Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If you ride a motorcyle on the street I hope the thrill of it is worth this

+2
Markle
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

salinsky wrote:
Worth what exactly? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, and I've got nothing against motorcycles, but I think your perspective about what it was worth would be completely different sitting in a nursing home taking your meals through a straw. Just sayin'.

It is worth the exhilaration that I get when I ride. Accidents are going to happen and there is nothing that can be done about it. We all have to go at some time or another and I refuse to allow the thought of death prevent me from doing something that I love to do. Life is too short to dwell on what could of been.

I could also end up in a nursing home taking my meals through a straw by being hit by a car while walking down the street or be involved in a auto accident that does the same thing.

What do you ride GR?

I rode dirt bikes back in the day. My daughter was living in a small town in Iowa, Lamoni. Her husband wanted a motorcycle so I helped him get one. Thinking that a small town should be pretty safe. They went riding one night and left their car at some friends house. They went to take the car back to their house. My daughter took the car, her husband the motorcycle. when they pulled up to a intersection they had just passed though, a drunk hit a curb, lost control and hit my son in law on the cycle. He died on the way to the hospital........If it had happened 10 minutes before I would have lost my daughter............................... Hell of price to pay............

Lurch wrote:What do you ride GR?

Harley

hallmarkgrad wrote:I rode dirt bikes back in the day. My daughter was living in a small town in Iowa, Lamoni. Her husband wanted a motorcycle so I helped him get one. Thinking that a small town should be pretty safe. They went riding one night and left their car at some friends house. They went to take the car back to their house. My daughter took the car, her husband the motorcycle. when they pulled up to a intersection they had just passed though, a drunk hit a curb, lost control and hit my son in law on the cycle. He died on the way to the hospital........If it had happened 10 minutes before I would have lost my daughter............................... Hell of price to pay............

And that is exactly what I am saying. Life is too short to worry about the what ifs. Hallmark, you are a bicyclist and they are just as dangerous to ride as a motorcycle.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote: you are a bicyclist and they are just as dangerous to ride as a motorcycle.
They absolutely are if you ride them in the street if that street has traffic on it.
Every time I pass a bicyclist who is on the curb of the street I can't help but think about all those cars who are passing him/her and all it would take is for one of them to be distracted for any reason.
I occasionally ride a bicycle and I get a lot of pleasure from it too. But I can get just as much pleasure from it when I'm not inches from a lot of cars passing beside me.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Lurch wrote:What do you ride GR?

Harley
That's what I have now, mine's a built up "Bar Hopper" Cams, headwork and all the goodies.

Sal

Sal

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
It is worth the exhilaration that I get when I ride. Accidents are going to happen and there is nothing that can be done about it. We all have to go at some time or another and I refuse to allow the thought of death prevent me from doing something that I love to do. Life is too short to dwell on what could of been.

I could also end up in a nursing home taking my meals through a straw by being hit by a car while walking down the street or be involved in a auto accident that does the same thing.

I understand the exhilaration factor. I used to ride when I was younger and had a blast doing it. I gave it up when the risk was no longer worth it to me. I don't remember if that was when I finally awakened to my own mortality, or if that was when I found myself with a wife and kids, or some combination of the two. The worth of a risk can only be calculated by a careful comparison of the rewards versus the consequences and the likelihood of paying them. And the consequences are often dire, and you have to admit that riding is inherently one of the more dangerous modes of transportation. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just explaining my thinking on it. To each his own, and happy riding to you.

Off topic a little, but why does this thread have a flame under the "Topics" tab? What does it take for that to happen? scratch

Just curious...

Yomama wrote:Off topic a little, but why does this thread have a flame under the "Topics" tab? What does it take for that to happen? scratch

Just curious...
It's a hot topic, a lot of recent posting..

salinsky wrote:
I understand the exhilaration factor. I used to ride when I was younger and had a blast doing it. I gave it up when the risk was no longer worth it to me. I don't remember if that was when I finally awakened to my own mortality, or if that was when I found myself with a wife and kids, or some combination of the two. The worth of a risk can only be calculated by a careful comparison of the rewards versus the consequences and the likelihood of paying them. And the consequences are often dire, and you have to admit that riding is inherently one of the more dangerous modes of transportation. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just explaining my thinking on it. To each his own, and happy riding to you.

I appreciate that. You have to admit that there is consequences in every choice that we make, some of course are more dire than others. Just a chance we take.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I understand I guess I still hurt from his death. He was a damn good man. But we all knew that is what he loved doing, so in many ways we are ok with it. You are correct. We must live. Motorcycles and even bicycles are something you just can not explain or rationalize about. Not to sound trite but you become one with the machine and there are times that there no other place you would rather be. You are "there" LOL Just ride safe as you can....

Thanks to all of you for helping with this forum. As you can tell I like to post. We dont have to agree on everything but I enjoy threads like this. Very Happy

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 7/20/2012, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey Salinsky a Meteor could land on you any second really so you should ask the government to provide you with protection. Maybe spend zillions on a meteor interceptor....

If you ride a motorcyle on the street I hope the thrill of it is worth this - Page 2 Looping-Fokker

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey Salinsky a Meteor could land on you any second really so you should ask the government to provide you with protection. Maybe spend zillions on a meteor interceptor....

If you ride a motorcyle on the street I hope the thrill of it is worth this - Page 2 Lolwut

What are prattling on about now, ya flake?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

salinsky wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey Salinsky a Meteor could land on you any second really so you should ask the government to provide you with protection. Maybe spend zillions on a meteor interceptor....

If you ride a motorcyle on the street I hope the thrill of it is worth this - Page 2 Lolwut

I am sorry man I thought it was obvious but it's like this. You really could get hit by a meteor..yup so why don't you get your benevolent government to protect you ? Isn't that what you are prattling on about...government control of everything including us looney NRAers ?

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Isn't that what you are prattling on about...government control of everything including us looney NRAers ?

Umm, nope. Try again.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

salinsky wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Isn't that what you are prattling on about...government control of everything including us looney NRAers ?

Umm, nope. Try again.

I can't read your mind but that's because it's surrounded by fog.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
salinsky wrote:

I am sorry man I thought it was obvious but it's like this. You really could get hit by a meteor..yup so why don't you get your benevolent government to protect you ? Isn't that what you are prattling on about...government control of everything including us looney NRAers ?
Why are you trying to goad him? I thought you were leaving?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

?[/quote]
Why are you trying to goad him? I thought you were leaving?[/quote]

I was asked to stay...so I did.

Now what are you mouthing off about ...what was that word starts with a c ?......

I asked him to stay...........................

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Well, then let's clear the air, flakey. I am not a gun control freak. I own two guns myself. I also am not opposed to some commonsense restrictions to gun ownership. I am not a member of the NRA. I find their politics repugnant. Got it?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

salinsky wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Well, then let's clear the air, flakey. I am not a gun control freak. I own two guns myself. I also am not opposed to some commonsense restrictions to gun ownership. I am not a member of the NRA. I find their politics repugnant. Got it?

Thanks, you are a cautious liberal with conservative tendencies and you call ME flaky.

I think we were talking about Motorcycles and such...............

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum