Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

I don't think I've ever seen a potus that has acted more completely opposite of what he promised.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/06/06/the-nsas-secret-collection-of-verizon-phone-data

In the post-9/11 world, the US government has increasingly found ways to expand its surveillance capabilities through secretive court orders, malleable standards, and blanket laws —seemingly without restraint. This latest NSA news only serves to confirm what civil libertarians have long suspected: the NSA has repeatedly engaged in massive surveillance of domestic communications of millions of Americans, regardless of whether they are suspected of a crime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/m/

Through a top-secret program authorized by federal judges working under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), the U.S. intelligence community can gain access to the servers of nine Internet companies for a wide range of digital data. Documents describing the previously undisclosed program, obtained by The Washington Post, show the breadth of U.S. electronic surveillance capabilities in the wake of a widely publicized controversy over warrantless wiretapping of U.S. domestic telephone communications in 2005. These slides represent a selection from the overall document, and certain portions are redacted.

Sal

Sal

The warrant was obtained legally through the FISA court.

That's something new.

Big Brother does as he pleases. but at least he's doing so within the confines of the law this time.

I'm wondering how Obama pulled this off in 2005?

Lurch wrote:I'm wondering how Obama pulled this off in 2005?

Obama was specifically against such activities as a rookie senator and while campaigning for president.

Not that I would expect you to hold him accountable... for anything... ever... no matter what.

Well, well, well and guess who signed that order? The same guy that went after obamacare and a teapartier none other than the honorable Judge Roger Vinson of Pensacola.

There was also a top secret document similar signed by Bush.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:

Obama was specifically against such activities as a rookie senator and while campaigning for president.

Not that I would expect you to hold him accountable... for anything... ever... no matter what.

If it makes you feel any better, the Huffingtonpost took a shot at the president with this article (and photograph) today:

George W. Obama

Click on the name to read the article.
Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens R-obam10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Good... maybe some on the left will actually read that. The last dozen years have fundamentally changed our country. I don't care what people say... we are quickly evolving into an authoritarian State... and the end result won't be utopia.

In a 2008 position paper,then-candidate Barack Obama wrote: "“There is no reason we cannot fight terrorism while maintaining our civil liberties. ... As president, Barack Obama would revisit the Patriot Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision.”

There was only one candidate that would've been materially different... and he was marginalized as a kook.

2seaoat

I don't think I've ever seen a potus that has acted more completely opposite of what he promised.

I have a buddy who was a general in the guard who talked to me about software the Department of Defense had 15 years ago which was picking up all transmissions. This was going on before the current law. I find it insincere to blame Obama.....the problem is far more systemic and it will not be easy to carefully deconstruct the web which has been built over the last 15 years because they have achieved incredible data with these systems....but fortunately the conservative supreme court and specifically Scalia is not too happy about 4th amendment abuses.....the Supreme court is not going to let the incursions against the 4th continue as carte blanch ......Scalia has this issue dead cinch correct.

He said he would end warrantless wiretaps... now it turns out they are tapping the entire fricking country.

Fair or not... he has not kept his word. We are heading in a direction... it's perfectly clear... and nobody cares.

PkrBum wrote:He said he would end warrantless wiretaps... now it turns out they are tapping the entire fricking country.

Fair or not... he has not kept his word. We are heading in a direction... it's perfectly clear... and nobody cares.

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv_QO5ORCBx7FSzr05QVFJi45eLyUEkqfeYHCU2KYXL48HSXyvHA

As much as we attempt to change the nature of man the human beast still remains.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

Smile

Damaged Eagle wrote:
PkrBum wrote:He said he would end warrantless wiretaps... now it turns out they are tapping the entire fricking country.

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv_QO5ORCBx7FSzr05QVFJi45eLyUEkqfeYHCU2KYXL48HSXyvHA

As much as we attempt to change the nature of man the human beast still remains.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

I love that series... did you see last weeks episode?

PkrBum wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS64V1kXh5BtaymB8qeF3X15dTeUfrROCcRPA4cb01Ichia9ND

I don't watch regular cable/dish because I hate commercials.

I buy the DVD set as it becomes available, generally used, and watch it then.

Have now watched the first two seasons (picked the 2nd season up for $5) and have added them to my library... I have an extensive library of movies and series that I've found well made on both DVD and VHS. I Generally upgrade my VHS as I find the movie or series used on DVD.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $100-$150 for cable or dish every month. My bill is $20 a month so I can watch the news and have Saturday morning cartoons for the grandkids. That leaves me lots of cash to spend on used movies/series every month if I find something I want to watch.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm0ikHOkGOY

Smile

Damaged Eagle wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS64V1kXh5BtaymB8qeF3X15dTeUfrROCcRPA4cb01Ichia9ND

Have now watched the first two seasons (picked the 2nd season up for $5) and have added them to my library... I have an extensive library of movies and series that I've found well made on both DVD and VHS. I Generally upgrade my VHS as I find the movie or series used on DVD.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $100-$150 for cable or dish every month. My bill is $20 a month so I can watch the news and have Saturday morning cartoons for the grandkids. That leaves me lots of cash to spend on used movies/series every month if I find something I want to watch.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

You'll really enjoy this season... easily the best yet. Last weeks show was shocking as hell... I won't spoil it for you.

PkrBum wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

*****SMILE*****

Smile

You'll really enjoy this season... easily the best yet. Last weeks show was shocking as hell... I won't spoil it for you.

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwrNQIvKYBC9WhiA_2fwwpRLJ0bRSbOrS9uCYfOrL2J1qbLQqF

I'm looking forward to it.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afT1fAwSr-Q

Cool

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 6/8/2013, 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

They shot the wolves in cages with crossbows.........all because of a marriage that did not happen.....I spoiled it a little bit....I will not spoil it more......some people have sworn they are done with this series because of the violence....but my son in law read the book and spoiled it for me when he said......do not get too comfortable with any character.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Barack Obama would revisit the Patriot Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight

First of all, I think the law should be changed.

The NSA has become a monstrosity.

But, to suggest there was no oversight here is false.

They went through the FISA court and had a judge sign off on the warrant.

Sal

Sal

This did not involve wire taps and they had a warrant.

Words have meanings.

The NSA and other government agencies have been eavesdropping for many years. Just not on this scale and I believe that is what all the fuss is about. If they can stop a terrorist attack by comparing suspect phone numbers against contacts in the U.S. or elsewhere (they aren't listening in on conversations) for follow up then I have no major problem with it. Someone calling their granny has nothing to worry about since their phone number won't ring the NSA computer bell as suspicious.

Sal

Sal

nochain wrote:The NSA and other government agencies have been eavesdropping for many years. Just not on this scale and I believe that is what all the fuss is about. If they can stop a terrorist attack by comparing suspect phone numbers against contacts in the U.S. or elsewhere (they aren't listening in on conversations) for follow up then I have no major problem with it. Someone calling their granny has nothing to worry about since their phone number won't ring the NSA computer bell as suspicious.

We'll never be free from the threat of terrorism.

If we allow ourselves to be engaged in endless war, we will create an endless number of enemies and continue to see the erosion of our civil liberties.

At some point, we need to stop being scared of our own shadows and sack up.

It's past time to start walking this back.

Sal wrote:

We'll never be free from the threat of terrorism.

If we allow ourselves to be engaged in endless war, we will create an endless number of enemies and continue to see the erosion of our civil liberties.

At some point, we need to stop being scared of our own shadows and sack up.

It's past time to start walking this back.

Govt uses top secret court order to collect data on millions of citizens Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTK0iJqtZIvnXSGFedi4c5X2yK_HvtvMTNB6xnZQdhxqUROS9dw1A

"Those who have been once intoxicated with power, and have derived any kind of emolument from it, even though but for one year, never can willingly abandon it. They may be distressed in the midst of all their power; but they will never look to anything but power for their relief."
Edmund Burke

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP4tRUuqUY

Smile

Big brother has been watching us since J.Edgar Hoover, this is no surprise to me.

Markle

Markle

PkrBum wrote:

True. It seems that most everything he opposed, voted against, campaigned against is now a major part of his administration. Yet not a peep from his followers. Go figure.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a potus that has acted more completely opposite of what he promised.

I have a buddy who was a general in the guard who talked to me about software the Department of Defense had 15 years ago which was picking up all transmissions. This was going on before the current law. I find it insincere to blame Obama.....the problem is far more systemic and it will not be easy to carefully deconstruct the web which has been built over the last 15 years because they have achieved incredible data with these systems....but fortunately the conservative supreme court and specifically Scalia is not too happy about 4th amendment abuses.....the Supreme court is not going to let the incursions against the 4th continue as carte blanch ......Scalia has this issue dead cinch correct.

Insincere? President Barack Hussein Obama has been in office for five years. After campaigning AGAINST the Patriot Act and numerous other major issues, he is in charge and they are worse than ever. President Obama, after promising the most transparent administration in history has produced the absolute opposite. It seems that if he hasn't surpassed him yet, President Obama will soon surpass President Clinton in the number of scandals surrounding him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum