Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama's mistake on Trayvon Martin case

+5
Sal
knothead
VectorMan
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Hmmmmm.....

"(CNN) -- Every American can make their own judgment about whether justice was served by the verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial but one thing we should all recognize: President Obama's interference in a local law enforcement matter was unprecedented and inappropriate, and he comes away from the case looking badly tarnished by his poor judgment.
"If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," the president said when asked about the case in the Rose Garden on March 23, 2012, after many had called for Zimmerman's arrest but several weeks before he was charged. "When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids."
In fact, if the president had a son, he would have been born to extraordinary privilege and raised with all the advantages of two very affluent and highly educated parents. He would have gone to tony private schools. His path in life would have been almost as dissimilar from Trayvon's as one could imagine.
Yes, Obama's hypothetical son and Trayvon would have shared the same brown skin color. Would that have made them interchangeable? Not unless all brown-skinned boys are the same. Does the president really believe that?
The president's remarks created a clear impression that he was motivated by one of two factors, and we can only guess as to which, or what combination of the two, was at work here. One possibility is that this is merely another manifestation of the president's well-known narcissism: No matter what the situation may be, it's all about him.
The other, more troubling possibility is that the president surrendered to his political instincts. He wants disadvantaged Americans to believe that he and his family are one of them -- despite their life of unparalleled privilege -- and he wanted the prosecutors, judge and jury to believe that this was a case about race where justice demanded a guilty verdict."

Rest:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/opinion/thernstrom-trayvon-martin-obama/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

nochain wrote:Hmmmmm.....

"(CNN) -- Every American can make their own judgment about whether justice was served by the verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial but one thing we should all recognize: President Obama's interference in a local law enforcement matter was unprecedented and inappropriate, and he comes away from the case looking badly tarnished by his poor judgment.
"If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," the president said when asked about the case in the Rose Garden on March 23, 2012, after many had called for Zimmerman's arrest but several weeks before he was charged. "When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids."
In fact, if the president had a son, he would have been born to extraordinary privilege and raised with all the advantages of two very affluent and highly educated parents. He would have gone to tony private schools. His path in life would have been almost as dissimilar from Trayvon's as one could imagine.
Yes, Obama's hypothetical son and Trayvon would have shared the same brown skin color. Would that have made them interchangeable? Not unless all brown-skinned boys are the same. Does the president really believe that?
The president's remarks created a clear impression that he was motivated by one of two factors, and we can only guess as to which, or what combination of the two, was at work here. One possibility is that this is merely another manifestation of the president's well-known narcissism: No matter what the situation may be, it's all about him.
The other, more troubling possibility is that the president surrendered to his political instincts. He wants disadvantaged Americans to believe that he and his family are one of them -- despite their life of unparalleled privilege -- and he wanted the prosecutors, judge and jury to believe that this was a case about race where justice demanded a guilty verdict."

Rest:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/opinion/thernstrom-trayvon-martin-obama/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

In light of the high number of school aged children that have lost their lives to violence
In Chicago, without any commentary from Obama, confirms Obama is a media whore and racist.

It was highly unprofessional and inappropriate for the potus or any chief executive to have done.

But to be fair... obama probably had no idea... considering his background and experience.

2seaoat

Mr Chain,

I will ask you one simple question. If you were a black father, what would you tell your teenager children they should do when encountered by the police or a stranger? I have thought about this and I do not have a good answer.

In America today, I think it is fair to say that black male teenagers get profiled. If the President of the United States has two eyes and a functioning brain he can see the same. Is stand your ground simply excusable murder, or is it a legitimate fear we are talking about. I think it is a political question on drawing the line of fear as to what is reasonable. I think to be able to clarify the line drawing, it must be a political question. The gun merchants want no liability for use of a firearm. I think the solution is simple. Mandatory liability insurance where all killings allow a civil suit where preponderance of the evidence is allowed, or much much more carefully drawn lines on what is reasonable fear. This process either way will require political debate. I think the president who commented on Evers murder or Tills murder were not out of place both on a moral and political plane, but this trial has done a great deal of good.........the debate will lead to better lines being drawn, and hopefully more caution when using deadly force.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Obama is beyond "tarnished". He's moved on to "oxidation". I think "rust" is next.

knothead

knothead

When President Obama made that public statement I considered whether the lines of presidential decorum had been crossed or whether our President displayed courage in the face of an obvious problem that persists in our country. It was a measured and carefully worded statement but it speaks volumes.

I agree with seaoat that if any good came from this tragic event it would be an opportunity to have a meaningful dialogue about the perils of being a young black teenager in this country. Also, the concept that seaoat suggested to require a liability policy to pay civil penalties when these things occur in the future.

2seaoat

It was highly unprofessional and inappropriate for the potus or any chief executive to have done.

It is not unprofessional for a president to talk about a killing of a 17 year old, and it is not inappropriate. Political leaders all over America commented on the Till murder. To say that a President is unprofessional or that it is inappropriate is laughable because from that bully pulpit many a president have made statements............and somewhere in America someone would find some statement unprofessional or inappropriate.......so what does that fact and a can of beans get you?

2seaoat

In light of the high number of school aged children that have lost their lives to violence
In Chicago, without any commentary from Obama, confirms Obama is a media whore and racist.

Why would you post this blatant lie. You come on the forum and say Obama has had no commentary on the high number of school aged children that have lost their lives to violence in Chicago..........

It is not necessary to lie. You certainly are entitled to your opinion that the President is a media whore and racist.........I can see it now when Obama is in the shower.....slap......get your cracker asz out of my shower......a little later.....slap.......get your N asz out of my shower.......I love that well thought out conclusion........dad....get your N asz out of here, or mom.....get your cracker asz out of here..........

The lies are unnecessary, and you are certainly entitled to the bizarre assumption that Obama is a racist.......I would like to hear your reasoning.....truthful now.....or Santa is going to leave you a lump of coal.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:When President Obama made that public statement I considered whether the lines of presidential decorum had been crossed or whether our President displayed courage in the face of an obvious problem that persists in our country.  It was a measured and carefully worded statement but it speaks volumes.

I agree with seaoat that if any good came from this tragic event it would be an opportunity to have a meaningful dialogue about the perils of being a young black teenager in this country.  Also, the concept that seaoat suggested to require a liability policy to pay civil penalties when these things occur in the future.
The line of presidential decorum was crossed when Obama spoke out against the Boston police officer. ... that created the media sensation, Beer Summit.

The "take care clause" explicitly states that the president must ensure that laws are faithfully followed and executed.

Further... his solemn responsibility to the judicial powers entitles him to appoint legal officers all the way up to the ag and supreme court justices. For him to speak on an open case under state laws and jurisdiction is curious to say the least... as it carries undue weight and influence that no individual citizen may counter. In other words it presents a conflict between a govt of laws and a govt of men. Ours is a govt of laws... not to be usurped by the folly of men except as a lawful presiding judge or selected jury of peers may apply the law to an individual complaint.

I find his statement on ANY open case inappropriate... don't forget he can also set aside judgments and pardon convictions.

2seaoat

The line of presidential decorum was crossed when Obama spoke out against the Boston police officer. ... that created the media sensation, Beer Summit.

I would disagree. The bully pulpit has always been a platform where Presidents address issues they feel important. Decorum.......well if President Obama was a judge who was going to hear that case I would completely agree with the breach of decorum. However, a President has that pulpit, and certainly profiling has not been getting better in America since he raised the issue.

2seaoat

The "take care clause" explicitly states that the president must ensure that laws are faithfully followed and executed.

If you are going to hand me the catalytic convertor and tell me it is the transmission........well, I am going to correct you. The local SA was investigating a common state level crime. By you suggesting that the President in his executive capacity has any authority over the SA faithfully following and executing the laws.......well you need a primer on our constitution. The Presidents comments and all those who came before him who have commented on a pending criminal matter in a State court are not violating decorum, the constitution, or the law, they are using the bully pulpit. If you do not like the man, that is one thing, but to suggest that because President Obama uses the bully pulpit it is a violation of the take care clause under the constitution.........I am weary.

2seaoat wrote:Mr Chain,

I will ask you one simple question.   If you were a black father, what would you tell your teenager children they should do when encountered by the police or a stranger?  I have thought about this and I do not have a good answer.

In America today, I think it is fair to say that black male teenagers get profiled.  

Knowing many black men with either teens or grown children I feel they would say the same as I do: don't run with the wrong crowd, don't go places you shouldn't, stay in school, don't do drugs, etc. - you know - all the usual parent stuff.

Society can't protect someone if the "someone" won't follow the rules.

That said, if you think a white can't be profiled go to the inner city in our nations very own capitol. Once when I was a fresh caught U.S.N. Ensign (and in uniform) I got lost in D.C. while driving to take a hard hat test dive at the Washington Navy Yard. I was pulled over by a D.C. cop who asked "WTH are you doing here"? When I explained he said lock your doors and follow me.....In danger while white. That doesn't register on some peoples radar apparently. It works both ways.

Sal

Sal

Silliness.

The president reassured the public that there would be a thorough investigation, and expressed his personal reaction to the loss of life.

Totally appropriate.

Nekochan

Nekochan

President Obama made some inappropriate comments about military sexual assaults and it's caused many problems for the military legal system. I posted about it yesterday but I don't think there was a response.

2seaoat wrote:[b] By you suggesting that the President in his executive capacity has any authority over the SA faithfully following and executing the laws.......well you need a primer on our constitution.    The Presidents comments and all those who came before him who have commented on a pending criminal matter in a State court are not violating decorum, the constitution, or the law, they are using the bully pulpit.  

I posted this elsewhere but it seems appropriate to post it here too - however "innocent" or well-intentioned it would appear, words from the Pres throw weight:

"Obama Military Sexual Assault Comments Were 'Unlawful Command Influence,' Judge Says"

Navy Judge Cmdr. Marcus Fulton ruled that President Barack Obama's comments on military sexual assault could affect the sentencing in two cases, according to Stars and Stripes.

During pretrial hearings in the cases, Fulton said “unlawful command influence” derived from Obama's remarks could influence a potential sentencing in the two cases, according to according to court documents obtained by Stars and Stripes. The judge's ruling could have an impact on other sexual assault cases in the military.

On May 7, Obama said he has “no tolerance” for sexual assault in the military.

"I expect consequences,” Obama said. “So I don’t just want more speeches or awareness programs or training, but ultimately folks look the other way. If we find out somebody’s engaging in this, they’ve got to be held accountable – prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged. Period.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/15/obama-military-sexual-assault_n_3447523.html

2seaoat

I feel like I am becoming the forum jerk......I mean.....I suppose I could just shut up and let this nonsense continue to spew.....but one after the other mistake is made, and folks just take misinformation as the gosphel.

I find his statement on ANY open case inappropriate... don't forget he can also set aside judgments and pardon convictions.

Ok, I will continue to be the know it all wanabee lawyer, but geez you do not have to be a lawyer to know that Zimmerman was charged in an indictment under state law. You do not have to be a college graduate to know that a President can only give a pardon under federal law.....and you only have to be a high school graduate to know that throughout the history of this country our presidents have commented on crime and prejudice in America. Please somebody help me...........it just never stops on these threads.....utter and complete fabrications of the law, what a president has said, or understanding of concepts........I am now the official forum jerk.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:Silliness.

The president reassured the public that there would be a thorough investigation, and expressed his personal reaction to the loss of life.

Totally appropriate.

Did he express personal reaction to other incidents of one individual losing their life?

Nekochan

Nekochan

nochain wrote:
2seaoat wrote:[b] By you suggesting that the President in his executive capacity has any authority over the SA faithfully following and executing the laws.......well you need a primer on our constitution.    The Presidents comments and all those who came before him who have commented on a pending criminal matter in a State court are not violating decorum, the constitution, or the law, they are using the bully pulpit.  

I posted this elsewhere but it seems appropriate to post it here too - however "innocent" or well-intentioned it would appear, words from the Pres throw weight:

"Obama Military Sexual Assault Comments Were 'Unlawful Command Influence,' Judge Says"

Navy Judge Cmdr. Marcus Fulton ruled that President Barack Obama's comments on military sexual assault could affect the sentencing in two cases, according to Stars and Stripes.

During pretrial hearings in the cases, Fulton said “unlawful command influence” derived from Obama's remarks could influence a potential sentencing in the two cases, according to according to court documents obtained by Stars and Stripes. The judge's ruling could have an impact on other sexual assault cases in the military.

On May 7, Obama said he has “no tolerance” for sexual assault in the military.

"I expect consequences,” Obama said. “So I don’t just want more speeches or awareness programs or training, but ultimately folks look the other way. If we find out somebody’s engaging in this, they’ve got to be held accountable – prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged. Period.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/15/obama-military-sexual-assault_n_3447523.html

Thanks, I posted a thread about this yesterday, but no one commented. You would think that Obama, being a lawyer AND commander in chief....would know better.

Joanimaroni wrote:

Totally appropriate.

Did he express personal reaction to other incidents of one individual losing their life?

BHO wasn't even this involved over Benghazi. Oh that's right, I just looked at the 4 photos of the MURDERED Americans again and remember why. My bad.......

[quote="Nekochan"]
nochain wrote:
2seaoat wrote:[b] B

Thanks, I posted a thread about this yesterday, but no one commented. You would think that Obama, being a lawyer AND commander in chief....would know better.

Well you know what happens when he steps away from the teleprompter....His PR folks start inhaling rolaids.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:

Totally appropriate.

His comments were in response to a direct question at a press conference.

The question was asked because this was a national issue with protests happening in major cities across the nation.

His comments - completely and totally appropriate.

This thread - completely and totally silly.

2seaoat

Here we go again. The president is the commander and chief of the military. His statement that a sexual assault should be punished is not in contradiction of the law. He most certainly in his position as commander and chief can make that statement. Using the flawed judges argument, no President could make a political statement that sexual assault should be punished during their term of office because somewhere a pending military trial disallows a president from talking about military justice.......sorry on a constitutional level what the judge has suggested is absurd, on a strict military line of command logic the judge would have to prove that the policy statement of Obama concerning sexual assault in the military was in the nature of a command.......it was not. Now if the judge through his subpoena power can show a direct link of Obama the military leader giving a command to influence the specific trial in question, then most certainly that command to those officers could POSSIBLY meet the command criteria.........A president has the bully pulpit.....and as much as his critics do not like the man, we are not going to have the executive branch neutered by folks who do not understand our laws or constitution.........silly because even common sense does not raise his comments fo a level of concern, yet these stretches continue.

2seaoat

By golly yes he did.....he spoke of the tragedy of a young girl in CHICAGO being gunned down.....and by golly Michelle went to the funeral. You see the president has the bully pulpit. Until you defeat him in an election, or his term expires......the folks that do not like the president will not take that bully pulpit away......so talk all you want about your opinions differing with the president, but please stop on these sophomoric attempts to say he is breaching the law or decorum......he won....the pulpit is his.

Oh and the usual show me the link......will not be dignified in light of prior posts where some have stretched the truth.

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:"Obama Military Sexual Assault Comments Were 'Unlawful Command Influence,' Judge Says"

Here we go again.   The president is the commander and chief of the military.   His statement that a sexual assault should be punished is not in contradiction of the law.  He most certainly in his position as commander and chief can make that statement.   Using the flawed judges argument, no President could make a political statement that sexual assault should be punished during their term of office because somewhere a pending military trial disallows a president from talking about military justice.......sorry on a constitutional level what the judge has suggested is absurd, on a strict military line of command logic the judge would have to prove that the policy statement of Obama concerning sexual assault in the military was in the nature of a command.......it was not.   Now if the judge through his subpoena power can show a direct link of Obama the military leader giving a command to influence the specific trial in question, then most certainly that command to those officers could POSSIBLY meet the command criteria.........A president has the bully pulpit.....and as much as his critics do not like the man, we are not going to have the executive branch neutered by folks who do not understand our laws or constitution.........silly because even common sense does not raise his comments fo a level of concern, yet these stretches continue.

Wrong. He is the defendants' boss and he is the prosecutors' boss and we're not just talking about one case.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum