Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama gets this right

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Obama gets this right Empty Obama gets this right 6/3/2013, 11:43 pm

Let's hope the law is strong enough to stand up to the pretenders

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/06/obama-signs-stolen-valor-act-into-law/

2Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/3/2013, 11:52 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

cheers

3Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/3/2013, 11:59 pm

Awesome. Something we can all cheer and agree on.

4Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 12:37 am

Obama gets this right Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJWwpxyxPd2wIM8dkv3Ao0BggjgxPjwxtOiOnt3utfW-7H6c5G

They should enact similar legislation for civilian awards... Like the Nobel Peace Prize.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk-W_i7Z59I

Smile

5Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 1:53 am

2seaoat

I personally knew the man who this law was originally drafted. He claimed to have been awarded the medal of honor, he had the same behind his desk, and had it in his office before he was a government official. He was a chronic alcoholic who was basically a good man, who resigned from his official position, and who I sadly saw decline in humiliation and drunken stupor. He eventually died in a car crash. I immediately found it suspicious that a medal of honor would be awarded in the late fifties in the middle east, which was the story he gave......when you would ask him questions, he would change the subject....acting as if false modesty was the reason he did not want to talk about it. There are too many people who on the surface seem to have their act together, but carry demons in their lives. For the people who knew this man before there were criminal sanctions.....the shunning and humiliation after being outed.....was simply tragic......It was very sad.

I guess I am confused why congress and the president can waste time on this bill when so many important things need to be addressed, and I can tell you that the criminality attached to this deceit, pales in comparison with the community shunning and humiliation.

6Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 3:02 am

2seaoat wrote:I personally knew the man who this law was originally drafted. He claimed to have been awarded the medal of honor, he had the same behind his desk, and had it in his office before he was a government official. He was a chronic alcoholic who was basically a good man, who resigned from his official position, and who I sadly saw decline in humiliation and drunken stupor. He eventually died in a car crash. I immediately found it suspicious that a medal of honor would be awarded in the late fifties in the middle east, which was the story he gave......when you would ask him questions, he would change the subject....acting as if false modesty was the reason he did not want to talk about it. There are too many people who on the surface seem to have their act together, but carry demons in their lives. For the people who knew this man before there were criminal sanctions.....the shunning and humiliation after being outed.....was simply tragic......It was very sad.

I guess I am confused why congress and the president can waste time on this bill when so many important things need to be addressed, and I can tell you that the criminality attached to this deceit, pales in comparison with the community shunning and humiliation.

Because it matters a great deal to those who been awarded such honours. No ribbon or Metal is ever to be taken lightly or worn by some undeserving Son of a Bitch that did not earn it.

7Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 3:25 am

2seaoat

Because it matters a great deal to those who been awarded such honours. No ribbon or Metal is ever to be taken lightly or worn by some undeserving Son of a Bitch that did not earn it.

The general scorn of the public is far worse than some politicians trying to score atta boys......these poor souls who seek recognition on the backs of so many who gave so much.....until you see the backlash first hand......I guarantee you, the folks who deceive their community have no idea the scorn this issue generates.....I saw a man die of shame.....sitting at the end of a rural bar....alone.......dead but living.....all because he had to be a medal of honor hero.......very sad, but I am glad the politicians know their audience.....it gets them elected, and the business of this country.....it continues to have congress working half the time it did in 1968......so feel good about this bill.

8Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 7:42 am

2seaoat wrote:Because it matters a great deal to those who been awarded such honours. No ribbon or Metal is ever to be taken lightly or worn by some undeserving Son of a Bitch that did not earn it.

The general scorn of the public is far worse than some politicians trying to score atta boys......these poor souls who seek recognition on the backs of so many who gave so much.....until you see the backlash first hand......I guarantee you, the folks who deceive their community have no idea the scorn this issue generates.....I saw a man die of shame.....sitting at the end of a rural bar....alone.......dead but living.....all because he had to be a medal of honor hero.......very sad, but I am glad the politicians know their audience.....it gets them elected, and the business of this country.....it continues to have congress working half the time it did in 1968......so feel good about this bill.

This had been previously thrown out as a law. Less than 1% of this nation will have or ever will have served in the military. Rarely it is a popular thing until we found ourselves involved in our current GWOT. Then, with the support of the populace of the troops, wannabees started popping up in huge numbers. Those of us who have served and have taken the risks get quite irritated watching BX heroes who buy their ribbons online or through other nefarious means. There was no redress for the pretenders who were many times getting attention, free things, admiration, and other items that the American people were giving the actual vets who have sacrificed, lost marriages, lost body parts etc while serving their nation. I just think you would have to have served to understand.

9Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 8:54 am

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Let's hope the law is strong enough to stand up to the pretenders

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/06/obama-signs-stolen-valor-act-into-law/

cheers cheers cheers

10Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 9:28 am

2seaoat

I just think you would have to have served to understand.

The fellow who became a national focus claiming he had been awarded the medal of honor did serve......most of the pretenders expand their service. This is not something that folks who never served are doing for the most part.......it is something that folks who served who want to expand their service. Look at the attacks on the Sheriff......he served. I agree. I cannot even understand why anybody would want to pretend to have won a military award....I do agree that those that served can better understand the need to pretend, and probably have had to deal with pretenders when they were in the service.

11Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 9:42 am

2seaoat wrote:I just think you would have to have served to understand.

The fellow who became a national focus claiming he had been awarded the medal of honor did serve......most of the pretenders expand their service. This is not something that folks who never served are doing for the most part.......it is something that folks who served who want to expand their service. Look at the attacks on the Sheriff......he served. I agree. I cannot even understand why anybody would want to pretend to have won a military award....I do agree that those that served can better understand the need to pretend, and probably have had to deal with pretenders when they were in the service.

Some did serve and exaggerated their service while many others (most) did not. The sheriff had no business wearing his earned decorations on a civilian uniform. My attitude towards LEOs sucks anyhow right now and I would not throw a bucket of spit on one if he or she was on fire, but that is another story.

12Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 9:48 am

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I just think you would have to have served to understand.

Some did serve and exaggerated their service while many others (most) did not. The sheriff had no business wearing his earned decorations on a civilian uniform. My attitude towards LEOs sucks anyhow right now and I would not throw a bucket of spit on one if he or she was on fire, but that is another story.

Then to top all things off the sheriff decided to wear the bought count chocula medal...nothing to do with either the military or law enforcement...Correct the sheriff served and no reason to question anything about his medals that was never the issue...it was wearing them on his law enforcement iniform...understandable for him to do so because he's not nor ever been a certified law enforcement officer....

13Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 10:19 am

Medals and service ribbons and even qualification badges are very important to Military people. You can tell at a glance about who the person is. Where he/she was stationed, what skills they have, and all their awards have to match. A set of jump wings is a prized possession. A combat Infantry badge combined with a Vietnam Service Ribbon speaks volumes. It says who you are.
Medals such as the Bronze Star, the Navy cross are almost sacred to us. Sounds very very trite, how does a little piece of Metal mean so so much?
Trust me, it does. I know of no civilian analogy.
Most are tucked away in a dresser drawer, or in a box of keepsakes. But they are powerful, they bring back the memories of who you once were. A physical link to the past.
To see them desecrated by some Son of a Bitch that has no concept of what they really mean is criminal. Same as someone spitting in your face and saying F you. They are stealing and demeaning a part of your life.
But Karma is a bitch and sometimes the stars line up in perfect order and the Phony bastards are rendered naked to the world. A criminal charge is a small reward for the damage they cause.

14Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 10:25 am

Try wearing a 1%er patch to a biker bar and see what happens.. Very Happy

15Obama gets this right Empty Re: Obama gets this right 6/4/2013, 10:50 am

Lurch wrote:Try wearing a 1%er patch to a biker bar and see what happens.. Very Happy

That wouldn't be a great move at all!....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum