Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"

+4
Joanimaroni
no stress
PBulldog2
Sal
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I know that it is easier to just hit the "Quote" button and then start typing your reply, but (whine alert), dammit, when there are quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes (ad nauseum) it gets difficult to read who said what and you gotta scroll up, then down, just to determine what was said. I wind up re-reading posts I have already read.

If ALL the posts in the "quote" are important, by all means keep them. If not, here's what you can do to make your post readable.

In the graphic below, I did a "Quote" on one of my posts and selected a bunch of crap that I didn't want to display in my new post. In this example, I only wanted to display the words "I hope the cops get crucified."

A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  One10

Then I deleted it. Leaving the opening bracket sequence and the closing bracket sequence (that the forum software needs for instruction purposes)

A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  Two_10

Now I just type my response after the second bracket and my response looks much cleaner.

Call me anal-retentive if you wish, but this helps.

Sal

Sal

Yomama wrote:but this helps.

Agreed

Last edited by salinsky on 7/17/2012, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

You're not anal retentive, Yomama, you just have a knowledge of HTML.Seems somewhere you taught yourself to use it, as I did.

It's not hard guys! I can be a lot of fun, and it helps you understand why you see what you see on the screen.

The first book I used was __HTML: The Definitive Guide__ by Musciano and Kennedy, the O'Reilly Series

After studying that book for six months, I was able to make acceptable websites from scratch in 1997. There was very little WYSIWIG back then - it was just starting.

PB, when the office was using dumb terminals and everything was in command-lines (Remember Gopher? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_%28protocol%29), I used a UNIX terminal emulation software package called Reflections. It allowed scripting, so I recorded a morning routine. The scripted routine involved going out and getting weather reports, downloading weather maps, getting news, and God knows whatever else. With one command, I could run the routine every morning and have a ton of stuff downloaded automatically.

In hurricane season, people from the Chappie James Building where I worked, would come by my office and whisper "I hear that you have maps" (As if I could conjure up the devil).

I would post satellite pictures outside the office. Once, I photoshopped a hurricane (that was way out in the Atlantic) and put it in the Gulf of Mexico... that was good for a few laughs.

no stress

no stress

Yomama wrote:I know that it is easier to just hit the "Quote" button and then start typing your reply, but (whine alert), dammit, when there are quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes (ad nauseum) it gets difficult to read who said what and you gotta scroll up, then down, just to determine what was said. I wind up re-reading posts I have already read.

If ALL the posts in the "quote" are important, by all means keep them. If not, here's what you can do to make your post readable.

In the graphic below, I did a "Quote" on one of my posts and selected a bunch of crap that I didn't want to display in my new post. In this example, I only wanted to display the words "I hope the cops get crucified."

A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  One10

Then I deleted it. Leaving the opening bracket sequence and the closing bracket sequence (that the forum software needs for instruction purposes)

A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  Two_10

Now I just type my response after the second bracket and my response looks much cleaner.

Call me anal-retentive if you wish, but this helps.

What? lol

Gunz wrote:What? lol

How 'bout picky?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yomama wrote:PB, when the office was using dumb terminals and everything was in command-lines (Remember Gopher? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_%28protocol%29), I used a UNIX terminal emulation software package called Reflections. It allowed scripting, so I recorded a morning routine. The scripted routine involved going out and getting weather reports, downloading weather maps, getting news, and God knows whatever else. With one command, I could run the routine every morning and have a ton of stuff downloaded automatically.

You're way ahead of me with the computer expertise! I knew nothing about how they were built, and still don't know much. used to be pretty good with HTML, but that's as far as it goes Now, I'm more into putting a forum, email list or chatroom together using the stuff that's already invented. !

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 7/18/2012, 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total

In the late 1970's, we used to build computers (our own) and the chips were plugged into the boards, one by one... processor, RAMs, Bios, etc.

Before Plug-'N-Play, building a system was a son-of-a-bitch! You had to set Internet Interrupt Request numbers manually and components fought for system resources, trying to reside at the same address. Boards had tiny DIP switches that had to be set for your configuration (pic)
A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  800px-10

Nowadays, you buy a board, plug it into the motherboard and the system configures to use the board.

Last edited by Yomama on 7/18/2012, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I just skip over the stuff.....

Joanimaroni wrote:I just skip over the stuff.....

Wat chew mean, Joani?

Yomama wrote:In the late 1970's, we used to build computers (our own) and the chips were plugged into the boards, one by one... processor, RAMs, Bios, etc.

Before Plug-'N-Play, building a system was a son-of-a-bitch! You had to set Internet Request numbers manually and components fought for system resources, trying to reside at the same address. Boards had tiny DIP switches that had to be set for your configuration (pic)

Nowadays, you buy a board, plug it into the motherboard and the system configures to use the board.

You might find these interesting, I ordered 5. one is going to be used for a media center pc with xubuntu. These things are awesome and have so many uses.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Yomama wrote: (whine alert), dammit, when there are quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes (ad nauseum) it gets difficult to read who said what and you gotta scroll up, then down, just to determine what was said.

Thanks, I hate all the looking up and down too and it is confusing for an older person! I could never see the point of the quote after quote etc. Excellent!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Yomama wrote:In the late 1970's, we used to build computers (our own) and the chips were plugged into the boards, one by one... processor, RAMs, Bios, etc.

I took some classes back in the 60's in the days of punch cards and wiring boards using wires and plugs that (if I remember correctly)looked like the very old timey telephone operator switchboard kind of set up. Ugh.

Markle

Markle

Before Plug-'N-Play, building a system was a son-of-a-bitch! You had to set Internet Request numbers manually and components fought for system resources, trying to reside at the same address. Boards had tiny DIP switches that had to be set for your configuration (pic)
A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  800px-10

Just imagine had Al "Snake Oil Salesman" Gore not invented the internet. What would Bill and Steve done with all that extra time on their hands?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Why do you have to turn every single discussion into a jab against the Democrats? Oh, that's right...because they PAY YOU TO DO IT. Judas.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Like Othershoe, I took EDP in 1968, when the computers took up entire rooms and punch cards were the norm, and then assembly language, just as she described, with a portable "motherboard" that looked like a section from a telephone operator's switchboard. When we accessed "the internet", we used an old black dial phone with rubber mufflers to set the handset into. In EDP, we used Cobol; the engineers used Fortran. I know very little about HTML, except what it is, but I'm basically clueless when it comes to using it, which is an obvious handicap here.

alecto wrote:

Before Plug-'N-Play, building a system was a son-of-a-bitch! You had to set Internet Interrupt Request numbers manually and components fought for system resources, trying to reside at the same address. Boards had tiny DIP switches that had to be set for your configuration (pic)

You might find these interesting, I ordered 5. one is going to be used for a media center pc with xubuntu. These things are awesome and have so many uses.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I have been watching these for a while, Alecto. So, what are you going to do with the rest of them?

We are pretty good porch monkeys... sitting out on the back patio and listening to music. I use the iPad's app Remote (runs iTunes) or LogMeIn (runs Media Center) to run my laptop, which serves up the music to the stereo receiver. The response is slow, but it works. I like technology!!!

We have several houses and I'm looking for a reasonable wifi remote for my hot water heater. It would be nice if I could turn it on and off remotely. That way, I could turn it on when we are a couple of hours away from getting "home". I see that this thermostat comes with a good review for the A/C system: http://reviews.cnet.com/appliances/nest-learning-thermostat/4505-17889_7-35179222.html It's kinda pricey, but it should pay for itself.

Last edited by Yomama on 7/18/2012, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan wrote:
Like Othershoe, I took EDP in 1968, when the computers took up entire rooms and punch cards were the norm, and then assembly language, just as she described, with a portable "motherboard" that looked like a section from a telephone operator's switchboard. When we accessed "the internet", we used an old black dial phone with rubber mufflers to set the handset into. In EDP, we used Cobol; the engineers used Fortran. I know very little about HTML, except what it is, but I'm basically clueless when it comes to using it, which is an obvious handicap here.

When I took Statistics at UWF in 1972, I couldn't afford one of those newfangled calculators. One that added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided was over $300. I don't think it had a memory either.

Thankfully they had a "Math Lab". This Lab was a skinny room with a table down one side. It had clunky calculator Wang keyboards with really fat cables that ran to the CPU on the floor. The CPU looked like a baseboard heater. There were Nixie Tube displays on the table behind the calculator keyboard. I was so impressed. Here's what Nixie Tubes look like.
A suggestion from an "Anal-Retentive"  Anita110

FT, if you are having problems doing something here, let me know. I'll figure it out and post a tutorial. This forum gives us a lot more flexibility than the PNJ did. We might as well use it...

Yomama wrote:
I have been watching these for a while, Alecto. So, what are you going to do with the rest of them?

Like I said one will be a media center using xubuntu with FLIRChttp://flirc.tv/. Another device you might find interesting, I love mine (I use an old VCR remote to control the media center). Plan on using one as an on the fly programmer for my truck, been working on that code for months. I have been using a laptop and it's just to big. With the raspberrys HDMI output and USB I can use the touch screen on the radio to see the display and control it while putting the CPU under the dash. If I can make it work. Going to use one as a whole house monitoring system that I can access with a cell phone app, right now I have an old desktop that ties the cameras, alarm system, electrical panels and various PLC devices together. The last two I plan on using as micro servers with a NAS array on the internet, they will replace an old dell server that streams audio to the internet for a radio station.

alecto wrote: The last two I plan on using as micro servers with a NAS array on the internet, they will replace an old dell server that streams audio to the internet for a radio station.

I have had two Pogoplug devices that you hook hard drives to and access off the net. Both are slow as molasses. I set up a Buffalo NAS for a friend's business, but it quit working as an NAS and Buffalo wasn't helpful in fixing it. Please let me know how your NAS works out. My current Pogoplug setup has a RAID-1 setup (two mirrored 500-gig drives), and it will work to a certain degree, but is too slow to stream video and sometimes too slow to stream music.

VectorMan

VectorMan

I agree. A little editing couldn't hurt.

I remember the dot matrix printer I had for my Commodore 64 had dip switches. Pain in the ass. And, the big fat ribbon printer cable was cumbersome. Man that printer was lo
ud. But it was all pretty cool!

Yomama wrote:
I have had two Pogoplug devices that you hook hard drives to and access off the net. Both are slow as molasses. I set up a Buffalo NAS for a friend's business, but it quit working as an NAS and Buffalo wasn't helpful in fixing it. Please let me know how your NAS works out. My current Pogoplug setup has a RAID-1 setup (two mirrored 500-gig drives), and it will work to a certain degree, but is too slow to stream video and sometimes too slow to stream music.

We had a Synology DS410 that worked great, easy setup but was not that fast. We switched it out for a Synology DS1512+ which so far has been lightning fast. Before we could get 75 users streaming audio and the DS410 would start to bog down with the DS1512+ we have had 300+ users with no performance issues at all, but we did also install a Barracuda Load Balancer. The server does a file sync every weekend with a remote NAS, both sites have T3 internet connections and it can transfer 100-300 GB fairly quick while still having users online streaming audio.

I have had bad experiences with Buffalo and QNAP NAS's. Both have clunky user interfaces that are not as intuitive as Synology. The synology DSM interface is awesome. One of the main issues was with the system software going south and the recovery options are confusing.

http://www.techspot.com/review/510-synology-diskstation-ds1512-plus/

alecto wrote:http://www.techspot.com/review/510-synology-diskstation-ds1512-plus/

Wow! I can't justify spending that kind of money for personal use. The boss (my lovely bride) would kill me Smile (When she was in the 2nd grade, they called her Queen Wildcat. She could whup any boy in the grammar school!)

I probably have $225 in the cheap Pogoplug and the cheap Western Digital dual-drive My Book all together.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum