Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chrissy question on Obamacare...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chrissy question on Obamacare... Empty Chrissy question on Obamacare... 4/14/2013, 12:31 am

Chrissy question on Obamacare... 9k=

My wife says that our daughter, the nurse, was just informed at a meeting that Obamacare is supposedly going to limit the number of different meds that a person can take in one day to four.

Have you heard this?

I know some people on meds for their problems, and more than likely there's a couple three liberals around here also, who are taking six or seven different meds two or three times a day to deal with their multiple problems.

Seems this goal is unattainable unless they're planning to start building a few asylums in each state.

What do you think?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13olfeD026g

Smile

Damaged Eagle wrote:Chrissy question on Obamacare... 9k=

My wife says that our daughter, the nurse, was just informed at a meeting that Obamacare is supposedly going to limit the number of different meds that a person can take in one day to four.

Have you heard this?

I know some people on meds for their problems, and more than likely there's a couple three liberals around here also, who are taking six or seven different meds two or three times a day to deal with their multiple problems.

Seems this goal is unattainable unless they're planning to start building a few asylums in each state.

What do you think?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13olfeD026g

Smile

I haven't heard of this, but I bet that would mess some people up here.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

In the beginning god said You have forsaken me... let there be big pharma because my people are so stupid they will believe that I don't know how to make a body that lasts and heals itself...and let them take drugs which will multiply their woes and let them take their silver and gold and cast it at the feet of the serpent of medicine and let them die broken in all ways because they trusted in the serpent and not my magnificent nature....
Chrissy question on Obamacare... 22907010

Lo and the serpent hissed ye shalt not surely die.....

There are reasons why we are enlightened progressive liberals. We know horseshit when we see it.

Dreamsglore wrote:There are reasons why we are enlightened progressive liberals. We know horseshit when we see it.

Chrissy question on Obamacare... Z

Ya all eat enough of it so I'm sure you do.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

Razz

However there's no HS here and my question to Chrissy was legitimate because I wanted to see if she's heard the same.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Damaged Eagle wrote:

Have you heard this?

What do you think?

I call BS, Eagle. Laughing If this were the case, I think I'd know.

What type of nursing does your daughter do? And what did she think about this, if she really heard it at a meeting?

The only medication I've seen limited over the last six months is Ambien. The FDA says women can no longer take 10 mg, because they do too much dope driving and eating. The FDA also says women's metabolism prevents Ambien from being metabolized, so women are showing up at the office drunk. So.....women are limited to 5 mg. only. Men, of course, can take the full 10 mg.

Personally, and from what I've seen with patients, I think Ambien should be taken off the market, but that's just my take on it. My patients tell me it's nothing but alcohol in pill form.....and I've had patients who have taken the whole prescription within two days or less. It's not a good drug, by any means.

My inner bad-drug-meter is close to putting Ambien in the same category as spice and bath salts. Bad drug, bad consequences.

PBulldog2 wrote:

What type of nursing does your daughter do? And what did she think about this, if she really heard it at a meeting?

The only medication I've seen limited over the last six months is Ambien. The FDA says women can no longer take 10 mg, because they do too much dope driving and eating. The FDA also says women's metabolism prevents Ambien from being metabolized, so women are showing up at the office drunk. So.....women are limited to 5 mg. only. Men, of course, can take the full 10 mg.

Personally, and from what I've seen with patients, I think Ambien should be taken off the market, but that's just my take on it. My patients tell me it's nothing but alcohol in pill form.....and I've had patients who have taken the whole prescription within two days or less. It's not a good drug, by any means.

Chrissy question on Obamacare... 2Q==

You don't have to believe me.

I asked Chrissy because she says she works in the health care profession and I thought she might have heard something similar.

What my daughters position is at the hospital she works at is none of your business. However she's more likely to be one of the first nurses they inform of any possible upcoming changes.

She didn't think very highly of this possible change and neither would I since medications for physical health and mental health can put a person over four different types of medication per day easily.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 4/14/2013, 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Whoa.....aren't you a little defensive here? I didn't ask what your daughter's position was or the hospital in which she works. I would never ask that, because you're right - that's nobody's business.

I just asked what type of nursing your daughter does. By that, I meant medical, surgical, psychiatric, emergency, field nursing, critical care, ob/gyn, and so on. I was thinking that the "four meds a day" may be related to a specific realm of illnesses or conditions, and that's the only reason I asked.

Having done all of the above types of nursing except for OB/GYN over a 35 year period, I suspect I'm in a better position to answer your question than Chrissy is, and I'm sure Chrissy knows that. We work in different fields. She might have turfed this question to me anyhow.

I in no way intended to offend you, and I'm certainly not interested in learning the identity or location of your daugter. A stalker, I'm not. I was just looking for clarification of your statement - and you are the one who mentioned your daughter is a nurse.

Smile

PBulldog2 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

Have you heard this?

What do you think?

My inner bad-drug-meter is close to putting Ambien in the same category as spice and bath salts. Bad drug, bad consequences.

I take 10mg of Ambien every night. Just got my prescription renewed today.

PBulldog2 wrote:Whoa.....aren't you a little defensive here? I didn't ask what your daughter's position was or the hospital in which she works. I would never ask that, because you're right - that's nobody's business.

I just asked what type of nursing your daughter does. By that, I meant medical, surgical, psychiatric, emergency, field nursing, critical care, ob/gyn, and so on. I was thinking that the "four meds a day" may be related to a specific realm of illnesses or conditions, and that's the only reason I asked.

Having done all of the above types of nursing except for OB/GYN over a 35 year period, I suspect I'm in a better position to answer your question than Chrissy is, and I'm sure Chrissy knows that. We work in different fields. She might have turfed this question to me anyhow.

I in no way intended to offend you, and I'm certainly not interested in learning the identity or location of your daugter. A stalker, I'm not. I was just looking for clarification of your statement - and you are the one who mentioned your daughter is a nurse.

Smile

Chrissy question on Obamacare... 2Q==

You're the one that called BS. However... If I was going to take offense I would have answered you like I do to Dreams or FT.

Not going to give you the information on exactly what she does either. No offense intended but... that's none of your business either. All I'm willing to say is she's a nurse, just like my son is a math major and now studying computer programming, and my youngest is still deciding but I have the feeling he'll be a computer programmer.

Didn't call you a stalker. Plenty of those around here simply watching/waiting already.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 4/14/2013, 3:13 am; edited 3 times in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I take 10mg of Ambien every night. Just got my prescription renewed today.

I'm surprised, Dreams. The FDA "proclamation" came out about a month ago (January, actually), as I understand it. Perhaps your doctor hasn't gotten the word yet.

Be careful with that stuff, seriously.

Here's the official announcement from the FDA:
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm334033.htm

And an article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/current-ambien-dosage-dangerously-high-fda-article-1.1237498

Yes... the latest I heard is that it is most dangerous for women... that they may not process it as readily as men.

Markle

Markle

I don't know about the number of medications but Hospitals will be awarded "bonus points" for keeping the cost of care for seniors low. This will be in addition to the cuts already in line for Medicare.

In effect, seniors will be seeing what is known as the Liverpool Pathway in use in Great Britain.

Markle wrote:I don't know about the number of medications but Hospitals will be awarded "bonus points" for keeping the cost of care for seniors low. This will be in addition to the cuts already in line for Medicare.

In effect, seniors will be seeing what is known as the Liverpool Pathway in use in Great Britain.

That makes me wonder about the question, then if bonus points are going to be handed out. Ive seen hospitals make business plans developed around meeting those goals to get the bonus. So it could be a plan by the hospital itself to try and stay afloat by doing this.

I dont think people realize how much these cuts hurt these hospitals. after operational cost many times if the hospital is doing well only has 2-3% profit margin. This was Baptist profit margin when i worked there. and e knew what the others were too, they look at these things. so maybe some rationing is going to occur if they are encouraged to financially, after all that's why they have the advisory board to make up ideas like this to sway the care given in order to save money. also they are putting a lot of bad science out in the media to trick people ive noticed to.

DE, I work in pathology and run pathology/histology labs. I don't ever deal with medicine, now im sure PB can give her take on it, however my sister in law is a nursing administrator for Shands so I will go on Facebook today and ask her. with that said with what markle put it may be something the hospital has a goal to 'TRY" and do with most patients in order to get that financial incentive from the gov.

[quote="Markle"]I don't know about the number of medications but Hospitals will be awarded "bonus points" for keeping the cost of care for seniors low. This will be in addition to the cuts already in line for Medicare.

[/quote

Not just for seniors. Hospitals are going to be graded on re-admissions in a specific time frame and quality of care and probably many other things.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Chrissy wrote:
Markle wrote:I don't know about the number of medications but Hospitals will be awarded "bonus points" for keeping the cost of care for seniors low. This will be in addition to the cuts already in line for Medicare.

That makes me wonder about the question, then if bonus points are going to be handed out. Ive seen hospitals make business plans developed around meeting those goals to get the bonus. So it could be a plan by the hospital itself to try and stay afloat by doing this.

I dont think people realize how much these cuts hurt these hospitals. after operational cost many times if the hospital is doing well only has 2-3% profit margin. This was Baptist profit margin when i worked there. and e knew what the others were too, they look at these things. so maybe some rationing is going to occur if they are encouraged to financially, after all that's why they have the advisory board to make up ideas like this to sway the care given in order to save money. also they are putting a lot of bad science out in the media to trick people ive noticed to.

DE, I work in pathology and run pathology/histology labs. I don't ever deal with medicine, now im sure PB can give her take on it, however my sister in law is a nursing administrator for Shands so I will go on Facebook today and ask her. with that said with what markle put it may be something the hospital has a goal to 'TRY" and do with most patients in order to get that financial incentive from the gov.

Yes, please ask your SIL, Chrissy. All I know is we haven't heard anything of this nature.

I'm wondering if perhaps DE isn't referring to meds used in an in-hospital setting, such as IV antibiotics. Too many times I've seen antibiotics started before the results of a C&S are back - if one was even ordered. You know how essential a C&S is to effective care for an infection.

This would result in more expensive patient care, since patients would be charged for both the ineffective antibiotic as well as later administration of an antibiotic to which the infection is sensitive. When we're talking IV antibiotics, that can become expensive quickly.

I just can't imagine people being limited to just four meds a day, especially the elderly. That makes no sense. In the long run, a limitation of that nature would result in sicker citizens and more costly care.

Take a hypertensive diabetic with high cholesterol, for example. If he is trying to avoid insulin, he may take two different pills daily. Add in some Lisinopril for the BP, and some pravastatin for the cholesterol. That's four. Then let's say this person develops an infection of the foot, for which he needs an antibiotic. And God forbid this same person needs a psychotropic or two and some medication for restless legs. Let's hope he never strains a muscle, either.

It's just plain silly, and that's why I called DE's statement BS. It's not that DE said it, it's that the whole concept is BS, unless it refers to a specific type of medication used in an in-hospital setting.

Knowwhadamean?

EDIT: I've tried to find some info about this online, and I can't. If anyone else can, please lead me to it. Thanks!

knothead

knothead

TEOTWAWKI wrote:In the beginning god said You have forsaken me... let there be big pharma because my people are so stupid they will believe that I don't know how to make a body that lasts and heals itself...and let them take drugs which will multiply their woes and let them take their silver and gold and cast it at the feet of the serpent of medicine and let them die broken in all ways because they trusted in the serpent and not my magnificent nature....
Chrissy question on Obamacare... 22907010

Lo and the serpent hissed ye shalt not surely die.....

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

America's Most Profitable Hospitals

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/30/profitable-hospitals-hca-healthcare-business-mayo-clinic.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum