Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are cops allowed to run people over?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Don't get me wrong. I'm satisfied with the outcome. I wish it was standard practice.

Fleeing man run over, killed by DeLand officer
May 08, 2013 09:30 EDT

DELAND, Fla. (AP) -- The Florida Highway Patrol says a man was run over by a patrol car and killed while fleeing DeLand police during a traffic stop.

The incident began early Wednesday after a Volusia County Sheriff's deputy tried to stop a vehicle for a traffic infraction. The driver fled and the deputy deactivated his emergency equipment.

Troopers say an alert was put out and two DeLand police officers spotted the car and began following it.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/10pT1mr ) reports the car stopped and the driver got out and ran. That's when the patrol car ran over him.

FHP says four women inside the car were not injured. The agency will review video from the patrol car's dashboard camera to figure out what happened.

The incident remains under investigation.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

Being the middle aged, opinionated, politically incorrect Imp that I am, I say, you run you lose. One less stupid person to tag and release.

I doubt the officer deliberately ran over the numb nut, so I'm hoping it's a none issue. If by the off chance he did, well, I hope he had a damn good reason cause last I checked, that's slightly outside the scope of the law.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You are just what the police state judge Dred wants. People that think being murdered for a traffic infraction is just business as usual Don't run don't question just grovel. I am sick of this pussy infected country. This is at least manslaughter.

It's okay to do it.. they just give the family some taxpayer money to settle the suit.. just ask victor steens mom..

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You are just what the police state judge Dred wants. People that think being murdered for a traffic infraction is just business as usual Don't run don't question just grovel. I am sick of this pussy infected country. This is at least manslaughter.

An innocent person will not run because of a traffic infraction.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I don't care if he was a felon he didn't deserve to die. Your sense of crime and punishment is way out of proportion. Guess we will close the courts let the cops just run em over if they feel like they need a rush.

Sal

Sal

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Gotta call BS on this one.

Lots of people fear and distrust the police, and with good reason.

Sal wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Gotta call BS on this one.

Lots of people fear and distrust the police, and with good reason.

Call it BS all you want, but a truly innocent person will not run because of a minor traffic violation. Running only proves you are trying to hide something.

Teo, maybe you are right, maybe he did not deserve to die, but you are assuming that the cop intentionally ran over him. It is too early in the investigative process to determine if it was intentional or not. If the investigation proves that the deputy did act intentionally, then I will retract my statement, but until then, I stand by my statement.

Shades of Victor Steen?

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 5/8/2013, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

Guys, you're all passing judgement before all the facts are in. It may have been an unfortunate accident, it may have been an over zealous cop caught up in the heat of the chase, or, which I doubt, the cop was going to take him down no matter what the circumstance. We'll just have to wait for the facts before condemning law enforcement and the judicial system.

ImpishScoundrel wrote:Guys, you're all passing judgement before all the facts are in. It may have been an unfortunate accident, it may have been an over zealous cop caught up in the heat of the chase, or, which I doubt, the cop was going to take him down no matter what the circumstance. We'll just have to wait for the facts before condemning law enforcement and the judicial system.

Good call!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

No actually it is cut and dry at this point a man was killed by another man accidental or not it is still manslaughter you start from there to see where justice is.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:No actually it is cut and dry at this point a man was killed by another man accidental or not it is still manslaughter you start from there to see where justice is.

If that be the case then every driver that hit a pedestrian would be charged with manslaughter and you know as well as I do that is not the case. Accidental death does not warrant a manslaughter charge in that there was no culpability(blameworthiness) involved.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:No actually it is cut and dry at this point a man was killed by another man accidental or not it is still manslaughter you start from there to see where justice is.

If that be the case then every driver that hit a pedestrian would be charged with manslaughter and you know as well as I do that is not the case. Accidental death does not warrant a manslaughter charge in that there was no culpability(blameworthiness) involved.

Exactly! If I were to jump out into the street in front of a car, giving the driver no time to react, That driver would not be charged with manslaughter. I might be charged with being stupid, albeit posthumously, but, the driver would not be charged.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Could easily be said that the cop used his car in an aggressive and improper manner as an instrument of deadly force. That isn't said about pedestrian encounters....intent must be noted.....you lawyers can't have it only one way...if a man drives toward a cop he has every right to use deadly force as that car becomes a weapon....works the other way also or we have an ass kissing police state,

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Could easily be said that the cop used his car in an aggressive and improper manner as an instrument of deadly force. That isn't said about pedestrian encounters....intent must be noted.....

Yes, it could be said, if one was quick to jump the gun and start throwing accusations. That's why I'll wait for the facts before passing judgement.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

No it's still murder only the degree is to be determined.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

TEOTWAWKI wrote:No it's still murder only the degree is to be determined.

Are cops allowed to run people over? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH66Lr-NvUMHt99RXEePm19FWUj6TQKSIKMC8h5-LAgt1KercA

Show me where intent was even implied, much less proven. Otherwise, I'll wait for the facts before passing judgement.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You point your car at a person and it hits him..that's intent..it works the other way around why can't you see that ?...oh that's right we ass kiss authorities...

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You point your car at a person and it hits him..that's intent..it works the other way around why can't you see that ?...oh that's right we ass kiss authorities...

It has nothing to do with intent Teo and more to do with the apprehension of a fleeing suspect. I would bet every dollar that I have that the cop was not intent on killing the suspect. We do not know if the suspect ran in front of the deputies car or not. Remember Ard was cleared of wrong doing in the Victor Steen death because dash cam showed Steen fell off his bike in front of Ard's cruiser. He was cleared of any criminal negligence.

It is also nothing about ass kissing authorities, it is about waiting on the facts of the issue and not rushing to judgement just because someone is in a position of authority and wears a badge.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well i guess i hold professional law enforcement to a higher standard of performance than most....

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You point your car at a person and it hits him..that's intent..it works the other way around why can't you see that ?...oh that's right we ass kiss authorities...

Where did you ever get the impression that I kiss the ass of authority? You've got a lot to learn about this Imp. I guess I've been on vacation so long my comments on the pnj forum are no longer even a memory.

Anyway... No where in the article does it state the officer pointed the car at the bad guy. It states the perp exited the car when he was hit. There are a lot of unanswered variables. When the facts come to light and the cop is shown to be at fault, I hope he gets the royal shaft. I personally get tired law enforcement impunity. But, the officer is still a human being and deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

A man is dead and was in law enforcements custody ,,,but sure I can wait till they get their story made up....

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

TEOTWAWKI wrote:A man is dead and was in law enforcements custody ,,,but sure I can wait till they get their story made up....

Story doesn't say he was in custody when he was hit. You're making shit up just for the sake of argument, aren't you. Either that, or you're just trying to give me a headache.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

ImpishScoundrel wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:A man is dead and was in law enforcements custody ,,,but sure I can wait till they get their story made up....

Story doesn't say he was in custody when he was hit. You're making shit up just for the sake of argument, aren't you. Either that, or you're just trying to give me a headache.

If he hadn't been stopped he would be alive....but I take a BC for times like this...

Are cops allowed to run people over? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

I've known Imp since all the way back when we were both posting at the DMR together.

Trust me he doesn't kiss anyone's ass.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum