Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2 Senators: Phone Data Didn't Help Fight Terror

+2
Sal
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Is Obama lying AGAIN????

By Ellen Nakashima
The National Security Agency's massive collection of Americans' phone records has "played little or no role" in the disruption of dozens of terrorist plots, contrary to Obama administration assertions, said two U.S. senators who have access to classified information.
In a statement Wednesday, Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) disputed recent statements by senior administration officials that a top-secret NSA surveillance program to collect tens of millions of domestic calling records from U.S. phone companies has helped thwart more than 50 terrorist plots in the United States and abroad.
The phone-records program, authorized under Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act, was revealed this month after a leak to the Guardian newspaper. Details of a separate program to collect e-mails and other Internet content of foreign targets were also disclosed this month following leaks to the Guardian and The Washington Post.
Both programs, NSA Director Keith B. Alexander said this week, have provided the government with "critical leads" to foil plots, including one to bomb the New York Stock Exchange. He testified to Congress that the Internet program contributed to plot disruptions in "over 90 percent" of the cases.
Wyden and Udall, both members of the Senate Intelligence Committee, acknowledged that "multiple terrorist plots have been disrupted at least in part because of information" from the Internet surveillance program, which is known as PRISM and is authorized under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
But, they said, "saying 'these programs' have disrupted 'dozens of terrorist plots' is misleading if the bulk phone-records collection is actually providing little or no unique value."
They said it is unclear why federal agents do not simply obtain a court order for the phone records of individual terrorist suspects rather than creating a massive government database of records.
Government officials say that having a lawful database at their fingertips provides more agility than having to demand suspects' records from companies through individual court orders. They say that they search the database only when they have "reasonable suspicion" that the target is linked to terrorism.
"It may be more convenient for the NSA to collect this data in bulk, rather than directing specific queries to the various phone companies," said the senators, who have introduced a bill to limit the surveillance. "But in our judgment, convenience alone does not justify the collection of the personal information of huge numbers of ordinary Americans if the same or more information can be obtained using less obtrusive methods."
http://ebird.osd.mil/ebird2/ebfiles/e20130620925301.html

nochain wrote:Is Obama lying AGAIN????

By Ellen Nakashima
The National Security Agency's massive collection of Americans' phone records has "played little or no role" in the disruption of dozens of terrorist plots, contrary to Obama administration assertions, said two U.S. senators who have access to classified information.
In a statement Wednesday, Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) disputed recent statements by senior administration officials that a top-secret NSA surveillance program to collect tens of millions of domestic calling records from U.S. phone companies has helped thwart more than 50 terrorist plots in the United States and abroad.
The phone-records program, authorized under Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act, was revealed this month after a leak to the Guardian newspaper. Details of a separate program to collect e-mails and other Internet content of foreign targets were also disclosed this month following leaks to the Guardian and The Washington Post.
Both programs, NSA Director Keith B. Alexander said this week, have provided the government with "critical leads" to foil plots, including one to bomb the New York Stock Exchange. He testified to Congress that the Internet program contributed to plot disruptions in "over 90 percent" of the cases.
Wyden and Udall, both members of the Senate Intelligence Committee, acknowledged that "multiple terrorist plots have been disrupted at least in part because of information" from the Internet surveillance program, which is known as PRISM and is authorized under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
But, they said, "saying 'these programs' have disrupted 'dozens of terrorist plots' is misleading if the bulk phone-records collection is actually providing little or no unique value."
They said it is unclear why federal agents do not simply obtain a court order for the phone records of individual terrorist suspects rather than creating a massive government database of records.
Government officials say that having a lawful database at their fingertips provides more agility than having to demand suspects' records from companies through individual court orders. They say that they search the database only when they have "reasonable suspicion" that the target is linked to terrorism.
"It may be more convenient for the NSA to collect this data in bulk, rather than directing specific queries to the various phone companies," said the senators, who have introduced a bill to limit the surveillance. "But in our judgment, convenience alone does not justify the collection of the personal information of huge numbers of ordinary Americans if the same or more information can be obtained using less obtrusive methods."
http://ebird.osd.mil/ebird2/ebfiles/e20130620925301.html
     Good thing they are democrats that are disagreeing with the administration's facts (?)...Don't think that it's the phone calls etc.,  that have/are being monitored that is the cause for the concern but rather what is being done with this information and the criteria for gathering this information..as in law enforcement investigations there has to be reasonable suspicion and a higher level of probable cause established...for the government to be fishing with a wide net and the information gathered not being protected and/or used for political reasons is unacceptable at the least and possibly criminal...Further if the information gathered has not been successful in doing as intended then what they have/are doing should be re-evaluated...The problem now is the lack of both trust and credibility towards government agencies and the administration makes most suspicious of their practices...Some here will continue to beat the drum of 'phony scandals' but recent polls on the matter suggest otherwise when asked about trust...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is the reason I never have trusted what that parade of bureaucrat spooks and politicians are telling us about Edward Snowden.  They're just trying to demonize him to take the heat off themselves and their little peeping tom operation.

Let me ask you all a question. These politicians like Cheney and the rest and their media mouthpieces are screaming that Snowden is a traitor who's in bed with the chinese commies.  
But what about the same politicians.  Hell if Snowden is in bed with the commies,  those politicians are not only in bed with the commies,  they have joint ownership with the commies of the fucking bed they're lying in.
They went over there and made deals with the commies to make all the parts for our weapons systems.  
They went over there and made deals with the commies to move all our jobs over there.

Who really are the fucking traitors?

Sal

Sal

The Wall Street banksters are the real traitors and crooks.

The politicians in DC are just their bagmen.

Bob wrote:This is the reason I never have trusted what that parade of bureaucrat spooks and politicians are telling us about Edward Snowden.  They're just trying to demonize him to take the heat off themselves and their little peeping tom operation.

Let me ask you all a question. These politicians like Cheney and the rest and their media mouthpieces are screaming that Snowden is a traitor who's in bed with the chinese commies.  
But what about the same politicians.  Hell if Snowden is in bed with the commies,  those politicians are not only in bed with the commies,  they have joint ownership with the commies of the fucking bed they're lying in.
They went over there and made deals with the commies to make all the parts for our weapons systems.  
They went over there and made deals with the commies to move all our jobs over there.

Who really are the fucking traitors?
      Snowden made the choice to flee to China and release this information and it is not in the best interest of the US and our national security...So by your definition the CEO of GE and advisor to the cowh is a traitor?...When this uneven playing field was discussed during the campaign Romney was portrayed as out of touch...wanting to start a trade war...and not understanding the trade relationship with China...Decades of administrations past have done a wrong by not only dealing and deals made with China (and others) which is not in our national best interests especially when speaking about national defense..Agree with liberal Bob Beckel (and he got blasted from both the right and left) we open our education system to some and they return to China and they begin hacking our systems..

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

newswatcher wrote:
Decades of administrations past have done a wrong by not only dealing and deals made with China (and others) which is not in our national best interest.

So by your definition the CEO of GE and advisor to the cowh is a traitor?.

Exactly correct. And I'm saying if those jackals are defining Snowden to be a traitor then they're even worse traitors.
It's the goofiest example of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever heard of.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Cheney (or his henchman Scooter Libby) outed CIA agent Valerie Plame and her husband Joe Wilson for disputing the claim that the Iraqis had WMD's.  He did it through Judith Miller at the New York Times.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:The Wall Street banksters are the real traitors and crooks.

The politicians in DC are just their bagmen.

Absolutely true. The banksters on Wall Street and the politicians in DC ared in a symbiotic relationship.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Decades of administrations past have done a wrong by not only dealing and deals made with China (and others) which is not in our national best interest.

So by your definition the CEO of GE and advisor to the cowh is a traitor?.

Exactly correct.  And  I'm saying if those jackals are defining Snowden to be a traitor then they're even worse traitors.  
It's the goofiest example of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever heard of.
Leon Trotsky, who also participated in a brutal fascist surveillance state, put it best:

“The real criminals hide under the cloak of the accusers.”

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

If you trust Monsanto, Dupont, Exxon and BP, etc., then you must trust our government too.  It's only fair ...

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:Cheney (or his henchman Scooter Libby) outed CIA agent Valerie Plame and her husband Joe Wilson for disputing the claim that the Iraqis had WMD's.  He did it through Judith Miller at the New York Times.

Flat out lie, as you well know.

Floridatexan, you really should at least make an effort to do some research at some unbiased sources unless you're proud to post lies and hope no one out there is informed. You're safe if your readers are only Progressives. Even if they know the truth, they'll keep quiet.

Armitage's Leak

By Robert D. Novak
Thursday, September 14, 2006

When Richard Armitage finally acknowledged last week that he was my source three years ago in revealing Valerie Plame Wilson as a CIA employee, the former deputy secretary of state's interviews obscured what he really did. I want to set the record straight based on firsthand knowledge.

First, Armitage did not, as he now indicates, merely pass on something he had heard and that he "thought" might be so. Rather, he identified to me the CIA division where Mrs. Wilson worked and said flatly that she recommended the mission to Niger by her husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson. Second, Armitage did not slip me this information as idle chitchat, as he now suggests. He made clear that he considered it especially suited for my column.

An accurate depiction of what Armitage actually said deepens the irony of his being my source. He was a foremost internal skeptic of the administration's war policy, and I had long opposed military intervention in Iraq. Zealous foes of George W. Bush transformed me, improbably, into the president's lapdog. But they cannot fit Armitage into the left-wing fantasy of a well-crafted White House conspiracy to destroy Joe and Valerie Wilson. The news that he, and not Karl Rove, was the leaker was devastating for the left.

Read more:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/13/AR2006091301572.html

Last edited by Markle on 6/22/2013, 7:30 pm; edited 3 times in total

A corporation is out for self interest... I'll notify the press. The core issue as in campaign reform is who do we restrict.

We are free under the constitution to restrict govt in nearly every way... you underestimate our domestication however.

Floridatexan wrote:Cheney (or his henchman Scooter Libby) outed CIA agent Valerie Plame and her husband Joe Wilson for disputing the claim that the Iraqis had WMD's.  He did it through Judith Miller at the New York Times.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnn......so this excuses everything that this administration has done...we get it after all these years the blame on others for the imcompetence of this cowh and his administration is a natural reaction like breathing....

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

1) I don't lie...not if I can help it.

2) Scooter Libby was CONVICTED.

3) I'm blaming BUSH for BUSH'S failures.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/06/AR2007030600648.html

"A federal jury convicted I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby yesterday of lying about his role in the leak of an undercover CIA officer's identity, culminating a four-year legal saga that transfixed official Washington and revealed the inner workings of the White House and the media.
After 10 days of deliberations, the 11 jurors found Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff guilty of four felony counts of making false statements to the FBI, lying to a grand jury and obstructing a probe into the leak of Valerie Plame's identity. The jury acquitted him of one count of lying to the FBI about his conversation with a Time magazine reporter. Libby is the highest-ranking White House official to be convicted of a felony since the Iran-contra scandal nearly two decades ago..."

-------------------

I don't really care who copped to the actual leak...they all knew about it and they're all guilty.  Libby just took the fall for Cheney.  Every single one of them should be wearing stripes and breaking rocks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum