kids. They really do have some healthy choices, and if a parent wants to stray from those choices it is their call, but without question the obesity problems are out of control with young kids and I think it goes to diet at home more than fast food. When I shop, I cannot believe what big people are putting in their carts....the carbs and sweets just make you shake your head. I would say Macs is healthier than some of the buffets where people just gorge themselves with their kids following suit.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

OOseaoat...try the Chick Fil-a chicken wrap with the honey-mustard dressing.

2seaoat

OOseaoat...try the Chick Fil-a chicken wrap with the honey-mustard dressing.

I just had two Mac honey mustard wraps....they are good, but I much prefer Chick fil-a , but I have to drive 5 miles or walk across the street to Macs......so I have been hitting up Macs.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Nekochan wrote:They absolutely shouldn't be restricted by law from offering kids' meals.   I don't think a kid's meal once in a while is going to hurt a kid.  

That said, when I was growing up (before Happy Meals!)--a trip to McDonald's was a special occasion.  Back then, getting fast food wasn't something most families did often.  

The liberal nanny state would love nothing more than to regulate fast food out of existence. They'd regulate exactly how much fat, salt and protein  could be in a burger. They've already started with sugar (Bloomberg). Remember they say it's toxic. More and bigger government and more control over our very lives. Soft tyranny to begin with.

It was a rare thing indeed, to get fast food when I was a kid. My Mom and Dad were both great cooks. Dad was a Navy cook for 26 plus years. He made the best giant Texas glazed donuts. On par with Krispy Kreme. Yum!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

What is the biggest contributor to childhood obesity? Consumption of mass-quantities of soda-pop and sweetened fruit drinks (aka "sports drinks"). Seven-Eleven didn't sell 32-ounce Big Gulps when I was a kid.

Moreover, those sodas and fruit drinks are laden with HFCS, which is bad stuff. Fructrose is deadly poison to the human body, even though it tastes so amazingly sweet. The fructose component of table sugar is what makes sucrose so sweet.

...In saying this, I have not had any candy in a week. This is my second vacation from sugar in the last 7-months. The first lasted two months, but all of that Christmas candy made me backslide. I am back on the wagon again, and hopefull for much longer (with the occassional very small indulgence). My candy now seems to be raisins and dried blueberries......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

The liberal nanny state would love nothing more than to regulate fast food out of existence.

That is one way to say it, but I would suggest another. We subsidize grain and beef in obscene cash give away to the largest Agri business concerns, yet our subsidies for fruit and vegetable in Agriculture is minimal. Now we go to a fast food restaurant which artificially lowers the real cost of those products which add to obesity and we question regulation. Obesity is the single largest threat to the solvency of our health care system and those governmental costs which the taxpayers bear make little or no sense. If we allowed trucks to use our highway system without regulation as to weights and design, our highway system would be a crumbled mess of asphalt and concrete. We decided to try to maximize loads and design criteria to bring the highest return and safety to Americans.

Why is it a nanny state to talk about food subsidy and regulation, and another animal when we talk about truck regulation. The truth is that those who get grain and beef subsidy should be weaned off the government teat. Products who cause damage to the health of this nation like a fat over weight truck should pay taxes to offset the costs to the system. I do not care if a Nanny uses a scale and weighs a truck and licenses that truck and collects taxes based on weight. I certainly think that sales tax on food should not be a uniform across the board tax but should be weighed against objective scientific evidence of the impact of those food products put in the stream of commerce, and ultimately the cost of health care. Go look at the kids on the playground.....it is shocking and I think Boards brings up a subject which must be discussed, but I do not want somebody telling me I cannot ship my product in a truck........I accept that I will pay a tax and license fee for the same, but it is time to weigh and measure the impacts of foods on our national health system which like our national road system must be maintained and the cost for the same allocated.

2seaoat

My candy now seems to be raisins and dried blueberries......

I have been ranting about Mac's Oatmeal and how they naturally sweeten it with some cream and fresh fruit. It is the best, and it is healthy. Walk into a gas station. It is addictive poison, and children are getting hooked. I remember the corner store in North Birmingham, and there was just this small section with sweets, and today when you walk into a gas station, there is not a fricking healthy thing in the entire store.

boards of FL

boards of FL

VectorMan wrote:The liberal nanny state would love nothing more than to regulate fast food out of existence. They'd regulate exactly how much fat, salt and protein  could be in a burger. They've already started with sugar (Bloomberg). Remember they say it's toxic. More and bigger government and more control over our very lives. Soft tyranny to begin with.

You have missed the point.  We're talking about marketing fast food to kids.  Children.  People who do not possess the mental capacity to make sound, informed decisions for themselves.  People who are in fact in need of some "nanny state" or guidance.  

If we are going to allow large, international corporations to market pink slime that has been sprayed with ammonia and artificially colored to look like beef to children via a toy and a cool lunch box, why not allow cigarette manufacturers to market their products to kids?  Who is the government to stand in the way of a parent and their morbidly obese 5 year old that chain smokes and is an alcoholic?

This is common sense stuff here.

VectorMan

VectorMan

boards of FL wrote:
VectorMan wrote:The liberal nanny state would love nothing more than to regulate fast food out of existence. They'd regulate exactly how much fat, salt and protein  could be in a burger. They've already started with sugar (Bloomberg). Remember they say it's toxic. More and bigger government and more control over our very lives. Soft tyranny to begin with.

You have missed the point.  We're talking about marketing fast food to kids.  Children.  People who do not possess the mental capacity to make sound, informed decisions for themselves.  People who are in fact in need of some "nanny state" or guidance.  

If we are going to allow large, international corporations to market pink slime that has been sprayed with ammonia and artificially colored to look like beef to children via a toy and a cool lunch box, why not allow cigarette manufacturers to market their products to kids?  Who is the government to stand in the way of a parent and their morbidly obese 5 year old that chain smokes and is an alcoholic?

I say it's the child's parents that need to use their common sense. Of course some parents don't have common sense. But, that doesn't mean we need the govt regulating common sense. That's not the function of govt.

Why would liberals be worried about a morbidly obese 5 year old that they would have rather killed in the womb?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

VectorMan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I say it's the child's parents that need to use their common sense. Of course some parents don't have common sense. But, that doesn't mean we need the govt regulating common sense. That's not the function of govt.

Why would liberals be worried about a morbidly obese 5 year old that they would have rather killed in the womb?

You're a very stupid man.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I never, ever go to Taco Bell. They can sell whatever they want, but I'm not buying it. However, other than outright violations of health regulations, they have the right to sell their products, substandard as they may be.

boards of FL

boards of FL

VectorMan wrote:I say it's the child's parents that need to use their common sense. Of course some parents don't have common sense. But, that doesn't mean we need the govt regulating common sense.

So then if there were some public vote on whether or not cigarettes can be marketed to kids by the big manufacturers and served to kids by their parents, you would support big tobacco and parental-approved smoking by minors?

boards of FL wrote:

No ones missed the point. Kids dont purchase this stuff, the adults do. What income does a 5 year old have?

also, what damn bussiness is it of your or the gov if people want to get fat and die early? Oh yeah, thats right now that the gov is providing healthcare they can run your life and tell you what to eat or not. Wasnt that the point all along? Oh yes it was. Mr Nanny state lover.

And comparing cigs to happy meals, wow!!!! I think you may be high or something. A out of control far left left communistic liberal on the warpath to save humaity from itself. How sweet.

Perhaps the gov can put electric shock collars on all of us, keep us in tiny pens aka sub mini eco apartments, asign us all a gov job they picked while force feeding us some food that most likely taste and looks like porage.

YEAH!!!!! Now thats living it up in America............................

VectorMan

VectorMan

Floridatexan wrote:
VectorMan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

You're a very stupid man.

You're a very toxic woman and not the sharpest tool in the shed.

VectorMan

VectorMan

boards of FL wrote:
VectorMan wrote:I say it's the child's parents that need to use their common sense. Of course some parents don't have common sense. But, that doesn't mean we need the govt regulating common sense.

So then if there were some public vote on whether or not cigarettes can be marketed to kids by the big manufacturers and served to kids by their parents, you would support big tobacco and parental-approved smoking by minors?

Of course not. But, go ahead and impress us all with your circular logic.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I agree...comparing happy meals to cigarettes is over the top. This is a parent's decision.  I support the ban on selling cigarettes to underage teens. But 5 year olds don't buy cigarettes and they don't buy happy meals. And a happy meal once in a while isn't going to hurt a kid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum