Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gun Bill killed in Senate.......90% of Americans supported this background bill

+5
Markle
Sal
othershoe1030
Floridatexan
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

This is the poster child for what has happened in America........A congress which can be bought and paid for to go against the American people.......Shameful that something as simple as improved background checks cannot be passed when it was simply a watered down bill........the truth is that America is wising up.......we need to throw out those folks who represent special interests.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Totally agree with you on this, Seaoat. PDog will be ecstatic. He can continue to follow people around and threaten them with guns, in the name of Jesus, of course.

They're not for the people.. The gun lobby paid them off..

2seaoat

This is the surface of the iceberg......it is the 400lb gorilla in the room. The decline of America is directly tied to our legislators being bought and paid for........gun merchants put ads out that this bill would register guns.....just the opposite, this bill would not allow registration(I think this is boneheaded).

So how do we get rid of subsidies for the very wealthy? How do we get rid of farm subsidies for multi billion dollar corporations who pay no taxes? How do trade associations burn food and call it energy conservation......and get a subsidy on top of it? How do we close a local base when it is best for the country, yet the local politicians twist arms? How do large arm producers get their weapon system approved.......merit.....or direct or indirect payoffs?

WE NEED TO TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK!

bs... most states already require background checks at gun shows and this national law would have done nothing to prevent the latest tragedies. Bad people do bad things... I know that's scary... but no gun law short of repealing the second amendment and confiscating all of the guns will change that statistic. Then we would need to take knifes, blunt objects, and everything but pillows... opps forgot about smothering ixna on the illowpas. Gawd y'all are a wussified bunch of wanna be dictators.

A crazy sob shoots people and it's a guns fault... how do you reconcile blowing up people? Is the bomb the problem?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:This is the surface of the iceberg......it is the 400lb gorilla in the room. The decline of America is directly tied to our legislators being bought and paid for........gun merchants put ads out that this bill would register guns.....just the opposite, this bill would not allow registration(I think this is boneheaded).

So how do we get rid of subsidies for the very wealthy? How do we get rid of farm subsidies for multi billion dollar corporations who pay no taxes? How do trade associations burn food and call it energy conservation......and get a subsidy on top of it? How do we close a local base when it is best for the country, yet the local politicians twist arms? How do large arm producers get their weapon system approved.......merit.....or direct or indirect payoffs?

WE NEED TO TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK!

Well, I agree that it is a disgrace. The vote makes a mockery of democracy on so many levels.

As for all the things you list that we need to get rid of, seriously, I thought the tea party was all up for smaller government etc. and now I'm sure without even looking at the record that all the tea party senators voted against this bill so who do people believe when it comes to cleaning house?

Sal

Sal

In America, freedom is a magical mixture of gunpowder and the blood and tears of innocents.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:This is the poster child for what has happened in America........A congress which can be bought and paid for to go against the American people.......Shameful that something as simple as improved background checks cannot be passed when it was simply a watered down bill........the truth is that America is wising up.......we need to throw out those folks who represent special interests.

No one, anywhere believed that this would have prevented anything at Newtown, nor any of the other mass shootings. It was simply another FEEL GOOD move on the part of the Progressives.

President Barack Hussein Obama is having a bad year. His frustration is starting to show especially when his own party, and former supporters of ObamaCare are saying it is a TRAINWRECK.
Gun Bill killed in Senate.......90% of Americans supported this background bill Trainwreck

2seaoat

Feel good to have background checks............geez. Do you not do a background check about some of the factors which makes an offer legitimate when you are representing a person selling a house. Do you at least get their name, and maybe render the transaction to paper.........Do you think that is asking too much or do you just shake the buyers hand and say....hey I will see you at the closing....you know.....whenever you want to bring some money to us...........insanity to actually fight this positive and important first step.

PK.....your second amendment rights are not taken by restrictions on gun ownership......talk to Judge Scalia to get an explanation.......his opinion matters.....ours do not.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Feel good to have background checks............geez. Do you not do a background check about some of the factors which makes an offer legitimate when you are representing a person selling a house. Do you at least get their name, and maybe render the transaction to paper.........Do you think that is asking too much or do you just shake the buyers hand and say....hey I will see you at the closing....you know.....whenever you want to bring some money to us...........insanity to actually fight this positive and important first step.

PK.....your second amendment rights are not taken by restrictions on gun ownership......talk to Judge Scalia to get an explanation.......his opinion matters.....ours do not.

Show us the list of prominent advocates of this law who say THIS legislation would have stopped THIS shooting. Share with us how it would have done so.

2seaoat

Show us the list of prominent advocates of this law who say THIS legislation would have stopped THIS shooting. Share with us how it would have done so.

I know of no person who passes a law which will so foolishly state that the law just passed would have stopped a tragic event. I do think most Americans understand if you make it more difficult for unauthorized people to have access to guns.......that gun violence will be reduced. I personally think that this was simply cheese spread on the floor to draw the rats out and identify them.....a political move which will mobilize and target individuals in 2014.........I would have much rather seen a comprehensive bill with actual effectiveness which would include registration, chipped weapons, biometric triggers and control modules in vehicles which restricts illegal transport of weapons by unauthorized personnel.......so they will play the political game to win 2014, and eventually we can try to reduce30k deaths a year by firearms and a staggering figure of 900K people since the early 1980s...........the path to gun safety requires small steps, but we will reduce deaths by firearms in America.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Show us the list of prominent advocates of this law who say THIS legislation would have stopped THIS shooting. Share with us how it would have done so.

I know of no person who passes a law which will so foolishly state that the law just passed would have stopped a tragic event. I do think most Americans understand if you make it more difficult for unauthorized people to have access to guns.......that gun violence will be reduced. I personally think that this was simply cheese spread on the floor to draw the rats out and identify them.....a political move which will mobilize and target individuals in 2014.........I would have much rather seen a comprehensive bill with actual effectiveness which would include registration, chipped weapons, biometric triggers and control modules in vehicles which restricts illegal transport of weapons by unauthorized personnel.......so they will play the political game to win 2014, and eventually we can try to reduce30k deaths a year by firearms and a staggering figure of 900K people since the early 1980s...........the path to gun safety requires small steps, but we will reduce deaths by firearms in America.

Bottom line, you acknowledge that it would have done NOTHING.

You ignore the FACT that the cities with the strictest, most draconian gun laws are the very cities which have the worst gun violence. How can that be?

There are solutions, but not what you have proposed.

2seaoat

How can that be?

Gun violence and the presence of gangs and drugs is the correlation which explains gun deaths.....not incomplete gun safety laws.......Gary Indiana is 15 minutes from Chicago's South side.....what does Chicago's gun laws have to do when a person who can get a firearm without a problem 15 minutes away.

I feel pretty confident that biometric triggers alone could greatly reduce gun deaths, but I believe that comprehensive laws are necessary. Again, registration, dynamic foid cards, chipped weapons, biometric triggers, and control modules in vehicles..........without a bit of hesitiation......these measures would have made it more difficult for the Sandy Hook or other events to have happened........but the question is not specifically stopping one event, rather statistically reducing gun deaths........and yes, this background check was an important first step up the stairway to gun safety.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:How can that be?

Gun violence and the presence of gangs and drugs is the correlation which explains gun deaths.....not incomplete gun safety laws.......Gary Indiana is 15 minutes from Chicago's South side.....what does Chicago's gun laws have to do when a person who can get a firearm without a problem 15 minutes away.

I feel pretty confident that biometric triggers alone could greatly reduce gun deaths, but I believe that comprehensive laws are necessary. Again, registration, dynamic foid cards, chipped weapons, biometric triggers, and control modules in vehicles..........without a bit of hesitiation......these measures would have made it more difficult for the Sandy Hook or other events to have happened........but the question is not specifically stopping one event, rather statistically reducing gun deaths........and yes, this background check was an important first step up the stairway to gun safety.

+++

2seaoat wrote:This is the poster child for what has happened in America........A congress which can be bought and paid for to go against the American people.......Shameful that something as simple as improved background checks cannot be passed when it was simply a watered down bill........the truth is that America is wising up.......we need to throw out those folks who represent special interests.

So there's whining about the NRA paying off politicians...using that way of thinking...are some of the same people equally offended when say the Unions lobby...influence...'pay off' to push their agenda?...What's the difference?...The Senate is controlled by Democrats...Harry Reid said "the wind is at our backs" predicting passage of this legislation...Four-Five Republicans...well McCain and Snowe really are just rino's....supported...there were the same number of dems that opposed...maybe they didn't want to go home to Montana...Arkansas...N Dakota and explain their positions of supporting....The outrage from the left should be towards their own that as you've pointed out...sold out by being 'paid off'....

2seaoat

They did not want to go home because they passed a bill which America wants......Background checks.......really......you think voters are going to get their panties in a wad over background checks.......or is it the NRA who has their panties in a wad........people have had it.......gangbangers rule the streets in major cities with easy access to guns, and folks do not want us to find out at a gun show that the person buying the gun is a convicted felon......is this really an argument, or have I not awakened from deep sleep?

2seaoat wrote:They did not want to go home because they passed a bill which America wants......Background checks.......really......you think voters are going to get their panties in a wad over background checks.......or is it the NRA who has their panties in a wad........people have had it.......gangbangers rule the streets in major cities with easy access to guns, and folks do not want us to find out at a gun show that the person buying the gun is a convicted felon......is this really an argument, or have I not awakened from deep sleep?

So you agree...the democrats were the sell-outs!...Would those 4-5 votes made a difference?...Gangbangers rule the streets because they do not follow the laws and there is more concerns for their rights over those of law abiding citizens...but agree with that thought...why won't the federal government go after the criminals illegally possessing and using guns in crimes?...In the school shooting provide where there has been one instance of a convicted criminal purchasing a weapon(s) to carry out their cowardly deeds?...Hear this all the time but nothing to back it up....Then ask how many thugs are killing on a regular basis...

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Why don't they just make it illegal to shoot someone.

gulfbeachbandit wrote:Why don't they just make it illegal to shoot someone.

In Florida there used to be a gang enhanced penalty that could be attached to crimes but that went away because of opposition to violation of thugs civil rights...Enhanced penalties for the use of a gun like Florida and some other states have...Mandatory sentencing for using a firearm...

Sal

Sal

great ad ...

It's a little misleading to assume this bill was only about background checks. If anyone is to blame for the totality of failure it's Harry Reid who wanted all amendments on the table thus making the whole mess unpalatable to both sides of the aisle although the votes on some were pretty close. Why?

"Why did everything need 60 votes to pass? Because Reid didn’t want amendments favored by gun rights advocates added to the overall package and weaken — or kill — everything. The hope was that background checks would survive and make it into the final bill; it did not."

So, thank Reid for a procedural card game where everyone lost. I would like to see background checks strengthened but with all the finger pointing at the latest round of "gun" massacres it is clear even those wouldn't have helped. BHO keeps cloaking himself with the families of Newtown victims - why? The freak that did the shooting killed his mother and stole her guns. How would a background check have stopped that tragedy???? It wouldn't but I am still for checks. This amendment also failed although it seems like common sense:

"Republican gun legislation failed 52-48: The main Republican alternative to gun control, proposed by Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Ted Cruz (R-Ariz.) failed with 52 senators in favor and 48 opposed. It would increase funding for criminal prosecution, school safety, and mental health resources and create a task force to go after felons who fail background checks. At the same time the amendment would loosen gun restrictions by making it easier to purchase and carry guns across state lines."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/04/17/what-happened-with-gun-amendments-today-everything-failed/?wprss=rss_politics

nochain wrote:It's a little misleading to assume this bill was only about background checks. If anyone is to blame for the totality of failure it's Harry Reid who wanted all amendments on the table thus making the whole mess unpalatable to both sides of the aisle although the votes on some were pretty close. Why?

"Why did everything need 60 votes to pass? Because Reid didn’t want amendments favored by gun rights advocates added to the overall package and weaken — or kill — everything. The hope was that background checks would survive and make it into the final bill; it did not."

So, thank Reid for a procedural card game where everyone lost. I would like to see background checks strengthened but with all the finger pointing at the latest round of "gun" massacres it is clear even those wouldn't have helped. BHO keeps cloaking himself with the families of Newtown victims - why? The freak that did the shooting killed his mother and stole her guns. How would a background check have stopped that tragedy???? It wouldn't but I am still for checks. This amendment also failed although it seems like common sense:

"Republican gun legislation failed 52-48: The main Republican alternative to gun control, proposed by Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Ted Cruz (R-Ariz.) failed with 52 senators in favor and 48 opposed. It would increase funding for criminal prosecution, school safety, and mental health resources and create a task force to go after felons who fail background checks. At the same time the amendment would loosen gun restrictions by making it easier to purchase and carry guns across state lines."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/04/17/what-happened-with-gun-amendments-today-everything-failed/?wprss=rss_politics

As with a lot of the legislation there are these amendments attached to a popular bill in order to get them through because they can't stand on their own...That's why when one side or the others makes claims like....Republicans are paid off by the NRA...maybe some support the background check portion but in order to get that they'd be forced to support attached amendments...Again this works both ways and it's too bad there isn't a line item veto so that perhaps some decent legislation could be passed with the entire bill having to be denied..

2seaoat wrote:Show us the list of prominent advocates of this law who say THIS legislation would have stopped THIS shooting. Share with us how it would have done so.

NONE and I mean NONE of the provisions of this bill would have made it more difficult for criminals to get guns.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

NONE and I mean NONE of the provisions of this bill would have made it more difficult for criminals to get guns.

And maybe what you've just said is the reason why Americans have shifted their opinions about the Second Amendment...Sure stopped enough democrats from supporting the cowh....Was a little surprised that McCain voted for this but he's more of a democrat than a republican....

NaNook

NaNook

knothead wrote:
2seaoat wrote:How can that be?

Why not just Dope the water supply? Then everyone is happy........
+++

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum